AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
My take:
1) match the ram as closely as possible in all areas, identical would be best.
2) No problems like that, that I have heard of.
3 and 4) If you don;t need PCIE4, then get an x470 board, one with good VRMs, that processor draws a lot, and a better board would make it more stable.
5) You want quiet ? get a 240,280 or 360 AIO.
6) any paste, no big deal. Use what comes with the AIO I always do.

Reactions: Drazick

Interitus

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
I got tired of waiting. Originally, they were supposed to launch with the 3000 chips, but, its still not here. So, I ended up snagging this B-Die set.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232485

I have the GTZRX version of that kit now running with a 1700 & C6H. I just really wanted to get to 32GB and still have the memory as close to fabric clock sweet spot as possible. Without breaking the bank. I bought my B-Die when it was at absurd prices, so they've already gouged me once. I may just say screw it and clock my current kit up to 3600 and go for 32GB later.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I have the GTZRX version of that kit now running with a 1700 & C6H. I just really wanted to get to 32GB and still have the memory as close to fabric clock sweet spot as possible. Without breaking the bank. I bought my B-Die when it was at absurd prices, so they've already gouged me once. I may just say screw it and clock my current kit up to 3600 and go for 32GB later.

My 16g set was 150ish, so not too bad given it being B-Die.

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com

I got my gskill 3200 ram running at 3600 without much effort and good timings. Just make sure the infinity fabric clock is in sync with your RAM speeds. 1800/1800

Reactions: Drazick and IEC

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I'm confused by your Ryzen Master locks stuff to high voltage when monitoring with it. Can you explain how you've come to that conclusion?

lol is /s ?

I use HWinfo64 to monitor my 3600 anyways. Nothing tops Ryzen Master when it comes to real time core clocks as far as I can tell.

Edit: I decided to just test it out and see if what you said was true. I'm running all stock settings and playing around with the ECO mode currently.

View attachment 8783

Either it is misreading something or forcing it to a higher voltage when Ryzen Master is open.

I think it is X570 specific, my 3600 B350, it does not happen.

Everything is a lot wonkier on X570 vs B350.

Windows Balanced Power Plan 85% min 100% max CPU.

Ryzen Master Open

3900x-x570-idle.jpg

Ryzen Master Closed

3900x-x570-idle-no-rm.jpg

Last edited:

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I am planning to put together a Ryzen 3K build.
Main use is running VMs, compiling huge C++, C#, maven projects, running some ML programs and very light gaming.
Dual boot running Windows 10 with Linux in a VM and running Linux with Windows 10 in VM

I have some questions
1. RAM : I already have Trident Z 3200 CL14 non RGB, 2x8 GB. Can I add two more Trident Z 3200 RGB 2x8 with the build. How would the RAM speed be like? will it run at its rated speed and latency values?
2. Is the Processor buggy, like the Linux seg fault for 1st gen Ryzen? I have the 1700X and I get hit with the seg fault very often especially when compiling with many threads. Sometimes my VM would just crash and exit killing my files :(
3. I am planning to use my B350 Prime, because I dont overclock, would it suffice or the processor will be throttling a lot? Or should I get a new board instead.
4. PCIe Gen3 is Ok for me, I have one NVMe drive which I run my VMs off, and I backup to normal SSDs.
5. Quiet is important for me, so does the 3900X have the 20 degrees Celsius offset which made my fans spin up unnecessarily? I have a Noctua NH L9 x 65 and a Corsair Hydro RGB H110i, would the included cooler be better than the ones I have?
6. Which thermal paste?

I use QEMU a lot inside my Linux and Linux VMs and I hope the single thread performance is a signigicant boost over my 1700X, since QEMU is not really multithreaded properly and I have to wait so much to power up QEMU instances.

Anyone can share experiences?

I am worried about the BIOSes cooking the CPU with too much voltage, I will use this thing for work stuff.

I wanted to buy the RX5700 but I think I would need a card with stronger compute, just not too much power like the Vega. Gaming would be an afterthought.

You should RMA your 1700X, I did it with the 1700 no issues.

