AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 45 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 14, 2018
I've heard the gigabyte boards have terrible XMP profiles which is concerning since I ordered one. Anyone able to confirm? Guess a bios update would resolve it but that would be frustrating.

It's entirely possible. The F5G BIOS (AGESA 1.0.0.3AB) has a single XMP profile for that 3200CL16 LPX kit I have installed. It does run the memory at 3200 16-18-18-36, though.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
After battling with my b450 Tomahawk bios I have a 3700x system up and running.

My temps are low and I know Ryzen is supposed to boost voltages at times but the immature bios and drivers are making me a bit concerned....I am half thinking of turning off precision boost for a few weeks until everything settles down and a refined bios is released.

How is everyone else going with their voltages at the moment? Anyone decided to turn boost off for the moment?

Last edited:

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
Anyone using the CH8 Hero wifi? Are your lights working on the mobo? (Aura RGB) If so what order did you install things(drivers, mobo software) Did you all download that Armoury crate software?

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Alright. Asrock Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3 is up for pre-order on Newegg. Final pieces in place.

Side comment what's the best Static Pressure Noctua's. Looking to use them on my H100i. Probably a high CFM Noctua in back as an exhaust.

Jul 24, 2017

My temps are low and I know Ryzen is supposed to boost voltages at times but the immature bios and drivers are making me a bit concerned....I am half thinking of turning off precision boost for a few weeks until everything settles down and a refined bios is released.

How is everyone else going with their voltages at the moment? Anyone decided to turn boost off for the moment?

I'm seeing 1.3-1.35 at idle on my R5 3600, still at the out-of-the-box settings. This is on an Asus Prime X370-Pro with the 5008 BIOS.

However, under gaming load (AC Odyssey) HWMonitor is reporting 1.4-1.45V. Is this bad?

It doesn't seem to be impacting temperatures in a negative way at all - I'm running it with an NH-D15 and in "real use" workloads like H. 264 encoding and play AC Odyssey, I've never seen CPU temps climb above 54C, which is honestly kind of blowing my mind.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
@Fanatical Meat
@StinkyPinky
@IndyColtsFan

Just a quick update. all the parts arrived late yesterday, so the new build is assembled, and Win10 Pro is installed. That aorus master mobo showed up with the F3 BIOS installed, and since GB put out the F5G BIOS (AGESA 1.0.0.3AB) the other day, I updated to it first thing.

So far, so good. The BIOS and CPU-Z are listing that 3200CL16 4x16GB Vengeance LPX kit at the 16-18-18-38 timings (All I had to do, was just enable the XMP profile for it). I won't have a chance to really benchmark the new desktop until this weekend, after I've already
migrated all my work stuff over to it over the next 2 days. Anything in particular you want me to use? I've got AIDA64 (haven't installed it on the new box yet), and I could run the CPU bench in CPU-Z and I guess Cinebench (never used that before).

Once I get WS Pro 15.1 and my VMs moved over, I'll find out whether there's an issue on that front in regards to Linux VMs. :/

@DarthKyrie

I found those low profile Ballistix kits. The only one I could find was listed on that AVAdirect site folks here link to, and it's DDR3. :D

So I wanted to follow up with you again. I may be going to Microcenter this weekend, and they have the Aorus Master in stock. Are you liking the board and BIOS? My other in-stock X570 options (excluding the $700 boards and the low end boards) are:

Asus CHVIII Hero (Wi-fi)
Asus Prime Pro
Asus Rog Strix
Asus Rog Strix E
Asus Pro Workstation
Gigabyte Aorus Pro
Gigabyte Aorus Elite
Gigabyte Aorus Ultra
Asrock Steel Legend
Asrock Taichi

For me, it comes down to the CHVIII, Taichi X570, and the Gigabyte Aorus Master. Recommendations? I was planning on using the included cooler, though I do have a spare 240 AIO I got on sale awhile back. Obviously a 360 would be better but I don't think I can justify the cost. I don't think I'll be doing any manual overclocking but on the other hand, the room it will be in can get warm (upper 70s) so at some point I may need to go that route.

I'm thinking I'll let the dust settle a bit with my X370 Taichi BIOS situation and then maybe get a 3700x for that system. I think I've decided to go with X570 for my 3900x build. This is the RAM you're using, correct?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
So I wanted to follow up with you again. I may be going to Microcenter this weekend, and they have the Aorus Master in stock. Are you liking the board and BIOS? My other in-stock X570 options (excluding the $700 boards and the low end boards) are:

Asus CHVIII Hero (Wi-fi)
Asus Prime Pro
Asus Rog Strix
Asus Rog Strix E
Asus Pro Workstation
Gigabyte Aorus Pro
Gigabyte Aorus Elite
Gigabyte Aorus Ultra
Asrock Steel Legend
Asrock Taichi

For me, it comes down to the CHVIII, Taichi X570, and the Gigabyte Aorus Master.

