AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 65 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
More like leave some 3900X's for the rest of us lol
BEFORE I hit the buy button, every time I have seen them, (and its always been at Amazon) I tell you all first, then buy.

I can't help it if you all are slow on the trigger (of course I am retired, so I spend all day looking at stuff)

And I have plenty to upgrade all my threadrippers, all 8 of them.

Reactions: Drazick and DooKey

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
EVGA CLC 280mm All-In-One RGB LED CPU Liquid Cooler, 2x FX13 140mm PWM Fans, Intel, AMD, 400-HY-CL28-V1
Thats what I got. Remember, I am deaf now, so I won't know if its loud, and I won't care if it is. Just noticed the RGB thing, and I don't like that, but...

Yeah the noise won't be an issue. BTW you can turn the shinies off with their control software. No worries. That's a good AiO btw, hope it works out well for you. It's probably the one I would get were I to use one.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yeah the noise won't be an issue. BTW you can turn the shinies off with their control software. No worries. That's a good AiO btw, hope it works out well for you. It's probably the one I would get were I to use one.
This may very well be the box I put my 3950x in, so I am hoping that it cools better than by other 2 240's. This 3900x will then replace my 1600 I used to flash the x370 board. I decided to try the x570 board and see how it works with my 4266 memory, can I get 4000 at least for speed ?

Reactions: Drazick

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
can I get 4000 at least for speed ?

You can in async mode. Performance won't be there though. I just recently ran my DDR4-4400 with XMP settings and it was trash. 74.4ns latency, 50k read. I was faster at DDR4-3600 with tuned timings. If there' s anyone running DDR4-4000 in synchronous mode then I'd be shocked.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You can in async mode. Performance won't be there though. I just recently ran my DDR4-4400 with XMP settings and it was trash. 74.4ns latency, 50k read. I was faster at DDR4-3600 with tuned timings. If there' s anyone running DDR4-4000 in synchronous mode then I'd be shocked.
I don't quite understand what you mean by "Async" and "Sync" here. PC's have been using synchonous DRAM for like, 8 generations of CPUs. It's called "DDR4 SDRAM" for a reason.

Do you instead mean, not-matched IF CLK versus DIMM CLK? Because that's different than "async".

Edit: Synchronous, even with a divider, is not the same as "async".

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Outside of that, you can always order the free AMD boot kit, and they'll send you a CPU in order to flash your BIOS. https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

That is an awesome program and I thought about taking advantage of it but ended up not going for it. I wish the qualification process was simpler.

Does anyone know how the 3800x compares to the 3900x in terms of boost clocks from 2-8 core loads, not single core loads?

Data from Silicon Lottery is the best that we have at the moment. Maybe someone who has a 3800X will chime in but I do not think I have seen one on this forum.

https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

Silicon Lottery.PNG

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I tried to set my 4266 memory using the output from the Ryzen dram calculater, using safe mode, but it would not even boot. You you tell me what type of 4400 you have ? what stock cl it has, and what the resultant timings (all of them) you got to work ? If its too big for here, you can PM me. I really want this box to shine.

Reactions: Drazick

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
@DrMrLordX: Have you figured out how core numbers correspond between Ryzen Master and Windows Task Manager? Ryzen Master says core #7 (the last one) is the best core in my 3700X but I have no way of knowing which one it is in the Task Manager. Does it change every boot? I assume cores sharing resources via SMT are grouped together.

It looks to me I have two cores that are decent (can hit 4.45 GHz), and three cores that are terrible. One of them is lagging so bad that it often finds itself near 4.0 GHz under mid-to-heavy load when other cores are at 4.10~4.15 GHz. At least it helps decision-making easy when it comes to all-core OC: Not worthwhile with my 3700X. I will play with memory and Infinity Fabric, and bclk.

Does anyone know where I can get a working Ryzen Timing Checker? The one I downloaded from TPU does not work for me.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
There are 3 clock domains to keep in mind when overclocking memory. uclk (memory controller), fclk (Infinity Fabric), and mclk (memory). uclk is automatically decided by mclk when you select memory speed. You can choose mclk and fclk however you want to, but ideally you want them to run at the same speed so that there is the least amount of overhead during communication. If you choose mclk higher than 3733 (or 3600, depending on the CPU and the board), uclk is automatically halved. Implication is that memory controller has reached the limit, and thus memory speed faster than that is not going to help with performance.

You can force mclk to keep running 1:1 in the BIOS. So far the highest frequency I have managed to run is 1900. (DDR4-3800) It looks like there is a hard ceiling imposed by AMD via Infinity Fabric, or maybe all these chips' memory controller hit the limit at around the same frequency. I find the former more plausible scenario.

TravisK_DonW-Next_Horizon_Gaming-Ryzen_Deep_Dive_06092019-page-017.jpg

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
What is this PCI Encryption/Decryption controller in Device Manager and where do I get drivers for it? AIDA64 reports it's a "Cryptographic Coprocessor PSPCCP"

extide

Nov 18, 2009
www.teraknor.net
I don't quite understand what you mean by "Async" and "Sync" here. PC's have been using synchonous DRAM for like, 8 generations of CPUs. It's called "DDR4 SDRAM" for a reason.

