Question AMD Ryzen 5000 - AVAILABILITY

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
Has AMD commented about availability of the new 5000 series processors? Should it be better than the last time?

Here in Czechia at launch only 1 retailer had them in stock, 5950X and 5900X went quickly, 5800X and 5600X held a little bit longer but in about half an hour all were gone. None to be seen anywhere now.

Reactions: nikomsuman

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I’m looking for a 5600x for a HTPC upgrade (I had been holding off for years until the release of this generation’s graphics cards to upgrade the HTPC to get hdmi 2.1).... So now I simply wait till I can find things in stock. I have also been waiting for upgrading my main desktop for the same reasons, but I can hold off on that since I had planned it to be a threadripper build (and a zen3 based threadripper seems like it would have some serious performance advantages over the current zen2 based ones).

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
hahaha.... speaking of the 5600x, I think I just got one! I think... It was one of the most frustrating check-out procedures I have ever had to deal with. I did my normal rounds of checking all the big websites, and BestBuy had it listed as in stock. I click on it, get a popup saying due to demand they are releasing inventory slowly over several minutes until they are sold out and to wait and the button to click add to chart will change to either be able to add it to cart or "sold out" and to quickly get into checkout if you can add it to cart as that will be the only time it reserves it for you. Well, mine made it to cart, and I made it into checkout, and tried to pay via paypal, and then all of a sudden it asks for a verification code that they sent by email.... Well, I got no code. So I hit resend. Still get no code.... Wait about 5 minutes, still no code. Finally get a code after 10 minutes, and send it in, only to find out the code I sent was the "first" code.... Wait more, finally get the other codes, send in the last one, and am told, you have no items in the cart!

So, it hit refresh back on the item page, and I get lucky I guess and it goes through the same crap as the first time and it eventually lets me add to cart. This time in checkout, my verification code was still good I guess, and it let me go through with the sale, I think. I got an email from paypal and bestbuy at least on the sale... So here is hoping.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
hahaha.... speaking of the 5600x, I think I just got one! I think... It was one of the most frustrating check-out procedures I have ever had to deal with. I did my normal rounds of checking all the big websites, and BestBuy had it listed as in stock. I click on it, get a popup saying due to demand they are releasing inventory slowly over several minutes until they are sold out and to wait and the button to click add to chart will change to either be able to add it to cart or "sold out" and to quickly get into checkout if you can add it to cart as that will be the only time it reserves it for you. Well, mine made it to cart, and I made it into checkout, and tried to pay via paypal, and then all of a sudden it asks for a verification code that they sent by email.... Well, I got no code. So I hit resend. Still get no code.... Wait about 5 minutes, still no code. Finally get a code after 10 minutes, and send it in, only to find out the code I sent was the "first" code.... Wait more, finally get the other codes, send in the last one, and am told, you have no items in the cart!

So, it hit refresh back on the item page, and I get lucky I guess and it goes through the same crap as the first time and it eventually lets me add to cart. This time in checkout, my verification code was still good I guess, and it let me go through with the sale, I think. I got an email from paypal and bestbuy at least on the sale... So here is hoping.

5600x is pretty impressive. I'm having fun playing around with mine! Your order should go thru I'd imagine. It won't let you add something to the cart and checkout otherwise.

lol....I just experienced the BestBuy experience purchasing a RTX 3070 that's not even intended for me. I picked it up for my daughters boyfriends new build, but if he doesn't want it I'm just going to offer it up for local trade for a 6800(XT). Whacky system, but I can see why they're doing it. The staggering availability throws a monkey wrench in it tho. It's now you don't see it and then now you do.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, now I need to go and buy all the other parts for the HTPC... I was holding off on anything since the CPU and GPUs were so hard to get (I can continue to use my existing GPU for now). I have been researching this for weeks, but I still don't know what motherboard I want to get. I figured I would just get a X570, but I didn't realize that most of them required a fan on the motherboard's chipset. One of the big points of the HTPC is to keep it quiet (which is why I will not be changing my case, since it supports a 120mm rear fan in a HTPC style, which is unheard of anymore and has 140mm side fans and even fits a NH-D14 heatsink if needed which my current build used).

This is somewhat exciting as this is my first PC technology upgrade in a while.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Yeah, now I need to go and buy all the other parts for the HTPC... I was holding off on anything since the CPU and GPUs were so hard to get (I can continue to use my existing GPU for now). I have been researching this for weeks, but I still don't know what motherboard I want to get. I figured I would just get a X570, but I didn't realize that most of them required a fan on the motherboard's chipset. One of the big points of the HTPC is to keep it quiet (which is why I will not be changing my case, since it supports a 120mm rear fan in a HTPC style, which is unheard of anymore and has 140mm side fans and even fits a NH-D14 heatsink if needed which my current build used).

This is somewhat exciting as this is my first PC technology upgrade in a while.
For a HTPC a simple B550 motherboard should do fine. And no fan.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Same thing except I drove over when it showed inventory later in the morning. Was still showing stock when I arrived but was told it was reserved for vouchers. Seems silly that people can wait in line for a voucher and then can leave and take until 3pm to pay. More infuriating that MC doesn’t update the stock to show that they actually don’t have product to sell.

Came home and picked up a 3900XT from Newegg on promotion so I can at least finish my build. Will get a Zen3 chip when it’s readily available.

Reactions: lightmanek

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
I was in the hospital for three days due to my kidney stone getting bored in my kidney, I was curious what happened in the meantime.

Every 5000 series CPU is now sold out everywhere here.
One retailer cancelled my order for 5900X without my consent, claiming unknown delivery time, cancelling my place in the queue. Other retailer failed to deliver 6800XT even when I ordered it seemed to be in stock.

No good news.

Has AMD already officially or less officially indicated something about the delivery of the CPUs?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I was in the hospital for three days due to my kidney stone getting bored in my kidney, I was curious what happened in the meantime.

Every 5000 series CPU is now sold out everywhere here.
One retailer cancelled my order for 5900X without my consent, claiming unknown delivery time, cancelling my place in the queue. Other retailer failed to deliver 6800XT even when I ordered it seemed to be in stock.

No good news.

Has AMD already officially or less officially indicated something about the delivery of the CPUs?
No, it is simply like what I said back in this post: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/amd-ryzen-5000-availability.2587029/post-40359101

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Says arrives Jan 25-27 now. Weirdly they aren't taking preorders on the other Vermeer.

5800X least in demand. 5600X biggest quantity especially at B&M that I've seen and selling like crazy.

I'm holding out for 5950X or 5900X and can afford to wait.

Dave3000

Golden Member
Jan 10, 2011
Does the huge demand for Ryzen 5000 series CPU's signify that there is a huge market for PC gaming, especially since there is a huge demand for RTX 3000 and Radeon 6000 series cards, especially with people lining up at Microcenter at launch day for these products?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Does the huge demand for Ryzen 5000 series CPU's signify that there is a huge market for PC gaming, especially since there is a huge demand for RTX 3000 and Radeon 6000 series cards, especially with people lining up at Microcenter at launch day for these products?

It's said that the PC gaming market demand is greater, but then there are the scalpers! Looking at local for sale apps and eBay it looks like the scalpers are getting rich off the gamers willingness to pay the price to play.

I do have a 3070 on the way, but I'm not going to scalp it. I intend to offer it up locally in trade for either a 5900x or 6800(XT) as long as it's a fair trade. I'm not sure yet, but my daughters boyfriend might buy it at cost for his new build....Silly guy still thinks it's Nvidia or bust.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
AMD will have record revenue and margins in 4Q 2020. They are selling everything they can possibly make. Yes, they are supply constrained, does that mean they just don't sell anything for a quarter or two and sit on tens or possibly hundreds of millions worth of inventory because some people on a tech forum will say they should have waited for enough supply to meet unprecedented demand?

I don't know, I'll bet they still have mountain bikes available for sale.

Sorry, AMD and Sony screwed the pooch with their launches.

If you say so...

I don't need to give alternative expectations. I do not manage AMD...

Well thank God for that.

...and you would have to ask them why they cannot supply the CPUs to even their most loyal customer. That is not my job. But, as a consumer, AMD and Sony BOTH had a horrible launch with almost no availability.

Something to think about? Intel still has 80% of the market for desktop CPU. Can you explain why wouldn't AMD try to flood the market with their "far superior" cpus??? Hell, I'm trying to get one and can't!.

AMD isn't ramping up supplies, TSCM is.

What do you want AMD to do? Magically fart 7nm wafers from TSMC? There are four very highly in demand products relying on TSMC right now. Never mind whatever else uses it. Until demand calms down some this will be a reality. You don't seem to understand this. Bitching about it in every post doesn't help.

