AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 108 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Doom2pro

Apr 2, 2016
May i ask for a source?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JPWlps362U

Check comments for above video, lots of people with same issue:

Same problem as you. I have the identical memory as you. First set was fine until windows updated and got stuck at a black screen. Received my second set two days ago, posted and ran memory tests that came back clean. Fired it up the next morning and no post. Booted to bios and slot A1 was dead. Removed that "bad" module and inserted into slot A2, and no post and running as "Single Channel".

My tridentz died two. gigabyte gaming 3 b350 killed it.

Had the exact thing happen with an asrock tai chi motherboard and the GSkill Tridentz 3200 RGB. Enable xmp profile, boot loop, one stick totally dead, but RGB flickering, other stick RGB dead, but stick still works.

Get those sticks out now! I had exactly the same problem without enabling XMP. I think the memory killed itself with it's own LEDs. The motherboard just took the extra voltage from the mobo and didn't regulate itself killing them on the spot.

I can actually confirm that this is the case, I had 3 sticks lighting go out though none of mine fried and I was just trying to get it to 2400 mgz kind of insane well gonna be tons of fun getting those replaced. I'm curious what board you were using cause I was using the gigabyte aurous gaming 5, which it seems like based on reviews is having a lot of quality control problems

If you look around overclock.net and reddit you will see the same thing, here are a few I remember seeing that I could find:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1625238/help-ryzen-memory-problems/70#post_25942121
http://www.overclock.net/t/1625238/help-ryzen-memory-problems
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/5yquxp/ryzen_issues_with_rgb_memory/des91z2/

Agent-47

Jan 17, 2017

Thanks. reads like a motherboard issue where it seems to be overvolting the sticks when adding RGB lighting. seems to be a gigabyte only issue from the posts. cannot tell for sure.

Reactions: Drazick

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Backed down my 1700 to 3.6GHz 1.175vcore for now because when I was running handbrake my system would just instantly crash and reboot with the CPU at 3.7GHz 1.25vcore. I'll have to dial in the voltage more but I like the temps so far at that speed.
What mode are you running in Windows? I noticed that Windows 10 is putting 8 of my cores to sleep even when they are needed when using balanced mode. Only way I am able to get them to all be used is to set Windows to performance mode in Windows 10. Is this normal?

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Any one else having major issues with windows 10? I have installed it 3 times now and it all starts out ok but soon as I do windows updates and the computer needs to do a restart, it no longer see's the SSD till I reinstall windows I cant figure out what the issue is.This only happens after I do the Windows updates. before that I can restart a million times without issues booting back into windows.

I get somewhat similar problems on my Taichi-driven system. If I get a bad crash from Windows, my UEFI is no longer able to detect my NVMe ssd (BPX). Ouch! Have to reset the UEFI to get it to reappear.

I finally got an ASRock Taichi delivered when they were momentarily in stock a couple of days ago, and then yesterday I had the chance to put it together.

Everything else was reused. The RAM is not on the QVL, so anyone wanting ECC might be interested to know that it works fine.

Interesting. Not really my cup of tea, but some folks wanting home workstations may like that.

A few thoughts on the motherboard:

• It looks really well built, with a thoughtful layout.
Only thing that irritates me is the position of the aux CPU power connector (upper left) which is . . . awkward with the NH-D15S installed.

• Two NVMe slots means I don't need to use any SATA ports at all (this is why I chose this board).
Beware the second one. It may run a little slower, and using it shuts down PCIe slot #5 (the last full-lenght one). Slot #5 gets blocked by slot #3 (2nd full length one) if you use a standard video card there anyway, so no big deal. The hottest my BPX has gotten in NVMe #1 is 62C so keeping it cool down there isn't hard. No special cooling, just a Thor v2 case.

• The two screws for the NVMe slots come in individual bags. And I thought wasteful packaging had already reached its peak.
Also, unless you have tiny hands, do not take out the NVMe slot screw posts! Putting them back in is a pita.

• Not enough USB ports (although the built-in Bluetooth frees up one USB port that would have been taken up with an adapter for my headphones).
Not an issue for me yet, though if you use the built-in Bluetooth it will slow down the built-in wifi. No joke.

• As of BIOS 1.94A, there are an overwhelming number of options for tweaking.
Only thing it's missing is Asus-style DIGI+ VRM tweaking. Not a big loss though.

• The southbridge feels pretty hot. They probably should have designed the heatsink to sink heat effectively instead of to look pretty.
Hand't noticed that yet. I'm guessing that's Promontory doing that? Hmm. I will say that at least all the purty "board armor" is metalized instead of being plastic.

There's also plastic strips you need to remove from that stuff, for shipping or whatever. Don't leave that on there. Not gonna be good for thermal dissipation.

unseenmorbidity

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2016
I am not sure I have had any sever windows crashes. I have had several sudden restarts when trying to hone in my OC, and I have not had any issues with the system failing to see my 850 evo. I have only had to reset CMOS twice.

I am also using the taichi.

