AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 168 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah I think I might build a system now, the only this I am having issue with is deciding on the Motherboard and Ram... Looking for a good deal on a combo that will be able to hit ~3000 or 3200, any suggestions.

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
Yeah I think I might build a system now, the only this I am having issue with is deciding on the Motherboard and Ram... Looking for a good deal on a combo that will be able to hit ~3000 or 3200, any suggestions.

What's your budget and what are you wanting to do with it? This mainly determines some parts and recommendations for you. If you say your budget is 600, can easily price out a nice motherboard and cpu, and 16 GB's of RAM as well. And this is top notch for gaming.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
What's your budget and what are you wanting to do with it? This mainly determines some parts and recommendations for you. If you say your budget is 600, can easily price out a nice motherboard and cpu, and 16 GB's of RAM as well. And this is top notch for gaming.

I am getting the 1700, I don't really have a budget for what I will spend, looks like I do need a 370x motherboard as I need a lot of USB 3.0 slots, and extra sata. and 16 GB(8x2) of ram most likely unless there is a good deal on 32( 16GBx2). Looking to find a good deal on something that will work well

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
I am getting the 1700, I don't really have a budget for what I will spend, looks like I do need a 370x motherboard as I need a lot of USB 3.0 slots, and extra sata. and 16 GB(8x2) of ram most likely unless there is a good deal on 32( 16GBx2). Looking to find a good deal on something that will work well

1700 is a good choice. I picked one up when it was 309. Now there's a bigger sale for it today only. (269 at newegg)
I love overclocking and what not. But, any of the big manufacturers will be good for you. C6H from ASUS or Aorus Gigabyte, or even ASRock Taichi are nice. Even MSI is fantastic. Are you planning on gaming or what? You can even get away with a B350 board, which some have a decent amount of USB ports as well if you don't plan on overclocking. Don't need a super high end board, as both X370 and B350 allow that option.

Paul98

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2010
1700 is a good choice. I picked one up when it was 309. Now there's a bigger sale for it today only. (269 at newegg)
I love overclocking and what not. But, any of the big manufacturers will be good for you. C6H from ASUS or Aorus Gigabyte, or even ASRock Taichi are nice. Even MSI is fantastic. Are you planning on gaming or what? You can even get away with a B350 board, which some have a decent amount of USB ports as well if you don't plan on overclocking. Don't need a super high end board, as both X370 and B350 allow that option.

Yeah did notice that there were B350 boards with the number of slots I need. I was planning to overclock a little bit, nothing crazy, I will be gaming, doing work in UE4, visual studio, streaming. I noticed some boards are getting much better support or updated more quickly. Didn't feel I needed the top end boards even though they look nice.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Holy shit, I feel like an idiot.. I bought the 1600 which I'm happy with at $219. Coulda waited 2 months and gotten the 1700.
I feel similarly. (Though not like an idiot, only that perhaps I should have delayed my instant gratification, as I could have gotten a better deal then.)

That's a GREAT price on an 8C/16T CPU. If they were that price initially, I would have waited on my 1600 CPUs, and gotten the 1700 8-core CPUs.

Reactions: Drazick

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Oh, yes, the PCI-E x16 bottom slot (x4 electrically) on the AB350M Pro4, will come in handy for one of those new Asus 10GbE PCI-E x4 cards, with the Aquantis chipset.

I hope the availability of that $100 GbE card, spurs demand for 10GbE over copper in the home, and in 3-4 years, 10GbE ports become standard on all but the most-budget motherboards.

Reactions: Drazick and IEC

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Oh, yes, the PCI-E x16 bottom slot (x4 electrically) on the AB350M Pro4, will come in handy for one of those new Asus 10GbE PCI-E x4 cards, with the Aquantis chipset.

I hope the availability of that $100 GbE card, spurs demand for 10GbE over copper in the home, and in 3-4 years, 10GbE ports become standard on all but the most-budget motherboards.

Personally I wish that they released them as 1x adapters. 1x PCIE 3.0 can cover like 90+% of the theoretical transfer speed of 10GbE.

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
looks like the ASRock motherboards are all on a good sale on newegg right now such as, but really any of them
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813157774

Debating between the Tachi and Gaming X, just depends on if it's worth the difference

The only boards I've used so far for the AM4 platform are the ASRock Taichi and the MSI B350 Gaming Pro and the X370 Gaming Carbon. Those are my recommendations. I love the Taichi though, as it has the highest vrm phase count out of all the other enthusiast boards. If you want to do light overclocking and gaming, and productivity, select the MSI ones.

MarkPost

Mar 1, 2017
Yes, i was looking at HWINFO as well, but couldn't find any VRM temp info there, so I guess the tomahawk doesn't report it :(

This is a screenshot while running Prime95 (large FFT, max power-consumption) test for about 30 minutes . All the MB info in HWiNFO is listed on the right side, but no VRM info (I can also send the csv dump, if it helps).

