AMD RYZEN 2000 Builders Thread

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Razkin

Apr 23, 2018
OK, I just learned something. My old 2700x was probably not the problem, and was probably fine. The new chip did the same thing. Even on a 240 rad watercooling it was 1.35 vcore and 3.9 ghz@75c. So just for fun, I set the bios to1.2 vcore and 4 ghz. 65c and working@100% for an hour. It just never occurred to me that the Taichi motherboard would overvolt ! I will keep playing now that I know the bios is flawed.

At stock many board will overvolt, it seems to top at 1,55V for the short XFR bursts. I have my 2700X under a Kraken X62 at maximum PBO, auto mp and a set 1,45V. It wil run almost anything at 4,3GHz all core en frequently boosts to 4,35GHz in lighter loads(even when it is all core). OCCT runs at 4,3GHz and tops at around 82C, Prime95 small FFT's it shoots straight to 85C and thermal throttles to 4,1~4,2GHz.

The problem is not so much the cooling capacity of the radiator, the coldplate/pump isn't able to quicklt transfer heat away the cpu itself. My rad is still cool(nowhere close to heatsoak) and you can feel that the inlet is warm compared to the exhaust.

I have only let Prime95 and OCCT run for about an hour and a half as I am not comfortable with those temps. I have lowered the max temp limit so that very heavy loads will let the cpu clock down and keep temps around 75C. Games aren't that stressful so they will let the cpu sit pretty at 4,3~4,35GHz even with the lower temp limit.

Shamrock

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
But run something like prime95 and watch it hit 95c and throttle. Unless you have watercooling. Even my NH-D15 it hit 89c at those settings. But now it does 4100 all-core @1.21 vcore and 65c (with AIO cooling)

Yes it does, I may try 1.2v as well. And I have the stock AMD Wraith Prism fan.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I tried doing negative offset with the Asus X470 Pro, but it really did not make much difference when stress testing and using the Wraith Prism. Open case vs closed case made a bigger difference.

If I go manual all core OC, I will try 1.2 +- a few hundreths, that seems to be the happy medium for these chips on all core OC.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I tried doing negative offset with the Asus X470 Pro, but it really did not make much difference when stress testing and using the Wraith Prism. Open case vs closed case made a bigger difference.

If I go manual all core OC, I will try 1.2 +- a few hundreths, that seems to be the happy medium for these chips on all core OC.
If there's a big difference with case open, that usually means you need better airflow. I've had more luck with top/rear as exhaust and front as intake.

Reactions: Space Tyrant

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
OK, I just learned something. My old 2700x was probably not the problem, and was probably fine. The new chip did the same thing. Even on a 240 rad watercooling it was 1.35 vcore and 3.9 ghz@75c. So just for fun, I set the bios to1.2 vcore and 4 ghz. 65c and working@100% for an hour. It just never occurred to me that the Taichi motherboard would overvolt ! I will keep playing now that I know the bios is flawed.
Update: I upped the speed to 4.1 ghz, and it worked fine for hours, but locked up sometime during the night. Now trying 1.231@4.1 Temps went up to 67c. Thats OK by me. We will see if this can go overnight.

Last edited:

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
AIDA64 Cache n Memory results. Need to update the BIOS to 4011, maybe try SOC at 1.1v and memory at 1.45 for 3200.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
So after a bit of tweaking...

KsZlEgv.jpg

PwBQaLi.jpg

(thats reporting as 4200MHz in everything else)

Cinebench of 1915/176 as best runs.

I probably need to dick around with the memory a bit more.

v6mi

Jun 8, 2018
Hi all,

I am thinking to buy a ryzen 7 2700 and I will use it mainly for virtualization.
Any feedback using vmware workstation 14 with this cpu? I will use to virtualize Cisco CSR 1000v VMs(can provide ISO in PM).

Thanks.

May 11, 2008
Hi all,

I am thinking to buy a ryzen 7 2700 and I will use it mainly for virtualization.
Any feedback using vmware workstation 14 with this cpu? I will use to virtualize Cisco CSR 1000v VMs(can provide ISO in PM).

Thanks.

I use vmware workstation player 14 with my ryzen 2600.

