AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 66 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah, same update for my MSI board as well. I might be reinstalling windows tonight .. I will probably update the BIOS regardless, though.

Hopefully you'll have better luck than me with the update.

I tried the new uEFI and it wouldn't play nicely with my b-die. Go figure! I think they borked my MB's version at least. Silly guys turned cool and quiet off by default. Not sure what other switches they flipped, but it wasn't for the better.

I wound up utilizing USB flashback to go back to the previous uEFI which worked fine for me anyways.

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, My 570 motherboard and 3900x came in today. I have the 280mm AIO, and a case that says it will work. Well, if there was no cpu power plugs or VRM heatsinks, the case would work. No I have to remove a 2990wx from its case, and put it in this new case, and put the 3rd 3900x in the old case, in the 280mm AIO in the frontal position.

Reactions: Drazick

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
OK, My 570 motherboard and 3900x came in today. I have the 280mm AIO, and a case that says it will work. Well, if there was no cpu power plugs or VRM heatsinks, the case would work. No I have to remove a 2990wx from its case, and put it in this new case, and put the 3rd 3900x in the old case, in the 280mm AIO in the frontal position.

That sucks... If I were a better friend... you could have sent the 3900X to me and saved yourself some trouble. I apologize for not being a better friend sooner. ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Markfw

May 16, 2002
That sucks... If I were a better friend... you could have sent the 3900X to me and saved yourself some trouble. I apologize for not being a better friend sooner. ;-)
Also, the new case ? no way to put a 1200 Corsair in it. Si I drilled out the hard drive cage rivets. So stupid.

Feb 4, 2009
Also, the new case ? no way to put a 1200 Corsair in it. Si I drilled out the hard drive cage rivets. So stupid.

Mark, maybe you should take on a nerd project and make your own “rack”
Make some wooden shelves with compartments that you can add fans and such too.
I’m thinking a 2’x3’ maybe 6 fans in the front 6 fans in the back then motherboard and power supply laid down in that space.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@Pandora's Box

Go post that in the CBR20 thread so we can have more 3900x results. Also, care to try running the Blender benchmark? I picked that up recently. It is slightly more demanding than CBR20 in terms of stability. We have a thread for that here too.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
@Pandora's Box

Go post that in the CBR20 thread so we can have more 3900x results. Also, care to try running the Blender benchmark? I picked that up recently. It is slightly more demanding than CBR20 in terms of stability. We have a thread for that here too.
I have a new 3900x system, but this one is on an x570 board. Too tired to mess with it more today, but its up and running. And the memory is running 3600@cl15 and FDLR (or whatever the term is) at 1800

Pandora's Box

Apr 26, 2011
I have a new 3900x system, but this one is on an x570 board. Too tired to mess with it more today, but its up and running. And the memory is running 3600@cl15 and FDLR (or whatever the term is) at 1800

Be interested to see if theres any performance difference or boost clock difference between your x570 and x470.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Another unscientific comparison between my kid's PC and mine. Both have 16GB ram, though his at 2133, I'm at 2666. He's on an ASRock x370 board, I'm on an Asus x470 board.

Cinebench R20

His Ryzen 3600 under a Coolermaster 240 (2x120mm) AIO was holding all core clocks of 4.1GHz and Ryzen Master was showing a peak of 69C throughout the run. Scored a 3509.

My Ryzen 2600X under a Thermaltake 360 (3x120mm) AIO was holding all core clocks right around 3.95Ghz and Ryzen Master was showing a peak of 62C throughout. Scored 2948.

They did a nice job with the Ryzen 3xxx parts.

