AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 159 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Well, with the Wraith Spire air cooler included with my Ryzen 5 1600, overclocked to 3.70Ghz, at 1.2875V VCORE, I was hitting 86C Package Temp. (That's the temp that the Ryzen Master software monitors.)

Which, seems rather high to me.

Which, is why I wonder if the 2.400V that HWMonitor is reporting, is somehow accurate? CPU-Z and Ryzen Master report normal CPU VCORE ranges.

The UEFI in my ASRock AB350M Pro4 (2.40) doesn't seem to offer "offset voltage", "SoC voltage", or "LLC level" settings.
What are your motherboard/chipset temps like? That's usually a decent indication of case airflow in my experience. Lets us figure out if we're looking at a vary bad OC'er of a chip or if your case is simply in need of more airflow.

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
Well, with the Wraith Spire air cooler included with my Ryzen 5 1600, overclocked to 3.70Ghz, at 1.2875V VCORE, I was hitting 86C Package Temp. (That's the temp that the Ryzen Master software monitors.)

Which, seems rather high to me.

Which, is why I wonder if the 2.400V that HWMonitor is reporting, is somehow accurate? CPU-Z and Ryzen Master report normal CPU VCORE ranges.

The UEFI in my ASRock AB350M Pro4 (2.40) doesn't seem to offer "offset voltage", "SoC voltage", or "LLC level" settings.

HWMonitor is clearly wrong. You'd have a fire if it was at 2.4 vcore. Simple tools just aren't reporting correctly. Is your computer still in it's oven (the wooden enclosure)?

Reactions: coffeemonster

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What are your motherboard/chipset temps like? That's usually a decent indication of case airflow in my experience. Lets us figure out if we're looking at a vary bad OC'er of a chip or if your case is simply in need of more airflow.
HWMonitor reports Mainboard temps of low 37C, high 39C, current 38C.

Reactions: Drazick

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
HWMonitor is clearly wrong. You'd have a fire if it was at 2.4 vcore. Simple tools just aren't reporting correctly. Is your computer still in it's oven (the wooden enclosure)?
It's not completely enclosed, but yes, it's still in the cubby. I don't really have any other space to put it in, and I can't fit it on top of my desk, or next to it.

The front of the desk cubby is completely open, and there's a hole in the bottom and top of the back side.

I don't currently have sides on my case, either.

My thoughts with the AIO liquid cooler were, it will effectively pipe the heat to the rear exhaust fan area, and then vent it to the outside of the case, rather than just dumping the heat inside the case, where it may circulate more than exhaust.

I did mount a 120mm fan to the top of the case (there's one fan mount spot there), blowing upwards. And there's a 120mm red LED fan mounted as a front lower intake.

What can I say, it's a cheap case, it only cost me $30, but I had it on hand, and I wanted to get this Ryzen 5 1600 rig built ASAP. I might mount it into a better case later on. (I want a Phantek P400 with RGB LEDs and Tempered Glass side-panel.)

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
It's not completely enclosed, but yes, it's still in the cubby. I don't really have any other space to put it in, and I can't fit it on top of my desk, or next to it.

The front of the desk cubby is completely open, and there's a hole in the bottom and top of the back side.

My thoughts with the AIO liquid cooler were, it will effectively pipe the heat to the rear exhaust fan area, and then vent it to the outside of the case, rather than just dumping the heat inside the case, where it may circulate more than exhaust.

I did mount a 120mm fan to the top of the case (there's one fan mount spot there), blowing upwards. And there's a 120mm red LED fan mounted as a front lower intake.

What can I say, it's a cheap case, it only cost me $30, but I had it on hand, and I wanted to get this Ryzen 5 1600 rig built ASAP. I might mount it into a better case later on. (I want a Phantek P400 with RGB LEDs and Tempered Glass side-panel.)

It sounds like you've taken the exact opposite air flow strategy from the one I used.

I put 2x140mm fans in front drawing air from the open front of my desk cubby, my only significant source of cool air.

I closed off *all* air ports except for the back and the two front fan ports. That forces the cool air entering from the front to exit out the back of the case -- and prevents warm air from recirculating back into the case.

I also put my PS in upside down so a fraction of the front-to-back air flow exits through the PS.

The PS fan never turns on at all and my full load temp stabilized at 62C in my 3725MHz test at 1.225V.

