AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 109 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
I have a feeling that the various coolers have little impact on performance. Like running a cpu at 50C vs 54C, it's not going to impact performance at all. The memory situation is definitely holding back the platform and I hope AMD continues to work with manufacturers on this issue.

MSI has three BIOS'. The initial, and two additional add-ons. It hasn't made any impact on increasing memory speed :(

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Well I guess I wasted money buying a new key for Windows 10 on ebay last night. I seen that windows wasn't activated after reinstalling and it wouldn't take the original key so I bought another one thinking that I had to have a new one to reactivated it. Anyway so I clicked on activate trouble shoot button just by chance and it had me login to my M/S account, the one linked to your Windows Store and Xbox One accounts.Anyway the second I logged in, it had me answer like 2 or 3 questions like was it really me and do I still want to use Windows 10 and then it Auto Activated with no Key needed by me? Its not hacked or a pirated version in anyway its just the plain old version you get right from the Microsoft Windows 10 webpage. very cool feature if you ask me. Just thought I would post this in case any of you run into the same issue maybe try that Windows activation trouble shoot button and login to your account if you have one.

Reactions: richierich1212

Mr Evil

Jul 24, 2015
mrevil.asvachin.com
Dear God, those drives cost more than my entire build. :eek::eek:
I do kind of love how one of your SSDs alone costs roughly the same as the entire rest of the system...
I didn't really want to spend that much on the Samsung, but it's the only 2TB NVMe drive available, and this is the first time in over 5 years that I've been able to really upgrade the CPU (please don't make me wait that long again, AMD), so my upgradeitis was itching badly.

I don't think I can say it was worth the money, but it is nice at times when I install things or copy some files and expect a progress dialog, but instead there is... nothing, because it's finished already.

...You didn't mention a GPU in there.
It's a Fury, which is nearly two years old now. I would have upgraded that too, since it only barely copes at 4k, but AMD are making me wait again...

I get somewhat similar problems on my Taichi-driven system. If I get a bad crash from Windows, my UEFI is no longer able to detect my NVMe ssd (BPX). Ouch! Have to reset the UEFI to get it to reappear.
I wonder if that's related to a problem I had: My Plextor not recognised if I put it in the second, slow M.2 slot, but it does work in the Ultra M.2 slot. The Samsung works in both. It's annoying, since the Samsung would benefit more from being in the faster slot.

Reactions: IEC

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
I just switched out the Corsair LPX 3000 memory for the Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600 2x8 GB. They are marked: CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 ver 4.31

Just enabling D.O.C.P. and setting the speed to 3200 (not bothering with 3600 until AMD release the AGESA update), it POST:ed without problems, but froze after ~1 minute in Windows. Increasing SOC voltage by 0.0125V seems to have been enough to achieve stability. I then tightened the timings from CAS18 to CAS16-18-18-36 to match the LPX 3200's, and this also seems stable, though I need to run more Memtest86+ overnight to be sure.

My LPX 3000's were stable at 2933, but suffered from the cold boot issue from time to time. The LPX 3600's don't seem to have this problem, but this needs more testing to make sure. But so far it seems promising after dozens of warm boots, cold boots and hard and soft reboots.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Microsoft basically doesn't care anymore. They make money by selling your information.

They definitely do not care in my case, since I have been running Insider builds since forever . . . 9962 or whatever was the version just before that, straight on up into 15063 now. I still like to think they were spying on my forum activity since at one point I complained that Win10's performance with linpack on a Kaveri was dismal, and maybe two builds later, it was fixed. Bam! It was better than ever.

They probably would have figured it out without me though.

In all seriousness it took very little effort to get 100% verified Win10 working on my new Ryzen system following the same steps taken by Justinbaileyman. No keys required, all I had to do was log in with my MS account and answer their questions. Sadly what that got me was a retail copy of Windows, when what I wanted was to continue with preview builds (even though what I started with was preview build 14986; it "updated" to retail). I had to manually upgrade in place with another preview build and put myself back into the Insider program (?!?) to get Insider builds again. So, a little weird.

So far all the Insider builds seem to work just fine with Ryzen, though. Not sure if I'm getting the benefit of an improved scheduler or anything . . .

