AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 161 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tnt118

Jan 17, 2010
Are you using fixed or offset voltages? What did you set your LLC's to? Most from what I've seen do well on either level 2 or 3 for stability while using an offset of 0125. I need to test this myself, as I get different results between the Taichi and the MSI B350M Gaming Pro. Voltage isn't always going to solve more problems. It may just be at it's limit. That's how overclocking works.

I was doing fixed and hadn't messed with LLC yet. I'll start messing with that soon as I get a chance. Thanks!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm, well, guess what kiddos, it's Ryzen time X2! Yes, I bought a second Ryzen 5 1600 CPU, because I liked the first one so much, and it needed company. :p

Call my setup "ThreadRipper Lite", or whatever. 12 cores / 24 threads total, for $221 + $211 for the two CPUs, and $83 + $90 for the boards. I got identical boards too, which might have been a mistake, but at least now if one pukes, I can swap it out.

Don't have a case picked out for the second one yet, nor do I have a watercooler for it.

But I'm looking forward to spectacular dual Ryzen 5s! Couldn't resist.

I know I'm not alone, there's someone on this forum with a sig with like THREE Ryzen rigs. The more, the merrier, I always say.

I plan on doing mostly distributed-computing with them. I almost bought a 1700, or possibly a 1600X to get a higher overclock, but the 1600 was on sale for $10 off. That seems to be mostly the sweet-spot for Ryzen pricing, the 1600 or possibly 1600X. They must sell, too, because they rarely go on sale, unlike the cheaper 1400 and 1500X, and the more expensive 1700X and 1800X, that have seen fairly deep retailer price cuts on them.

DaQuteness

Mar 6, 2008
May I ask what kind of distributed computing are you aiming for? I'm kind of in the same situation but I really ideally need more GPU power than CPU, but won't mind looking this way either :)

Reactions: Drazick

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
Whatever BOINC project runs on CPU-only. Like a lot of WCG projects, some PrimeGrid (although they have MANY projects that run on a GPU, and run well, there are still a bunch of them that are CPU-only, although many of those also support AVX opcodes.)

What does your output look like a day? Are these 24/7 BOINC/WCG? Or Seti? I folded for XS, but forgot my login information.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What does your output look like a day? Are these 24/7 BOINC/WCG? Or Seti? I folded for XS, but forgot my login information.
We do have a dedicated Distributed Computing sub-forum on this forum, just to note.

I haven't been strictly monitoring my output, and I only run 10 threads, to leave some CPU time for other things (web browsing, Skype), but you can check the weekly stats thread in the DC sub-forum for my username, the most recent one has my stats for my single Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.7-ish.

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
We do have a dedicated Distributed Computing sub-forum on this forum, just to note.

I haven't been strictly monitoring my output, and I only run 10 threads, to leave some CPU time for other things (web browsing, Skype), but you can check the weekly stats thread in the DC sub-forum for my username, the most recent one has my stats for my single Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.7-ish.

I will check that out. My primary rig which is a 1700X and Taichi is used for gaming and streaming, and my secondary 1600X with B350M Gaming Pro is used as a makeshift server for Plex and webhosting. I do miss folding, watching huge numbers. I would like to get a better GPU for my usage or wait for Vega. Not sure yet. So many upgrades to do this summer. It is getting hot here as well, so I went back to stock until it cools down a bit.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Hmm, well, guess what kiddos, it's Ryzen time X2! Yes, I bought a second Ryzen 5 1600 CPU, because I liked the first one so much, and it needed company. :p

Call my setup "ThreadRipper Lite", or whatever. 12 cores / 24 threads total, for $221 + $211 for the two CPUs, and $83 + $90 for the boards. I got identical boards too, which might have been a mistake, but at least now if one pukes, I can swap it out.

Don't have a case picked out for the second one yet, nor do I have a watercooler for it.

But I'm looking forward to spectacular dual Ryzen 5s! Couldn't resist.

I know I'm not alone, there's someone on this forum with a sig with like THREE Ryzen rigs. The more, the merrier, I always say.

I plan on doing mostly distributed-computing with them. I almost bought a 1700, or possibly a 1600X to get a higher overclock, but the 1600 was on sale for $10 off. That seems to be mostly the sweet-spot for Ryzen pricing, the 1600 or possibly 1600X. They must sell, too, because they rarely go on sale, unlike the cheaper 1400 and 1500X, and the more expensive 1700X and 1800X, that have seen fairly deep retailer price cuts on them.

The prices right now are just awesome and its taking everything in me not to purchase a second Ryzen rig too. Heck I was actually trying to sell off the one I have now for some unforeseen bill money needed, but I really am not wanting to part with my baby.Kinda trying to hold out for that 16c/32t beast getting ready to come out.Not that I need it or anything.Just want one to fill my Epeen ego :) ..

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
The latest BIOS for my Asus Prime B350-Plus added a new, 2800mhz ram speed.

I can now run my 4 sticks of ram at 2800mhz, previously only able to hit 2600.

(When I started and just had the two sticks, I was able to hit 2933. I suppose a new test for me will be to yank out two sticks and see if I can hit 3200)

Reactions: richierich1212

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
The latest BIOS for my Asus Prime B350-Plus added a new, 2800mhz ram speed.

I can now run my 4 sticks of ram at 2800mhz, previously only able to hit 2600.

(When I started and just had the two sticks, I was able to hit 2933. I suppose a new test for me will be to yank out two sticks and see if I can hit 3200)

Is it on AGESA 1.0.0.6? If it is, see if you can try putting it at 2T instead of 1T. Might be able to clock higher that way.

