AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 160 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

D00m3dHitm4n

Mar 14, 2017
Welp... updated my Asus Prime X370-Pro mobo to the latest Bios 0803 with AGESA 1006 and I still cant get my 3000MHz Trident Z RGB sticks to run at 2993 :-(

Dante80

Jun 3, 2009
For the last month, I've been a happy mother of a 1600X based system. Here is what I got:

Fractal Define C
Ryzen 1600X (w Corsair H110i Extreme)
Asrock X370 Taichi
G.SKILL Flare X 16GB 3200Mhz
XFX RX480 8GB GTR OC
Samsung 960 EVO 1Tb
Seasonic Prime 650W Titanium

Very satisfied so far. Was originally going for the 8 core, but 1600X had such a good price that I decided to go for it. With the money difference I chose to double the PCI-E SSD size and refrain from getting a HDD altogether.

Someone handed me some industrial PWM Noctua fans too (the black ones), so I promptly put 5 on them in the rig (2x140 on the rad, 2x140 on the top and a 120 on the back). Was seriously doubting whether that was a good choice as soon as I POSTed, those 2000rpm fans are pretty loud!. I was psychologically ready to dabble on speedfan for a day or two, but I found out that simply running the Asrock BIOS option for auto fan control made the whole rig whisper quiet. The fact that both GPU and PSU run fanless on idle/browsing/movies etc helps a lot too.

Have not tried OCing yet, other than setting the memory to a 3200Mhz 14/14/14/34/52 profile. The whole thing is reporting pretty good temperatures though, to the point that I don't hear the fans unless I'm stressing the system. At all.

And running something like Furmark/Prime95 for an hour or so provides still glorious temps (that 280 AIO+Noctua combo is worth it)..albeit with increased sound.

So far, so good. Really recommending both the case and the fans to anyone interested btw.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
For the last month, I've been a happy mother of a 1600X based system. Here is what I got:

Fractal Define C
Ryzen 1600X (w Corsair H110i Extreme)
Asrock X370 Taichi
G.SKILL Flare X 16GB 3200Mhz
XFX RX480 8GB GTR OC
Samsung 960 EVO 1Tb
Seasonic Prime 650W Titanium

Very satisfied so far. Was originally going for the 8 core, but 1600X had such a good price that I decided to go for it. With the money difference I chose to double the PCI-E SSD size and refrain from getting a HDD altogether.

Someone handed me some industrial PWM Noctua fans too (the black ones), so I promptly put 5 on them in the rig (2x140 on the rad, 2x140 on the top and a 120 on the back). Was seriously doubting whether that was a good choice as soon as I POSTed, those 2000rpm fans are pretty loud!. I was psychologically ready to dabble on speedfan for a day or two, but I found out that simply running the Asrock BIOS option for auto fan control made the whole rig whisper quiet. The fact that both GPU and PSU run fanless on idle/browsing/movies etc helps a lot too.

Have not tried OCing yet, other than setting the memory to a 3200Mhz 14/14/14/34/52 profile. The whole thing is reporting pretty good temperatures though, to the point that I don't hear the fans unless I'm stressing the system. At all.

And running something like Furmark/Prime95 for an hour or so provides still glorious temps (that 280 AIO+Noctua combo is worth it)..albeit with increased sound.

So far, so good. Really recommending both the case and the fans to anyone interested btw.
The 1600X seems to behave extremely well under water. Mine hovers at ~30 degrees idle in my custom CPU+GPU loop (1x240mm rad + 1x 120mm rad, Nidec Gentle Typhoon fans) with the fans barely moving at all. Load temps are harder to pinpoint as it's very dependent on fan speeds (only one fan is controlled by the CPU temp, the other ones are temporarily hooked up to my case's fan controller due to a lack of fan ports), but they've never bothered me. I'm rather envious of your SSD, though :p

Also, you're not alone in going the 1600X over 1700(X) route. Either higher clocks for less money or a very significant price drop for just two less cores. It's an amazing deal. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be the best-selling Ryzen SKU.