I ran my 3900X on a Prime B350-Plus / 1.0.0.2, Gammaxx 400, links below on that experiment. You would throttle at some point, but only extreme cases.

https://imgur.com/a/OLeOMyP

https://imgur.com/a/x4HwXaK

Pandora's Box

Apr 26, 2011
So I just ran the Division 2 benchmark in DirectX12 at 3440x1440 on my Titan Xp and 3900X. Here's a MSI Afterburner screenshot of the 12 physical cores:

ceEBsOI.png

This is with all default settings in the BIOS on my X470 Taichi motherboard, PBO is not enabled. CPU seems to be boosting as advertised for me, not quite 4600Mhz but I'll take it. This is with the Ryzen Balanced power plan btw.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So I just ran the Division 2 benchmark in DirectX12 at 3440x1440 on my Titan Xp and 3900X. Here's a MSI Afterburner screenshot of the 12 physical cores:

ceEBsOI.png

This is with all default settings in the BIOS on my X470 Taichi motherboard, PBO is not enabled. CPU seems to be boosting as advertised for me, not quite 4600Mhz but I'll take it. This is with the Ryzen Balanced power plan btw.
So within 25 mhz on a game.... On multiple cores. I think the whiners on boost speed need to shut up.

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
Phase one of my 3600X test config is complete. I used the Asrock B450M Pro4 MB first since it had a more usable bios than the C6H, which sits on a shelf waiting on Asus bios guys get around to the old MB's.

Anyway, it has 16 GB of Flare X 3200C14 and is currently running a Pstate OC of 4GHz at 1.184vcore. I replaced the Wraith Spire "2" with an original Spire and replaced the 92mm fan on that with a 120mm Phanteks radiator fan. It runs just as cool as it did with the Spire "2" and a Cryorig 12mm HSF fan but is even quieter now.

It's in a Lian Li T60 open test bench in my bedroom desk cubby and has to be quiet enough to run overnight. As I'm typing this it's idling at 39C, and is almost inaudible. The vertical-stacking T60 "case" is perfect for the desk cubby -- which adds the protection that a normal case would otherwise provide -- while leaving all the parts accessible for tinkering.

The GPU is a fanless Gigabyte GT 1030 which is perfectly adequate for developing/testing my software. The PSU is an EVGA Supernova G3 550 gold which is totally loafing while cranking out the 35-130 watts this system requires -- so I can't hear its fan at all over the CPU fan.

It remains to be seen if I will go on to phase two or not. I can't imagine that rebuilding it on the C6H will result in any significant improvement. Instead I may just rebuild the 2700X around the C6H in the Air 540 and wait til the next round of AM4 chips and upgrade that.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Phase one of my 3600X test config is complete. I used the Asrock B450M Pro4 MB first since it had a more usable bios than the C6H, which sits on a shelf waiting on Asus bios guys get around to the old MB's.

Anyway, it has 16 GB of Flare X 3200C14 and is currently running a Pstate OC of 4GHz at 1.184vcore. I replaced the Wraith Spire "2" with an original Spire and replaced the 92mm fan on that with a 120mm Phanteks radiator fan. It runs just as cool as it did with the Spire "2" and a Cryorig 12mm HSF fan but is even quieter now.

It's in a Lian Li T60 open test bench in my bedroom desk cubby and has to be quiet enough to run overnight. As I'm typing this it's idling at 39C, and is almost inaudible. The vertical-stacking T60 "case" is perfect for the desk cubby -- which adds the protection that a normal case would otherwise provide -- while leaving all the parts accessible for tinkering.

The GPU is a fanless Gigabyte GT 1030 which is perfectly adequate for developing/testing my software. The PSU is an EVGA Supernova G3 550 gold which is totally loafing while cranking out the 35-130 watts this system requires -- so I can't hear its fan at all over the CPU fan.

It remains to be seen if I will go on to phase two or not. I can't imagine that rebuilding it on the C6H will result in any significant improvement. Instead I may just rebuild the 2700X around the C6H and wait til the next round of AM4 chips and upgrade that.

Have you tried auto cpu settings? You may be giving up the auto-tuned performance by going manual on it...

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
Have you tried auto cpu settings? You may be giving up the auto-tuned performance by going manual on it...
No doubt I'm giving up some performance: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/13865849 was done with stock settings. That may still be the highest single-core score for a 3600x on geekbench (running Linux though). Meanwhile, my current config is well below that one.

However, it ran too loud and too hot at stock. I could have fixed the loud with a different HSF but max performance was never really my singular goal.

Aug 14, 2018
... I would suggest resetting your uEFI to total stock settings before playing around. My 3600 works best when I let it do what it's supposed to do.

Did you go with an x570 board for that 3600, or upgrade the BIOS on an X470/B450?