Last edited:

imported_jjj

Feb 14, 2009
May i ask for a source?

I am sure you know this, but for everyone's sake:
  • CL: CAS Latency. The time it takes between a command having been sent to the memory and when it begins to reply to it. It is the time it takes between the processor asking for some data from the memory and then returning it.
  • tRCD: RAS to CAS Delay. The time it takes between the activation of the line (RAS) and the column (CAS) where the data are stored in the matrix.
  • tRP: RAS Precharge. The time it takes between disabling the access to a line of data and the beginning of the access to another line of data.
  • tRAS: Active to Precharge Delay. How long the memory has to wait until the next access to the memory can be initiated.
  • CMD: Command Rate. The time it takes between the memory chip having been activated and when the first command may be sent to the memory. Sometimes this value is not announced. It usually is T1 (1 clock cycle) or T2 (2 clock cycles).
Read more at http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/understanding-ram-timings/#PeWPuUTh2V9MEMeQ.99

Theoretically, the time in cycle elapsed between issuing the request and actually getting the data will be tRP + tRCD + CL, which is about 42 cycles for a 3000C14 RAM (14-14-14-34). This delay increases to a delay of 42/3G = 42* .33 ns = 14 n;s for a 3200C15(15-15-15) ; it is 14.1 ns and 3400C16 is 14.1 (16-16-16) , 4000C18 (18-19-19) is also 14 ns.

Hence, to answer your points:
1. that just shows that Ryzen IMC has better memory utilization. K17 can use upto 98% of the theoretical limit while intel can do 85%, IIRC from leaks in January. This lower utilization factor means Intel will scale worse. Itel manages to make up for it by having a better IMC related delay. The two implementations are different and the percentage utilization comes down to the engineering decisions made during coding

2. BUT only with relation to the maximum allowed theoretical capacity. Those graphs you shown has the same timings with all tested Freq. I am yet to see a lower than C16 out of the box timing on any 3400 (14 ns), C15 on 3600 (13.1 ns); and C18 on 4000 (14 ns) and C19 on 4266 (13.4 ns). That's an almost non-existent 0.6 ns save in delay. so performance will remain almost the same between 3000C14 and higher.

The reason for not seeing tests done at higher freq with the same timing on AMD is:
1. AMD does not yet support it <== will be fixed
2. RAM with C12 on 2133 will not do a C12 on 4000, <== this cannot be fixed, because every clock has a fixed rise time, hold time and fall time. the 1/freq must be > t_r +T_h + T_f. as you increase freq, 1/freq will fall and inorder to ensure that 1/freq > t_r +T_h + T_f holds true, we have to increase delay by increasing the CL, tRP and tRCD. ref: check background section. its not a ram based demonstration, but the principal is the same: ftp://ftp.altera.com/up/pub/Altera_Material/10.1/Tutorials/Timequest.pdf

BUT, if you test the entire line from 2133 to 4000Mhz with C19, I am sure we will see the scaling that you are referring to. but this is only an academic test and have no significance in real life.

You have been trying to make the point that higher clocks mean higher latency for the DIMMs but nobody disputes that so no need to keep insisting on that.

Your main problem seems to be that you just refuse to take the bus into consideration for both AMD and Intel. By doing so you also insist on ignoring Intel's bottlenecks at high memory clocks. The claim that their BW scales at 85% of theoretical is completely false. AMD on the other hand scales the BW of the data fabric with the memory clocks and has extra gains in latency- latency is not just about memory timings with Ryzen.
You also insist on bundling bandwidth and latency for some reason but many apps are sensitive to one or the other.
Then you also have the CCX to CCX link boosted with higher memory/data fabric clocks and impacting perf ofc.

Last edited:

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
What mode are you running in Windows? I noticed that Windows 10 is putting 8 of my cores to sleep even when they are needed when using balanced mode. Only way I am able to get them to all be used is to set Windows to performance mode in Windows 10. Is this normal?

High performance mode. Otherwise my Win10 scheduler parks 8 of the threads when all are needed. Dont worry your CPU has an internal power down mode and sips voltage at idle.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, stupid question, how do you put windows into high performance mode. I even googled for it.

Reactions: anj2208

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
OK, stupid question, how do you put windows into high performance mode. I even googled for it.

It's not so obvious in Win10 anymore.

First go to Settings. Pick Power & Sleep. Click on Additional Power Settings. That opens up the power plans screen. Click the radial button next to High Performance. Bang, done.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I find the easiest in windows 10
windows 10 :right click start button -> power options bring you the windows 7 style control panel immediately

windows 10 :but true the settings panel, like @DrMrLordX sayys

Hmm, they must have changed that in one of the preview builds. In 15063 if you do that you wind up in Settings/Power & Sleep, no more Win7-style control panel. Though it is faster than going to Settings first . . .

