News AMD 1Q23 Earnings

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
a lot of that was due to ddr4. buying into am5 is good due to lower prices and ddr5 has bowed down in pricing across the range whcih benefits intel users more but amd users buying into 5600-6200 have benefitted.
Yeah I've upgraded last March. The difference between going a 7700x and a 5800x3d was like £120.

yuri69

Jul 16, 2013
AMD has money to pour on OEMs now and more time has passed.
They are designing way more chips/platforms they used to - the development got pretty costly.

EPYC used to be just a single SKU - now we have Genoa, Genoa-X, Bergamo, Sienna at 2 platforms. The number of mobile chips/platforms is also set to grow. Will it pay off?

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
They are designing way more chips/platforms they used to - the development got pretty costly.

EPYC used to be just a single SKU - now we have Genoa, Genoa-X, Bergamo, Sienna at 2 platforms. The number of mobile chips/platforms is also set to grow. Will it pay off?
Compare it to the number of skus of the competition.

And Genoa and genoa-x for example is just adding 3d cache chips. And isn't Bergamo and Sienna zen 4 dense?

prtskg

Oct 26, 2015
Intel is a bit over 2x AMD revenue.
6 years ago Intel was what 10x or 20x bigger over AMD?

If Intel gives AMD another few quarters of this "AMD not competing financially with Intel" they might catch up.
You're right but Intel will always have the pricing advantage thanks to their fabs.

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
only hinderance is the io die power use on idle on amd. for tr destined and epic destined chips those dies are better performing than what the masses buy. if you leave your puter on its own without standby or shutting it off it's sipping a good amount of energy where the intel is far lower. if you're using your puter actively all day long the amd wins hands down.
I think AMD are being far to conservative with their APUs. Or rather, desktop would be better served with monoliths up to at least 8 cores as long as those monolithic CPUs/APUs had the option of full cache - maybe take the laptop APUs (with half cache) and add a 3D cache option for desktop. Far better idle power, far more appealing to OEMs.

With the volumes they now have, their "one CCD to rule them all" strategy seems strange. As long as the leave 16+ cores parts using CCDs, then monolithic APUs are a far better fit desktop and DIY - as long as they aren't a regression in performance compared to CCD parts due to having half or less of the cache.

Reactions: Tlh97 and A///

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
With the volumes they now have, their "one CCD to rule them all" strategy seems strange. As long as the leave 16+ cores parts using CCDs, then monolithic APUs are a far better fit desktop and DIY - as long as they aren't a regression in performance compared to CCD parts due to having half or less of the cache.

Raphael probably costs less to make than Phoenix does.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Yeah I've upgraded last March. The difference between going a 7700x and a 5800x3d was like £120.
last march the 7700x didn't exist? ya mean 2 months ago? yes, the pricing was coming down slowly from december until march and then it began making waves. back in september october when intel and amd launched the price difference was maddening. ddr4 is still cheap now but why go ddr4 now unless you're on a severely small budget?

the ddr5 path is still plagued with high board prices. in fact people are paying more for features at the high end that were midgrade features a few generations ago. aibs are run by pricks.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I think AMD are being far to conservative with their APUs. Or rather, desktop would be better served with monoliths up to at least 8 cores as long as those monolithic CPUs/APUs had the option of full cache - maybe take the laptop APUs (with half cache) and add a 3D cache option for desktop. Far better idle power, far more appealing to OEMs.
I agree with some of this. amd's lack of supplying easy to buy apus these past 7 years is it has hurt them. or tr pro behind an oem like lenovo. very dumb dumb decisions. I'm not sure if it was always a supply issue or some other reason but even amd and intel admit to having an oversupply. I'm no economics expect but pricing lower and selling more to take smaller margins might be good if it ups your share in the x86 sphere of influence. the last 2 gens of ryzen 6 cores were terrific, but the 7600x is not a good deal even at $220.

Jul 27, 2020
the very good news is i got a clean bill of health by the pcp today and that's what matters most to me because I don't own tech stocks.
I would get a second opinion before really believing that the first doctor didn't make any mistake in interpreting the various lab results etc.