Despoiler

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2007
They definitely do not care in my case, since I have been running Insider builds since forever . . . 9962 or whatever was the version just before that, straight on up into 15063 now. I still like to think they were spying on my forum activity since at one point I complained that Win10's performance with linpack on a Kaveri was dismal, and maybe two builds later, it was fixed. Bam! It was better than ever.

In all seriousness it took very little effort to get 100% verified Win10 working on my new Ryzen system following the same steps taken by Justinbaileyman. No keys required, all I had to do was log in with my MS account and answer their questions. Sadly what that got me was a retail copy of Windows, when what I wanted was to continue with preview builds (even though what I started with was preview build 14986; it "updated" to retail). I had to manually upgrade in place with another preview build and put myself back into the Insider program (?!?) to get Insider builds again. So, a little weird.

So far all the Insider builds seem to work just fine with Ryzen, though. Not sure if I'm getting the benefit of an improved scheduler or anything . . .

I had issues with 1607 GA build not updating to the slow/fast rings also. It's a problem with that build. I had to blow it away and install the slow ring build from ISO. Currently @ 15063. 15063 is faster for Ryzen than 1607 based on benchmarks I ran. They didn't change the scheduler. CoreInfo looks the same. Not sure what changed.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013

I to was a part of the insider build program since day one. Started out on a AMD x4 760k overclocked to 4.8Ghz throttle monster.The first 2 builds were pretty sluggish if Im remembering correctly.Not to bad with later builds though. I even still have that rig, well technically I gave it to my kids but its still in the house for now.Wanting to upgrade there rig to a R5 4c/8t with one of these B350 motherboards I have. Thinking I will keep the Gigabyte gaming 3 and give them the Asrock gaming pro.No need to shell out for balls to the wall parts for them when all they use it for is School work,Movies and Roblox LOL.Its got a R7 7800 2gb GPU in it, should I upgrade there GPU to? Whats a good cheapo GPU upgrade card these days that would be twice the performance of a R7 7800?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
I to was a part of the insider build program since day one. Started out on a AMD x4 760k overclocked to 4.8Ghz throttle monster.The first 2 builds were pretty sluggish if Im remembering correctly.Not to bad with later builds though. I even still have that rig, well technically I gave it to my kids but its still in the house for now.Wanting to upgrade there rig to a R5 4c/8t with one of these B350 motherboards I have. Thinking I will keep the Gigabyte gaming 3 and give them the Asrock gaming pro.No need to shell out for balls to the wall parts for them when all they use it for is School work,Movies and Roblox LOL.Its got a R7 7800 2gb GPU in it, should I upgrade there GPU to? Whats a good cheapo GPU upgrade card these days that would be twice the performance of a R7 7800?

An RX 460 would do it. That one has a $20 mail in rebate to bring it to $69.99 after MIR. There's also a 4GB 460 at $115.99, but after MIR it's $105.99.

Last edited:

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
Ooooh nice, That'll work. Thank you!!

Updated post to include cheapest cards that also have mail in rebates. :) Keep in mind you can unlock more compute units/stream processors on some (maybe all, haven't kept up since I first heard about it) of the RX 460s. Don't know if your kids will need the extra horsepower, but it might be fun for you to do, anyway, and it's free performance so why not.

Last edited:
Reactions: richierich1212

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
There are a large number of popular games (per Steam user numbers) that can get by just fine with 2GB.

I mean, until last year my aging 5870 could play EU IV just fine. Okay, EU IV isn't very graphical intensive. It's not even a game that can use multi-cores. But it is still quite popular and still in development.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
ver 4.31 = Samsung B-die. You got the good stuff.

That's good to know. I searched all over the net but couldn't find this info, but I thought there was a high probability of Samsung with such high frequencies (LPX 3000 and 3200 are mostly Hynix I believe). Bit surprised I had to bump the SOC voltage slightly, but I think it might have to do with the fact that you are actually overclocking the Infinity Fabric at speeds above 2666.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
It doesn't really have to be top end. The only games they have are Roblox, Forza 6, and some lego games. I just figured I'd upgrade there card cause its got to be going on 5 years now that they have been running that r7 7800.I dont think I wanna even try getting into unlocking more cores and all that right now unless its easy as a one click solution which I am guessing its not. Knowing me I'd probably end up bricking it or something.it does have to be strong enough to play dvd's and blu-rays though cause they use there pc for that mostly well next to school work.So far I am liking that rx 460 idea. I found one that is only $69 A/R.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Just an FYI to those wanting to know if their 8GB memory modules are single rank or dual rank... the easiest way to tell doesn't even require software. You simply shine a light from the bottom of the stick of RAM (trace side) and look on either side to see if you can see the RAM modules. If it is only on one side of the stick, it is single rank. If there are modules on both sides, it is dual rank.