Parts: R5 1600, Asrock AB350M Pro4 BIOS 2.40, Wraith Spire, MSI 1050 TI, Fractal Design Define Mini C, EVGA 750 G3, G.Skill 2x8G 3200@2933),

Last edited:

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012

Gawd, if I could find an old PC-AT desktop case, tank on a desk I'd buy it. Off the floor, tough, and can easily be painted at your local auto body shop.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Parts: R5 1600, Asrock AB350M BIOS 2.40, Wraith Spire, MSI 1050 TI, Fractal Design Define Mini C, EVGA 750 G3, G.Skill 2x8G 3200@2933),
I see you have the same board and UEFI rev. that I do. Are you running Windows 10? Can you download and unzip and run HWMonitor from cpuid.com? And tell me if it reports over 2V VCORE?

Edit: Wait, you have the AB350M, not the Pro4 version? Still interested in your vcore readings.

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
I see you have the same board and UEFI rev. that I do. Are you running Windows 10? Can you download and unzip and run HWMonitor from cpuid.com? And tell me if it reports over 2V VCORE?

Edit: Wait, you have the AB350M, not the Pro4 version? Still interested in your vcore readings.
It is the AB350M Pro4 but I'm running Linux (Mint 18) on this box. The 3725MHz test was at 1.225V BIOS setting, but the voltage difference from yours may just be a result of my lower temps.

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
With all of these recent "price drops" (I put it in quotes because it's not official from AMD, rather retailers are discounting the higher-end Ryzen CPUs for some reason), I may just be tempted to pick up an Ryzen 7 1700(X).

Ryzen is lookin' good!

(Really happy with my Ryzen 5 1600 thus far.)

I have 2 systems so far, and looking to do a 3rd. A few of my friends don't have computers to play games when I do a LAN party, and they are wonderful gaming machines. I'm probably going to either swap my 1700 for a 1700X or else get another 1600. Just a bit disappointed with my overclocking results so far. It's "stable-ish". It boots, it runs stress tests, but cinebench score is lower than stock. I don't know how to possibly fix it.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
odd... no POST last night and I couldn't help but notice that it was quite warm in the room where the Ryzen system is; it was warm the last time it didn't POST either.

probably a coincidence but got me wondering nonetheless

EDIT: another new BIOS to try: version 2.40

we'll see how 1006 does

Last edited:

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Got my AGESA update and my RAM speeds still can't get up to par.
It's definitely better, especially for Hynix die users, but it's not a silver bullet. Depending on your RAM you probably won't just be able to use the XMP profile but with some fine tuning you could get close.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Negative. Should be a pretty quick turn around from beta to official release. Probably next week. I think it was 10 days from the beta BIOS date to the official release for the last AGESA update.
Well, I'm in no hurry really. One of my DIMMs is defective, and the a**holes in the shop I bought them from won't accept me returning just the defective one for diagnosis (heh, no, Norwegian shops don't so cross-shipping, they don't even trust end users to make reliable diagnoses), so I've had to order a temporary kit that I can use while I return my defective kit (and then return the temporary one within the return window. Yeah, this is kinda shady, but I don't have a choice.). I would have simply ordered a new identical kit and asked for a refund, but prices for TridentZ 3200C16 have risen by about 33% since I bought it. Boy, am I happy I pulled the trigger early on that (even if it's defective...).

tnt118

Jan 17, 2010

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Thanks, there was a new UEFI 2.50 for the ASRock AB350M Pro4. I reset to UEFI Defaults, and then flashed it using a USB drive.

(For some reason, previously, but only occasionally, there was a RealTek Networking item in the UEFI, that seems to have disappeared. Trying "Internet Flash" gave an error immediately, that there was no internet connection. Yet, in Windows 10, I have a wired gigabit connection to my LAN, which has a wired internet connection.)

Anyways, I tried setting the previous settings, which were 3800 Mhz core clock, 1.3250V, which I'm at now, but I also used to have my RAM overclocked slightly. I had my Team Dark 2x8GB DDR4-2400 running at 2667. I tried the same thing with the new 2.50 UEFI, and this time, the XMP timings are sticking, even though I chose a higher freq. for the RAM. Looks like I have to increase the timings manually. Before (with UEFI 2.40), it bumped them from 14-16-16-31, to 18-18-18-42 or something like that. (Verified with Ryzen Master.)

Still doesn't appear to have any UEFI settings for the LLC or SoC voltage, or offer an "offset" option for the voltages.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Not having LLC is pretty obnoxious. I wonder if they're using different VRMs in the AB350M Pro4 vs the B350 Pro4?