Also, a lot of times some values may be close to spilling into the danger zone but the doctors will ignore it, preferring to deal with it when the patient comes crying for help in the middle of the night. I think this is their strategy to be "the hero of the hour".

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
only hinderance is the io die power use on idle on amd. for tr destined and epic destined chips those dies are better performing than what the masses buy. if you leave your puter on its own without standby or shutting it off it's sipping a good amount of energy where the intel is far lower. if you're using your puter actively all day long the amd wins hands down.

At stock the difference with Intel is 6W comparing equivalent offerings, that s really not a good amount, isnt it, that s more an urban legend than anything else.

There s no substancial advantage, that s 13.5-16.3W for AMD depending of the chip and 6.4W-11W for Intel, with DDR6000 a 7950X is at 21.2W, check by yourself :

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
At stock the difference with Intel is 6W comparing equivalent offerings, that s really not a good amount, isnt it, that s more an urban legend than anything else.

There s no substancial advantage, that s 13.5-16.3W for AMD depending of the chip and 6.4W-11W for Intel, with DDR6000 a 7950X is at 21.2W, check by yourself :

I don't read german but if those figures were taken from software they wouldn't be accurate. I'm more inclined to believe people who've done hardware level testing and are well known for their reports such as aris the greek.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
I don't read german but if those figures were taken from software they wouldn't be accurate.

If you didnt notice it s correlated by the whole system power measured at the main, you would think that Computerbase are not that stupid to take a single measurement at face value.

There s 8-10W difference at the main, that s the 6-8W i m talking about and the VRM + PSU losses. (graph Leistungsaufnahme/Leerlauf)

Other than this they published an article about AMD s results with a nice curve wich include Intel and Nvidia as well.

Reactions: Tlh97 and IEC

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
If you didnt notice it s correlated by the whole system power measured at the main, you would think that Computerbase are not that stupid to take a single measurement at face value.

There s 8W difference at the main, that s the 6W i m talking about and the VRM + PSU losses. (graph Leistungsaufnahme/Leerlauf)

Other than this they published an article about AMD s results with a nice curve wich include Intel and Nvidia as well.

Their figures are resoundingly low. On alderlake and rpl I have seen <20 watts at idle at 30-45 for Zen 4 mentioned, mobile also goes to intel for the lower idle. why would i take their figures as fact over others?

for desktop form factors as long as chiplets and an io die exist you will see higher idle usage to keep them live. intel will also give up their low power use at idle once they trade to tiles. it'll then be a race to see who can work with m$ to not incur a instruction penalty that awakens a tile or chiplet and raises the idle from idle to in use constantly. this isn't most people's concerns as I pointed out earlier but if you leave your computer turned on all day doing nothing or keep it on indefinitely you're wasting more money down the line with amd even if it's only 15-20 watts extra per hour.

Last edited:

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Their figures are resoundingly low. On alderlake and rpl I have seen <20 watts at idle at 30-45 for Zen 4 mentioned, mobile also goes to intel for the lower idle. why would i take their figures as fact over others?

Because their track record talk for them, they just expose other s reviewers incompetence when it come to power measurements, the total sytem power doesnt lie, they have a big lab with score of measurements apparatuses, compare that to other testers equipement.
for desktop form factors as long as chiplets and an io die exist you will see higher idle usage to keep them live. intel will also give up their low power use at idle once they trade to tiles. it'll then be a race to see who can work with m$ to not incur a instruction penalty that awakens a tile or chiplet and raises the idle from idle to in use constantly. this isn't most people's concerns as I pointed out earlier but if you leave your computer turned on all day doing nothing or keep it on indefinitely you're wasting more money down the line with amd even if it's only 15-20 watts extra per hour.

8-10W at stock measured at the main, with overclocked RAM at 6000 you ll have to add 9W for the 7950X, but that s the same with a RPL, it will consume more with ocked RAM as well.

As to buy such a CPU to keep it idling that s a scenario that you invented to try to score some hazardous point, i would imagine that such beasts are often loaded, otherwise there s no point buying them...

