Question AMD Ryzen 5000 - AVAILABILITY

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Has AMD commented about availability of the new 5000 series processors? Should it be better than the last time?

Here in Czechia at launch only 1 retailer had them in stock, 5950X and 5900X went quickly, 5800X and 5600X held a little bit longer but in about half an hour all were gone. None to be seen anywhere now.

Reactions: nikomsuman

gk1951

Jul 7, 2019
Microcenter usually has the lowest prices for most items. I was able to get a new 5900x from a reseller at @$750.00 back in late December when none were available.

One poster called me out about supporting scalpers but I have had this cpu now for almost a half year and despite a few 5900xs appearing at the original MSRP sporadically, most 5900xs for sale are in the high 600 to mid 700 dollar range.

Over time that price will come down but I think the tariff tax AND very high demand will keep the price elevated to MCs $699.

Had the same experience with acquiring my RX6800. Paid a similar premium but got it in early January and the price of the 6000 series cards has exploded. Meanwhile I have enjoyed this card. Not a 6900xt BUT really shines in gaming compared to my Radeon VII.

Reactions: Tlh97 and scineram

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Got my 10850k and z590 Aorus Elite AX for $580 out the door from MC. 5800x is overpriced.

LOL, enjoy the slower PC :)

Take Micro Center specials out of the discourse, and the whole "5800X is overpriced" falls apart.

Also, someone really needs to explain how the 5800X, which IS FASTER IN GAMING THAN THE 10850K, is overpriced, when the 9900K was never considered "overpriced" when it was faster in gaming than the 3800X / 3800XT; this whole line of 5800X negativism is mind boggling.

3800XT vs 9900K

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Honestly, at this point, why bother? If the move to AM5 happens this year, all these CPUs will shortly be platform-obsolete, the way AM3 is today...

*edit*
Downvoted? Really? 40 pages of people complaining about a retail shortage, we're past mid-2021, and a new socket is right around the corner... and now people get downvoted (anonymously!) for speaking their mind? When did this forum become Facebook or Twitter? Who the hell even asked for this feature?

You're really trying to get rid of us old-timers, or what? This exactly the kind of crap that makes us less interested in visiting this place.

Last edited:
Reactions: HutchinsonJC

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
AM4 can stick around as a budget system socket for a bit. AMD is still selling Zen2 chips at high prices and still selling Zen3 at a healthy clip. If v-cache CPUs actually show up that just extends the socket life a little while longer, permitting them to launch AM5 and keep AM4 alive in parallel.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
LOL, that's a bit of a reach.

But it's funny you think we should "do the math". That's EXACTLY what AMD should have been doing on supply/demand issues. Obviously they didn't thought and we shall see if we have more in early Dec in more significant numbers. Otherwise, it's a paper launch.
'
Paper Launch = "There should be more averrable if you buy a bundle at inflated prices in "a few months". Or we can get "promotional pricing"?? You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Saying it needs to be bundled, or we can get "promotional pricing" at the same time? Promo pricing is generally lower than MSRP and it's to entice customers to buy their product.

You may not be in a rush, but it's fairly easy to see this, maybe not a 100% paper launch, is not a full launch.

Oddly enough, Sony is having serious issues with supplies. Those CPUs are also manufactured by TSCM. There was a bloomberg article that Sony had to cut it's PS4 product in half due to supply issues with the CPU. Could this be an all around issue with TSCM not being to manufacture CPUS in mass? Obviously, long term, it's something they can ramp up and fix, but it's odd that both products simply have no suppy. It's nice to say "it'll be available in a month". but that gives them time to produce more and trickle in to the supply chain.

Food for thought.

The PS5 sold more in 12 hours than the PS4 sold in 12 weeks.

Demand for home electronics is insane and practically insatiable right now. Waiting for supply to meet demand for these products would be incredibly foolish.

Edit: Also, Sony said that Bloomberg article about them cutting production was flat out false.

Last edited:

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
AMD will have record revenue and margins in 4Q 2020. They are selling everything they can possibly make. Yes, they are supply constrained, does that mean they just don't sell anything for a quarter or two and sit on tens or possibly hundreds of millions worth of inventory because some people on a tech forum will say they should have waited for enough supply to meet unprecedented demand?

I don't know, I'll bet they still have mountain bikes available for sale.

Sorry, AMD and Sony screwed the pooch with their launches.

If you say so...

I don't need to give alternative expectations. I do not manage AMD...

Well thank God for that.

...and you would have to ask them why they cannot supply the CPUs to even their most loyal customer. That is not my job. But, as a consumer, AMD and Sony BOTH had a horrible launch with almost no availability.

Something to think about? Intel still has 80% of the market for desktop CPU. Can you explain why wouldn't AMD try to flood the market with their "far superior" cpus??? Hell, I'm trying to get one and can't!.

AMD isn't ramping up supplies, TSCM is.

What do you want AMD to do? Magically fart 7nm wafers from TSMC? There are four very highly in demand products relying on TSMC right now. Never mind whatever else uses it. Until demand calms down some this will be a reality. You don't seem to understand this. Bitching about it in every post doesn't help.

Aww, poor guy. There are tons of articles and threads talking about this very issue. But you know everything. Doesn't matter that Bloomberg, even stated they cut production by half!". I mean, you have for more credibility than Bloomberg and all of the reporters.

Bang the table all you want and say everyone is a liar. Sounds like Trump, lol.

