AMD Ryzen 3000 Builders Thread

Page 44 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yeroon

Mar 19, 2017
Well, it seems like the Gammaxx 400 seemed promising, but according to Ryzen Master, temps slowly just crept towards 95C again... anyways. PBO is not enabled, the BIOS got reset, and I just enabled XMP and Saved.

Idle was 55-60C with the Gammaxx 400, then when I enabled BOINC crunching on 12 threads of PrimeGrid, temps hit 76C, and just slowly crept upwards from there, until they hit 95C.

Is no air cooler strong enough to handle this R5 3600 CPU? I'm having trouble understanding this.

Have you taken this pc out of the cubby you said it was in, and ran it in an open room?

Reactions: IEC

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
You seem to have moved on from buying dirt cheap processors just because they're cheap. You need to do the same with your coolers - stop buy dirt cheap coolers. Scythe Ninja 5 is only $60 on newegg/amazon - it'll cool any AM4 CPU without any trouble.

Woah woah woah! I am using the Gammax 400 right now and it does way better than the included Wraith Prism.

I got it for $17 on Newegg sale!

Using it on the 3900X because I was not taking the stock clips off every AM4 board I am testing the 3900X on, 3 boards!, and I did not want the noise of the Wraith Prism (used it on the 2700X, did get too loud, even with tuned fan curve).

Final 3900X install being the X570 Aorus Master, getting a Scythe Grand Kama Cross 3 after testing is done.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
FYI: G-Skill Flare-X is on sale @ theEgg. Lowest-priced B-die I have seen recently. You still pay a hefty premium compared to Hynix or Micron based sticks, but if you like to fiddle with timings the flexibility provided by B-die is hard to beat.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232530

They also have a 32GB kit with 2800/14-14-14-34 timing for $140(!). It appears to be B-die stuff, likely a bottom bin stuff. They should still do 3200/14 IMO, but of course YMMV.

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232198

P.S. That Gammax 400 HSF is a bargain at $17 for sure. And free shipping! Deepcool has other monstrous HSFs for relatively lower prices. I did not know that. Thanks for the pointer!

Edit: The 32GB kit now is $300. Ugh. How the heck do they raise the price from $140 to $300 in a span of 2 hours?

Last edited:
Reactions: Space Tyrant

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You seem to have moved on from buying dirt cheap processors just because they're cheap. You need to do the same with your coolers - stop buy dirt cheap coolers. Scythe Ninja 5 is only $60 on newegg/amazon - it'll cool any AM4 CPU without any trouble.
My purchase choices aside, the Gammaxx 400 came highly rated in an AM4 (budget) cooler shootout on YouTube.

If I'm dropping $60, you had better believe I'd go for a AIO WC 240mm kit, for that amount of money.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
My purchase choices aside, the Gammaxx 400 came highly rated in an AM4 (budget) cooler shootout on YouTube.

If I'm dropping $60, you had better believe I'd go for a AIO WC 240mm kit, for that amount of money.

I went down to my parts bin in my warehouse aka. garage. I have a 280mm AIO Coolermaster Master Liquid Cooler NIB for my Zen 2 build. I believe I paid $80 maybe $90 I have a DeepCool 240mm AIO $65 and my bargain Coolermaster Liquid Lite 240mm AIO I got for $40

Edit, just found a Coolermaster 212+ NIB, paid $14.99.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
So I updated the bios on my x370 Taichi to 5.61 (the best out there supposedly) in preparation for a new CPU 3000 series. My PS2 keyboard works under bios, but when I get to windows, it does not work !

Any ideas ?

And if I plus in a USB keybord, it does work, and device manager says it sees both. The numlock does not appear to work, like the keyboard is not there. But physically its fine, since on the same boot cycle it works in bios

Reactions: Drazick

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Well, it seems like the Gammaxx 400 seemed promising, but according to Ryzen Master, temps slowly just crept towards 95C again... anyways. PBO is not enabled, the BIOS got reset, and I just enabled XMP and Saved.

Idle was 55-60C with the Gammaxx 400, then when I enabled BOINC crunching on 12 threads of PrimeGrid, temps hit 76C, and just slowly crept upwards from there, until they hit 95C.

Is no air cooler strong enough to handle this R5 3600 CPU? I'm having trouble understanding this.
That is totally bonkers. I do not think my 3700X w/ Wraith Prism was that bad. Temps largely stayed below 80C with that thing. Since then I've found a Scythe Mugen in the storage and promptly installed it, which lowered the temp by 10C or so. When the 3600 hits 95C what happens?

I've heard the gigabyte boards have terrible XMP profiles which is concerning since I ordered one. Anyone able to confirm? Guess a bios update would resolve it but that would be frustrating.
I have 2 kits from different vendors using different ICs (Samsung and Hynix, respectively), and XMP work fine on my Aorus Elite board. Tweaking from there is a different story altogether, but if you simply want to enable XMP and forget the board should handle it just fine.

That's odd. XMP profiles are set in the DIMM, not in the board UEFI. Expect updating UEFI on any board you buy anyway since they all shipped Day 1 with pre-1.0.0.3AB UEFI.
I think XMP only sets the major timings. Then BIOS follows through with the rest. I could be wrong.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Clear CMOS? :p
I just falshed it like 10 times in a row, different versions, its been cleared. And it works in bios, so thats not it. It some odd thing about windows, but only applys to later bios version.

Reactions: Drazick

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That is totally bonkers. I do not think my 3700X w/ Wraith Prism was that bad. Temps largely stayed below 80C with that thing. Since then I've found a Scythe Mugen in the storage and promptly installed it, which lowered the temp by 10C or so. When the 3600 hits 95C what happens?
That's why I've been trying to suss out how to get "PROCHOT" indicator to display in Ryzen Master, as that would be unquestionable evidence of thermal throttling. But it won't do that, even when I hit 117C. Which is what I don't get, and why I think maybe my temp sensor is borked, and why my idle temps are 55-66C.

Nothing really happens when it hits 95C, other than it just kinda hangs out at 94.5C most of the time, and sometimes, you see a core popping up showing "sleep", and sometimes you see the all-core Mhz go down briefly.

Edit: I'm running 12 threads of PrimeGrid, and all-core Mhz is 3700Mhz, and slightly below. PPT is 94-98% of 88W.

That's what gets to me, a little, and I guess it must just be the cubby, and case cooling, and airflow, since it crept up to 95C with every cooler that I've tried. The Gammaxx 400 is a 130W TDP cooler, so, logically I would hope, if the CPU is only accepting 88W worth of power (Package Power shows a high of 90W in HWMonitor), that that would be way below the cooler's TDP, and that it could dissipate the heat, before it would build up and "creep up". But I suppose, that would require case airflow too. I don't currently have my sides on, maybe that might make a difference.

Edit: My version of Ryzen Master is 2.0.0.1192. Is there a newer version? (Just downloaded a few days ago, after 7/7 launch.)

Edit: Just checked AMD.com, their oh-so-helpful download page for Ryzen Master, doesn't even give a version number, like their driver download page(s) do. :(

Last edited:

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
So I updated the bios on my x370 Taichi to 5.61 (the best out there supposedly) in preparation for a new CPU 3000 series. My PS2 keyboard works under bios, but when I get to windows, it does not work !

Any ideas ?

And if I plus in a USB keybord, it does work, and device manager says it sees both. The numlock does not appear to work, like the keyboard is not there. But physically its fine, since on the same boot cycle it works in bios

I thought someone at Overclockers saw the same thing on the Taichi - not sure I remember seeing a fix.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
That's why I've been trying to suss out how to get "PROCHOT" indicator to display in Ryzen Master, as that would be unquestionable evidence of thermal throttling. But it won't do that, even when I hit 117C. Which is what I don't get, and why I think maybe my temp sensor is borked, and why my idle temps are 55-66C.

Nothing really happens when it hits 95C, other than it just kinda hangs out at 94.5C most of the time, and sometimes, you see a core popping up showing "sleep", and sometimes you see the all-core Mhz go down briefly.

Edit: I'm running 12 threads of PrimeGrid, and all-core Mhz is 3700Mhz, and slightly below. PPT is 94-98% of 88W.

That's what gets to me, a little, and I guess it must just be the cubby, and case cooling, and airflow, since it crept up to 95C with every cooler that I've tried. The Gammaxx 400 is a 130W TDP cooler, so, logically I would hope, if the CPU is only accepting 88W worth of power (Package Power shows a high of 90W in HWMonitor), that that would be way below the cooler's TDP, and that it could dissipate the heat, before it would build up and "creep up". But I suppose, that would require case airflow too. I don't currently have my sides on, maybe that might make a difference.

Edit: My version of Ryzen Master is 2.0.0.1192. Is there a newer version? (Just downloaded a few days ago, after 7/7 launch.)

Edit: Just checked AMD.com, their oh-so-helpful download page for Ryzen Master, doesn't even give a version number, like their driver download page(s) do. :(

Larry, you have a good cooler. I would add Core Temp to your system and see what the temps come back using a 3rd party app for you idle and load temps.

Jul 24, 2017

While I generally agree with this sentiment, AMD shouldn't be distributing CPUs with stock coolers that can't keep the CPU cool at stock settings - which makes it seem like this is a bug rather than "just how the CPU runs." It's also not in line with what most professional reviewers saw.

Jul 24, 2017
Anyway, I got my 3600 installed on my Prime X370-Pro and while it had a bit of a fit the first time I tried to boot, setting PBO to "auto" fixed that and I'm able to boot with my memory at the full rated speed and timings @B-Riz. Going to try some stress testing now.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002

Hey, check out this TPU's 3600 review:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-5-3600/21.html

TPU said:
Overclocking the Ryzen 5 3600 was mostly held back by temperatures. When using our typical OC voltage of 1.4 V, the CPU temperature would skyrocket above 100°C within seconds of applying a heavy load. After backing down a bit on the voltage, to 1.37 V, we reached 4.125 GHz all-core perfectly stable. Now, that frequency is of course lower than the chip's maximum boost frequency of 4.2 GHz. As our performance numbers show, the manual overclock can only shine in specific applications that fully load all cores, and even there, the differences are small. (emphasis added)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
While I generally agree with this sentiment, AMD shouldn't be distributing CPUs with stock coolers that can't keep the CPU cool at stock settings - which makes it seem like this is a bug rather than "just how the CPU runs." It's also not in line with what most professional reviewers saw.
But... don't most "professional" reviewers, use those open-air test-bench rigs? Rather than stuff things into a case with no top vent, and in a cubby?

TPU said:

Overclocking the Ryzen 5 3600 was mostly held back by temperatures. When using our typical OC voltage of 1.4 V, the CPU temperature would skyrocket above 100°C within seconds of applying a heavy load. After backing down a bit on the voltage, to 1.37 V, we reached 4.125 GHz all-core perfectly stable. Now, that frequency is of course lower than the chip's maximum boost frequency of 4.2 GHz. As our performance numbers show, the manual overclock can only shine in specific applications that fully load all cores, and even there, the differences are small. (emphasis added)

I can't even do 4.000Ghz @ 1.350V. It boots, it runs... until it hits 117C, then it reboots. Don't know if it needs more vcore, or if temps are too high, or what. It's not happy with an all-core manual OC, that's for sure.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
But... don't most "professional" reviewers, use those open-air test-bench rigs? Rather than stuff things into a case with no top vent, and in a cubby?

You're running your PC in a hotbox and expecting it to cool properly? :rolleyes:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You're running your PC in a hotbox and expecting it to cool properly? :rolleyes:
Err, maybe. It's never been an issue before, well, except once, when I took my Skylake G4400 @ 4.x Ghz, and put BOTH of my HIS 7950 (those used two PCI-E power cables... each), into ONE PC, and tried to run it in the cubby. It would run if I pulled it out of the cubby, though really warm.

I pulled it out of the cubby, only running 12 threads of PrimeGrid on the CPU, manual OC of 4000Mhz @ 1.365V, and initially, in the cubby, it skyrocketed to 105C right off. Pulled the PC out of the cubby (sides off, btw), and now it's cooled off to 98C.

What I found interesting to note was, the heatsink (Gammaxx 400) wasn't hot. Maybe, just very mildly warm. I've felt my CoolerMaster TX2 heatpipe heatsinks on my Core2/Core2Quad rigs, after running DC on an overclocked, 100W+ Core2-era CPU, and it felt... pretty darn warm.