Tarvaln

Apr 28, 2004
I've made a topic for 3900x only testing results on the AMD community forum.
I'm trying to get results from multiple people on different forums consolidated. https://community.amd.com/message/2927219

I don't think anyone is getting the MAX Boost of 4.6 on 3900x. I'd love to see some pics of those that are.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I've made a topic for 3900x only testing results on the AMD community forum.
I'm trying to get results from multiple people on different forums consolidated. https://community.amd.com/message/2927219

I don't think anyone is getting the MAX Boost of 4.6 on 3900x. I'd love to see some pics of those that are.
There has already been evidence of that on this forum. And this is a buiders thread, not a confrontational one.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Busted out my backup combo with the C6H/3600 and dropped in some ram I picked up on Amazon for e decent price. I didn't want to pony up for more b-die as it's really comprised of extra parts anyways. Not sure where the combo will wind up finding it's home yet, but that doesn't mean I can't tinker around with it.

The Asus Crosshair VI Hero is running a older uEFI version that's no longer listed. I'll probably just let it ride on this one for now as I don't really see any reason to update it currently.

I went with the Patriot’s Viper Steel Series 3733 MHz kit as it was only $96 on Amazon. I thought about buying another b-die kit, but figured I'd give this kit a shot and see how it would do. I wasn't really expecting to able to run it at 3733 MHz at 1:1 on the C6H, but figured I'd at least try it before settling on a lower clock.

1567004626164.png

1567004647240.png

I did a little tweaking to it so far, but haven't really went too deep into the subtimings yet. Dram calculator has the memory listed, but only shows safe settings for it. I prefer to just do it in steps and see how the MB auto configures the rest of the settings. I've taken the time to apply all suggested settings at once in the past only to be greeted with a error code on reboot. Now I'll just do it in steps, reboot, and use Aida and see what the effect on the latency winds up being.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
And this is a buiders thread.
I'm seriously considering moving from a "just what I need" build to a "larger mission" like what you've done. My grandmother died recently of MMMT, a rapidly progressive uterine cancer. About 6 months from onset of uterine bleeding to her death, the cancer doubling in volume every 2-3 weeks despite radiation therapy.

So in honor of that, I wanted to seek out two things from you:

1) What is the most fruitful anti-cancer distributed computing network to join?

2) What configuration do you recommend for a 3900X/3950X setup?
My current areas of interest:
- I'm thinking an X570 won't be mission-critical, and would have negligible effects on performance, so was considering a solid X470 board.
- I am not sure if NVMe would be all that critical either, though with prices where they are, it seems logical to get one. Any reason to get more fancy than a single m.2 NVMe?
- Regarding GPU, how much of a role is it playing in your setups for DC work? I'm looking to stay all-AMD, and I know the compute performance of Navi is worse than Vega, but at $350 for the 5700 or $400 for the XT, that's a great gaming deal with a lot of future gaming ability. Do you see any advantage to stepping down to a 1660 Ti, stepping up to a 2070S, or getting a used 1080 Ti, or even snagging a used Vega 56?
- How critical is RAM? I have a 2x8GB G.Skill Trident DDR4 3200 CL16 kit running stable at 3400 CL15. That seems like a decent spot, but is there a big benefit to upgrading the RAM for DC work?

Thank you.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I'm seriously considering moving from a "just what I need" build to a "larger mission" like what you've done. My grandmother died recently of MMMT, a rapidly progressive uterine cancer. About 6 months from onset of uterine bleeding to her death, the cancer doubling in volume every 2-3 weeks despite radiation therapy.

So in honor of that, I wanted to seek out two things from you:

1) What is the most fruitful anti-cancer distributed computing network to join?

2) What configuration do you recommend for a 3900X/3950X setup?
My current areas of interest:
- I'm thinking an X570 won't be mission-critical, and would have negligible effects on performance, so was considering a solid X470 board.
- I am not sure if NVMe would be all that critical either, though with prices where they are, it seems logical to get one. Any reason to get more fancy than a single m.2 NVMe?
- Regarding GPU, how much of a role is it playing in your setups for DC work? I'm looking to stay all-AMD, and I know the compute performance of Navi is worse than Vega, but at $350 for the 5700 or $400 for the XT, that's a great gaming deal with a lot of future gaming ability. Do you see any advantage to stepping down to a 1660 Ti, stepping up to a 2070S, or getting a used 1080 Ti, or even snagging a used Vega 56?
- How critical is RAM? I have a 2x8GB G.Skill Trident DDR4 3200 CL16 kit running stable at 3400 CL15. That seems like a decent spot, but is there a big benefit to upgrading the RAM for DC work?