Since my motherboard kicked the bucket during a reboot just 2 days after I build the new system, I'm thinking about grabbing a 3600 and a sub-$300 (<$200 would be better) X570 board so I not only have something to use while waiting out the lengthy NewEgg RMA process*, but also see if that motherboard decided to take my CPU and RAM with it, when it croaked. As long as it's not another GB board (the aorus master is what died), I'm game for anything that's getting good results

* seriously, NewEggs RMA is slooooow. A keyboard I'd ordered arrived busted all to crap, looking like a trunk ran over it. It spent 5 days being "inspected", before somebody there finally decided "Yup. That's broken alright. Send out another".

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017

ceEBsOI.png

For how long though? That graph only tells us that it hit 4575 MHz at some point for God knows how long. Also a game isn't the best way to test ST boost clocks as the threads get shifted among the cores.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
For how long though? That graph only tells us that it hit 4575 MHz at some point for God knows how long.
So, it did it, so what ? thats the advertised boost. What will it take for you to realize that the spec is real ? Do you need someone to hit you on the head ?

I am really sick of the whiners on this subject.......

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
So, it did it, so what ? thats the advertised boost. What will it take for you to realize that the spec is real ? Do you need someone to hit you on the head ?
4575 MHz != 4600 MHz, so it's not boosting as advertised. And boosting for a few measly milliseconds does not count.

Reactions: Drazick
Aug 14, 2018
Cool! I was leaning towards that one, since it'll eventually end up in a mid-range gaming rig anyway, once I get this crap with the work desktop sorted out, and back up and running. Thanks! :D

Oh, BTW, I've still got that Wraith Prism cooler that came with the 3900X (I used an NH-D15 for that CPU). Think that would be fine with a 3600 for now, or should I just grab a CLC for it now? That noctua cooler works great (and I'm liking the Dark Rock pro 4), but I'd prefer sticking the 3600 in a smaller case eventually, and those two coolers are pretty massive.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Cool! I was leaning towards that one, since it'll eventually end up in a mid-range gaming rig anyway, once I get this crap with the work desktop sorted out, and back up and running. Thanks! :D

Oh, BTW, I've still got that Wraith Prism cooler that came with the 3900X (I used an NH-D15 for that CPU). Think that would be fine with a 3600 for now, or should I just grab a CLC for it now? That noctua cooler works great (and I'm liking the Dark Rock pro 4), but I'd prefer sticking the 3600 in a smaller case eventually, and those two coolers are pretty massive.

I'd probably give the cooler a shot and see how it does. The stock one included with the 3600 would make a good paper weight if you clean the TIM off.

My rigs in a Black NZXT H500 I added 2 140mm front intake fans so it's like a little wind tunnel going over the motherboard from top to bottom. Went with air cooling myself. I wound up gong with the ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO with white fans as I'd already purchased their 140mm ones as my intakes. Popped it on, plugged it in, let the MB control the fans and it's getting the job done.

Aug 14, 2018
I'd probably give the cooler a shot and see how it does. The stock one included with the 3600 would make a good paper weight if you clean the TIM off.

My rigs in a Black NZXT H500 I added 2 140mm front intake fans so it's like a little wind tunnel going over the motherboard from top to bottom. Went with air cooling myself. I wound up gong with the ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO with white fans as I'd already purchased their 140mm ones as my intakes. Popped it on, plugged it in, let the MB control the fans and it's getting the job done.

Cool, cool. :)
The 3900X build is air cooled, too. I got a Meshify S2 for it (so space isn't an issue), but if I had to do it over again, I'd get an O11 dynamic or something close to it. There's definitely no issue with airflow in there, since I strategically put enough NF-F12s in the right places to see to that. (and removed the filter from the mesh front and top intakes)

Reactions: Space Tyrant

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
What I meant was did you notice any improvement from the lapping of the heat spreader.
You are mistaking me for someone else. I have not lapped the IHS. :p

Since I inadvertently downgraded the board's BIOS from 1003AB to 1003, the performance is noticeably more consistent and predictable. If anything the later BIOS reduced the performance. I wonder why.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
So within 25 mhz on a game.... On multiple cores. I think the whiners on boost speed need to shut up.
Well to be fair there are huge variations between boards and AGESA versions. Previously on 1003AB my 3700X barely went over 60C under load (Prime95 LargeFFT). After flashing it to 1003, the same chip now heats up to 75C. Performance is also more consistent. It's as if there is a power budget difference between BIOS versions. Under both BIOS'es PBO or AutoOC did little to nothing. It's as if there is an invisible hand governing power/heat limits of the chip. And in all likelihood, I believe there is such a hand.