AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

I've had that one in and out of my cart multiple times already. Just haven't been able to pull the trigger on it.

But he has a 570, so loosing all the gen 4 speed.

I'm not worried about blistering fast nvme speeds.

Edit: I wound up just stopping by bestbuy after work and doing a price match with Amazon on the 500GB Samsung 970 Evo plus.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018
Forgot to take a pic this morning, but, the "heat spreader" is barely over the memory package itself.

Newegg FTW.

Ah, Cool! :)

I looked it up earlier while I was working, and those are supposedly 40mm tall. That's just enough to squeeze under the NH-D15, if I swap out that front round 140mm fan for one of my 120mm NF-F12s. :D

I kinda wish I had a spare AIO laying around, since it dawned on me a while ago that the D15 is going to make DOA testing DIMMs a massive pain. Guess I just found a temporary use for that bundled Wraith Prism after all (I was just gonna sell/give it away).

It would be sweet if I could just supply power to board like Q-flash, and the DIMM indicator would light up red/green, without needing to install a CPU, cooler, GFX card, etc.

Would be even sweeter if UPS hadn't dropped/dropkicked my new keyboard. The thing showed up with the corner broken open, and 1/4th of the keycaps strewn throughout the box. RMA'ing that in the morning. At least the Meshify S2 was delivered unscathed.

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I think I will wait 2 months or so for the bios and prices to shake out. Then go 3800X on an X570 motherboard.

Aug 14, 2018
I grabbed a CPU right away from Newegg and it ended up biting me in the arse w/ shipping time from west coast. Amazon would have been preferable but w/e.

I got kinda lucky. NewEgg had some 3900Xs come back in stock for 10 minutes yesterday around noon, so I snagged one. It'll be here by Saturday. The stuff I ordered Monday won't be here until next Tuesday (those parts are coming from LA).

I have no idea when the CPU cooler, case fans, and PSU are getting here. The entry on NewEggs little tracking page says there were mechanical problems with the plane, so they've been stranded in Louisville for the last two days, with no ETA. o_O

Chaoticlusts

Jul 25, 2010
Ha, I've been going back and forth between the 3600 and 3600x due to the awful stock cooler on the 3600 and how close the price becomes once you replace it.. Turns out the AM4 mounting brackets coolermaster sells for the 212 evo work with the plus even though compatibility isn't listed on their website so I can just reuse my current cooler :)

Seems I'll probably be getting a 3600, x470 motherboard and some decent ram. Damn these things are good value, I was worried about the price premium of x570 MB's and tight timing 3600 ram when it looked like those might be significant performance wise but now I'm probably looking at around $650AUD all up! (about $450 US including tax).

Only ah heck is the MB I found that looked like great value seems like it's sold out :( the MSI X470 Gaming Plus was going for slightly less than the Tomahawk and unless I'm mistaken has the same VRM's with better features. The Tomahawk just isn't an option for me, 4 sata ports if you use the M2 slots isn't enough, hopefully something else will turn up or the gaming plus will get restocked but I don't think they're being manufactured anymore so that seems unlikely.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The Tomahawk just isn't an option for me, 4 sata ports if you use the M2 slots isn't enough,
I hate to tell you this, and maybe this is different for you if you get an X470, but with my Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX, and my R5 3600, with the newest release BIOS F40 (with support for 3rd-Gen Ryzen CPUs), I lost my two SoC-driven (I think, they are a different color) SATA ports. The four chipset SATA ports provided by the B450 chipset work and are detected, but the SoC SATA are not found. So, either I lost a non-name Kodak (EMTEC) 512GB SATA SSD, AND an Intel 512GB 545s SATA SSD at the same time, when I powered down (which seems unlikely, especially losing the Intel just from a power-down), OR, the UEFI from Gigabyte is immature, and needs tweaking to enable the SoC SATA ports. Or maybe, the R5 3600 doesn't support the SoC SATA ports like Zeppelin (1st-Gen Ryzen CPU) does.