Be sure to enable AMD-V virtualization in the bios.
For my asrock AB350m motherboard :
BIOS >>
Cpu configuration : SVM mode >> enabled : AMD-V enabled.
Northbridge configuration : SR-IOV support >> enabled : IOMMU enabled.

The virtual machine runs fast. Although i so far only use it to run older operating systems like windows xp in an isolated environment.

Reactions: v6mi

v6mi

Jun 8, 2018
I use vmware workstation player 14 with my ryzen 2600.

Be sure to enable AMD-V virtualization in the bios.
For my asrock AB350m motherboard :
BIOS >>
Cpu configuration : SVM mode >> enabled : AMD-V enabled.
Northbridge configuration : SR-IOV support >> enabled : IOMMU enabled.

The virtual machine runs fast. Although i so far only use it to run older operating systems like windows xp in an isolated environment.

Thanks for the reply.
Are you available for a quick test installation of a Cisco CSR1000v image on your setup?
(ISO file about 300mb - https://mega.nz/#!F58jWDxD!kS2zEvsI9YLjISWhWmG1iYcBLeqH7LacFPk7XSqUZQQ)
You can use the default linux kernel 3.x x64 template.
Thank you again.

May 11, 2008
Thanks for the reply.
Are you available for a quick test installation of a Cisco CSR1000v image on your setup?
(ISO file about 300mb - https://mega.nz/#!F58jWDxD!kS2zEvsI9YLjISWhWmG1iYcBLeqH7LacFPk7XSqUZQQ)
You can use the default linux kernel 3.x x64 template.
Thank you again.

Sorry, i am not really comfortable with downloading from sites unknown to me.
I tried to get the iso from the cisco site directly but their user account nonsense is too much of a hassle.
I created an account but they want too much personal information before they allow downloading even a 30 day version.

Maybe someone else local in the US can give it a try who already has an cisco account ?

v6mi

Jun 8, 2018
Sorry, i am not really comfortable with downloading from sites unknown to me.
I tried to get the iso from the cisco site directly but their user account nonsense is too much of a hassle.
I created an account but they want too much personal information before they allow downloading even a 30 day version.

Maybe someone else local in the US can give it a try who already has an cisco account ?

That's why I uploaded it for you on Mega... I understand you don't trust me but if you want you can check the SHA512 on Cisco website (https://software.cisco.com/download/home/284364978/type/282046477/release/3.13.4S).
Anyhow, I appreciate your time in answering me but I am not going to force you or anyone else :)

May 11, 2008

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I don't mind trying this on the 2700X, I have a spare SSD lying around. Are there instructions handy for this? I have not used Cisco ISO's for anything.

BUT, I am not sure when I would get to do it. Maybe tomorrow.

Reactions: v6mi

v6mi

Jun 8, 2018
I don't mind trying this on the 2700X, I have a spare SSD lying around. Are there instructions handy for this? I have not used Cisco ISO's for anything.

BUT, I am not sure when I would get to do it. Maybe tomorrow.

Can't open my vmware workstation right now but the steps should be the following:

- create new virtual machine
- select custom (advanced)
- select "installer disc image file" and select the cisco csr1000v iso file
- guest operating system, select Linux - Version Kernel 3.x 64bit
- select a folder where to save the VM
- Processor configuration - Number of processors "2" and Number of cores per processor "2" it is enough as a test.
- Memory for Virtual Machine at least 3GB, 4GB is better.
- Network Type NAT is fine for a quick test
- Disk Type IDE (Recommended)
- Select "Create new virtual disk" -> Maximum disk size 8GB -> Store virtual disk as single file

then Finish.

At this point you should be able to start the VM... the VM will boot and you will see some POST messages like "SHA-1 hash
calculated and expected" etc..
Usually it takes up to 5 minutes and if you see the "GRUB Loading stage press any key to continue" just ignore it.
The router is ready when you will see "Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]

If it works, I am defintely going to buy a ryzen 2700 ;)
Thank you.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
My buddy really wants build a new Ryzen system this august, but is really impatient. I want him to go for 2000 series without any hassle of flashing an old BIOS. He will not overclock, so the 2000 series is far more appealing.

