AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 142 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

guachi

Nov 16, 2010
I also recommend the Vengeance RAM if you don't mind 2933 speeds now and potentially, hopefully, 3200 speeds in the future. It's far cheaper than the Samsung b-die. I had to manually speed and timings in BIOS but once entered it worked fine.

I have an ancient Hyper 212+ and got an AM4 bracket for $7. It might not be better than the Wraith cooler with my 1700 but I wanted to keep using it. It exhausts air upward but I find that's actually a good thing considering I have a top mounted fan. It only needs to push the air a few inches before the top fan pulls the exhaust heat out.

Reactions: Drazick

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
I also recommend the Vengeance RAM if you don't mind 2933 speeds now and potentially, hopefully, 3200 speeds in the future. It's far cheaper than the Samsung b-die. I had to manually speed and timings in BIOS but once entered it worked fine.
Actual results may vary a LOT with LPX depending on the motherboard/bios.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I've always liked Noctua's 12cm offerings. Good performers, nice mounting - Noctua fans never seem to die.

Noticed that G.Skill offers it's Flare X as Ryzen/AM4 compatible - looks like Samsung-b, but they are pricey sticks! https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530

G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 CL14 and TridentZ DDR4-3200 CL14 are also Samsung B-die. I picked up the Ripjaws V equivalents for considerably less money with one of Newegg's 10% off select memory promos they send out in subscriber emails.

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
Yeah there's definitely AM4 "compatible" and designed for AM4. My old Arctic Freezer from my 3570k had an AM4 kit with it but it mounted it pushing north instead of towards the exhaust fan. Ended up with a Noctua replacement.

So unless the case has top mounted fans, I don't want it pushing up, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
So unless the case has top mounted fans, I don't want it pushing up, right?
Right. As you mentioned, it's what is suitable for your case/fan layout but it's something to keep in mind when looking at specs of AM4 fans. You always want a vertical mounted CPU fan to be pushing the air into an exhaust directly.

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
Yeah there's definitely AM4 "compatible" and designed for AM4. My old Arctic Freezer from my 3570k had an AM4 kit with it but it mounted it pushing north instead of towards the exhaust fan. Ended up with a Noctua replacement.

Thought I responded to this already but it's not showing up. So if my case has top fans exhausting out, then it wouldn't matter the orientation of the cooler?

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
Right. As you mentioned, it's what is suitable for your case/fan layout but it's something to keep in mind when looking at specs of AM4 fans. You always want a vertical mounted CPU fan to be pushing the air into an exhaust directly.

Ok. So I can add a fan to the case then use the cooler master T4 ?
I know this seems like silly questions but I've never had to get a CPU cooler before always used the factory ones. Thanks for the help.

Malogeek

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2017
yaktribe.org
Ok. So I can add a fan to the case then use the cooler master T4 ?
I know this seems like silly questions but I've never had to get a CPU cooler before always used the factory ones. Thanks for the help.
It's just logic. Think about the airflow in the case and coming from the tower CPU cooler. The basic setup is a front intake and a rear exhaust, producing an airflow that will hopefully keep the ambient temps down. If you don't have top fans and your cooler is pushing the hot air from the CPU cooler upwards, it spreads out and raises the ambient, making the exhaust fan work harder to keep ideal temps under control. With a better airflow setup, your fans can operate slower and quieter.

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
It's just logic. Think about the airflow in the case and coming from the tower CPU cooler. The basic setup is a front intake and a rear exhaust, producing an airflow that will hopefully keep the ambient temps down. If you don't have top fans and your cooler is pushing the hot air from the CPU cooler upwards, it spreads out and raises the ambient, making the exhaust fan work harder to keep ideal temps under control. With a better airflow setup, your fans can operate slower and quieter.

Gotcha. I should probably add a front fan too, the case doesn't come with one.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
How do both these motherboards stack up against each other in terms of VRMS, memory support? Not looking to aggressively overclock.
Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3
Asrock AB350 Pro4 - specs say only 2slots filled with dual rank memory up to 2666 supported
I skipped MSI since their models in the similar price range only have 4 sata slots and VRMs look dodgy.

What sort of cooler does the 1600x cooler need if not oc'ing - 125W or 140W? The 1600x seems to suck down alot of power despite being rated at 95W TDP, reviews show it consumes ~45W more than the i7-7700k.

And are there more benchmarks comparing the 1600 model since most reviews seem to focus exclusively on the 1600x only. I'm thinking of doing light oc'ing with it.
http://www.techspot.com/article/1381-ryzen-1600x-vs-1600/

Edit-
Good details about vrms on most current b350 mb's. It looks like Asrock modified 3+3 design is better in terms of efficiency/heat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGrxhf_xZWI

Last edited:

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
still not claiming that my build is finally sorted... because I know as soon as i do it will go all Chernobyl on me again.

this does mark the 4th day that the board posted with memory at full tilt though. each day nets a bit more apprehension at startup.

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I have started piecing out a Ryzen platform to hold me off until skylake-x and 12cores.

But as i am adding stuff up it is getting expensive. :cool:

200 for a taichi X370 (16+2 phase VRM's i definitely wants)
219 for 32 gigs QVL ram. G.Skill 2400
450 for m.2 SSD. 960 Evo 1TB
480 for the 1800X

sigh although i find it halarious that a "X" branded cpu from intel alone would cost more then a complete top of the line Ryzen system.

Anyhow need to do a bit more research on parts, as i think thats what i am gonna go with, unless someone want to recommend me better tier parts. (no i am not looking for cheaper, i am look for better, but not obnoxiously more expensive for less, ie... msi titanium vs taichi)