AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 103 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
You should not be trying to figure out what timing you want from the Membench page.

That should be done on the Main page.

Has that been done?
The last time I tried that, I was on "safe" calculate. When done, it would not post until I reset bios.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
The last time I tried that, I was on "safe" calculate. When done, it would not post until I reset bios.

Then that is an issue.

You need to figure out timings that work on that main page for your setup.

Skipping to the other page isn't going to help you at all.

Do you have Thaiphoon Burner installed?

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
PBO disabled, strict power limits enforced

MT - 4062 CB
ST - 205 CB (note, this is on par with my 5GHz AVX2 OC 8700K!)

Nice. What were the MT clocks for that benchmark? I'm guessing they weren't 3.5 GHz.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Nice. What were the MT clocks for that benchmark? I'm guessing they weren't 3.5 GHz.

Tends to hover in the 3.85GHz-3.90GHz range while running AVX capable benches like Cinebench.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Then that is an issue.

You need to figure out timings that work on that main page for your setup.

Skipping to the other page isn't going to help you at all.

Do you have Thaiphoon Burner installed?
I have 3600 cl15 b-die. It should not be rocket science, but I guess it is.

Edit: I just tried the main page. I put in all the current setting that the other page said. Then I ran calculate and it came up with cas25 !!! ??? Whjat am I doing wrong ?

Edit2: I reset to Ryzen 2, not it won't let me enter any settings.

Last edited:

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

Edit: I just tried the main page. I put in all the current setting that the other page said. Then I ran calculate and it came up with cas25 !!! ??? Whjat am I doing wrong ?

Please post a screenshot from Thaiphoon burner for one of your memory sticks.

And a screenshot from the Main page in Ryzen cal after you have selected the proper drop down fields and hit R-XMP don't touch the calculate options yet.

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
Guys i need some advice. I built my first Ryzen 4 months ago and now my secondary PC died so I want to upgrade that one on the cheap to Ryzen 3600. Micro Center has MSi boards with rebates right now so I can either get the

B450 MSi Tomahawk MAX price after rebate $105
X470 MSi Gaming Plus (non MAX) price after rebate $100

The Gaming plus has a second M.2 which is a definite plus but i would have to use BIOS flashback to get my Ryzen 3600 running. I know MSi makes the best B450 boards and the Tomahawk MAX should have a large enough BIOS but i am unsure if the X470 Gaming Plus would get Ryzen 4000 (assuming a new socket is not needed.) Anyone know the size of the BIOS for the X470 Gaming Plus? It probably is not large enough since they released a MAX version correct?

Any suggestions? I am using Micro Center for the bundle discount and they have the CPU's on sale currently.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Guys i need some advice. I built my first Ryzen 4 months ago and now my secondary PC died so I want to upgrade that one on the cheap to Ryzen 3600 as well. MIcrocenter has MSi boards with rebates right now so I can either get the

The Gaming plus has a second M.2 which is a definite plus but i would have to use BIOS flashback to get my Ryzen 3600 running. I know MSi makes the best B450 boards and the Tomahawk MAX should have a large enough BIOS but i am unsure if the X470 Gaming Plus would get Ryzen 4000 (assuming a new socket is not needed.) Anyone know the size of the BIOS for the X470 Gaming Plus? It probably is not large enough since they released a MAX version correct?

Any suggestions? I am using Microcenter for the bundle discount and they have the CPU's on sale currently.
I have the X470 Gaming Plus, and it's been an excellent motherboard. If you get it from Microcenter, they can likely flash it for you there in the store.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
R15 isn't AVX though.

Ah, you are correct. The #s I quoted previously were what I observed with R20.

It looks like R15 does indeed clock a bit higher in the 3925-4000MHz range all-core while running. Averaging closer to 3950MHz.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019

Honestly while tinkering with RAM is fun, I never got any great results out of it.

I have what's listed as Samsung B-die on my G.skill Trident Z RGB 3200CL16 2x8GB. At 3400 it won't boot below CL18, and then I get BSODs. At 3400 CL20 it seems stable. But when I run CB20, and look at R@H/WCG, and other benchmarks, the benefit is just... not much. I think stability is far more important, so I just set it back to 3200CL16 and I've been extremely happy.

When I end up building my 3900X system in the next 3-4 months, I'll pair it with 3600CL16-rated RAM but other than attempting to tighten timings to CL15, etc., I don't see myself really messing around with it much.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
+1 I'd rather just leave my memory be for the most part. Even back when overclocking was actually fun I wouldn't typically touch memory timings at all.

as a side note i miss old school OC

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I guess my b-die has some potential performance available beyond 3800 CL15.

If only decoupling didn't rear it's ugly head :(

DDR4 4000.png

No crazy voltage required to run my b-die at 4000 MHz CL16 used the same 1.45v's that was required for 3600 CL14. Might play around with the timings some more, but will be going back to 3800 CL15 1.42v it looks like as performance is greater.

Reactions: Makaveli

CHADBOGA

Platinum Member
Mar 31, 2009
Guys i need some advice. I built my first Ryzen 4 months ago and now my secondary PC died so I want to upgrade that one on the cheap to Ryzen 3600. Micro Center has MSi boards with rebates right now so I can either get the

Any suggestions? I am using Micro Center for the bundle discount and they have the CPU's on sale currently.
With the MAX range of MSI motherboards, the bios is not only updated to run Ryzen 3000's, but the bios is twice the size of the bios on non-MAX MSI boards.

What this means is that if you update a non-MAX MSI board, your bios interface gets reduced to a less fancy looking interface to save needed space, with supposedly no loss of features you can set in your bios.

So if a newer and presumably larger bios is needed for Ryzen 4000 series, I would be very concerned if a non-MAX MSI motherboard would have enough bios memory to run it.

Even if the above wasn't a factor, Buildzoid from GamersNexus has shown that the Tomahawk has better VRM cooling and possibly better VRM's too, so I would be choosing the Tomahawk MAX, over the Gaming Plus.

Reactions: JimKiler

Det0x

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2014
I guess my b-die has some potential performance available beyond 3800 CL15.

If only decoupling didn't rear it's ugly head :(

View attachment 16614

No crazy voltage required to run my b-die at 4000 MHz CL16 used the same 1.45v's that was required for 3600 CL14. Might play around with the timings some more, but will be going back to 3800 CL15 1.42v it looks like as performance is greater.

What DRAM calculator score/latencies/bandwidth do you get on your normal 3800 CL 15 settings ? As i cant run 3800 speeds on my dual ccx + 4 memory sticks setup myself, but i'm interested in comparing numbers between CL14 3600 and CL15 3800

Last edited:

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
What DRAM calculator score/latencies/bandwidth do you get on your normal 3800 CL 15 settings ? As i cant run 3800 speeds on my dual ccx + 4 memory sticks setup myself, but i'm interested in comparing numbers between CL14 3600 and CL15 3800

DDR4 3800.png

My combo runs 3800/1900 @1.42v's coupled without any issues. As long as you can keep it coupled it would probably be worth the trouble if you could use the memory bandwidth. I haven't done extensive testing to see what the benefit is/was, but it did make a difference on encoding times.

The 4266 MHz result is once decoupled which shows the penalty hit. My motherboard decoupled anything beyond 3800 MHz on the memory speed. I had to bump the voltage to 1.46v's in the uEFI to get 4266 MHz stable enough for testing. The Calculator had no data so I had to just guess on timings. Maybe some latency could be shaved off with more optimized timings?

Last edited:

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
With the MAX range of MSI motherboards, the bios is not only updated to run Ryzen 3000's, but the bios is twice the size of the bios on non-MAX MSI boards.

What this means is that if you update a non-MAX MSI board, your bios interface gets reduced to a less fancy looking interface to save needed space, with supposedly no loss of features you can set in your bios.

So if a newer and presumably larger bios is needed for Ryzen 4000 series, I would be very concerned if a non-MAX MSI motherboard would have enough bios memory to run it.

Even if the above wasn't a factor, Buildzoid from GamersNexus has shown that the Tomahawk has better VRM cooling and possibly better VRM's too, so I would be choosing the Tomahawk MAX, over the Gaming Plus.

I am still debating the X470 Gaming Plus as this would be a secondary PC having the boot LED's would rock and honestly i probably would never upgrade the CPU and nor would i overclock so maybe having the neutered BIOS is acceptable. I am torn. I guess i will have to make a gametime decision in the store.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I am still debating the X470 Gaming Plus as this would be a secondary PC having the boot LED's would rock and honestly i probably would never upgrade the CPU and nor would i overclock so maybe having the neutered BIOS is acceptable. I am torn. I guess i will have to make a gametime decision in the store.

If I were building a secondary system, say for my wife, I’d be okay with a b450, so long as it had built in WiFi. I don’t overclock her systems. I found the two hexadecimal diagnostic LEDs to be less useful than I thought they’d be. The four boot LEDs are enough, IMO.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Any third party fan controller apps for x570 boards? MSI doesn’t have one (thought Dragon Center would, but no go). It’s a pain tweaking them in MSI's sluggish BIOS. I don’t know why reviewers didn’t mention this. Starting to wish I went with Gigabyte.

TIA :)

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Ajay

In the old days I would have said, try Speedfan. There's probably an alternative to that by now. Didn't we have a thread on that very subject on the AT forums recently . . . ?

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
@Ajay

In the old days I would have said, try Speedfan. There's probably an alternative to that by now. Didn't we have a thread on that very subject on the AT forums recently . . . ?
Speedfan hasn't been updated for years and doesn't work. I did find a recent thread, I'll see how this works: