AMD R9 Fury X Coil Whine/Buzzing noise..

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Okay, Sapphire wanted me to wait around 3 weeks for a replacement unit, and the current fury x I have gives me a headache after about an hour.

So the Sapphire is going back. I have just ordered a Gigabyte Fury X from Caseking, as they had at least one in stock this morning. Hoping to get a working unit, but who knows, at least I won't have to deal with Sapphires customer care any more, as to be honest, it took a week just to find out it was going to take another 3 week.

Thank you for the feedback. I'll make a note to avoid Sapphire in the future. I believe I've had three of their cards in the past. Customer service is just as important as product quality. After the sale support shows me that you want me to be a customer in the future. It's sad how many businesses don't get this.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
Does it sound like a flashbang going off?(like in call of duty, counterstrike, eCT)
Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-G8_jwl9pU

If so then not normal

Im pretty sure that's installed incorrectly.

If is anything like the 295X2 the radiator hoses should be at the bottom to ensure constant water supply to the pump.

Like this.

20141102_101315.jpg~original

darkserith

Jun 24, 2015
Im pretty sure that's installed incorrectly.

If is anything like the 295X2 the radiator hoses should be at the bottom to ensure constant water supply to the pump.

Like this.

20141102_101315.jpg~original

heh, probably. That wasn't my system/video. But anyways, i highly doubt that the config of the radiator would cause the flashbang sound

Th0rHere

Jul 3, 2015
Thank you for the feedback. I'll make a note to avoid Sapphire in the future. I believe I've had three of their cards in the past. Customer service is just as important as product quality. After the sale support shows me that you want me to be a customer in the future. It's sad how many businesses don't get this.

Sapphire did get back to me and said they would try and see if they could arrange one for next week, but I had already ordered the new card.

While Sapphires customer service sucks and I would recommend people avoid them in the future. The real problem is AMD and their complete lack of control over this product. Furthermore, they completely lied to everyone when it launched and said it was only pre-productions units that had the issue, and retail units were fine, only to later completely say the opposite and tell everyone they would help and again do nothing. A complete kick in the face from a company that relies on loyalty.

RaulF

Jan 18, 2008
heh, probably. That wasn't my system/video. But anyways, i highly doubt that the config of the radiator would cause the flashbang sound

No but it might be keeping the pump from having constant water flow.

Since those units are not full of coolant all the way, there is some air and space in them.

darkserith

Jun 24, 2015
Not looking good at all.
This in, from http://www.babeltechreviews.com/the-sapphire-fury-x-vs-the-evga-gtx-980-ti-sc-showdown-2/view-all/ :

The Fury X Pump

We removed nine screws and opened up our Fury X to see what version of the pump we got since we were getting excessive pump noise. Evidently, there are three pump versions – (1) the version the reviewers got with the Cooler Master sticker, (2) another pump version with an embossed Cooler Master logo, and (3) this one with the plainly embossed Cooler Master logo. Since AMD has given no way to differentiate the “fixed” pumps from the noisy ones without opening them up, it is a matter of pure luck as to which one you will get from retail right now. If you are “sensitive” as we are, the pump noise can be intolerable.

Pump_Fury_X.jpg

The Fury X Pump Noise

Unfortunately, some of the reviewers reported that some of the review units had issues with pump noise with the Fury X. AMD was quick to reassure customers that only the review units were affected, but this turned out to be untrue. Yesterday, after hearing complaints from customers who bought Fury X, often posting videos on Youtube as proof, AMD admitted that there were what they called, isolated issues with “sensitive” customers. AMD is giving their customers no clue which cards are noisy or not until we buy them and get them home. AMD recently said that an RMA should be OK for the noise issue with their partners.

This reviewer is a “sensitive” customer who has extraordinary hearing that extends into the very high frequency range, and this particular Fury X pump puts out unwanted frequencies in the ultra high (over 20KHz) range which leads to headaches, irritation, and a left over tinnitus-like ringing in the ears that can last for hours after an extended gaming or benching session.

Even the HyperX Cloud closed headset which works so well to block reference 290X CrossFire noise, is ineffective for these ultrasounds. We have a difficult time recommending Fury X until the defective pumps are out of circulation as no customer has any way of knowing which version is noisy or not, or if they are sensitive to it or not. Sapphire’s RMA procedure farms out their RMAs and may charge their customer a RMA fee in addition to paying for sending the card back.