Jen

Elite Member
Dec 8, 1999
Has anyone tried underclocking / undervolting ryzen to lower the wattage to say full load 35 to 45 watts? A friend is wanting a 1600 or ? but wants it at a lower wattage at full load even if it means underclocking it if possible. So I am wondering is this possible ?

thank you

Jen

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Has anyone tried underclocking / undervolting ryzen to lower the wattage to say full load 35 to 45 watts? A friend is wanting a 1600 or ? but wants it at a lower wattage at full load even if it means underclocking it if possible. So I am wondering is this possible ?

thank you

Jen

It should be possible.

The Stilt did an analysis of frequency vs voltage:
8Rch6JF.png

You can hit around 3.3GHz with a little over 1.000V for maximum efficiency. Stock voltages I've seen seem to be around 1.20-1.25V for a 1600.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
You can take 1700 at 65W TDP as reference, since dropping 2 cores and maybe some voltage puts you near 45W.

Here's some data someone gathered on another forum. So if you take power consumption at 3Ghz and also consider the lower number of cores on 1600, then 45W TDP @ 3Ghz is possible.

gKDPOmj.png

What Ryzen owners might help you with is checking for configurable TDP options on their motherboards, since that's probably the best way to extract most performance for a given TDP (maximize clocks depending on load).

AFAIK, based on the findings of The Stilt , cTDP is enabled on Ryzen but not supported in desktop motherboards. Maybe he'll chime in and help.

noneis

Mar 4, 2017

thank you

Jen
My 1700 runs:
Prime Small FTT
P2: 2,1 Ghz @ 0.725V ~ 31.5W Package Power
P1: 2,8 Ghz @ 0.900V ~ 46.5W Package Power
P0: 3.7 Ghz @ 1.1875V ~ 91W Package Power (but higher CPU+SoC Power ~ 104W)

OCCT Linpack+AVX
P2: 2,1 Ghz @ 0.725V ~ 38.5W Package Power
P1: 2,8 Ghz @ 0.900V ~ 60.5W Package Power
P0: 3.7 Ghz @ 1.1875V ~ 122W Package Power

Edit: all with 0.94V SOC and Balanced power plan (Power saving plan decreases package power by ~2W)

Last edited:

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001

Where is the real Larry and what have you done with him?

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
So I've been having this ... well, I won't even call it an issue, but an odd thing is happening with my 1600X. At idle, temperatures are very unstable, or rather fluctuate along a very specific pattern: they drop slowly from ~40 degrees to ~30 (anything from 28 to 33), before instantly shooting up to 38-40 degrees again. This repeats seemingly ad infinitum. This happens both in Ryzen Master (showing correct temps) and HWMonitor (showing +20 degrees).

Any idea what might be causing this? It's cooled by a custom water cooling loop including my GPU. The GPU is entirely idle when this happens, and entirely thermally stable (rock solid 31 degrees).

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
So I've been having this ... well, I won't even call it an issue, but an odd thing is happening with my 1600X. At idle, temperatures are very unstable, or rather fluctuate along a very specific pattern: they drop slowly from ~40 degrees to ~30 (anything from 28 to 33), before instantly shooting up to 38-40 degrees again. This repeats seemingly ad infinitum. This happens both in Ryzen Master (showing correct temps) and HWMonitor (showing +20 degrees).

Any idea what might be causing this? It's cooled by a custom water cooling loop including my GPU. The GPU is entirely idle when this happens, and entirely thermally stable (rock solid 31 degrees).

Because there's always some sort of activity. Processor is never truly idle. This is normal thermal variance. Check out core temp and look at how there's some slight load on your cpu. Any sort of load, even if it's 1-5% will cause this. Even from moving your mouse cursor.

Reactions: T1beriu

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
think i ran one too many vray renders and my machine crashed real hard during several minutes of 100% CPU usage... yikes.

used this as an excuse to update the BIOS and try the new mem code. flash went fine and the memory still runs at 3200mhz so I guess I'll play with it some more tomorrow after work.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

I noticed that too, at idle. I'm also on water. Not sure what it is. Sensor anomaly? It doesn't seem to happen at nearly-full load.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Does anyone use their Ryzen (OCed) with a Radeon Rx 470 4GB (XFX dual hard-swap fan model), and get "orange flashes" in Windows 10 Pro Creator's Edition 64-bit?

I wasn't getting them with the NV cards, but now I'm getting them with the RX 470, for some reason.

The weird thing is, I was getting them with a Skylake i5-6400 that was fairly-heavily BCLK-OCed, too, with a different unit, but the same mfg/model.

Different DDR4 RAM brand too.

Edit: I should clarify, it's basically like the Red and Blue RGB channels get swapped, for part of the frame. It never seems to do it full-frame, always a portion of the frame. Very strange behavior.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
video ram issue, at the Windows 10 Desktop??? I mean, it's at 4K60, but still. 4GB should be enough for desktop purposes, shouldn't it?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Seems like it could be the cable. Weird that it only happens when things heat up, though. Like the video card's output ports are going out of analog timing spec when they heat up, and the cable isn't helping.

I replaced a 10' HDMI high-speed cable, with a 6' HDMI high-speed cable that I know the brand works fairly well. (It's a sort of branded generic.)

The issue hasn't happened yet again. I'm going to leave it crunching for a while, just to make sure.

But at this early point, it seems like it possibly was the cable.