News AMD 1Q23 Earnings

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Meh, just have to save more. Layoffs are part of life. That is why you should keep a 6-12 month emergency fund, and also do what many of us do and own a side business (or be over employed).
some layoffs have stung the worst because they were coordinated despite getting a glowing eval. I have some extra work a few months of the year but my savings are mostly in lots of property and land. eventually will sell those off and retire in the middle of nowhere or repatriate and live in the country. long term paid sabbaticals have allowed me to almost reverse years of stress over a 3-8 month time. finding a job isn't hard. there's an issue with most companies having an allergic reaction to the thought of hiring new grads or those with less than 5-6 years of experience. it's a very old guard dog industry nowadays.

Reactions: lightmanek

H433x0n

Mar 15, 2023
no offence your hot takes are terrible and use terrible logic.

im 37 with 15 years high end Network and datacentre design ( like proper big things ) , cuz somehow this counts for something.
Also my last major server purchase was intel ice lake.........
I only mentioned my age/job because I think he assumed I was in my early 20’s.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I only mentioned my age/job because I think he assumed I was in my early 20’s.
Not at all. you seem moderately sensible. At some point in your life you consider anyone younger than you young because they have their whole life ahead of them before they become as old and miserable as you. although there are a few non posting anymore members i would see fit to be locked up on a penal colony island and forgotten to the test of time

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
You invalidated what you do by descripting it as "glitching" as if it was a console game. Back in my day, before you kids came along, we called it errata.
'Glitching' is literally the term used, not only by the discoverers of the attack, but also by Intel itself.

It's not embarrassing to admit when one is out of his depth, but I digress.

glitching.png

Reactions: DooKey

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
amd jumped the gun at the worst time possible and abandoned a market sector that intel took from them. i've sene more people discuss -400 systems than anything else from intel and those are great little processors and very affordable too. the 7600 and 7800 were jokes and the only good thing in that class from amd is the x3d 7800.

I dont think so, 7600/7800 are OK in their area, problem is the 100-200$ segment that is completely unpopulated other than by previous gen with a end of life plateform.

Cheap AM5 APUs would be the best way to attract consumers who are not willing to spend much for the time, but would be interested in a plateform compatible with future products; in this respect AMD s management wasnt insightfull.

H433x0n

Mar 15, 2023
You invalidated what you do by descripting it as "glitching" as if it was a console game. Back in my day, before you kids came along, we called it errata.

There will always be those on here hand-picking data from the earnings reports to score points for their particular team.
It’s called fault injection technically. In the industry it’s glitch/twitch for creating undefined behavior. Errata is a term you will usually only see in technical documents for error correction. I put quotations around the word glitching since I know it’s not a technical term.
mate I feel for your industry. I'm a lot safe than most but I've always kept soemthing on the back burner after getting burned by a few companies in various recessionary setbacks over my career. but i'd say you're very safe compared to the typical software person working for a wank company like google fiddling bs online. your work is useful isn't it? professional analysts get it right or wrong until they're on the opposite end of what they said may happen and if that jim is spudding out claptrap then it reckons back to the 30s or late 20s where shoe shiners were giving market advice and their own observations.
I've actually been okay at my full time job but I won't lie I've got a lot of concern over LLM. My only source of comfort is knowing that my niche is safer than just a straight forward developer (although it's still vulnerable). I figure if they come for me then that means doctors, lawyers and other white collar professions are also being systematically replaced and hopefully that will lead to some type of societal reform to ease the burden? That may be wishful thinking though.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
It’s called fault injection technically. In the industry it’s glitch/twitch for creating undefined behavior. Errata is a term you will usually only see in technical documents for error correction. I put quotations around the word glitching since I know it’s not a technical term.

I've actually been okay at my full time job but I won't lie I've got a lot of concern over LLM. My only source of comfort is knowing that my niche is safer than just a straight forward developer (although it's still vulnerable). I figure if they come for me then that means doctors, lawyers and other white collar professions are also being systematically replaced and hopefully that will lead to some type of societal reform to ease the burden? That may be wishful thinking though.
I hear you. our industry had been using automated tools for pathways for a while before amd or intel announced they had been using ai for pathways. they'd been using it for a while. you'd h ave to go back a long time when manual by hand tracing of pathways was done because la di da it was simpler then. a lot of the hardware and software has changed in the last 20 years, it's still slow with how people want faster things or better but it'll get faster in time as long as the hardware and tech stack improves. I personally am not too worried and will be retired before it takes my job if it ever does. call me a cynic but google's father of ai quitting stinks of cow poo and he'll be starting his own ai tech firm in a few years. ai and automated tools have their uses in other industries to reduce the risk for us humans where the machine will fault itself if it does something wrong or put its self in harms way and not us. but as you say what happens then for the masses? is there a big reset of careers or what happens if most of the world is put out of a job? it harkens back to how americans would willingly damage machinery during the industrial revolution. it's the great luddite question of the 21st century. luddites were called luddites because their leader was called Ludd and they'd throw objects into machinery to break them.it's too early to say if it's gonna stick around or another fad. remember 2 years ago when half the world's morons were saying blockchain and nfts were the future?