This one, does not. Which makes me wonder, did I get a bad TIM application under the heatspreader? (I don't know for a fact, but it wouldn't surprise me if maybe 3600 was TIM, and higher CPUs were solder.)

Or perhaps, my sensors are indeed borked.

My K-A-W gives around ~450W power at the wall, with 12 threads doing PrimeGrid, and 2x RX 570 cards "mining".

Edit: Is there a software out there that works with 3rd-Gen Ryzen, and will give my Tctrl, or distance to thermal throttling / PROCHOT? That might be illuminating.

So I found this, and downloaded HWInfo:

1563499299415.png

Edit: The ends of the heatpipes feel a little bit warm, the fins don't, but I guess that they wouldn't.

It's a little disappointed, to find out that HWInfo agrees with HWMonitor and Ryzen Master. I thought for sure, possibly, it would indicate that the temp sensors are borked, but I guess not? So, that means, I have bad TIM/interface contacts between die and heatspreader? Are delidding kits going to be a thing for 3rd-Gen Ryzen? Or should I try to RMA? (I've already overclocked. I don't think that I would feel comfortable doing that. Maybe an upgrade to a higher-end 3rd-Gen in a couple of months, to get something better-binned.)

Last edited:

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Err, maybe. It's never been an issue before, well, except once, when I took my Skylake G4400 @ 4.x Ghz, and put BOTH of my HIS 7950 (those used two PCI-E power cables... each), into ONE PC, and tried to run it in the cubby. It would run if I pulled it out of the cubby, though really warm.

I pulled it out of the cubby, only running 12 threads of PrimeGrid on the CPU, manual OC of 4000Mhz @ 1.365V, and initially, in the cubby, it skyrocketed to 105C right off. Pulled the PC out of the cubby (sides off, btw), and now it's cooled off to 98C.

What I found interesting to note was, the heatsink (Gammaxx 400) wasn't hot. Maybe, just very mildly warm. I've felt my CoolerMaster TX2 heatpipe heatsinks on my Core2/Core2Quad rigs, after running DC on an overclocked, 100W+ Core2-era CPU, and it felt... pretty darn warm.

This one, does not. Which makes me wonder, did I get a bad TIM application under the heatspreader? (I don't know for a fact, but it wouldn't surprise me if maybe 3600 was TIM, and higher CPUs were solder.)

Or perhaps, my sensors are indeed borked.

My K-A-W gives around ~450W power at the wall, with 12 threads doing PrimeGrid, and 2x RX 570 cards "mining".
Larry, anything with the offset chiplet die and your thermal paste application?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Try remounting it. It's the only way you'll know.

When I mounted mine I spread TIM all over the base of my heatsink. I had dang TIM all over my fingers so I just used one to spread it out evenly. Not the best way to do it, but it worked out in the end.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's possible that it could be the TIM, but I previously used the quad-heatpipe stock old-school AMD 125W heatsink, with the fresh factory stock paste application, and was still getting temps like this.

And although I slid the base around a bit while attaching it, the top of the CPU seemed like it had a thin grey coat on it.

I spread a small thin line of paste down the center of all four heatpipes that run through the base. (Direct-touch heatpipe system)

Edit: Note that the 98C shown in HWInfo, with the PC out of the cubby with the sides off, is running a manual 4.000Ghz OC @ 1.365V. Package Power 120W.

Previously, when it was running at 94.5C perenially, it was at 3.7Ghz, fluctuating between 1.19 and 1.24V, and Package Power max of 90W.

So, I do think that this heatsink is running better.

Edit: Just an aside, web browsing with the R5 3600 CPU at a 4.000Ghz @ 1.365V fixed manual OC, is like WOW! Even with a 12-thread PrimeGrid load. It's really amazing stuff.

Last edited:

Chaoticlusts

Jul 25, 2010

3600 is definitely soldered, you can watch it being delidded here

Those really are some bonkers temps though.. 117c o_O Would have thought it would hard shutdown quite a bit lower than that.. I guess there's some leeway for spiking.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Almost done the X370... got it all piped earlier this evening but didn't like how it looked so I redid it lol

My case needs a good air blast but I should be able to fill it back up tomorrow. I wanted to add a secondary tube res but couldn't settle on a spot so I nixed that idea.