Do you instead mean, not-matched IF CLK versus DIMM CLK? Because that's different than "async".

Well you can run them totally different -- not even with a divider. For example you can run FCLK at 1600 and MCLK at 1633. (Horrible choice but it's possible)

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Bought a 3700X rather than a 3600. Figured it will go perfectly with the B350 ITX board and all the other parts I already have for a SFF/portable gaming build. I'm sure the 3800X is a little better binned on average, but the slight boost in performance isn't worth $70 and > 50% more power usage to me, whereas the 8c/16t is worth the increase in cost versus the R5 3600 (to me).

Reactions: Markfw

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
That is a totally understandable rationale. In fact, 3800X becomes even undesirable when its power consumption is taken into account. It performs better than 3700X, yes, but for 50% more power use (and extra $70 up front)? That is not an easy decision to arrive at.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

Call it what you will. Ryzen Master calls it "coupled mode" if DRAM and IF clocks are synced. Anyway performance goes into the trashcan once you deactivate "coupled mode".

I tried to set my 4266 memory using the output from the Ryzen dram calculater, using safe mode, but it would not even boot. You you tell me what type of 4400 you have ? what stock cl it has, and what the resultant timings (all of them) you got to work ? If its too big for here, you can PM me. I really want this box to shine.

Mine are DDR4-4400 19-19-19-39:

https://www.newegg.com/corsair-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820236382

The XMP settings are impossible to use directly since my lovely motherboard tries using 1.2v when I activate XMP mode, and I can't override it either. Lulz. I extracted as much XMP data I could from Thaiphoon Burner and left every other timing/subtiming on auto, gave it 1.45v DIMM + 1.1v SoC, and let her rip. The machine had to uh . . . think about it for awhile, but it did boot, with 1600 MHz IF clock. 1866 IF clock did not boot with these settings. Performance was pretty bad thanks to the IF clock being out of step with the RAM clock.

@DrMrLordX: Have you figured out how core numbers correspond between Ryzen Master and Windows Task Manager? Ryzen Master says core #7 (the last one) is the best core in my 3700X but I have no way of knowing which one it is in the Task Manager. Does it change every boot? I assume cores sharing resources via SMT are grouped together.

Depends on the application. When using SuperPi, I found that when using HT, Core 0/1 is 1, core 2/3 is 2, etc. But in Cinebench R20 it was a mess. Cores in task manager seem to be haphazardly assigned to the cores displaying in Ryzen Master.

Does anyone know where I can get a working Ryzen Timing Checker? The one I downloaded from TPU does not work for me.

It hasn't been updated. Yet.

Well you can run them totally different -- not even with a divider. For example you can run FCLK at 1600 and MCLK at 1633. (Horrible choice but it's possible)

Yes, if you run them out-of-sync then performance drops like a rock.

Last edited:

Snarf Snarf

Feb 19, 2015
Data from Silicon Lottery is the best that we have at the moment.

According to this chart my 3900x P95 stable at 4.35 is in the top 5% of bins which I find to be relatively surprising because I don't see very good single core boosts on my sample...

extide

Nov 18, 2009
www.teraknor.net
According to this chart my 3900x P95 stable at 4.35 is in the top 5% of bins which I find to be relatively surprising because I don't see very good single core boosts on my sample...
They were only testing up to 1.25v which is a little odd. Not sure why, as even stock they run higher voltages than that.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I have done it since the beginning but the problem persists. Not exactly problem if I ignore it but I do not like to see an exclamation mark in Device Manager. I tried to manually update the drivers to no avail. I hope there is a fix (coming).

Motherboard? 4.35 all-core is amazing. With my 3700X even 4.20 GHz is pushing it.

But somehow I managed to score the highest points for all 3700X's in Geekbench. (the secret is to run it on Ubuntu off a USB stick, lol)

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14381161

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Looks like I'm in for another round of beta testing as MSI just dropped an updated uEFI for my x570 Gaming Plus. Anybody else using MSI MB's might want to take a look and see.

- Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3abb
- Improve memory compatibility.

It's not like my rig isn't fully functional as is, but one often wonders if there's any performance left on the table. Viewing the video posted that showed boost behavior between motherboards has got my curiosity up.

extide

Nov 18, 2009
www.teraknor.net
Looks like I'm in for another round of beta testing as MSI just dropped an updated uEFI for my x570 Gaming Plus. Anybody else using MSI MB's might want to take a look and see.

- Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3abb
- Improve memory compatibility.

It's not like my rig isn't fully functional as is, but one often wonders if there's any performance left on the table. Viewing the video posted that showed boost behavior between motherboards has got my curiosity up.

Yeah, same update for my MSI board as well. I might be reinstalling windows tonight .. I will probably update the BIOS regardless, though.