JC, still with the "orange man bad" crap? Will you (and others) just let it go, he's gone in a couple months. This is a tech forum. Nobody wants to hear you bitch about politics. FWIW, I don't care if it's "Biden's bad". This in not the place and I'll call it out any time I see it.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
If they announced the launch to january or february or whatever date would allow for sizeable steady supplies, the amount of frustrated customers would be MUCH LOWER.

This sort of launch is perhaps even worse than the real paper launch. You let some people have some, then you supply nothing and tell nothing. People hyped up and eager to buy, frustrated that they cannot find it.

If they announced the launch to jan/feb 21, a lot of people would be disappointed, but the total level of bad emotions/frustration would be much much lower.

therealmongo

Jul 5, 2019
snip............As I mentioned, I don't care about downvotes. Opinions are opinions. There is nothing that makes one person's opinion more valid than anothers.
.........snip
Sorry to take this offtopic, but I am sorry, whats going on in this World we live in where each persons realty is the only thing that matters (actually it is in the space of ones individual mind, but in the context of social systems this aint how things work, lol).

Again, nothing to do with the subject at hand.

If you had left your comment as "Opinions are opinions" than i would 100% agree with you, but the second part, sorry, thats not right!

I am sure you didnt really means this

"There is nothing that makes one person's opinion more valid than anothers"

Huh, this is so wrong. People opinions are validated by other people or another entity, be it right or wrong. If you have an opinion that is dismissed by 95% percent of the population than your "opinion" is no longer "valid" its an outlier, as the word "validation" means that another entity is used as a baseline to assess what is the validity of something !

You have literally contradicted yourself in a single sentance, im am sure it was just a heat of the moment response.

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
I just ordered a 5800x. If I had been just a bit more patient, I could have gotten a 5600x, but after 41 days of disappointment, I jumped on the 5800x. antonline.com is selling 5600x and 5800x bundles with a Microsoft xbox 3 month PC subscription for retail + $30. I found them via the Falcodrin live stream on youtube.

Edit: I got confirming email ~75 minutes after placing my order.

Edit: I got "order shipped" email exactly 5 hours after ordering. :D

5600x link: https://www.antonline.com/AMD/Miscellaneous/1414834 (out of stock ~15 minutes after this post)

5800x link: https://www.antonline.com/AMD/Miscellaneous/1414833 (out of stock after roughly 10 hours)

Last edited:

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I would reluctantly buy the 5800X at MicroCenter for $400 and probably throw up in my mouth a little afterward if I was still in the market, but I wouldn't pay more than that. It's a lot for an 8 core CPU these days considering what you can get for under $300. I don't know, I might still just go with a 10700K for $250. That's still a crazy good deal.

LOL, it is the 8c/16t halo product from AMD that beats Intel's former 10c/20t halo the 10900K; looks like more W's than L's in the comparo, JFC the cognitive dissonance around the 5800X is amazing.

5800X vs 10900K

10 and 11 series K model 8 and 10 core prices don't look that great compared to a $400-$430 5800X...

How about a nice 1200 LGA motherboard? Starts at $180, lol.

A nice B550 starts at $140.

Qwertilot

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2013
Worse availability than last time most likely because of the crazy demand spike, not anything else.

Supply is logically going to be rather good. Same process, some more wafers with Apple moved off etc.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Whats the deal with Amazon? They havent had any rtx 3080 nor 5900x on the first day from what i can tell. It took about 6-7 hours for my Microcenter to sell out of the 5900x. I would have one If i would have been able to get there.

shinjuku

Nov 5, 2020
i've been checking BHphoto, bestbuy and newegg mainly, just checked right now, none in stock, not surprsing. i can't even find the 3000 cards and the 5000 cpus on amazon search. so i dont even bother. i'll be checking everyday just before i leave for work.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
Poland had decent stock but it sold out in few hurs, UK in minutes but I've managed to grab 5900X from my supplier. Technically you can still buy new Ryzens via Scan.co.uk in CPU + Mobo + RAM bundles, good way to scare scalplers but not ideal for someone just upgrading CPU.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Gideon

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Poland had decent stock but it sold out in few hurs, UK in minutes but I've managed to grab 5900X from my supplier. Technically you can still buy new Ryzens via Scan.co.uk in CPU + Mobo + RAM bundles, good way to scare scalplers but not ideal for someone just upgrading CPU.
Yeah, people here are also buying successfully from scan.co.uk.

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
Last year (in the states anyhow) the 3950X wasn't really available until January. I expect the 5950X to be nearly always sold out until after the holiday buying glut.

Rigg

May 6, 2020
My local Micro Center took several hours to sell out. The 5900x sold out first but 5600x and 5800x were in stock for a good chunk of the day. I suspect we'll see that 5900x and 5950x stock is limited for several months. I think that the 6 and 8 core stock will be more limited than Zen 2 was initially but not impossible to buy. I'm more worried about mobo availability for the next few months. They should be able to churn out a ton of these CPU's though demand will be insane. I don't think we'll see a Nvidia situation on anything but the R9's.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
I went to see what is going on in Germany, mindfactory.de retailer does not even have these processors listed. Why? Was this a paper launch and the real availability starts later, or what is going on?

BTW the CPU I ordered here was shown "in stock", but nothing happened since. Weird. Possibly an imaginery stock or something... "We are provisioning the goods. We will send you an email once we know more" Buggers.

Last edited: