AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
Curious if there will be any Day 1 sales/combos at any of the usual online options. I'm sure Microcenter will have something, but getting to one is it's own challenge...

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
I'm still wondering whether or not I should buy the 3900X or still wait one more year. Considering the chiplet approach, I'm not sure I want the first iteration.

Feb 4, 2009
I'm still wondering whether or not I should buy the 3900X or still wait one more year. Considering the chiplet approach, I'm not sure I want the first iteration.

Yeah tough call, easy decision for me. My system will be 10 years old in September.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I get your point, but more than chipsets and stuff CPU have to be pretty bulletproof. On top of that it isn't like AMD is moving directly from Mono CPU's to the chiplets. This is just a normal regular progression from what they did with Threadripper and EPYC. This IO die stuff is really just a side move (outside the stuff AMD did for latency) from the 2990wx and 2970wx. Where the IO is handled for some die by other dies. That was the test, the proof of concept. This should be more of a wait for the review to see what the actual performance is thing then hesitation over the IO die.

Reactions: scannall

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Curious if there will be any Day 1 sales/combos at any of the usual online options. I'm sure Microcenter will have something, but getting to one is it's own challenge...
I'd be surprised if many places do. The demand is there, so the "Gotta have it first" buyers will pay handsomely for doing just that.
I wouldn't be so concerned about that. They've really been working on this for a while, so it seems like the performance is there (at least on paper). I would wait for the official reviews to hit, and it turns out as good as AMD says it is, I would go for it. I'm personally going to wait for the reviews, and give the platform about 4-6 months to get all the early bugs / optimizations out of the way, and then go for it this winter. Prices should be more reasonable by then, so hopefully I can catch it on sale or a Newegg bundle discount.

Reactions: A/// and scannall

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Yeah tough call, easy decision for me. My system will be 10 years old in September.
Damn, that's a long time to hold on to a rig. I upgraded from C2D to 4770K/4790K because my DDR2 RAM was maxed out at 8GB RAM per box and I needed more. I can imagine someone holding on to Sandy Bridge because up until 2 years ago with Ryzen there just wasn't that much incentive to upgrade. In fact so long as you had i7-870 or later that used DDR3 you could probably get by until now, but that is still a long time overdue for an upgrade.

All hail AMD for bringing excitement back to CPU market. Thanks to Ryzen I purchased more motherboards, CPUs, and SSDs in the past 2 years than I did in the past 8 years prior. With microcenter just a short 12 miles away from me I have a feeling I'll be upgrading something every year now instead of every 5.

Chaoticlusts

Jul 25, 2010
Yeah I'm still happily plodding away on my 2500K. Although I do feel the pinch multi-tasking wise and while it's fine for most games at 60fps oddly it's indie titles and TBS's that really show it's age. The game I'm looking forward to playing the most after getting a Zen2 processor (Likely 3700x with my budget but will see what reviews say) is Oxygen Not Included, that starts getting quite CPU limited later game. Like framerates tanking due to all the calculations needing to be made, they've added a lot of multi-threading optimisations recently but that just makes me want an 8/16 soooo much more :)

Really hoping I don't have to basically give up on any concept of overclocking just to keep the MB price in some range of reasonable though :/ They were looking really pricey. Maybe the markets changed a lot since last time I looked (Dont tend to pay attention to motherboards between purchases just CPU's/GPU's) but the ones I got for Sandy Bridge (one died) were pretty good mid-range ATX boards and were about the price of the cheapest X570's I've seen listed. May end up doing what others have said/recommended here and just go with an X470

Ahh well I guess wait another month and see and then see what I can pretend that I can justify :p. 3700X with a MB that can manage a respectable OC seems like it could be a nice sweet spot though.

