AMD R9 Fury X Coil Whine/Buzzing noise..

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
5-10% less perf than a Fury X would make it a much better buy.

Except there's no way I am buying a foot long video card. :D

sam_816

Aug 9, 2014
5-10% less perf than a Fury X would make it a much better buy.

Except there's no way I am buying a foot long video card. :D

You can always buy ekblock n replace the air cooler with it. The PCB is just 7.5" long I think.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Woof, that card is a beast! haha. Makes my lightning look tiny. Grats on finally getting something satisfying.

Newegg's return policy on GPUs makes me weary. Amazon would have broken their back to satisfy me, Newegg seems like "well, this one time because we're on card #3 already."

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
I've got an Asus Fury X on the way. hoping for a good one this time after my launch day sapphire was a whiner.

Last edited:

sam_816

Aug 9, 2014
And the two together cost how much vs a Fury X? :p

Almost same sans the whining noise, no need to find vacant 120mm slot(since u don't want 12inch card I am assuming you have smaller case), your card will become single slot card, part of the same grand scheme(water loop), no need for separate controls for clc pump n fan, you can overclock to greater extent(assuming voltage control will be unlocked in the future) and won't be a 12 inch card.. ;)

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I have many different sized cases, I just think foot long cards are ridiculous.

Then again, I think water cooling is ridiculous. :D

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
And my Asus Fury X is a whining pig as well!. Thought I'd have a good shot at a revised pump after waiting 3 weeks since my last one.....On to #3 i guess........

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
At this rate, buyers will only see a trollface on the pump.

Wasn't it concluded the sticker/engrave didn't matter?

Thats what AMD apparently told techreport I believe. Seems hard to believe that its not the way to tell though......

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
Thats what AMD apparently told techreport I believe. Seems hard to believe that its not the way to tell though......

AMD needs to send some muscle down to Cooler Master and start snapping some legs.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
And my Asus Fury X is a whining pig as well!. Thought I'd have a good shot at a revised pump after waiting 3 weeks since my last one.....On to #3 i guess........
Well, that blows chunks.

No idea what is up with QC, you would have thought that the bad batch would have been eaten by now, but it seems there are more than one bad batches.

And to think, the cooler was supposed to be the easiest thing on the card to make.
AMD must be furious at their long time pals Coolermaster.

sam_816

Aug 9, 2014
n0x1ous that sux mate. How about opening the side plate(or face plate if u want to call it that) and put some dampening material and see I it works?

Bestbuy is selling xfx version for 699+taxes. I would love get my hands on the list of buyers and send flowers to them. LOL

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
n0x1ous that sux mate. How about opening the side plate(or face plate if u want to call it that) and put some dampening material and see I it works?

Bestbuy is selling xfx version for 699+taxes. I would love get my hands on the list of buyers and send flowers to them. LOL

Not interested in trying to fix AMD's mistakes. I will continue to return them until I get a good one.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Hunt down 10% off movers coupon and Bestbuy price is competetive, Returnable for full refund unlike others. Tempted but just bought a 4k TV recently. It's their 1st batch so who knows on the pump noise.

KingFatty

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2010
Silver lining: people who return their cards to get quiet replacements are hopefully helping to build stock reserves of refurb cards for the rest of us to snap up in a few months?

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Silver lining: people who return their cards to get quiet replacements are hopefully helping to build stock reserves of refurb cards for the rest of us to snap up in a few months?

They could also spawn a full water block sku as well. Would be better option at least.

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Sounds like I'm going to get store credit as the card is not in stock obviously. Not sure what to do at this point if I should try and grab another one or wait for a more extended period of time....

Anyone that has one with a new/revised pump please chime in and let us know where it was bought and which AIB please.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
If they give you store credit, you could do what darkserith did and get the air cooled version...or wait for the Nano, (since the chips are supposedly cherry-picked, if you then get your own AIO solution, you might very well have a faster card than the Fury X)

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
If they give you store credit, you could do what darkserith did and get the air cooled version...or wait for the Nano, (since the chips are supposedly cherry-picked, if you then get your own AIO solution, you might very well have a faster card than the Fury X)

Nope not interested in the footlong behemoths. the form factor and look of the X are part of the appeal to me. Plus I frequently do multigpu where AIO and/or blowers are desirable.

I will keep plugging on the Fury X