I'm thinking I'll let the dust settle a bit with my X370 Taichi BIOS situation and then maybe get a 3700x for that system. I think I've decided to go with X570 for my 3900x build. This is the RAM you're using, correct?

Thank you for the updates, still planning my build and going to let the dust settle but I really appreciate your follow up it’s very helpful.

Jul 24, 2017
This might be a really stupid thing to say and I'm definitely not an expert, but could the temperature problems that @VirtualLarry and others are experiencing (since I've seen this reported else where as well) be a problem with Precision Boost being borked?

What I mean is, PB is supposed to keep boosting as long as you have thermal headroom, right?

But what if the PB algorithm is getting bad data and it doesn't realize the temperature is too high? Then maybe it just...keeps boosting? And the temperature keeps going up?

Again maybe I'm totally off-base, but that's the first thing that comes to mind when I see these reports about crazy temps on 3600s.

For my part, PB (just at stock, no PBO) seems to be doing wonders - I'm seeing sporadic all-core boosts to 4195 Mhz. I thought that was supposed to be the single-core boost limit.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
@VirtualLarry
This is kind of a long shot, but I wonder if the IHS isn't flat for your particular CPU. If the heatsink doesn't seem to be very warm, that would indicate a poor connection somewhere in the stack or your monitoring software isn't reporting temps accurately. Or your hand isn't calibrated correctly. ;)

Finally got my ram dialed in at 3600Mhz CL14 (thanks @Snarf Snarf & @Kenmitch ). I ran Prime95 Large FFTs all night and passed no problem. Still need to run the AIDA benchmark to confirm latency is where it should be.

The X570 Prime Pro is growing on me. Only things I miss about my higher-end X370 CH6 are the handy buttons (CMOS reset, BIOS flashback, Power, Reset) and the additional USB ports on the backplate. I thought about shelling out another $100 to get the Aorus Master or MSI Ace but I think I'll stick with what I've got.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
That is totally bonkers. I do not think my 3700X w/ Wraith Prism was that bad. Temps largely stayed below 80C with that thing. Since then I've found a Scythe Mugen in the storage and promptly installed it, which lowered the temp by 10C or so. When the 3600 hits 95C what happens?

I have 2 kits from different vendors using different ICs (Samsung and Hynix, respectively), and XMP work fine on my Aorus Elite board. Tweaking from there is a different story altogether, but if you simply want to enable XMP and forget the board should handle it just fine.

I think XMP only sets the major timings. Then BIOS follows through with the rest. I could be wrong.

What revision of Mugen did you use?

I have two Mugen 2 Rev B. from the 1366 days, one is in the wife's i7 920 D0 computer, that is getting the 3600 upgrade.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011

How do you have AMD Cool n Quiet set in the BIOS?

I just setup the B350 Tomahawk and disabled it, now the 3900X only boosts to 4.2.

Reddit says to enable it / disable, I dunno.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
What revision of Mugen did you use?

I have two Mugen 2 Rev B. from the 1366 days, one is in the wife's i7 920 D0 computer, that is getting the 3600 upgrade.
Mine is the 1st gen I believe. It used to be called "Scythe Infinity." I used it with my original E6600 build.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011

Asus CHVIII Hero (Wi-fi)
Asus Prime Pro
Asus Rog Strix
Asus Rog Strix E
Asus Pro Workstation
Gigabyte Aorus Pro
Gigabyte Aorus Elite
Gigabyte Aorus Ultra
Asrock Steel Legend
Asrock Taichi

For me, it comes down to the CHVIII, Taichi X570, and the Gigabyte Aorus Master. Recommendations? I was planning on using the included cooler, though I do have a spare 240 AIO I got on sale awhile back. Obviously a 360 would be better but I don't think I can justify the cost. I don't think I'll be doing any manual overclocking but on the other hand, the room it will be in can get warm (upper 70s) so at some point I may need to go that route.

I upped my board to the Aorus Master from the MSI X570 Pro Carbon for the 3900X, but, I have not set it up yet.

Someone else in the thread is using the Aorus Master though.