Reactions: coffeemonster

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
The 1600X seems to behave extremely well under water.

You might want to rephrase that. It could be... misunderstood... :D

Ryzen is extremely well behaved temperature wise. My 1700 doesn't break 30C idle, with full load hitting around 45C. Torture testing can push that to 55C, but you wont see that with normal workloads. The most impressive is that this is with the stock Wraith Spire cooler. I do have a well ventilated case, but still.

Overall I'm very impressed with Ryzens efficiency.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Ryzen is extremely well behaved temperature wise. My 1700 doesn't break 30C idle, with full load hitting around 45C. Torture testing can push that to 55C, but you wont see that with normal workloads. The most impressive is that this is with the stock Wraith Spire cooler. I do have a well ventilated case, but still.
55C torture testing on a wraith spire? Do you live in an igloo?

Dante80

Jun 3, 2009
I did a test around an hour ago or so, ambient here was 29C (Athens, Greece). The Corsair H110i with 2 Noctuas NF-14A industrial is keeping the CPU at 36.2C idle. And that is because I have chosen (via the Taichi BIOS) to run the fans at ~425rpm.

Under Prime95 (SmartFFT), the CPU gets to a Tdie of 60.5C after half an hour or so.

wRe5sEL.png

But, the fans are still working around 1300rpm then. I can change the profile to send them to 2000rpm and get even cooler, but I don't think the extra noise is worth the hassle.

Overall, I am very impressed. Granted, we are talking about stock speeds here, but still.

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
My understanding is that Ryzen will never allow for more than dual-GPU due to only 20 PCIe lanes, is this true? Maybe in Zen2, anybody got more info? I'm looking to build this for GPU computing (rendering and animation to be more precise) so SLI/Crossfire is not even a consideration, in fact you have to disable it for the render engine to work properly.

Here's my current list for the build:

Corsair Obsidian 900D
Asus CROSSHAIR VI HERO
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, Zen, 8-core with SMT, 3.6GHz
(comes with OC service to 4GHz)
Corsair Hydro Series H110i - 280mm AIO liquid cooler (Thanks Dante80 for feedback on efficiency!)
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2400MHz
(not fussed about RAM too much, it's GPU memory that counts for me)
11GB EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 (one for starters and looking to add more as budget becomes available - hence the quad-gpu question)
1000W Corsair RM, Full-Modular
250GB Samsung 960 Evo, PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe SSD
Corsair ML140 PRO (a couple of them...)

Any feedback is more than welcome, only getting it in August, this puppy will set me back £2500, happy to hear about new tech becoming available in the meantime.

Would love to switch to AMD, have always been a fan, my first 1GHz build back in 2003 was based on Athlon, but it's like choosing between Lamborghini and Landrover for off-road trips, you'd love the Lambo but the butt-ugly Landrover is better at this. Ryzen seems my (and many others') ticket to finally realiably switching to AMD, is there any way to get more than 2gpus in the long run??

Cheers!
V.

Reactions: Drazick

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008

Holy s**t how did I not know about that :| I did hear about Threadripper but didn't read too much about it, was on the road a lot lately.

See, that is exactly what I'm looking for, and since they're only coming out in August, it's perfect timing... sort of, they'll be expensive because of the hype.

To be completely honest, Threadripper might be a bit overkill **cough** said the nutcase who wants quad-gpu **cough** simply because it might not be used as much. In my workflow, CPU handles shader, animation and some specific although often encountered geometry manipulation, the GPUs do the heavy lifting of actually delivering the final image. But if those mobos can use a 1800x to drive the GPUs, bloody perfect!

Thanks Pick2, good shout, will keep a drooling eye on that for sure! - funny enough, wasn't expecting AsRock to be on the showcase for this beast, don't see their name in the high-end too much...

Cheers!
V.

Pick2

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2017
Welcome you are.
An 1800X won't fit , it's a new socket with ... like .... 4094 pins and is very large. Quad channel memory Also !