El3b9x4.png

I currently set the voltage in BIOS to 1.3375v and LLC to Mode2 (20%). This lowered the voltage a bit in Prime95. During this 30 minute power test the Core voltage alternated between 1.352v - 1.360v and the temps didn't exceed 80 degrees. In Blender, Cinebench, and non-power Prime tests it doesn't go above 1.344v.

The only slight concern i have (vs Auto voltage) is that now my idle is a bit on the high side, being around 1.328v during average desktop use. That shouldn't be anything catastrophic as AMD only warns against going over 1.35v 24/7, but still i would like it to be lower. Therefore, I'm currently playing around with the Windows Power plans to get the <1v idle back.

78Cº on average is a very good temp, running largeFFT P95, specially with really low rpm with your system fans. I would push those fans higher (~1200rpm), when prime or heavy loads. CPU temp will be even better, and VRM and other components temp should be clearly improved too

Last edited:
Reactions: Gideon

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
I pulled the trigger on an Asus Strix X370-F board. The Taichi is on sale right now for the same price and also has a $10 rebate. Definitely wanted it from the outset. I figured since the Strix is new I would give people an idea of how good it is. It also has dedicated headers for water pumps and I plan on doing a custom loop soon. I realize that I can always get power via sata, or 4 pin molex, or PWM splitter, but it's a nice feature to have the headers.

Why did I get a new board you might ask? The Biostar BIOS still soft corrupts when there is a POST failure. If this happens and you try to change settings after reboot the settings will not function correctly. Voltage being one of the big ones. I can put 1.4 into the chip in the BIOS, but it actually will only output 1.353 max. Setting voltage with Ryzen Master will work correctly though. That is how I know it's the BIOS. To fix the issue the CMOS battery must be pulled. BIOS clear jumper will not fix it. It's pretty annoying. More annoying is that the saved OC profiles will clear with a full reset or a jumper reset. It's hilariously useless. The other issue is that my performance is all over the place. I can bench and be at a perf level a given overclock should be, reboot, and then lose performance. I can't tell if it's the board or the chip initializing at settings it considers more stable. It doesn't seem to be the memory or IMC. I can change from 2933 or 3200 and the perf won't really change. RTC shows the same values at each clockrate. Anyways I knew Biostar was a bit of a gamble. Technically the board is awesome components and quality. It's worth looking at vs everything else out there. Everyone on OCN is very happy with their GT7. They aren't having the issues I am. They also all have Ryzen X chips. I think I am the only one with the non X 1700. Maybe that is it or maybe it isn't.

anj2208

Mar 28, 2017
For those with asrock b350 pro out there. Whats the best ram speed you achieved and appreciate if you can share your timing and ram type. Tq

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I'm thinking about buying a ryzen 1700 to swap out with my 1500x. Are these generally overclockable up to 1800 levels with the stock cooler? Board is the Gigabyte X370 Gaming K5.

Technotronic

Jul 12, 2017
I'm thinking about buying a ryzen 1700 to swap out with my 1500x. Are these generally overclockable up to 1800 levels with the stock cooler? Board is the Gigabyte X370 Gaming K5.
Which cooler will you be using? And the general answer is yes, as they seem to be limited to 4.1ghz as the max most of the time.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Which cooler will you be using? And the general answer is yes, as they seem to be limited to 4.1ghz as the max most of the time.

Stock cooler. I can get the 1500x into the 3.9-4 Ghz range with its stock and I'm hoping to do the same with the 1700. I've got it in a little Riotoro cube case for easy transport so I need something low profile and would prefer to stick to stock if possible.

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
For those with asrock b350 pro out there. Whats the best ram speed you achieved and appreciate if you can share your timing and ram type.
Asrock AB350M Pro4 here with G.Skill Flare X 3200 2x8 kit. It's running at 3333/14/14/14/14/34 under BIOS 2.50 (AGESA 1.0.0.6). I loaded the XMP profile and changed the frequency *only*.

Note that this is the Micro-ATX version.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Stock cooler. I can get the 1500x into the 3.9-4 Ghz range with its stock and I'm hoping to do the same with the 1700. I've got it in a little Riotoro cube case for easy transport so I need something low profile and would prefer to stick to stock if possible.

Expect more like 3.6GHz-3.8GHz depending on how much voltage you need to OC. An OC to 3.7GHz should match an 1800X.

FWIW my 1800X will do 3.8GHz on 1.25V. This is a little less voltage versus most 1700 results I have seen out there. You may be able to do 3.7GHz on 1.25V or less if you get a good sample.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
What's a good low profile cooler for a 1700 then? If I'm going to have to buy another cooler to get the job done, I'll probably pay the $20-$30 extra and get the 1700x since it is better binned. I'd like to take advantage of Amazon's cheap prices and upgrade now (I also get 5% back).