I just did that to all my DDR4 and discovered I actually have a pair of DDR4 8GB sticks that are single rank (besides my Flare-X 3200). Unfortunately the other single rank sticks are only DDR4-2400.

CPU-Z reports it as single rank as well. The major difference with my early BIOS on the Gigabyte Gaming 3 between two sets of DDR4-2400 dual rank vs single rank seems to be 2T vs 1T command rate. And slightly better auto-detected timings on the single rank.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I had issues with 1607 GA build not updating to the slow/fast rings also. It's a problem with that build. I had to blow it away and install the slow ring build from ISO. Currently @ 15063. 15063 is faster for Ryzen than 1607 based on benchmarks I ran. They didn't change the scheduler. CoreInfo looks the same. Not sure what changed.

Interesting. I wasn't 100% sure what they changed going into build 9962 that sped up my Kaveri, either. I did get some better drivers from AMD (back then, anything past 15.12 was an ES driver) so that explained some of the improved graphics scores, but the stuff like linpack was just . . . huh? What?

I am not surprised that we're seeing the same with Ryzen.

That's good to know. I searched all over the net but couldn't find this info, but I thought there was a high probability of Samsung with such high frequencies (LPX 3000 and 3200 are mostly Hynix I believe). Bit surprised I had to bump the SOC voltage slightly, but I think it might have to do with the fact that you are actually overclocking the Infinity Fabric at speeds above 2666.

I forget where I found it, but Corsair basically tells you what ICs you're getting with the ver #. Any ver 4.xx is Samsung, while ver 5.xx is Hynix if I recall correctly. Also remember that you will never see Samsung E-die on anything larger than 4 GB DIMMS, so if you buy 8 GB DIMMs, you get either D-die (bad) or B-die (good). And as a general rule, anything DDR4-3466 or higher pretty much has to be Samsung B. Nobody else makes ICs that reliably clock that high.

An RX 460 would do it. That one has a $20 mail in rebate to bring it to $69.99 after MIR. There's also a 4GB 460 at $115.99, but after MIR it's $105.99.

Seconded.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Got my 1700 up to 3.9Ghz stable all cores now. Temps hitting 65-67c after few hours of prime. still at 1.3v set in bios and 1.34-1.36 reported from HW monitor and CPUz. Level 2 LLC.

Im impressed with how well the D15 keeps this chip cool. Especially since considering at stock speed(3.2Ghz) my system was sipping power at 170w drawn from the wall during prime95 testing, and its now up to drawing just over 280w from the wall. So its dealing with alot more power/heat now.

Im going to go for 4Ghz when i get home from work.

This thing was amazingly efficient up till 3.7 or so then it starts to eat power real fast when you push past 3.7.

AMD did a great job with these things.

w3rd

Mar 1, 2017
Interesting....

Also remember that you will never see Samsung E-die on anything larger than 4 GB DIMMS, so if you buy 8 GB DIMMs, you get either D-die (bad) or B-die (good). And as a general rule, anything DDR4-3466 or higher pretty much has to be Samsung B. Nobody else makes ICs that reliably clock that high.

When is Crucial getting into the game..?

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
Yup 3.7GHz is my sweet spot for speed/power consumption. It's crazy how much more power is needed once you go over 1.3v

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Updated post to include cheapest cards that also have mail in rebates. :) Keep in mind you can unlock more compute units/stream processors on some (maybe all, haven't kept up since I first heard about it) of the RX 460s. Don't know if your kids will need the extra horsepower, but it might be fun for you to do, anyway, and it's free performance so why not.
... but if you do that, keep in mind that it excludes you from any driver updates from Crimson ReLive and newer (they require a signed BIOS).

Reactions: Crono