:D I just got so excited my wife Wet herself :p:D

Reactions: DaQuteness

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
Yeah... been reading a bit after you replied... better get on with marketing then, I need new clients to offset the cataclismic impact of that beast on my finances.

The annoying thing is, every time I speak to someone about getting the best available stuff they say I'm being a bit of a douce, but if I can save 10h worth of trial-and-error renders a week, it's a 20% increase in productivity, 20% decrease in delivery time and therefore I can get more clients on, meaning this pays itself off in the long run.

Anyway, I digress, thanks again for the shock and my apologies to the missus for causing the excitement overload :)

Cheers!
V.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
My understanding is that Ryzen will never allow for more than dual-GPU due to only 20 PCIe lanes, is this true? Maybe in Zen2, anybody got more info? I'm looking to build this for GPU computing (rendering and animation to be more precise) so SLI/Crossfire is not even a consideration, in fact you have to disable it for the render engine to work properly.

Here's my current list for the build:

Corsair Obsidian 900D
Asus CROSSHAIR VI HERO
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X, Zen, 8-core with SMT, 3.6GHz
(comes with OC service to 4GHz)
Corsair Hydro Series H110i - 280mm AIO liquid cooler (Thanks Dante80 for feedback on efficiency!)
16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2400MHz
(not fussed about RAM too much, it's GPU memory that counts for me)
11GB EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 (one for starters and looking to add more as budget becomes available - hence the quad-gpu question)
1000W Corsair RM, Full-Modular
250GB Samsung 960 Evo, PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe SSD
Corsair ML140 PRO (a couple of them...)

Any feedback is more than welcome, only getting it in August, this puppy will set me back £2500, happy to hear about new tech becoming available in the meantime.

Would love to switch to AMD, have always been a fan, my first 1GHz build back in 2003 was based on Athlon, but it's like choosing between Lamborghini and Landrover for off-road trips, you'd love the Lambo but the butt-ugly Landrover is better at this. Ryzen seems my (and many others') ticket to finally realiably switching to AMD, is there any way to get more than 2gpus in the long run??

Cheers!
V.
The platform is always going to be limited to 20 lanes. A Mobo company could always ad a plx chip to get more out of it. But the choices they make on Ryzen affect the whole platform up to the 32 core EPYC.

Want more lanes get the low end of TR spectrum when that comes out.

Reactions: DaQuteness

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
The platform is always going to be limited to 20 lanes. A Mobo company could always ad a plx chip to get more out of it. But the choices they make on Ryzen affect the whole platform up to the 32 core EPYC.

Want more lanes get the low end of TR spectrum when that comes out.
You're entirely right. The only way this will change from what we already know is if PCIe 4.0 arrives earlier than expected and forces AMD to update/refresh their AM4 platform before their (stated) 2020 goal. Until that happens, 16 lanes for GPUs and 4 for storage is where it's at.

Besides, @DaQuteness , it sounds like Threadripper is exactly the platform you're looking for. Rumors say $899 for the low-end 16c32t SKU, so 12c24t will be even cheaper. And pretty much all the motherboards shown at Computex had four double-spaced PCIe slots (usually 16x, 8x, 16x, 8x).

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
Anyways, I tried setting the previous settings, which were 3800 Mhz core clock, 1.3250V, which I'm at now, but I also used to have my RAM overclocked slightly. I had my Team Dark 2x8GB DDR4-2400 running at 2667. I tried the same thing with the new 2.50 UEFI, and this time, the XMP timings are sticking, even though I chose a higher freq. for the RAM. Looks like I have to increase the timings manually. Before (with UEFI 2.40), it bumped them from 14-16-16-31, to 18-18-18-42 or something like that. (Verified with Ryzen Master.)

Still doesn't appear to have any UEFI settings for the LLC or SoC voltage, or offer an "offset" option for the voltages.
When you overclock the cpu, does cool n quiet (like Intel speedstep) still work or do the clocks and voltage stay elevated even during idle periods like during browsing.