Reactions: plopke

funks

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2000
Well we are using the same motherboard right now. Its the Gigabyte Ab350 Gaming 3. I was really starting to think I got another bad part either the cpu or motherboard and was getting ready to rip it all apart and send it all back to Newegg again. But out of the blue I decided to read the manual for what ever reason. Glad I did. It just doesn't make sense to me that there would be ports included that cant be used?Well actually thats not true, those two ports just cant be used together. If I plug in the SSD drive only to Asata and the DVD drive to the Standard sata 6 then it works. So I am wondering if they are made only for some special kind of Raid set up?Anyways for now I will keep everything plugged into the Sata 6 port connections just to be safe, well that and so it I boot into windows LOL. F5 bios is pretty good so far for me. it lets me run my
double sided Crucial ballistix ddr4 2400 no problem.

ASATA (0,1) PORTS = Connected to the CPU
SATA (0,1,2,3) PORTS = Connected to the B350 Chipset

Both set of ports are SATA-3

If using an M2 drive (non PCIEx2 or PCIEx4 signalling), then SATA (3) can't be used.
If using an M2/NVME drive (that uses PCIEx4 signalling), then ASATA (0,1) can't be used.
If using an M2/NVME drive (that uses PCIEx2 signaling), then all ports can still be used.

I have 4 - SATA drives, all plugged into the B350 chipset (0,1,2,3) and have the ASATA ports disabled on the BIOS ( type set to AHCI ). I don't have an M2 drive.

As for memory, I'm able to run my RAM at 2666 MHZ with the following settings

BIOS F6D
XMP Off
Multiplier (26)
Timing (16-18-18-18-36)
Memory Voltage (1.35v)

Last edited:
Reactions: Justinbaileyman

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I tried some bclk OC again. I was able to boot at 113 bclk with RAM @ default settings and CPU set to 32x multiplier. I jacked up a bunch of voltages beforehand. Running a linear read benchmark on my BPX NVMe SSD caused Windows to crash about halfway into the bench, so . . . it was not terribly stable.

I'm sure I could tinker with it some more to get DDR4-3600 running, it just doesn't seem like it's worth the trouble.

V-Tepes

Mar 30, 2017
Got my build finished yesterday [AB350m Gaming 3 and an R7 1700].

I ran in to some AMD software issues:

Relive didn't install.
Used AMD Clean uninstall utility.
Re-installed Crimson and Relive now works.

The problem is that it killed Ryzen Master. I can't uninstall it and its non-functional.

Anyone else experienced this or knows of a workaround? The BIOS in the mATX Gaming 3 is dire for overclocking [still on F2].

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
I want to buy a Wraith Max Cooler, where could I get it from?
They're not sold at retail. The Wraith Max is meant for SIs and similar, getting it outside of a pre-built system will be very difficult.
  • SSD: Plextor M8Pe 256GB
  • SSD: Samsumg 960 Pro 2TB
I do kind of love how one of your SSDs alone costs roughly the same as the entire rest of the system*.

* You didn't mention a GPU in there.

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
They're not sold at retail. The Wraith Max is meant for SIs and similar, getting it outside of a pre-built system will be very difficult..

Watched a brief R5 unboxing video from one of those YouTube reviewer guys. Well, listened is more like it. He had a Wraith Max in his box along with two CPUs, a 1600X and a 1500 or 1500X that came with the smaller Wraith with no RGB lighting, a Gigabyte Gaming 3, 2x8GB Geil RAM and a few other things.

In other words, even if you can't get the Wraith, it's probably going out to reviewers so we can see how well it works.

Best part of the video was that he was really unboxing it for the first time so his surprise at seeing the Wraith cooler was genuine.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Having an odd problem. changing the power profile to performance mode but after a few hours or overnight it will just revert to balanced mode. At my wits end here. No clue why it keeps doing this. Anyone have any insight on this little quirk?

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
I'm still stuck on 2666mhz ram, but at 1.1 ns L1 cache latency. The struggle is real! :)

cachemem.png

Reactions: NesuD

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
ASATA (0,1) PORTS = Connected to the CPU
SATA (0,1,2,3) PORTS = Connected to the B350 Chipset

Both set of ports are SATA-3

If using an M2 drive (non PCIEx2 or PCIEx4 signalling), then SATA (3) can't be used.
If using an M2/NVME drive (that uses PCIEx4 signalling), then ASATA (0,1) can't be used.
If using an M2/NVME drive (that uses PCIEx2 signaling), then all ports can still be used.

I have 4 - SATA drives, all plugged into the B350 chipset (0,1,2,3) and have the ASATA ports disabled on the BIOS ( type set to AHCI ). I don't have an M2 drive.

As for memory, I'm able to run my RAM at 2666 MHZ with the following settings

BIOS F6D
XMP Off
Multiplier (26)
Timing (16-18-18-18-36)
Memory Voltage (1.35v)

So you have your SSD's plugged into Sata port 0 and 1? Are those Asata 0 and 1 or the stardard Sata 0 and 1? I also dont have any M.2 drives to test out just standard Sata SSD's and a DVDr Drive.Also where in the world did you get Bios F6D? I am only seeing F5 on Gigabytes main site. I noticed that F5b got pulled and is no longer available.