Oh random side question. Has there been any X570's with a legacy PCI slot shown off? I have kept an eye out but didn't see any so far. Not a deal breaker but I kinda like my Xonar DG as a nice simple budget headphone amp for gaming :)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Oh random side question. Has there been any X570's with a legacy PCI slot shown off? I have kept an eye out but didn't see any so far. Not a deal breaker but I kinda like my Xonar DG as a nice simple budget headphone amp for gaming :)

Nope. I haven't seen one X570 announced so far that has any PCI slots.

I'd honestly be really shocked if they released one with PCI slots (long shot could be possibly a server class motherboard).

Reactions: Chaoticlusts

Tup3x

Dec 31, 2016
I'd be surprised if many places do. The demand is there, so the "Gotta have it first" buyers will pay handsomely for doing just that.

I wouldn't be so concerned about that. They've really been working on this for a while, so it seems like the performance is there (at least on paper). I would wait for the official reviews to hit, and it turns out as good as AMD says it is, I would go for it. I'm personally going to wait for the reviews, and give the platform about 4-6 months to get all the early bugs / optimizations out of the way, and then go for it this winter. Prices should be more reasonable by then, so hopefully I can catch it on sale or a Newegg bundle discount.
It's also first for PCI-E 4 so I wonder if next chipset would bring improvements (like less power). Considering that I plan to keep my system for long time, chipset heat could cause issues in some form (fan dying, starting to make noises).

I'll definitely wait a bit before making my decision. I've had my 3770K since release so at this point waiting for Zen 4 wouldn't be that long a wait. Upgrade itch is starting to get pretty bad though.

Chaoticlusts

Jul 25, 2010
Nope. I haven't seen one X570 announced so far that has any PCI slots.

I'd honestly be really shocked if they released one with PCI slots (long shot could be possibly a server class motherboard).

Ahh well figured it was a long shot, cheers for the info though :). There's X370's around with them but it's obviously pretty limiting choice wise. Might just have to look into how well adaptor's function or other alternatives.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017

Did Microcenter do deals for Ryzen 1 and 2? Are they midgrade mobos or high end?

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
They typically offer on top of sales that will come later a $30 or $50 discount when a CPU and motherboard are purchased together based mostly on CPU choice. This is while having pricing in line with online pricing.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Did Microcenter do deals for Ryzen 1 and 2? Are they midgrade mobos or high end?
They typically offer on top of sales that will come later a $30 or $50 discount when a CPU and motherboard are purchased together based mostly on CPU choice. This is while having pricing in line with online pricing.

A lot of times their CPU prices are better than you can find online. Couple that with the $30-50 saving when combined with a motherboard, and it makes for some excellent deals.

Regarding motherboard selection, they usually have a wide variety. I bought my C6H from there (generally considered to be high-end at the time) and I saw budget and mid-range boards too. With the seeming popularity of Zen 2 already, I think MC will have a great selection of boards.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I'm sure there will be plenty of "series 3000 SKU on X470 board XXX" reviews and results posted as we get closer to release day. I might just shoot for the 3700X as I first planned and retain the same core/thread count, since that's what I'm currently running on X370. I also don't want to spend more than I have to on a CPU when I don't plan on upgrading chipset, memory or graphics at this time. Seems like the 3700X would be able to match the 3800X at 4K performance anyway without much effort. The power design on my current board, on paper, should allow for good OC results.

All of the recent announcements are slightly overwhelming imho.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Microcenter do a lot of price-matching as well. If you can find a lower price on Newegg or Amazon they will match.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
A lot of times their CPU prices are better than you can find online. Couple that with the $30-50 saving when combined with a motherboard, and it makes for some excellent deals.

Regarding motherboard selection, they usually have a wide variety. I bought my C6H from there (generally considered to be high-end at the time) and I saw budget and mid-range boards too. With the seeming popularity of Zen 2 already, I think MC will have a great selection of boards.
Hmm, not totally sure about that mobo since I don't know that chipset. I bought a high end gigabyte in 2012 but it wasn't a combo deal, from them. But I remember paying under market value for the board. It still works today or else I wouldn't be here.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
OK yeah so I'm only seeing the somewhat-updates to TheStilt's threads...uh, who the hell scared off the absolute best contributor to this corner of AT forums in the last, I dunno...decade?

