AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 49 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
You are seeing the usual lag of something new coming out and fufillment. For example I ordered a 3900x from Bestbuy late on release day (or maybe the day after). Anyways they got enough in to send it to me last week. So whats going to happen is all those backorders from the first week are getting filled and each system will bring them closer and closer to being in stock. Probably by first week of August you can probably walk into Microcenters and pick one up.

I figured that. Just not sure how backed up the retailers were at this point. Its nice being in a place where Microcenters exist. I went years without it.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I figured that. Just not sure how backed up the retailers were at this point. Its nice being in a place where Microcenters exist. I went years without it.
I would strongly encourage you (if you haven't) to test out the the parts you've purchased so far. I wound up having a bum PSU and RAM that failed rather quickly when I put everything together and fired it up.

Maybe you already have been doing this... but just in case. There's also a handful of other users in this thread that faced something similar.

I couldn't test my ram ahead of time (still on DDR3 before this upgrade), but should have tested the new PSU and that misstep was certainly an annoyance. EDIT: Oh, and I bought a M.2 USB adapter to test the drive I got, and the adapter didn't work! It was a lot of anxiety packed into a weekend.

Good luck with your system.

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I would strongly encourage you (if you haven't) to test out the the parts you've purchased so far. I wound up having a bum PSU and RAM that failed rather quickly when I put everything together and fired it up.

Maybe you already have been doing this... but just in case. There's also a handful of other users in this thread that faced something similar.

I couldn't test my ram ahead of time (still on DDR3 before this upgrade), but should have tested the new PSU and that misstep was certainly and annoyance. EDIT: Oh, and I bought a M.2 USB adapter to test the drive I got, and the adapter didn't work! It was a lot of anxiety packed into a weekend.

Good luck with your system.

It's the worst part of this game. Finally get it all together and it does not work.

Chaoticlusts

Jul 25, 2010
. Once my eBay special gets here, I can diagnose if the rest of the system can be made to post. Then I'll be 100% sure that I nuked my initial chip.

Ok this maybe a stupid question but do you think it's possible to transplant chiplets between 3900's? I mean even if it was I imagine it'd be an insanely delicate process, on the other hand you could DIY a golden chip :)

Chaoticlusts

Jul 25, 2010

Thought that might have been optimistic :p

Honestly the fact that people can delid without destroying the damn things (CPU's in general that is) impresses me so much I try not to take anything for granted in the 'no way that could happen' sense at least until people who know more than me weigh in on it :)

Hand tremors meant there's only so far I got into messing around with electronics so my knowledge is a bit lacking in the hands on department.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Thought that might have been optimistic :p

Honestly the fact that people can delid without destroying the damn things

Haha, optimistic barely scratches the surface. Such operation is meant to be done once. I doubt even the assembly facilities at AMD can do it a second time. That's how delicate it is.

For delid, I think someone was talking about destroying the Ryzen 3000 doing the same thing.

Pandora's Box

Apr 26, 2011
Got my 3900X installed under a Corsair H150 Pro 360mm AIO on my Asrock X470 Taichi on Bios 3.46

Ran a quick cinebench R20 test before going to bed. This is default settings in bios with 2x8GB 3200MHZ CL14 RAM:

n4SlrWy.png

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Ok this maybe a stupid question but do you think it's possible to transplant chiplets between 3900's? I mean even if it was I imagine it'd be an insanely delicate process, on the other hand you could DIY a golden chip :)

That would be a no.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
GPU - 2080 Super Founders
Motherboard - Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite
RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8 3200 CL14
PSU - Corsair 850w RMi
NVMe - Crucial P1 1TB

CPU will be a 3900x
Looking for a new monitor as well as my old dual 1080p screens are garbage.

Interitus

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2004
For those of you like me that were waiting on Trident Z Neo, they're starting to crop up on the web in Australian and German websites.

https://www.megabuy.com.au/gskill-m48213.html?keywords=neo&pfrom=&pto=&sort=4d

https://www.eyo.com.au/search_results.php?search_term=neo&x=0&y=0

Looks like most of the kits are represented here. Multiply the price by .9 to pull off the GST, then do your local currency conversions.

Looks like more B-Die premiums, not that we expected any less. The 16-16-16-36 3600mhz kit in 32GB is what I was looking to grab. For a cool $375 USD apparently.

** disclaimer: I just found these via google, but after a quick search they appear to be legit AU hardware sites

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
For those of you like me that were waiting on Trident Z Neo, they're starting to crop up on the web in Australian and German websites.

https://www.megabuy.com.au/gskill-m48213.html?keywords=neo&pfrom=&pto=&sort=4d

https://www.eyo.com.au/search_results.php?search_term=neo&x=0&y=0

Looks like most of the kits are represented here. Multiply the price by .9 to pull off the GST, then do your local currency conversions.

Looks like more B-Die premiums, not that we expected any less. The 16-16-16-36 3600mhz kit in 32GB is what I was looking to grab. For a cool $375 USD apparently.

** disclaimer: I just found these via google, but after a quick search they appear to be legit AU hardware sites

I got tired of waiting. Originally, they were supposed to launch with the 3000 chips, but, its still not here. So, I ended up snagging this B-Die set.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232485

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
GREAT NEWS!

It turned out my 3700X is ALIVE. So is the board. I was all ready to take them back to Microcenter for return when I did Q-Flash thing DrMrLordX suggested. Flashed it to F3 BIOS. (AGESA 1003, not 1003AB) The board did its thing and the LED blinked, so I knew the board was not totally dead. Then I reinstalled the CPU, mounted the HSF, powered it on - then VOILA! The logo came up on the screen and I was greeted with the BIOS screen.

Testing now and everything looks good so far. Thank you again, everyone. Especially DrMrLordX, you saved me a whole lot of grief and unnecessary trip to Microcenter. I cannot thank you enough!

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
GREAT NEWS!

It turned out my 3700X is ALIVE. So is the board. I was all ready to take them back to Microcenter for return when I did Q-Flash thing DrMrLordX suggested. Flashed it to F3 BIOS. (AGESA 1003, not 1003AB) The board did its thing and the LED blinked, so I knew the board was not totally dead. Then I reinstalled the CPU, mounted the HSF, powered it on - then VOILA! The logo came up on the screen and I was greeted with the BIOS screen.

Testing now and everything looks good so far. Thank you again, everyone. Especially DrMrLordX, you saved me a whole lot of grief and unnecessary trip to Microcenter. I cannot thank you enough!

Nice! Probably nothing more than a corrupted bios in the end.

Did your adventure at least help out with temps?

This go around be careful what options you select in the uEFI.

Pushing the clocks and playing around in the uEFI are still probably not the safest thing to do, at least til it's more mature.

I've settled on all stock settings, PBO off, voltages on auto for my 3600 for now as it looks to work out best for me. I'm waiting for MSI to update the uEFI, but it looks like they're holding off for now.

Today I'm testing out the new ECO mode option for the 3xxx series in Ryzen Master to see how my system reacts.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Today I'm testing out the new ECO mode option for the 3xxx series in Ryzen Master to see how my system reacts.
What am I missing. I just uninstalled Ryzen Master, and re-downloaded it, and there's still no "ECO Mode" that I can see.

Also, I noticed in my Add/Remove Programs, in Win10 Control Center, there's TWO listings for "AMD Chipset Drivers". 1.07.07.0725, and 1.07.07.0730. I installed AMD Raid drivers and NVidia drivers, as well as Asus AiSuite3 on that same day. Perhaps it was contained in one of those files?

Only the .0725 is listed on AMD's download page.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
What am I missing. I just uninstalled Ryzen Master, and re-downloaded it, and there's still no "ECO Mode" that I can see.

Also, I noticed in my Add/Remove Programs, in Win10 Control Center, there's TWO listings for "AMD Chipset Drivers". 1.07.07.0725, and 1.07.07.0730. I installed AMD Raid drivers and NVidia drivers, as well as Asus AiSuite3 on that same day. Perhaps it was contained in one of those files?

Only the .0725 is listed on AMD's download page.

Your missing another thing to fiddle around with?

I would suggest resetting your uEFI to total stock settings before playing around. My 3600 works best when I let it do what it's supposed to do.

Just select a profile and you should see it. Mines already highlighted as that the mode I'm using currently. Select it and hit apply and test, system will reboot and once back in windows Ryzen Master will prompt you, then it'll do it's thing. I just saved is as my Profile 2.

1563908533214.png

Last edited:

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Ryzen Master locks stuff at high volts when monitoring with it, lol.

CPU-Z 1.89.1 / HWinfo64 6.08-3830 (1 second polling, 7 sample average) Ryzen Balanced Power Plan

3600 / MSI B350 Tomahawk / 1.0.0.2 does not care if Ryzen Master is running.

3900X / Aorus X570 Ultra / 1.0.0.3AB works great when not using Ryzen Master!

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Ryzen Master locks stuff at high volts when monitoring with it, lol.

CPU-Z 1.89.1 / HWinfo64 6.08-3830 (1 second polling, 7 sample average) Ryzen Balanced Power Plan

3600 / MSI B350 Tomahawk / 1.0.0.2 does not care if Ryzen Master is running.

3900X / Aorus X570 Ultra / 1.0.0.3AB works great when not using Ryzen Master!

I'm confused by your Ryzen Master locks stuff to high voltage when monitoring with it. Can you explain how you've come to that conclusion?

lol is /s ?

I use HWinfo64 to monitor my 3600 anyways. Nothing tops Ryzen Master when it comes to real time core clocks as far as I can tell.

Edit: I decided to just test it out and see if what you said was true. I'm running all stock settings and playing around with the ECO mode currently.

1563915307542.png

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I did not have temp issue with my 3700X. At least not after I switched from stock cooler. Right now I am on 1.0.0.3 BIOS which the board originally came with. I did not use it because I immediately flashed to 1.0.0.3AB, but now that I am actually on it I like it more than 1.0.0.3AB. Performance seems more consistent.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I did not have temp issue with my 3700X. At least not after I switched from stock cooler. Right now I am on 1.0.0.3 BIOS which the board originally came with. I did not use it because I immediately flashed to 1.0.0.3AB, but now that I am actually on it I like it more than 1.0.0.3AB. Performance seems more consistent.

What I meant was did you notice any improvement from the lapping of the heat spreader.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
I am planning to put together a Ryzen 3K build.
Main use is running VMs, compiling huge C++, C#, maven projects, running some ML programs and very light gaming.
Dual boot running Windows 10 with Linux in a VM and running Linux with Windows 10 in VM

I have some questions
1. RAM : I already have Trident Z 3200 CL14 non RGB, 2x8 GB. Can I add two more Trident Z 3200 RGB 2x8 with the build. How would the RAM speed be like? will it run at its rated speed and latency values?
2. Is the Processor buggy, like the Linux seg fault for 1st gen Ryzen? I have the 1700X and I get hit with the seg fault very often especially when compiling with many threads. Sometimes my VM would just crash and exit killing my files :(
3. I am planning to use my B350 Prime, because I dont overclock, would it suffice or the processor will be throttling a lot? Or should I get a new board instead.
4. PCIe Gen3 is Ok for me, I have one NVMe drive which I run my VMs off, and I backup to normal SSDs.
5. Quiet is important for me, so does the 3900X have the 20 degrees Celsius offset which made my fans spin up unnecessarily? I have a Noctua NH L9 x 65 and a Corsair Hydro RGB H110i, would the included cooler be better than the ones I have?
6. Which thermal paste?

I use QEMU a lot inside my Linux and Linux VMs and I hope the single thread performance is a signigicant boost over my 1700X, since QEMU is not really multithreaded properly and I have to wait so much to power up QEMU instances.

Anyone can share experiences?

I am worried about the BIOSes cooking the CPU with too much voltage, I will use this thing for work stuff.

I wanted to buy the RX5700 but I think I would need a card with stronger compute, just not too much power like the Vega. Gaming would be an afterthought.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drazick