Ideally a customer who is sensitive to the Fury X pump noise should RMA with the seller. Hopefully the noisy pumps will be gone from stock within the usual 30 day return window. We will contact Newegg ourselves for a RMA and update you on BTR forum. In the meantime, we purchased a special set of ear protection from Amazon.com for $18 that attenuates nearly 30db of ultrasonics and should provide protection for our precious hearing while benching Fury X.

I guess just because you get the pump without the sticker does not mean it is whine free. oh FFS AMD!

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Not looking good at all.

The bolded part that you showed is laughable, I won't get into ultrasonic frequency range, and the prolonged effects, but, suffice it to say that, that reviewer is spreading bunk on the effects of short term exposure to ultrasonic sound.

If you are playing a game, and you don't have an open bench, you will not hear the pump, which brings us to idle noise.
In a really quiet room, sure, you could possibly hear it, and yeah, that can get annoying.
However, that is a different kind of annoying than having coil whine while playing a game.

If I was you, I guess I would just tell newegg to ship you one of those air coolers instead, and credit you the rest, I doubt you will be happy with anything else.

Hopefully, you won't ever have to experience coil whine while playing a game!

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Not looking good at all.
This in, from http://www.babeltechreviews.com/the-sapphire-fury-x-vs-the-evga-gtx-980-ti-sc-showdown-2/view-all/ :

Pump_Fury_X.jpg

I guess just because you get the pump without the sticker does not mean it is whine free. oh FFS AMD!

I think if you want to be taken seriously around here, never link to that site. The person who runs it is well known by those who have been around anandtech for a while and he and many who support him have been banned from here for good reason. Suffice it to say, I'm extremely skeptical of his claims and pcper actually characterized the sound the bad pumps make (note that humans are considered to be most sensitive to sounds between 2 KHz to 5 KHz):

spec%20-%20furyx%20retail_0.png

Last edited:

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
BTW, here is the 980 Ti, so if he has issues with the over 20 KHz sound levels of the Fury X, he should have the same issues with the 980 Ti.

spec%20-%20980ti%20load_0.png

Edit:

You can also run this test to compare the sound of Fury X (note, you probably don't want your sound at full blast when doing the test and your sound card or speakers/headphone may not actually produce the highest frequencies).

http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencycheckhigh.php
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKoNa1OXnQA

Clearly, the sound the Fury X makes is no where near what he is claiming. If his unit actually makes that sound, something is very very wrong, more than any of the other fury cards tested/recorded.

Last edited:

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I think if you want to be taken seriously around here, never link to that site. The person who runs it is well known by those who have been around anandtech for a while and he and many who support him have been banned from here for good reason. Suffice it to say, I'm extremely skeptical of his claims and pcper actually characterized the sound the bad pumps make (note that humans are considered to be most sensitive to sounds between 2 KHz to 5 KHz):

spec%20-%20furyx%20retail_0.png

What were they banned for? Please, enlighten us. AFAIK apoppin left here voluntarily and I don't blame him.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
Apoppin may have, it's been a while, but I know others were banned.

Do you really have nothing better to do? You're going around slandering people without even naming who they are or what they have done. I just debunked your theory about apoppin. He's probably the best GPU reviewer out there. He tests the most games of any site. I have nothing bad to say about the guy, he is friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. You on the other hand are proving your worthlessness to the community here with your baseless accusations and misinformation.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Do you really have nothing better to do? You're going around slandering people without even naming who they are or what they have done.

LoL, you make no sense.

I just debunked your theory about apoppin. He's probably the best GPU reviewer out there. He tests the most games of any site. I have nothing bad to say about the guy, he is friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. You on the other hand are proving your worthlessness to the community here with your baseless accusations and misinformation.
Nice post, if you feel so strongly, why not report my post? Or is it about making a big scene? I was vague in my original post for a reason, it's a can of worms I had no desire to open but the reputation towards the end is remembered well by those who have been around long enough. Feel free to respond however you want, that's all I'll say on the matter, if people really want to know, they can search the forums for themselves.

With that said, any comments on the data and content of the posts rebutting the original noise assertion? If you'll notice, that is by far the bulk of my posts.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
LoL, you make no sense.