So, I see 8 SATA ports on X470 boards. If those are all provided by the X470 chipset, you're probably golden, but if some of those are provided by the SoC SATA ports off of the CPU, you might have issues. Or perhaps, my problem is just a Gigabyte thing. Or maybe, my R5 3600 is simply defective in a manner, or I bent a pin somehow. I haven't dis-mounted it to check, and everything else works fine, and it went in fairly easily, so I don't think that I bent any pins. (This isn't my first build rodeo, not with AM4 either.)

Edit: Yeah, the MSI Tomahawk boards are pretty awesome, if you do end up getting one of those.\

Edit: I haven't tried a physical CMOS CLEAR yet. Although, my short foray into fixed-clock OCing (tried 4.3Ghz, wouldn't go), caused my bootup to prompt me to enter setup, and my time/date was cleared, so I figure, somehow, CMOS got cleared anyways. This board seems to have a failsafe boot feature, which is nice, when you're messing with OC.

Chaoticlusts

Jul 25, 2010
@VirtualLarry

Cheers for the heads up, I'll have a look into it before I hit the order button. The Gaming Plus only had 6 sata ports, well 6+2 M2 which I believe can run sata or NVMe hopefully that doesn't wind up as 4+2 but it's better to be sure rather than hope and need to ditch a HDD. The Tomahawks 4+1 just isn't enough for me, at least until I setup a NAS but that's a big extra cost. Otherwise it does look like a great board, I guess I could pop one of my 4TB drives over to an external, I have the empty case of a mybook that I shucked lying around, pretty sure it's an easy mod to get those to accept any HDD :p

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018
The Tomahawk just isn't an option for me, 4 sata ports if you use the M2 slots isn't enough, hopefully something else will turn up or the gaming plus will get restocked but I don't think they're being manufactured anymore so that seems unlikely.

Have you confirmed that from the manual? The way the ryzen 3000 slides were written, I thought I'd lose 2 sata ports by using any M2 slot, no matter what. I was flipping through the manual for the x570 motherboard I ordered, and as long as I don't use the third M2 slot, all 6 sata ports are supposed to remain functional.

With an older board and two M2 slots, maybe you'd only lose two sata ports if you used the 2nd M2 slot?

Edit: nevermind. Looks like you do lose sata 5 and 6 using the single M2 slot on the B450 tomahawk. Looks like neither the B350 or B350+ lose any, but they only have 4 sata ports to begin with.

Last edited:

SK10H

Jun 18, 2015
That's really good for 4x16GB on Pinnacle Ridge! You might want to report your results to @StinkyPinky once you have it up and running.

Asus C6H 1403 BIOS on 1700. 4 x 16GB G.Skill F4-3200C16-16GVK (3200 at 16-18-18-38-56 1.35v). Can boot into Windows and stable at 3120 14-14-16-34-2T (using some weird divider at DDR-2666) but have problem cold booting usually. Starting with 3008 BIOS, can no longer boot at 3120 and can only clock to 3000.

Upgrade to 2700x. Try many BIOS, up to 7103. Can still only clock at 3000. Can never boot at anything >=3200 no matter how slow the timings are.

Replace with Ryzen 3600x 7103 1.0.0.2 AGESA BIOS. Can post at 3600, boot to Windows at 3533, take screenshot at 3466. 3466 NB 0.5.PNG. The NB Frequency got divided by 2 already for some reason.

Memory still error out at 3200 at 14-14-16-34-2T 1.475v, so look like I will settle at 3133 if it's stable. Basically back to my Summit Ridge memory speed but without the cold boot problem.
3133.PNG

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I do the same thing. I never ask. I just let it happen. Just let it happen lol

I kind of let it happen too when i was near a Frys. Sadly Frys is looking pretty dead when you walk into one and i can now just enjoy Newegg. I do miss checking out cases and motherboards in person but their demos of even the motherboards are gone. Its what made that store special to me.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
Whoo, Tomahawk (non-plus) also finally got a new BIOS for 3xxx series. Really tempted to just upgrade the CPU only for now:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/b350-tomahawk
bought new MSI b450 tomahawk for 3900X and absolutely without problems