Last edited:

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Because their track record talk for them, they just expose other s reviewers incompetence when it come to power measurements, the total sytem power doesnt lie, they have a big lab with score of measurements apparatuses, compare that to other testers equipement.
This means nothing to me. I can't read German. Computerbase while trustworthy is not showing the same figures I have seen elsewhere over the last eight months. i have no reason to trust them over others. I have seen computerbase be slightly biased years ago with certain hardware, while i won't let that cloud mu judgement I'm certainly not going to give them my time here. this would be like trusting tpu with all testing geomeans when they always have he dumbest numbers.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
This means nothing to me. I can't read German. Computerbase while trustworthy is not showing the same figures I have seen elsewhere over the last eight months. i have no reason to trust them over others. I have seen computerbase be slightly biased years ago with certain hardware, while i won't let that cloud mu judgement I'm certainly not going to give them my time here. this would be like trusting tpu with all testing geomeans when they always have he dumbest numbers.

You cant read german...
Quite an argument of the worst bad faith.
Here for you since you are unaware of the net s possiblities, even the graphs texts are translated :

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
You cant read german...
Quite an argument of the worst bad faith.
Here for you since you are unaware of the net s possiblities, even the graphs texts are translated :

I'm aware of translators. I still don't care because they are the outlier.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
BTW, PS5 is now the best selling console of all time in a Q1 at 6.3 million. Sony was 16% of AMD's revenue last year... interested to see if AMD admits to an even higher % this quarter.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
I'm aware of translators. I still don't care because they are the outlier.

You dont care because the numbers dont suit your bias, period, here another "outlier" :

At the end of the CB test at NBC (using DDR6000) we can see that power nose dive at 20W for a 7950X, the curve is not continued but obviously the thing goes exactly at Computerbase numbers for ocked RAM at 6000 (19W) :

csm_ryzen_9_7950x_cb15loop_170_w_a2ba14bfb4.png

H433x0n

Mar 15, 2023
You dont care because the numbers dont suit your bias, period, here another "outlier" :

At the end of the CB test at NBC (using DDR6000) we can see that power nose dive at 20W for a 7950X, the curve is not continued but obviously the thing goes exactly at Computerbase numbers for ocked RAM at 6000 (19W) :

csm_ryzen_9_7950x_cb15loop_170_w_a2ba14bfb4.png

Here’s some data taken with software and then later on measured at the wall.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
That client computing really shows why AMD need more OEM contracts for laptops and desktops.
The big revenue size discrepancy in client computing between AMD and Intel also shows that even in the current macroeconomy with the PC market contracting there's still plenty room for growth for AMD.

BTW, PS5 is now the best selling console of all time in a Q1 at 6.3 million. Sony was 16% of AMD's revenue last year... interested to see if AMD admits to an even higher % this quarter.
That's very likely the case. PS5 likely is the sole reason why the gaming segment is both flat (despite dGPU crashing etc.) and AMD's biggest segment.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Here’s some data taken with software and then later on measured at the wall.

Just the title is clickbaiting.

FTR Computerbase lab is populated with some Agilent/Rhode and Shwarz analyzers that cost more than your site whole equipement including the room, NBC is not badly equiped as well, that s the more professional sites here, whoever get other numbers just display his incompetence.

Look at a Computerbase reviews and see all the data amassed with tests dones at various powers, curves of all kind and you ll understand the difference between ad sellers and a real pro site.

H433x0n

Mar 15, 2023
Just the title is clickbaiting.

FTR Computerbase lab is populated with some Agilent/Rhode and Shwarz analyzers that cost more than your site whole equipement including the room, NBC is not badly equiped as well, that s the more professional sites here, whoever get other numbers just display his incompetence.

Look at a Computerbase reviews and see all the data amassed with tests dones at various powers, curves of all kind and you ll understand the difference between ad sellers and a real pro site.
Well, YMMV.

Honestly the idle power usage doesn’t really bug me or stop me from buying Ryzen. My issue that you don’t need a chiplet arch at these die sizes. The Ryzen client products I don’t think got a lot of attention. It didn’t even get its own design, it exists to get fed table scraps. Client is a small portion of their revenue so I feel like it gets the B team engineering resources. I could be full of it though, who knows.

I’m annoyed with Intel going away from monolithic as well. I hope the foveros ends up being what it’s hyped up to be.