Thank you.
I do 3 different projects. Folding@home is my primary, but that is GPU. I do Rosetta@home and WCG using BOINC, as they are mostly medical also.

As for the config, I love my 3900x's, faster than my 1950x's in most things. As for the motherboard, I am not impressed with my x570, they 2 x470 boards, the ASRock Taichi, and the ASUS Prime pro both work about the same.

As for the video cards, the 2080TI is king, but pricey. The 1080TI was the best value I ever used, but I sold all but 2 of them. (I sold 10, wish I hadn't now)
As for the ram, andthing 3200 or better will be fine, and your 3400cl15 setup is sweet.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Some updates:

1. Against my better judgment, I picked up another pair of B die sticks. So now I have total of 64 GB in my system. (4 x 16GB)
2. Getting them to work on my board (Gigabyte X570 Elite) has been a torture, to put it mildly. XMP does not work for all 4 sticks, and I did not buy these sticks to run them at 1066 MHz, so the agony continues.
3. I have ordered an MSI X470 Carbon board. It's on sale at the time I ordered it, and with Amazon's "Free Return," I figured it is a low-risk try. I am going on a vacation next week so I won't get to play with it until quite some time, but I am looking forward to it. It has been a while since last I used an MSI board.

Feb 4, 2009
Some updates:

1. Against my better judgment, I picked up another pair of B die sticks. So now I have total of 64 GB in my system. (4 x 16GB)
2. Getting them to work on my board (Gigabyte X570 Elite) has been a torture, to put it mildly. XMP does not work for all 4 sticks, and I did not buy these sticks to run them at 1066 MHz, so the agony continues.
3. I have ordered an MSI X470 Carbon board. It's on sale at the time I ordered it, and with Amazon's "Free Return," I figured it is a low-risk try. I am going on a vacation next week so I won't get to play with it until quite some time, but I am looking forward to it. It has been a while since last I used an MSI board.

Please update when you know. I’d like a 32GB system with a possible upgrade path to 64GB
Also from my amateurish poking around it appears ASROCK boards are best for all 4 dims being populated. I think it has to do with the T topology thing.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Busted out my backup combo with the C6H/3600 and dropped in some ram I picked up on Amazon for e decent price. I didn't want to pony up for more b-die as it's really comprised of extra parts anyways. Not sure where the combo will wind up finding it's home yet, but that doesn't mean I can't tinker around with it.

The Asus Crosshair VI Hero is running a older uEFI version that's no longer listed. I'll probably just let it ride on this one for now as I don't really see any reason to update it currently.

I went with the Patriot’s Viper Steel Series 3733 MHz kit as it was only $96 on Amazon. I thought about buying another b-die kit, but figured I'd give this kit a shot and see how it would do. I wasn't really expecting to able to run it at 3733 MHz at 1:1 on the C6H, but figured I'd at least try it before settling on a lower clock.

View attachment 10135

View attachment 10136

I did a little tweaking to it so far, but haven't really went too deep into the subtimings yet. Dram calculator has the memory listed, but only shows safe settings for it. I prefer to just do it in steps and see how the MB auto configures the rest of the settings. I've taken the time to apply all suggested settings at once in the past only to be greeted with a error code on reboot. Now I'll just do it in steps, reboot, and use Aida and see what the effect on the latency winds up being.
Looks really good. The most you can expect is 1900 Mhz and your Hynix sticks are already doing 1866 Mhz. Micron E-die stuff is reportedly clocking like a champ on Matisse platform as well. Who needs B-die sticks?