I was a little bit afraid of AMD+MB makers delivery but midrange b350 and higher boards have 0 problems with new AMD chips
AMD overdelivered here, good job really

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I kind of let it happen too when i was near a Frys. Sadly Frys is looking pretty dead when you walk into one and i can now just enjoy Newegg. I do miss checking out cases and motherboards in person but their demos of even the motherboards are gone. Its what made that store special to me.
I was in a Fry's yesterday. No Ryzen 3xxx's at all and no X570 motherboards. The staff didn't know when they'd get any in either.

Space Tyrant

Feb 14, 2017
Ha, I've been going back and forth between the 3600 and 3600x due to the awful stock cooler on the 3600 and how close the price becomes once you replace it.. Turns out the AM4 mounting brackets coolermaster sells for the 212 evo work with the plus even though compatibility isn't listed on their website so I can just reuse my current cooler :)

Seems I'll probably be getting a 3600, x470 motherboard and some decent ram. Damn these things are good value, I was worried about the price premium of x570 MB's and tight timing 3600 ram when it looked like those might be significant performance wise but now I'm probably looking at around $650AUD all up! (about $450 US including tax).

Only ah heck is the MB I found that looked like great value seems like it's sold out :( the MSI X470 Gaming Plus was going for slightly less than the Tomahawk and unless I'm mistaken has the same VRM's with better features. The Tomahawk just isn't an option for me, 4 sata ports if you use the M2 slots isn't enough, hopefully something else will turn up or the gaming plus will get restocked but I don't think they're being manufactured anymore so that seems unlikely.
The 3600x comes with the "wraith spire 2", which is all aluminum. The original spire has a copper vapor chamber core. The heatsinks aren't remotely the same. However, the "2" makes up for the slightly worse HS by running a much faster fan. Unfortunately, it's much noisier too.
One of the reasons I got a 3600x was curiosity about the Spire 2, but now it looks like I'll be putting a 120/92mm adapter on it and use a quiet 120mm fan instead of the noisy stock 92mm.

Reactions: Chaoticlusts

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Memory still error out at 3200 at 14-14-16-34-2T 1.475v, so look like I will settle at 3133 if it's stable. Basically back to my Summit Ridge memory speed but without the cold boot problem.

Damn, that's pretty fast for 4x16GB. A lot of Summit Ridge users only got DDR4-1866 with configs like that!

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017

Got my b450 tomahawk for 95 EUR :) what a price

Reactions: coercitiv

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
I was in a Fry's yesterday. No Ryzen 3xxx's at all and no X570 motherboards. The staff didn't know when they'd get any in either.

Sounds like a store that just wants to die and given my experience with recent walk ins i say let it. Sadly no Micro centers near me so Frys was it outside of Best Buy if you want a actual gpu same day. Given also the closest Frys is 70 miles away, its not even worth considering any more.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Hey! My Ryzen R5 3600 arrived today, and I just installed it! Board is a Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI, a decent mid-grade B450 board, with BIOS update F40 with explicit CPU support for 3rd-Gen Ryzen CPUs.

So, it's basically working, put on my stock heatsink that I had on there, that was from an R3 1200. (*I sold my R5 1600 heatsink, the nice 95W TDP one, with the R3 1200 rig I sold. Sigh.) The heatsink that came in the box with the 3600 was no better, and looked possibly slightly smaller, if you can believe that.

HWMonitor shows single-core/idle boosting to 4.2Ghz. Hovering around 2.2Ghz at idle. Haven't tried an all-core load yet, will update.

Also, sadly, I lost two SATA ports on the board. I think that they were the SoC SATA ports driven off of the CPU. Not sure if I bent a pin or two on the CPU when I dropped it in (would be rare for me, it went in without force), or most likely, an immature AGESA or Gigabyte UEFI, that didn't quite "wire up" the SoC SATA ports. So my other two 512GB SSDs are inaccessable for now. :(:(:(

All the B450 chipset SATA ports (0-3) are working correctly, or at least, all detected.

RAM is 4x8GB Team Group Vulcan DDR4-3000, all running happily at XMP 3000 speeds, not sure what CAS, probably 16-18-18-38 or 40. They all ran successfully in this board with the R5 1600 too, at XMP speeds. This board has been great for RAM clocking.

Seems maybe a little faster? Hard to tell. I'm happy though. Only $200 for an upgrade, now it shows me running 4.2Ghz, rather than 3.4Ghz.
Watch out for vcore what it is tour vcore runing lets say cinebench.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Welp I snagged a 3900X and MSI X570 Creation @ Newegg on wednesday. CPU wont be here till tues :/ -- oh well still need to order RAM anyways. Board should be here tomorrow (Friday) and then the cpu block will be Monday.
Wow a nice board. It was the most appealing design to me among the X570 boards I've seen but I could not stomach the price tag. That and EATX. Enjoy and report back!

Mandres

Jun 8, 2011
I made my micro center trip last night:
* Ryzen 3600X
* Asus STRIX B450F
* 512GB m.2 drive (MC house brand, but the guy highly recommended it. Said he's getting excellent read/write speeds in his personal rig)
* 16gb G Skill 3600 CL19 DDR4

Total was about $500 with tax. The MBoard was $50 off when purchased with a Ryzen processor. Apparently many of the MC stores have been updating BIOS on the B450 / X470 boards and putting a "Ready for Ryzen 3" sticker on the box, so that's nice. I'm looking forward to building out the new system this weekend.

extide

Nov 18, 2009
www.teraknor.net
Wow a nice board. It was the most appealing design to me among the X570 boards I've seen but I could not stomach the price tag. That and EATX. Enjoy and report back!
Yeah, I wanted the 10G LAN and it also happens to have a ton of USB which I definitely can't complain about. I did get it with the $50 off combo + $10 mail in rebate + additional $50 rebate for leaving a review, which I will do once I get it set up. So, getting $110 off the price certainly helps a lot.

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
I hate to tell you this, and maybe this is different for you if you get an X470, but with my Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX, and my R5 3600, with the newest release BIOS F40 (with support for 3rd-Gen Ryzen CPUs), I lost my two SoC-driven (I think, they are a different color) SATA ports. The four chipset SATA ports provided by the B450 chipset work and are detected, but the SoC SATA are not found. So, either I lost a non-name Kodak (EMTEC) 512GB SATA SSD, AND an Intel 512GB 545s SATA SSD at the same time, when I powered down (which seems unlikely, especially losing the Intel just from a power-down), OR, the UEFI from Gigabyte is immature, and needs tweaking to enable the SoC SATA ports. Or maybe, the R5 3600 doesn't support the SoC SATA ports like Zeppelin (1st-Gen Ryzen CPU) does.

So, I see 8 SATA ports on X470 boards. If those are all provided by the X470 chipset, you're probably golden, but if some of those are provided by the SoC SATA ports off of the CPU, you might have issues. Or perhaps, my problem is just a Gigabyte thing. Or maybe, my R5 3600 is simply defective in a manner, or I bent a pin somehow. I haven't dis-mounted it to check, and everything else works fine, and it went in fairly easily, so I don't think that I bent any pins. (This isn't my first build rodeo, not with AM4 either.)

Edit: Yeah, the MSI Tomahawk boards are pretty awesome, if you do end up getting one of those.\

Edit: I haven't tried a physical CMOS CLEAR yet. Although, my short foray into fixed-clock OCing (tried 4.3Ghz, wouldn't go), caused my bootup to prompt me to enter setup, and my time/date was cleared, so I figure, somehow, CMOS got cleared anyways. This board seems to have a failsafe boot feature, which is nice, when you're messing with OC.

If you are using a PCI-e SSD in the top m.2 slot, it disables the SATA ports from the SOC.
Did you add also a PCI-e SSD on the top m.2 slot?