AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 98 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
Corsair 460X Crystal Series is on sale for 84.99!

I wanted this case so badly especially since the price is right!

Too bad I already have a couple of Antec Nine Hundred Two in my garage.

I think I am about eight years outside of the return window. :(

(I was going to use one for my Ryzen build)

What should I do? :eek:

Reactions: richierich1212

dnavas

Feb 25, 2017
No love yet for the Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3. Still on 2/24 F5 BIOS version..

The Gaming 5 is stuck on F5d officially, although a little creative url hackery can get you an F5f release (which I'm not going to use, though I've heard it fixes the FMA bug). It's been that way for at least a week. If we're waiting for May, it seems early for the floodgate-watch :shrug:

Agent-47

Jan 17, 2017
i just realized none of the motherboard lists ryzen 5 support? so if some of us buy a ryzen 5 on the 11th along with a MB, chances are they will not boot? any idea?

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
The Gaming 5 is stuck on F5d officially, although a little creative url hackery can get you an F5f release (which I'm not going to use, though I've heard it fixes the FMA bug). It's been that way for at least a week. If we're waiting for May, it seems early for the floodgate-watch :shrug:

Ah, thanks for the tip. I do see that I can access the Gigabyte AB-350M-Gaming 3 F3c beta bios still when I did your "URL hackery". But since my system is running at 3200 CL16 (overclocking my RAM) and all seems good, I'll wait for official BIOS before I mess something up.

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
i just realized none of the motherboard lists ryzen 5 support? so if some of us buy a ryzen 5 on the 11th along with a MB, chances are they will not boot? any idea?

I'm guessing motherboard manufacturers can't officially state support for CPUs that haven't officially been released yet.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
I'm considering whether I should replace my RAM or not.
I'm happy with the 2933 C16 speed, *but* about one out of 4 reboots, the system will hang at a black screen and then display "Overclock failed, Press F1 to continue". If i then just save and exit, it reboots and starts right back up at 2933, but this is beyond annoying.

I've tried higher SOC voltage (1.0V), higher DDR4 voltage (up to 1.4) and CAS18, but nothing helps. If I go back to 2133, this doesn't happen, so it's definitely the RAM. It does pass Memtest86+ and Aida64 memory tests without issues and the system is stable otherwise, so I don't know why it sometimes fails to boot.

Trying to find RAM that's guaranteed to be Samsung B-die isn't easy either and the results still don't seem consistent. So I could end up just wasting money and still have those bootup problems...

richierich1212

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2002
I'm happy with the 2933 C16 speed, *but* about one out of 4 reboots, the system will hang at a black screen and then display "Overclock failed, Press F1 to continue". If i then just save and exit, it reboots and starts right back up at 2933, but this is beyond annoying.

I've tried higher SOC voltage (1.0V), higher DDR4 voltage (up to 1.4) and CAS18, but nothing helps. If I go back to 2133, this doesn't happen, so it's definitely the RAM. It does pass Memtest86+ and Aida64 memory tests without issues and the system is stable otherwise, so I don't know why it sometimes fails to boot.

Trying to find RAM that's guaranteed to be Samsung B-die isn't easy either and the results still don't seem consistent. So I could end up just wasting money and still have those bootup problems...

It doesn't sound like that's an issue with your Memory. More like an early BIOS issue. What's your CPU overclock/vcore at?

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
It doesn't sound like that's an issue with your Memory. More like an early BIOS issue. What's your CPU overclock/vcore at?

Everything is at 100% stock.
Asus released a new BIOS version just last week, and that didn't solve the issue, so I don't know if it's BIOS related.
Since it doesn't happen at 2133, it does seem like it might be related to the RAM, but I don't know and I don't want to spend $200+ if it doesn't solve the problem.

The CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 I'm running is only listed for 2133 on Asus's QVL list for the Prime (in fact, *very* few RAM modules on that list support more than 2133/2400), but it's listed for 2933 on other motherboard vendors' lists (I believe Gigabyte or Asrock, can't remember now).

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001

If you've read all 98 pages, you'd see this is a complaint with certain ASUS motherboards.

I have the exact same issue - sometimes I'm good for 5,6 or 7 boots .... sometimes it does this one after the other.

I'm just dealing with it for now and assuming it'll be fixed in a BIOS update.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
The CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 I'm running is only listed for 2133 on Asus's QVL list for the Prime (in fact, *very* few RAM modules on that list support more than 2133/2400), but it's listed for 2933 on other motherboard vendors' lists (I believe Gigabyte or Asrock, can't remember now).
I had that issue with "overclock failed" on many reboots with that exact RAM above 2133 on my Asus Prime X370. Since returning it and going for specific TridentZ single-rank, i'm running 2933 without issue.

Magic Hate Ball

Feb 2, 2017
If you've read all 98 pages, you'd see this is a complaint with certain ASUS motherboards.

I have the exact same issue - sometimes I'm good for 5,6 or 7 boots .... sometimes it does this one after the other.

Indeed. No point jumping the gun on buying memory again until prices start going down if you've already got functioning RAM.

Eric1987

Mar 22, 2012
According to this review, the DIMMs are double sided (dual rank), which is why you're having some issues with high speeds. I'd suggest first setting the advertised timings 16-18-18-38, set it to 1.35v, save and reboot. Then change it to 2400 and see if it posts.

I tried that but it would only go to 2400 and not any higher at all. I noticed when I set it up to boot at higher RAM speeds it would actually shut off and back on. When it did that I knew the settings didn't work. Oddly enough. When it worked it didn't do a full shutdown.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Everything is at 100% stock.
Asus released a new BIOS version just last week, and that didn't solve the issue, so I don't know if it's BIOS related.
Since it doesn't happen at 2133, it does seem like it might be related to the RAM, but I don't know and I don't want to spend $200+ if it doesn't solve the problem.

Give it a rest. Wait until may uefi from amd and see what happens.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005

I had that issue with "overclock failed" on many reboots with that exact RAM above 2133 on my Asus Prime X370. Since returning it and going for specific TridentZ single-rank, i'm running 2933 without issue.

Those are the options I guess - Live with it for now and *hope* it gets solved with some BIOS update or buy some new RAM and *hope* that solves the problem. No guarantees either way.

I assume it's not just any TridentZ RAM - you'd have to physically inspect the RAM to determine the revision, whether it's single or dual rank etc., right?
I was also considering the CMK16GX4M2B3600C18. Generally people seem to experience good results with them, but there's also the odd post from someone stuck at 2133 or similar.

guskline

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2006
Thought I had a Taichi but Newegg said my Order was denied. After a "lengthy" discussion with a very good customer rep I was able to snag an Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero.

We shall see as the Asus C6H was originally the mb I wanted. I will be VERY careful with BIOS flashing, if any.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
I doesnt make sense to buy new ram now. Enjoy tangling with the stuff. Its the entire purpose ! Do it for fun.

Then when amd delivers new data and its implemented we can do a proper evaluation.

Reactions: DeeJayBump

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
I assume it's not just any TridentZ RAM - you'd have to physically inspect the RAM to determine the revision, whether it's single or dual rank etc., right?
Unfortunately yes, there's absolutely nothing indicating each model is dual or single rank unless they're physically inspected, someone posts a CPU-Z SPD display for the RAM, or the manufacturer themselves advises you such.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
I tried that but it would only go to 2400 and not any higher at all. I noticed when I set it up to boot at higher RAM speeds it would actually shut off and back on. When it did that I knew the settings didn't work. Oddly enough. When it worked it didn't do a full shutdown.
Correct, it won't go higher than 2400 at the moment with that combination.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Thought I had a Taichi but Newegg said my Order was denied. After a "lengthy" discussion with a very good customer rep I was able to snag an Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero.

We shall see as the Asus C6H was originally the mb I wanted. I will be VERY careful with BIOS flashing, if any.

BIOS flashback:
Download latest BIOS 1001 or better and name c6h.cap, place on USB drive formatted in FAT32. Insert into USB port labeled BIOS. Hold down BIOS button on back panel for 3 seconds until it starts blinking (does not require boot, only power to motherboard). If it stops blinking, the filename or something isn't correct. If it recognizes the file, it will proceed to blink until finished (takes some # of minutes).