I would get the Prime Pro as the budget-ish option, Pro Workstation as the alternative to Aorus Master.

Steel Legend as the most budget option or the lower end Aorus?

While this is the most high-end board I have ever gotten, I think the 3900X and 3950X do need it for max perf.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
This might be a really stupid thing to say and I'm definitely not an expert, but could the temperature problems that @VirtualLarry and others are experiencing (since I've seen this reported else where as well) be a problem with Precision Boost being borked?

What I mean is, PB is supposed to keep boosting as long as you have thermal headroom, right?

But what if the PB algorithm is getting bad data and it doesn't realize the temperature is too high? Then maybe it just...keeps boosting? And the temperature keeps going up?

Again maybe I'm totally off-base, but that's the first thing that comes to mind when I see these reports about crazy temps on 3600s.

For my part, PB (just at stock, no PBO) seems to be doing wonders - I'm seeing sporadic all-core boosts to 4195 Mhz. I thought that was supposed to be the single-core boost limit.

Yes, something is very amiss somewhere, but, my B350 testing is going pretty well so far, have not seen the issues a lot of other people are having.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Mine is the 1st gen I believe. It used to be called "Scythe Infinity." I used it with my original E6600 build.

Silly question, how did you mount it? Stock AM4 side clips? Can you take a picture or two? lol

Seba

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2000
My PS2 keyboard works under bios, but when I get to windows, it does not work !

Any ideas ?
If Windows 10 thinks you are not using the PS/2 port, it just disables it (for no logical reason).

Start regedit and go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt

and check the value for "Start".

If it's 3 (Load on Demand), change it to 1 (System).

Save the new value (1) and reboot the PC.

There is a good chance that this is your issue.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
This is kind of a long shot, but I wonder if the IHS isn't flat for your particular CPU. If the heatsink doesn't seem to be very warm, that would indicate a poor connection somewhere in the stack or your monitoring software isn't reporting temps accurately. Or your hand isn't calibrated correctly.
That crossed my mind as well.

The first heatsink that I had on there, a 65W R3 1200 stock heatsink, and then the R5 1600 stock heatsink, I had a bit of trouble getting it screwed down to the back-plate. Often, just one screw wouldn't "catch", and I would have the other three screws torqued at least half-way down, and then I would try to force that screw down to get it to catch, well, it wasn't pretty.

I wonder if I warped the heat-spreader, due to un-even application of the stock screw-on heatsink? I guess that's a possibility?

Edit: Shades of old-school, clamping down heatsinks onto heatspreader-less Athlon XP dies, and being careful not to chip the die.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I upped my board to the Aorus Master from the MSI X570 Pro Carbon for the 3900X, but, I have not set it up yet.

Someone else in the thread is using the Aorus Master though.

I would get the Prime Pro as the budget-ish option, Pro Workstation as the alternative to Aorus Master.

Steel Legend as the most budget option or the lower end Aorus?

While this is the most high-end board I have ever gotten, I think the 3900X and 3950X do need it for max perf.

GhostPirateLeChuck has the Aorus Master. Usually when I buy a new board, I research a ton of reviews and forums about the board but the boards still seem too new at this stage and as a result, there isn't enough info. Normally I'd grab the Asrock Taichi (and still might) and call it a day, but Asus looks to have some good (but more expensive) offerings as well. The Aorus Master looks nice too but I'm concerned with Gigabyte's BIOSes.

Jul 24, 2017
Yes, something is very amiss somewhere, but, my B350 testing is going pretty well so far, have not seen the issues a lot of other people are having.

Well I figured it might be an issue only on specific BIOSes. As I said I'm having no problems whatsoever on my board either.

I'd be interested in making a list of which boards and BIOSes people are using when they're running into this problem, and see if there's any trends that appear.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
That crossed my mind as well.

The first heatsink that I had on there, a 65W R3 1200 stock heatsink, and then the R5 1600 stock heatsink, I had a bit of trouble getting it screwed down to the back-plate. Often, just one screw wouldn't "catch", and I would have the other three screws torqued at least half-way down, and then I would try to force that screw down to get it to catch, well, it wasn't pretty.

I wonder if I warped the heat-spreader, due to un-even application of the stock screw-on heatsink? I guess that's a possibility?

Edit: Shades of old-school, clamping down heatsinks onto heatspreader-less Athlon XP dies, and being careful not to chip the die.

Can you take some pictures with your board out of the case, cpu in the board no cooler, and cooler(s) sitting on the CPU, not clamped down?

This is all very odd...