Nice post, if you feel so strongly, why not report my post? Or is it about making a big scene? I was vague in my original post for a reason, it's a can of worms I had no desire to open but the reputation towards the end is remembered well by those who have been around long enough. Feel free to respond however you want, that's all I'll say on the matter, if people really want to know, they can search the forums for themselves.

With that said, any comments on the data and content of the posts rebutting the original noise assertion? If you'll notice, that is by far the bulk of my posts.
I make no sense? You're the one lying and slandering people.

I have known apoppin for a very long time and the last thing he would do is make something up or exaggerate about it. There have been tons of reports from reputable sources saying that the pump for the Fury X is making some awful noises. I trust those sources a lot more than I trust you. Do you have a Fury X? I don't see the issue with apoppin pointing out the pump noise for his card. Like I said, pretty much all of the review sites noticed it, it's a widespread problem. The pump is clearly defective. AMD sent defective cards out to retail and to the reviewers. They clearly rushed the launch or else they have zero quality control.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
You're not at all addressing the content of the posts. . .

hint: it's not that the pumps are noisy because of a manufacturing defect, that's well established.

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
You're not at all addressing the content of the posts. . .

hint: it's not that the pumps are noisy because of a manufacturing defect, that's well established.
I'm done even communicating with you. You are clearly trying to get on my nerves. Enjoy the forum here that you are helping to ruin.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008

What? Is this a threat or are you warning him?

People get banned from here with good reason for supporting his site?

It seems you are trying to bully or scare, whatever it is, what a tactic.
Its just one mans review. You act like he is performing witchcraft or something. You dont like it, that is fine. But i think the rest of your statements are taking it way to far.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
What? Is this a threat or are you warning him?

People get banned from here with good reason for supporting his site?

It seems you are trying to bully or scare, whatever it is, what a tactic.
Its just one mans review. You act like he is performing witchcraft or something. You dont like it, that is fine. But i think the rest of your statements are taking it way to far.

Seriously, a threat? I think you're reading far too into my post and injecting things I never said or even intimated by selective emphasizing. Let me repeat:

"Suffice it to say, I'm extremely skeptical of his claims and pcper actually characterized the sound the bad pumps make"

Followed by actual test data and sound examples. If you have anything to add to that discussion, I'll gladly discuss it, otherwise it's already been played out in earlier posts.

ocre

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2008
I like data, the more the merrier. Ultimately, the more the better.

There was a time we were banning books and condemning those who sold them.

The more data, the more information, the better. Never just look at one site. The more sites, the better. Some people just pick one result they like the best, but a true and clear view can only be achieved by looking at many. This way it all averages out. Individual identities and bias cancel out.

I love data and that's what I tune into most. The site linked to has enormous amounts of data in his charts. Games you don't see anywhere else.
It's just one of the many sites out there. One with boat loads of data

darkserith

Jun 24, 2015
Hi everyone,

Newegg got my 2nd Fury X today, and actually approved it for replacement on the same day (very fast service... they were going to send me a THIRD R9 Fury X!). They also said the replacement R9 Fury X would be shipping tomorrow (shocking, since again, the website says OUT OF STOCK..in fact it's in stock no where!!). But it would be shipping via UPS Ground from Indianapolis, IN (I always get my newegg products shipped from their California warehouse..they must be running out of R9 Fury X's at their usual CA warehouse), and I am in california, and I would not get the product until Monday, next week. They wouldn't upgrade the shipping either. Too long for me..especially after having gone what i've gone through in terms of time wasted doing this RMA lotto crap.

I'm done playing the cooler master pump lottery.

So, after a lengthy chat with Newegg online CS, I was able to get approved for store credit (they would absolutely NOT give me a refund, since their video cards are REPLACEMENT ONLY policy). They also wouldn't send me a R9 Fury (when it launches tomorrow) either and credit me the difference. Store credit only.

They actually gave me a store credit gift card 10 minutes after my online chat ended (even though they said it could take up to a week, again, GOOD JOB Newegg!).

So now I will be using my gift card to buy a R9 Fury when it launches tomorrow instead. Particularly the Sapphire version..that one had some sweet dB levels on anandtech's review.

cheers everyone...

Last edited: