AMD AM4 CPU, APU And Motherboard Spotted On Zauba –Spring 2016 Launch Imminent

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zor Prime

Nov 7, 1999
Why not just buy a Haswell/Haswell-E or a Skylake today and get tomorrow's (best case) performance today?

Because my Phenom II X6 rig still plays all demanding titles at 60FPS in 1080p ... ;)

Also, while I do buy products of Intel I always prefer AMD wherever possible.

Mar 10, 2006
Because my Phenom II X6 rig still plays all demanding titles at 60FPS in 1080p ... ;)

Obviously if you have no need to upgrade today, then my comments don't apply -- never buy things you don't want/need!

But for people who do need to upgrade, why put yourself through the torture of hanging on to whatever inadequate system you have today for a full year?

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Because they may be fed up with Quads and want to upgrade to a 6 or 8 core and not pay an Intel premium for the CPU and the 2011-v3 motherboard.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Yes, because wccftech, compared to a MSI rep is so trustworthy. Wccftech is a trash site. Never been anything else.

Again, MSI reps don't speak for other motherboard companies. And did you even read the linked article? Or are you just saying "wccftech = wrong" because wccftech shows up in the url?

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Again, MSI reps don't speak for other motherboard companies. And did you even read the linked article? Or are you just saying "wccftech = wrong" because wccftech shows up in the url?

I am quite able to follow the source. And it ends where it always does.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
Yes, because wccftech, compared to a MSI rep is so trustworthy. Wccftech is a trash site. Never been anything else.
Because they cited simple to find facts and put it in a more complete package?

They also have different authors. Khalid, who studies medicine and is also just an enthusiast as most of us, so far has shown higher morale and communication standards than many posters in this forum.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
If Zen is going to be so great, especially for enthusiasts, then you would expect companies like MSI which are trying to compete in the market for gaming boards (since this is a fairly lucrative niche within a sickly PC market) to be on top of this.
Are they actively abandoning Zen? The previous comment was about AM4 board availability in spring for BR.

IC: With AMD launching Zen in 2016 and new CPUs with new memory, have you been working with them on the motherboard side yet?

TH: Not yet, we think it might be later in 2016 so we will start discussing motherboards in early 2016. It is actually up to AMD, but I think at this moment they are not complete with final details for the motherboards yet. But we actually also look forward to that, because we believe the new generation of products will enhance performance with the new architecture and new features. So for sure we have to work closely with AMD to make sure the design is good. We know some details, but not fine detail.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Because they cited simple to find facts and put it in a more complete package?

They also have different authors. Khalid, who studies medicine and is also just an enthusiast as most of us, so far has shown higher morale and communication standards than many posters in this forum.

The same guy that managed to make 2 "price cut" articles? He makes the exact same clickbait articles as the rest of the crew.

Dont glorify the site just because they write what you dream to hear. That's how the ads revenue keep flowing in.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
The same guy that managed to make 2 "price cut" articles? He makes the exact same clickbait articles as the rest of the crew.

Dont glorify the site just because they write what you dream to hear. That's how the ads revenue keep flowing in.
OK, I have to admit, that that specific site sits in the same free market influenced sphere, and thus its authors behave accordingly.

I'm happy to be out of that loop.

Aug 11, 2008
Because they may be fed up with Quads and want to upgrade to a 6 or 8 core and not pay an Intel premium for the CPU and the 2011-v3 motherboard.

And obviously, if Zen manages to live up to even part of the hype, AMD is going to give better performance for less money, because they love us so much, right?

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
And obviously, if Zen manages to live up to even part of the hype, AMD is going to give better performance for less money, because they love us so much, right?

No, because selling a 120mm2 die at $300 will get them more than double the margins they have now and help them regain market share on top of that as a bonus.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006

That MSI rep you keep speaking of is a Vice President.

Considering that both HP and Lenovo use MSI boards, I would expect MSI to be out front in board development.

And as a final point, wccftech = wrong is true. Unless something has changed recently and Pakistan is now the center of the technology world.

Dresdenboy

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2003
citavia.blog.de
And as a final point, wccftech = wrong is true. Unless something has changed recently and Pakistan is now the center of the technology world.
That doesn't change the fact, that the Bristol Ridge ES and AM4 boards popped up in multiple databases (not just Zauba). The mentioned site brought the article after the samples have been reported in several forums.

MiddleOfTheRoad

Golden Member
Aug 6, 2014
That doesn't change the fact, that the Bristol Ridge ES and AM4 boards popped up in multiple databases (not just Zauba). The mentioned site brought the article after the samples have been reported in several forums.

I don't even understand why everyone is shocked that AMD is releasing a new chip in March. If you look at their previous release schedule, we are due for a new one.... Bristol Ridge is really just a refresh of their existing APU @ 28nm with a different memory controller. It really shouldn't have taken much effort to develop. They have been working on the AM4 chipset for a while, though.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
If they are to release in march, and not even MSI is currently working on boards. And saying directly that AMD is not finished with the specs yet for AM4. Then the rest shouldn't be so hard to gasp. Summer release for Bristol Ridge and AM4 for example or late spring? Sure thing. But march just doesn't add up.

Last edited:

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008

that depends entirely on what you define as "demanding"

A phenom II x6 CPU even overclocked to the max can't hold 60 fps in Fallout 4, Witcher 3, GTA V, and a lot of other recent AAA releases at Ultra 1080p