FFS. :mad:

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Yeah I'm still happily plodding away on my 2500K. Although I do feel the pinch multi-tasking wise and while it's fine for most games at 60fps oddly it's indie titles and TBS's that really show it's age. The game I'm looking forward to playing the most after getting a Zen2 processor (Likely 3700x with my budget but will see what reviews say) is Oxygen Not Included, that starts getting quite CPU limited later game. Like framerates tanking due to all the calculations needing to be made, they've added a lot of multi-threading optimisations recently but that just makes me want an 8/16 soooo much more :)

Really hoping I don't have to basically give up on any concept of overclocking just to keep the MB price in some range of reasonable though :/ They were looking really pricey. Maybe the markets changed a lot since last time I looked (Dont tend to pay attention to motherboards between purchases just CPU's/GPU's) but the ones I got for Sandy Bridge (one died) were pretty good mid-range ATX boards and were about the price of the cheapest X570's I've seen listed. May end up doing what others have said/recommended here and just go with an X470

Ahh well I guess wait another month and see and then see what I can pretend that I can justify :p. 3700X with a MB that can manage a respectable OC seems like it could be a nice sweet spot though.

I know the feel of keeping a PCI sound card, I bought an AsRock Z97 Extreme3 to keep my Xonar DS and it still works great with Win 10 right now.

I would recommend a USB Sound Blaster as something affordable but offers good options. X-Fi 5.1 or X-Fi 5.1 Pro, I have both, grabbed them refurb / open box and have never had any issues. Work fine with Win 10.

Reactions: Chaoticlusts

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011

Micro Center had deals for Ryzen and Ryzen+, $30 off board, CPU's were at MSRP.

I bought both the 1700 and 2700x the week of release from MC, 2700x only had Asus X470 boards available.

BUT, og Ryzen launch and board availability was the issue, I wanted a nice X370, but ended up with a AB350-Gaming 3 for the R7 1700.

I have been impressed with the board actually, despite what others will say about it's budget-ness. Gigabyte allowed all core simple overclocking via +25 Mhz offset, so, I have it set to 36.75, and all power saving features work, it is an all core OC, with an undervolt, at around 85w total chip usage on stress testing.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011

I'm thinking that "low end" X570 gives you the features of the new chip set, but not an overbuilt board for OC, so, if you *do not* want to OC, the $160 - $200 boards are going to be a good long term investment.

The $250+ plus boards are for the new "unlocked" overclocking ability of Zen2, see the 3000 series thread about that.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
OK yeah so I'm only seeing the somewhat-updates to TheStilt's threads...uh, who the hell scared off the absolute best contributor to this corner of AT forums in the last, I dunno...decade?

FFS. :mad:
Read his last month or so of posts. He was melting down. Had a lot of good info but was being pretty terrible about Zen's possibilities and was constantly dogging AMD's work on it. Obviously it fed into a fanboy war. Knowledge isn't useful if it's just used to prop up your own bias's.

Snarf Snarf

Feb 19, 2015
Fugg it, going whole hog in.

5700 XT
3900X
32GB DDR4 3600 CL14 or 3200 CL14
X570 mid-tier I guess?

MAYBE a 2560 x 1440 144 Hz panel

Go for it on the panel. I've never regretted getting my Acer Predator X27 IPS since the day I bought it, it always catches ooh's and aaaah's at LAN's when I take it with me due to how sharp the colors look for a 144Hz.

I need some advice from the forum, in the weeks leading up this launch I picked up a 16 GB kit of Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 CL 16 for 79.99 on a ridiculous sale ( I couldn't resist at that price) but seeing the sweet spot at 3600 CL 16 makes me consider selling this kit at face and getting the Vengeance RGB 3600 CL 16 kit but... it's over double what I paid for this kit. Basically someone talk me off the ledge of blowing an extra $130 on RAM that may offer a marginal improvement over what I already bought.