Aww, poor guy. There are tons of articles and threads talking about this very issue. But you know everything. Doesn't matter that Bloomberg, even stated they cut production by half!". I mean, you have for more credibility than Bloomberg and all of the reporters.

Bang the table all you want and say everyone is a liar. Sounds like Trump, lol.

JC, still with the "orange man bad" crap? Will you (and others) just let it go, he's gone in a couple months. This is a tech forum. Nobody wants to hear you bitch about politics. FWIW, I don't care if it's "Biden's bad". This in not the place and I'll call it out any time I see it.

SamMaster

Jun 26, 2010
So around noon, I saw a Canada Computers store in my general area had 5 5600X available. So I got approval from my accountant (wife), ordered online for pickup, and called to make sure they had some left. The guy took one and put it aside. By the time I got there (1pm), they were all gone or spoken for. Apparently, they received ten this morning.

Now all I need is a motherboard and nvme drive and I'm set!

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Now all I need is a motherboard and nvme drive and I'm set!
I just ordered my nvme. I also picked up a motherboard and ram from my local microcenter. As much as I thought I would get a B550, I picked up a X570 because the 10Gbe network card I have needs a PCIE 8x lanes (even though it is an older PCIE version and the slots have plenty of bandwidth with a 4x, the card still needs 8x lanes to get proper bandwidth).

SamMaster

Jun 26, 2010
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting a x570 board because I intend to keep this system for 5 years and I want adequate expandability and reliability. Having more pcie4 lanes and nvme connexions is a plus.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, I guess my CPU was pretty local. It shipped late yesterday and will be arriving tomorrow. I'm glad I went and physically got my motherboard and ram. Only problem is that my hard drive won't be here until Tuesday/Wednesday (Microcenter didn't have the Samsung 980 Pro nvme drive I wanted, only the 250 and 500GB, not the 1TB).

Unfortunately I don't have the heatsink socket adapter for my Noctua for a couple weeks (they arn't in stock until the 30th), but I can build it with the provided specter heatsink that comes with the 8600X initially.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and SamMaster

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I don't know, I'll bet they still have mountain bikes available for sale.
AMD should have changed their marketing materials to how many laws they can mow more than John Deere. Doesn't matter when you can't even produce any for sale.

:rolleyes: You're about 2 weeks late to party. Cry to someone else, I honestly don't care. AMD, Sony and Microsoft are all having supply issues. It's already been noted that Sony and MS are both going to be supply constrained until later in 1Q21. Everything points to the fact that TSMC is most likely having huge supply and or production issues. Not to mention you have some bozo at AMD who talks crap to customers on Twitter. He still owes that guy $10.

Either way, while I know you guys here don't like the term paper launch (although it was gladly used in threads with similar issues from other manufactures), the fact is they promoted all this and can't deliver said product.

Enjoy your weekend!

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
AMD should have changed their marketing materials to how many laws they can mow more than John Deere. Doesn't matter when you can't even produce any for sale.

:rolleyes: You're about 2 weeks late to party. Cry to someone else, I honestly don't care. AMD, Sony and Microsoft are all having supply issues. It's already been noted that Sony and MS are both going to be supply constrained until later in 1Q21. Everything points to the fact that TSMC is most likely having huge supply and or production issues. Not to mention you have some bozo at AMD who talks crap to customers on Twitter. He still owes that guy $10.

Either way, while I know you guys here don't like the term paper launch (although it was gladly used in threads with similar issues from other manufactures), the fact is they promoted all this and can't deliver said product.

Enjoy your weekend!

Once again, fake news.

TSMC is producing more than ever. In fact, they've gone from around 110K wafers per month earlier this year to 140K+ wafers per month for 7nm. Apple has moved on to 5nm and AMD swooped in to buy the bulk of the available capacity and is now by far the largest customer for the 7nm node. They're producing more than ever but demand is off the charts.

2020 is the year for unexpected demand.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Going back to the Nvidia 1000 series, Intel 9th gen CPUs, the Nintendo Switch/Wii, Playstation 2, Nintendo NES $100 retro cube thing a few years ago, etc.

This happens every single time. Demand outstrips supply. A good portion of what is sold go to scalpers to flip for the first 30-60 days. Supplies eventually catch up as resell price falls, and then people can buy them.

I mean I flipped my fair share of consoles going back to the PS2 in what, 1999-2000? I just don't get it when I see the phrase "paper launch" tossed around with every launch, like anything has changed. Hell, I can remember the whole Cabbage Patch Kids mess when I was younger. People were selling those dang things in local newspaper ads.