AMD RYZEN Builders Thread

Page 144 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I currently have an Intel 7600K for gaming, however I am quite interested in upgrading to Ryzen. Should I go the Ryzen 7 route? Or Ryzen 5 for gaming? 1600 vs 1700 vs 7600K. I do plan on streaming and doing some video editing, and definitely lots of gaming.

I also found this memory for a steal. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313795
Would this work okay on a Ryzen build? I was also eyeballing the 1600 Combo's with a mATX board (just because of my case). https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3482372

Just want to make sure this is a decent build to put together. Or if I should save up a bit more and go for a 1700 or not. Would I see much of a difference between the 2 processors?
If you do any video work the 1700 becomes a no brainer. The streaming just means you need a couple extra cores and a 1600(x) would be fine. Gaming the question becomes if you are going to overclock? If you do the 1700 is a great value because it has the lowest defualt clock speeds and most cores and all Ryzen CPU's cap at withing 200MHz of each other (3.8-4.0 unless you get really lucky. Absolute Max is 4.2, and not worth it voltage wise).

It's a really big question. The 1600 is a gaming perf winner for gaming and over all value. But the 1700 will match its performance in gaming but is the absolute value option in Productivity.
Basically is the extra $100 worth 2 cores and the ability to multitask and bonus productivity to match a $1000 CPU. It's really that good against a 6900k.

If you don't overclock the answer is easy. Just get the 1600x. It's the best performance vs cost compromise in all of computers.

Reactions: Drazick

coffeemonster

Apr 18, 2015
Many are new to me, too. But there's no need to know them all. One important option is the command rate setting (fixed at 1T for earlier AGESA versions, except for special BIOS versions like for the CH6, IIRC).
does command rate make much of a performance impact on RAM/data fabric with Ryzen?

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
If you do any video work the 1700 becomes a no brainer. The streaming just means you need a couple extra cores and a 1600(x) would be fine. Gaming the question becomes if you are going to overclock? If you do the 1700 is a great value because it has the lowest defualt clock speeds and most cores and all Ryzen CPU's cap at withing 200MHz of each other (3.8-4.0 unless you get really lucky. Absolute Max is 4.2, and not worth it voltage wise).

It's a really big question. The 1600 is a gaming perf winner for gaming and over all value. But the 1700 will match its performance in gaming but is the absolute value option in Productivity.
Basically is the extra $100 worth 2 cores and the ability to multitask and bonus productivity to match a $1000 CPU. It's really that good against a 6900k.

If you don't overclock the answer is easy. Just get the 1600x. It's the best performance vs cost compromise in all of computers.

I think I may stick with the 1600 then. I don't know if I'll be planning on overclocking or not, but more than likely not if it works the way it should out of the box. Would I see an even larger gain from getting faster memory? Or is the DDR4-2400 okay?

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
does command rate make much of a performance impact on RAM/data fabric with Ryzen?
It can make a bit of a difference on memory performance but the only thing that affects IF performance is memory clocks speeds. So more clocks no matter what means better communication between ccx's.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I think I may stick with the 1600 then. I don't know if I'll be planning on overclocking or not, but more than likely not if it works the way it should out of the box. Would I see an even larger gain from getting faster memory? Or is the DDR4-2400 okay?
Personally if you want out of the box performance the 1600x specifically is the king of value. The 1600 isn't bad, but the 1600x is the highest clocked Ryzen and the price isn't that far off from each other.

As for memory, 2400 will be fine. Though I would see if you can scrounge up enough for 3000(will run at 2933).

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
yea newegg finally notified me about the MSI board... and only a month and some change late! that's what i call service.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
That's definitely causing a lot of issues for people. I think many just live with it and have developed some special procedure to get their system to boot (booting at 2133 then applying the correct setting, hitting the reset switch at just the right time etc.). But it's kind of ridiculous that this hasn't been fixed yet.

The 2T setting will make a huge difference for those who are able to boot, but can't get their system stable during stress tests. Most high performance RAM is intended to run at 2T.

I haven't had any obvious issues with boot vDIMM vs actual vDIMM. Though maybe I just haven't noticed?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
That's definitely causing a lot of issues for people. I think many just live with it and have developed some special procedure to get their system to boot (booting at 2133 then applying the correct setting, hitting the reset switch at just the right time etc.). But it's kind of ridiculous that this hasn't been fixed yet.

The 2T setting will make a huge difference for those who are able to boot, but can't get their system stable during stress tests. Most high performance RAM is intended to run at 2T.
On both my $90 Asrock board, and my $200 ASrock board, I just tell it in bios, PC3200, and it knows 1.35 volt and I save an boot. Works perfectly every time. Must be your motherboard needs a bios update or something.

Edit, and it knows to run at 1T

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
**Sigh**, i just built my first Ryzen R5 1600 system for a customer at work today. Wow, what a nice machine! It really makes me want to upgrade my personal i5 system. And that AMD heatsink/fan that comes with it? Just incredible. Keeps the cpu nice and cool and very quiet. I don't think i'd even want an aftermarket cooler, i'd actually just use the stock fan.

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
I haven't had any obvious issues with boot vDIMM vs actual vDIMM. Though maybe I just haven't noticed?

If you have a board that supports custom DRAM boot voltages, like the C6H, you can manually set the boot voltage to 1.35V. The problem is only apparent on boards that don't support custom DRAM boot voltage (most low-end and mid-range X370/B350 boards), or if you set it to Auto instead of manually specifying the voltage.

If you're lucky, 1.2V is enough to get past the DRAM training and on to the actual POST (where UEFI takes over and sets the correct voltage, like 1.35V). Often, 1.2V isn't enough for DRAM training at the selected timings, even though the RAM would have been stable once the system had booted (and switched to 1.35V).

In my case, it prevents me from running my B-die at 3200 C14. If I boot at a lower speed, and then apply those settings, save and (soft-)reboot, it's fine. But any attempt to cold boot at 3200 C14 will fail. Since I don't want to deal with nonsense like that, I'm stuck at 3200 C16 for now.

Reactions: Dresdenboy

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
If you have a board that supports custom DRAM boot voltages, like the C6H, you can manually set the boot voltage to 1.35V. The problem is only apparent on boards that don't support custom DRAM boot voltage (most low-end and mid-range X370/B350 boards), or if you set it to Auto instead of manually specifying the voltage.

If you're lucky, 1.2V is enough to get past the DRAM training and on to the actual POST (where UEFI takes over and sets the correct voltage, like 1.35V). Often, 1.2V isn't enough for DRAM training at the selected timings, even though the RAM would have been stable once the system had booted (and switched to 1.35V).

In my case, it prevents me from running my B-die at 3200 C14. If I boot at a lower speed, and then apply those settings, save and (soft-)reboot, it's fine. But any attempt to cold boot at 3200 C14 will fail. Since I don't want to deal with nonsense like that, I'm stuck at 3200 C16 for now.

Hmm. Makes me wonder why the B350 Pro4 can run DDR4-3200 CL/CAS 14 so easily, unless ASRock just doesn't have the boot training issue on any of their boards? I haven't seen such a setting in the Taichi UEFI yet (though admittedly, I have not updated to 2.3, I'm using 2.0 right now).

MrPhilo

May 13, 2017
People which Asus Prime X370, how did you remove the glued backplate on the motherboard? Or what AIO is compatible with it?

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Hmm. Makes me wonder why the B350 Pro4 can run DDR4-3200 CL/CAS 14 so easily, unless ASRock just doesn't have the boot training issue on any of their boards? I haven't seen such a setting in the Taichi UEFI yet (though admittedly, I have not updated to 2.3, I'm using 2.0 right now).
OK, I don't get it. Both the B350 pro4 and the Taichi have the same setting, set memory to XMP1 (I think thats it) and it runs my cl14 perfectly at 3200.

Reinvented

Oct 5, 2005
OK, I don't get it. Both the B350 pro4 and the Taichi have the same setting, set memory to XMP1 (I think thats it) and it runs my cl14 perfectly at 3200.

ASRock are wizards. Even on my Intel B250M, I'm able to use overclocked memory. They definitely seem to have mastered this across all platforms!

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Well, what I meant was, a setting to configure the boot training voltage (which defaults to 1.2v on some boards no matter what you do). On ASRock boards it seems like they just did the logical thing and let the memory boot @ the voltage specified for normal operation.

Phaetos

Jan 27, 2005
ASRock are wizards. Even on my Intel B250M, I'm able to use overclocked memory. They definitely seem to have mastered this across all platforms!

Guess that's why the asrock pro4 board is still out of stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
So I finally managed to talk the only Norwegian etailer selling Biostar boards into tracking down a supplier for the X370GTN, as it had been showing up in stores in other countries close by. They found it, added it to their site, and I was ready to order - I just had to wait two days for my pay check to arrive. Lo and behold, it's no longer listed. The link they sent me says "this product is expired". GHDJFKDSANKGF!%""/#¤([@¤@€$$"!!"!"

If I can't get an ITX motherboard soon, I'll start pulling my hair out. Gah.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Anyone here had any problems with a Noctua U14S cooler and the Taichi or a Gigabyte K7?