Discussion AMD Cezanne/Zen 3 APU Speculation and Discussion

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dr1337

May 25, 2020
Fresh leak out today, not much is known but at least 8cu's is confirmed. Probably an engineering sample, core count is unknown and clocks may not be final.

This is very interesting to me because cezanne is seemingly 8cu only, and it seems unlikely to me that AMD could squeeze any more performance out of vega. A cpu only upgrade of renoir may be lackluster compared to tigerlake's quite large GPU.

What do you guys think? Will zen 3 be a large enough improvement in APU form? Will it have full cache? Are there more than 8cus? Has AMD truly evolved vega yet again or is it more like rdna?

Gideon

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
Huawei Matebook 13 and 14, just announced, are also ultrabook-class with H series:

kEyLrjK.jpg

xCyQoR0.jpg

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I understood it to be more of a "positioning to the realities of the market" thing.

Agreed, and as subsequent posts have shown, AMD has placed no embargo or restriction on the -H Renoir APUs requiring that they only be included with a dGPU. The market has found a niche for these products without dGPUs.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
The 4800H has lower CUs and lower igp freq than the 4800U, when the dGPU was requiered that did not matter, now it is just weird.

And now i really dont undertand why they created diferent H configurations than the desktop ones, as 4/8 V6 and 6/12 V7 does not exist on mobile.

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
I suspect that they chose to do lower iGPU counts on comparable H series packages because it was expected that the H series chips would focus on CPU performance, using the iGPU only in low power modes while on battery. The power draw difference, while tiny, would still be important there. On desktop, it was expected that the iGPU would be more heavily used, and power budgets were more relaxed, meaning that the extra CU would be more useful and less detrimental there. However, no 8CU 4/8 or 6/12 desktop APUs for binning reasons.

For any "ultrabook" that's using an H series processor with no dGPU, its likely not targeted at a user that requires high end 3D performance. Accepting that premise, it makes perfect sense why they are the way that they are. And, if you require maximum iGPU performance in one of those packages, the 4900H still includes all 8 CUs. However, I think that I would prefer one with a 4800U in TDP UP mode instead, with the option to change the TDP in Bios or software.

I do hope that, like there were follow on releases of special models of Picasso, like the 3580u and the 3780u, that there can eventually be a 4750U or 4650U that has all 8 CUs enabled at maximum frequency. I'd like to think that a 4650U with 8CUs linked with a proper LPDDR4X RAM setup should provide for an excellent ultrabook for the road warrior/casual gamer out there.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
Fresh leak on a 5700u APU. Definitely not finished but its the first benchmark of any new APU that we've seen. So far as I can tell nobody knows if this is cezanne or lucienne

Lucienne according to VCZ/APISAK. Specifically for google.
Also the tweet from AMD about the Ryzen 3000 C series powered designs is collaboration with Google.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Fresh leak on a 5700u APU. Definitely not finished but its the first benchmark of any new APU that we've seen. So far as I can tell nobody knows if this is cezanne or lucienne

Whoa. Have we even seen that kind of data on Vermeer yet? I don't remember seeing any. Instead someone leaks Lucienne?

Kryohi

Nov 12, 2019
Lucienne according to VCZ/APISAK. Specifically for google.
Also the tweet from AMD about the Ryzen 3000 C series powered designs is collaboration with Google.

That would be interesting, and it makes more sense for amd to do market segmentation like this than to disable SMT imho.
It wonder if Cezanne could be on 7nm EUV with limited capacity, then having Lucienne on 7nm in the same lineup would be a necessary move.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It wonder if Cezanne could be on 7nm EUV with limited capacity, then having Lucienne on 7nm in the same lineup would be a necessary move.

The leaks I saw indicated that while Milan and Vermeer are on N7+, Cezanne (and I guess Lucienne) aren't. Possibly N7P for those.