Not having LLC is pretty obnoxious. I wonder if they're using different VRMs in the AB350M Pro4 vs the B350 Pro4?
I'm quite sure the VRMs are the same for both versions of the Pro4 and also the K4.

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
@Valantar check this puppy out: https://rog.asus.com/articles/maxim...ming-for-amds-monster-ryzen-threadripper-cpu/

Although the ROG branding, this is absolutely not for gamers, it's a fully-fledged server board for sure... what on this green earth would you need 4 cards for if not CUDA/OPENCL computing? I assume OC this beast would be for shits and giggles, not really worth it.

Although Asus is being ridiculously hush about the actual PCIe specs, it does seem like it's one of those £600 MBs. And the CPU another £800 (because bloody UK), yep, that will cap me at about £3200 for this build... damn... but I reckon it's worth stretching. Taking a closer look at the CPU slot... it literally looks like two 1800x mushed into one embarrasingly powerful single die, there's only so much you can do with a standard die size. Actually, to me it looks more similar to a Xeon server motherboard than anything else, plus all the gamer swag going on.

... should I be in a different thread for this? It is about Ryzen though :) Just, more asking than contributing this time around, sorry about that.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
Welp... updated my Asus Prime X370-Pro mobo to the latest Bios 0803 with AGESA 1006 and I still cant get my 3000MHz Trident Z RGB sticks to run at 2993 :-(

I'd suggest 1.4V DRAM and 1.15V SOC for a start, and then if it's stable try to reduce those if possible. Also, try 16-16-16-36 rather than Auto for the timings. It should be possible, but then again, RAM support on the Prime X370 isn't that great compared to other X370 boards.

We are in the same boat. Can't get my RAM to run at 3400MT.

At 3466 you're starting to bump into the limit of what the SOC side of the CPU itself is capable of. Keep in mind that this is a ~30% overclock of the infinity fabric and other parts of the CPU that are linked to the memory clock. It's going to require a pretty high SOC voltage and tweaking of other parameters, if it's at all possible. I tried both 3333 and 3466 MHz at up to C18, but it just wasn't stable so I went back to 3200 C14.

Reactions: lightmanek

tnt118

Jan 17, 2010
Just started overclocking a 1700 on the Taichi. Two quick questions:

1) I'm getting some crashes with AIDA64's FPU stress test in an otherwise stable system. Some of what I read online is that it's an unrealistic test and should be disregarded. Thoughts? What's a good "final" determination of stability?

2) FPU aside, I'm stable at 3.7 with 1.3v. A little surprisingly, I'm not stable at 3.8 at 1.35v (crash happens before temps even get high). Is there anything else I can mess with before resorting to higher voltage? I'd hoped to keep things at 1.35 for longevity and temperature reasons.

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
Just started overclocking a 1700 on the Taichi. Two quick questions:

1) I'm getting some crashes with AIDA64's FPU stress test in an otherwise stable system. Some of what I read online is that it's an unrealistic test and should be disregarded. Thoughts? What's a good "final" determination of stability?

2) FPU aside, I'm stable at 3.7 with 1.3v. A little surprisingly, I'm not stable at 3.8 at 1.35v (crash happens before temps even get high). Is there anything else I can mess with before resorting to higher voltage? I'd hoped to keep things at 1.35 for longevity and temperature reasons.

Are you using fixed or offset voltages? What did you set your LLC's to? Most from what I've seen do well on either level 2 or 3 for stability while using an offset of 0125. I need to test this myself, as I get different results between the Taichi and the MSI B350M Gaming Pro. Voltage isn't always going to solve more problems. It may just be at it's limit. That's how overclocking works.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
my board's very similar to the Taichi... used CPU LLC level 3 and VDDCR_SOC level 3; my 1700 is stable @ 3.9ghz all day long (common OC). i haven't OC'd beyond that since like two BIOS ago but I had to crank the voltage to 1.4+ in order to squeeze even 4.0ghz

i still haven't tried the new BIOS, just waiting on the system to decide to not POST again. been fine the last two days though

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
RMhTHN2.jpg

SilverStone FT05B
AMD Ryzen R7 1800X with Scythe Ninja 4 heatsink
ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming (for two LAN ports)
32GB (16GBx2) Kingston/Crucial DDR4-2400 ECC RAM
AMD MSI RX480
ASUS Xonar STX II sound card
240GB MyDigitalSSD BPX OS drive
480GB PNY CS2030 with KryoM.2 adapter VMWare drive
4TB Hitachi 5400RPM data storage drive in Scythe Quiet Drive enclosure
Rosewill SilentNight 500W fanless Power Supply

Finally finished the build and now in the process of migrating software to the new box. The old box is running side by side for the time being, but as soon as I'm done that 4790k is heading up to for sale forums.

Initially wanted to stay cheap, but then couldn't help myself and ended up spending more than I intended. Alongside new CPU/heatsink/Mobo/Ram ended up with new M.2 SSD drives and a new case. The Silverstone FT05B turned out to be a total pain in the ass to work with. I guess I should have known seeing how my other SilverStone GD07 HTPC case is also a pain in the ass to work with, but still. I guess SilverStone likes to keep tradition alive. Really wish FT05 was an inch longer and had another half an inch behind the motherboard for easier cable routing. As it is there is very little clearance for cables, I have to press the side panel when I slide it on, otherwise it'll fail to latch and bow out. There is also very little room for cable routing, sometimes it really felt like there is one and only one way to assemble the whole thing, you will not believe me how many times I had to disassemble the thing because I forgot to route a cable and I couldn't get to it without removing something. Also very little room for power supply/Hard Drive. I got lucky that Scythe Quiet Drive fits just right considering case width and PSU interference from above. I had to file down some metal on the case to make the Scythe Quiet Drive fit, and the power supply could only go in this specific orientation only, but it all fit. Scythe Ninja 4 is also a tight fit, there is probably only half an inch clearance to the side panel, and it also blocks top most pcie 1x slot. Looking back I'm still a bit amazed I managed to make it all work. Also feel a bit resentful at how much time I had to spend doing so. This stuff shouldn't be this hard, definitely took a lot of enjoyment out of the building process.

But in the end it runs, and runs well. The 180mm fans on silverstone case are not as quiet as I would have liked. I still want to tinker a bit with them, but right now I set them up so that at idle they spin at 500-600RPM at which point they're practically inaudible. However, raise the RPMs by just 200 to 700-800 and suddenly they're roaring. The system stays cool though. Scythe heatsink is barely warm to the touch, so is rosewill fanless power supply, Hitachi 4TB HDD is in low 30's despinte being in sound deadening enclosure, PNY CS2030 is at low 40's, the BPX OS drive runs hot though at high 60's. As soon as KryoM.2 Micro comes to US I'll get one to bring those temps down.

As I said, the building experience was a bit tainted having to spend so much time trying to cram all of that stuff inside SilverStone case, but it's nice to see full 8 cores running smoothly. Now I can have multiple VMs running with 2 cores each without affecting my host. Just the other day I had VM running doing something heavy and the CPU utilization on my host hardly budged.

Feels a bit ironic that I finished my Ryzen build only a few weeks before ThreadRipper launch, I actually entertained the idea of scrapping my Ryzen build and moving to ThreadRipper for a second. Fortunately I think this feeling is going to pass. I'll never run Multi GPU setups, so I don't need more PCIE lanes, 8 cores is also the right amount for me right now, and while $850'ish is an incredible bargain for 16 cores, I just don't want to spend that much money, not to mention having to buy expensive x399 motherboard and a new heatsink yet again. If AMD updates Ryzen architecture to 6 ccx cores for 12 full cores on 7nm Ryzen2 die, then I'll be set for the next decade. That's going to be one sweet deal, here's to hoping!

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Interesting, my BPX doesn't seem to run hotter than 52-53C most of the time. Might be something to do with airflow?