Should he pony up more for an X470 now or try to make him wait for B450 boards? He loves the MSI B350 Tomahawk for some reason and is set on one. But the new B450 Tomahawk is out soon!

I also do wonder if a B350 and cheap 1700 may be better for him, but idk. I do know single thread performance is more important to him so that is why 2000 series looks good. He has a $1300 budget which is plenty of room for an X470 board and a 2600X with 3200 CL14 DDR4.

May 11, 2008
My buddy really wants build a new Ryzen system this august, but is really impatient. I want him to go for 2000 series without any hassle of flashing an old BIOS. He will not overclock, so the 2000 series is far more appealing.

Should he pony up more for an X470 now or try to make him wait for B450 boards? He loves the MSI B350 Tomahawk for some reason and is set on one. But the new B450 Tomahawk is out soon!

I also do wonder if a B350 and cheap 1700 may be better for him, but idk. I do know single thread performance is more important to him so that is why 2000 series looks good. He has a $1300 budget which is plenty of room for an X470 board and a 2600X with 3200 CL14 DDR4.

I would wait a bit for the b450 at least. If i am correct, the boards should be designed to handle higher vrm power (Think EDC (electrical design current), ryzen master. 2000 series clock higher but can consume more as well). Higher memory frequencies and you get the new precision boost features as well. And no hassle updating the bios to get the processor to run at least.

edit:
I do not overclock the cpu, but it is fun to see how the cpu and the motherboard respond on loads with ryzen master.
I get 100%EDC with prime 95 and 12 threads at 100% full load. All boost clock is then between 3600MHz and 3650MHz.

Ryzen master explanations :

• Package Power Tracking (“PPT”): The PPT% indicates the distance to maximum power that can be delivered to the socket by the motherboard across various voltage rails. 100% indicates maximum capacity.
  • Thermal Design Current (“TDC”): The TDC% indicates the distance to maximum current that can be delivered by the motherboard voltage regulators when they have been heated to a steady state through sustained operation. 100% indicates maximum capacity.
  • Electrical Design Current (“EDC”): The EDC% indicates distance to maximum current that can be delivered by the motherboard voltage regulators in a peak/transient condition. 100% indicates maximum capacity.
  • Fastest Core Detection: The stars represent the fastest core(s) within each CCX, while the gold star indicates the fastest silicon in the entire device. The circles represent the second fastest cores within the CCXes. This can be extremely useful for breaking single-core clock speed records.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZGR

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004

Not sure I'd be too keen on running an 8-core on a B350. Definitely not for overclocking. MSI had a few B450 motherboards at Computex, but I don't remember if a release date was mentioned. One good thing that I hope all the vendors adopt was the addition of a BIOS flashback feature on all their motherboards - you can flash a new BIOS without needing CPU.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
Can't open my vmware workstation right now but the steps should be the following:

- create new virtual machine
- select custom (advanced)
- select "installer disc image file" and select the cisco csr1000v iso file
- guest operating system, select Linux - Version Kernel 3.x 64bit
- select a folder where to save the VM
- Processor configuration - Number of processors "2" and Number of cores per processor "2" it is enough as a test.
- Memory for Virtual Machine at least 3GB, 4GB is better.
- Network Type NAT is fine for a quick test
- Disk Type IDE (Recommended)
- Select "Create new virtual disk" -> Maximum disk size 8GB -> Store virtual disk as single file

then Finish.

At this point you should be able to start the VM... the VM will boot and you will see some POST messages like "SHA-1 hash
calculated and expected" etc..
Usually it takes up to 5 minutes and if you see the "GRUB Loading stage press any key to continue" just ignore it.
The router is ready when you will see "Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]

If it works, I am defintely going to buy a ryzen 2700 ;)
Thank you.

Setup an Ubuntu 18.04 install with VirtualBox 5.2.10.

The Cisco ISO works?! Not sure what to do after it's installed, lol. :astonished:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
So I put my 2700x in a new case today, and with all the fans and the better AIO fit I am now at 4.2 ghz 1.3 vcore testing. For 3 hours@100%load so far. 66c temps.

And Virtual Larry talked me into another 2700x, and I just ordered 4266 memory for it.