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
No, on most 'gaming' mice it can be changed.
Very interesting. Is this a relatively new feature? I know from my casual reading mechanical keyboards are beginning to make a comeback but this is news to me. Is it done using a switch on the board?

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
There is likely some AMD bias, but don't assume pro AMD statements are bias. Many, including me, are neutral. I give Intel a lot of crap currently because they are ignoring perf/watt and chasing power limits through the roof. When they finally do get their ducks in a row, I'll have something nice to say, and will likely build an Intel system again.

I am a senior software developer (I've been doing both software and hardware projects for more than 25 years, but currently mostly focus on software, though I do have an embedded project I am getting into that may require some custom hardware stuff) and I currently prefer AMD over Intel because from a performance standpoint, AMD has the edge (around 10-13% for 7950x vs 13900k) in a lot of my workloads, and from an efficiency standpoint, they outperform Intel by a large margin (7950x system pulls around 350-400w from the wall loaded, add another 70-120w for the Intel system for the same workload).
Ya think??? I just put the most offensive of them on ignore.

In any case, more to the topic at hand, Intel actually has the performance advantage in the six and 8 core chips, because you get comparable performance from the big cores, but for productivity you get added E cores. Above 8 cores, the advantage in most cases switches back to AMD because you get more big cores, and power usage is a bigger problem for the 13900k than for the i5 and i7 chips.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Let's predict the next few years of the tech industry based on the stock prices during after hours market after earnings.

Silly thing to do.

Intel went up because people buying stock believe they hit rock bottom.

AMD went down because ppl are selling to take a profit.

2020-2022 were crazy years for the chip sector, due to abnormal demand due to COVID (paired with a initial response to cut orders for chips).

AMD did great during those years. Intel not so much.

Now the market is auto correcting, especially the consumer side. AMD not doing as great and Intel still not doing great.

Is Intel going to retake the server market in the next few quarters? Doubt it.

If the market recovers AMD should do great.
In the client market Intel might recover a bit better, since Intel can compete with AMD on price and performance (due to higher power usage) but on the server power consumption is very important.

AMD product gross margins are 50%, Intel margins are on 30-something %.

Timorous

Golden Member
Oct 27, 2008
FvJma83agAEQSWu

Compared to Intel.

Fuv_Om1aMAY73k4

That client computing really shows why AMD need more OEM contracts for laptops and desktops.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
FvJma83agAEQSWu

Compared to Intel.

Fuv_Om1aMAY73k4

That client computing really shows why AMD need more OEM contracts for laptops and desktops.
AMD has exciting products coming for laptops and some of those APUs should be decent for cheapy OEMs. I bet more on the laptop side though.

prtskg

Oct 26, 2015
FvJma83agAEQSWu

Compared to Intel.

Fuv_Om1aMAY73k4

From last three quarters, Intel is pricing AMD out of competition. Intel is actually in red in DCAI even with 3.7B$ of revenue. In CCG, they've 9% profit. Reminds me of " real men have fabs."

Last edited:
Reactions: Henry swagger

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Ya think??? I just put the most offensive of them on ignore.

In any case, more to the topic at hand, Intel actually has the performance advantage in the six and 8 core chips, because you get comparable performance from the big cores, but for productivity you get added E cores. Above 8 cores, the advantage in most cases switches back to AMD because you get more big cores, and power usage is a bigger problem for the 13900k than for the i5 and i7 chips.
only hinderance is the io die power use on idle on amd. for tr destined and epic destined chips those dies are better performing than what the masses buy. if you leave your puter on its own without standby or shutting it off it's sipping a good amount of energy where the intel is far lower. if you're using your puter actively all day long the amd wins hands down.

yuri69

Jul 16, 2013
AMD has exciting products coming for laptops and some of those APUs should be decent for cheapy OEMs. I bet more on the laptop side though.
Ugh? Renoir was the ultimate 8c chip, Cezanne brought Zen 3 IPC, Rembrandt was very power-efficient - all those gens have been exciting. The strategy of rebranded -1 gen should work on the cheap side. Yet, AMD-OEMs relations failed.

Seeing AMD pouring $$$ to push many Zen 5-based laptop chips is worrying since such investment needs somehow to turn into sales. Those sales are to be made via OEMs...

The AM5 launch for the DIY was pretty bad. Expensive boards, expensive RAM, expensive processors, jump in power consumption, "3D chips" not available at launch - this has been pretty sad. As for EPYC - the midend platform is still not here so all the potential buyers would need to spend $$$ for the 12ch monstrosity even for midend chips.

Let's hope the Xilinx card keeps working with its 50+% margin.

Reactions: Tlh97

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
AMD has money to pour on OEMs now and more time has passed.

AMD laptops seem to sell quite fast though.

What I have paid to jump on AM5 was not much more than I paid for the i7 6700k platform it replaced 7 years ago.

I've paid a bit more on the motherboard and on ram, but it is a better motherboard that will probably will see 1 upgrade and it is 4x ram.

Reactions: Tlh97

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
What I have paid to jump on AM5 was not much more than I paid for the i7 6700k platform it replaced 7 years ago.
a lot of that was due to ddr4. buying into am5 is good due to lower prices and ddr5 has bowed down in pricing across the range whcih benefits intel users more but amd users buying into 5600-6200 have benefitted.