News AMD 1Q23 Earnings

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hemedans

Jan 31, 2015
Interesting how quickly people got off-topic in here, or had some bad takes in a thread dedicated to some overall-great results for AMD given market conditions.

First off, desktop (especially DiY) is no longer even AMD's #2 focus, so why any of you thought that AMD would be making waves in client is anyone's guess. Q1 barely has any Phoenix/Dragon Range revenue represented in the figures. Assuming AMD can actually get more Phoenix/Phoenix2 out the door, they'll do quite well. It's an excellent product poised to do well versus the competition.

Server/datacenter revenue being flat is quite impressive compared to their competition who took a knife to the face this past quarter.

Xilinx continues to deliver, so good all around there.

AMD for years tried having the best iGPU around, and they got a boot to the arse for their troubles. Having the best CPU cores on the market in that space is worth far more to them than anything related to your complaints.
It's not complain, read comment I quote, he Claim Amd has best Apu for low end which is not correct, because Ryzen 7 has best Igp doesn't translate to all portfolio,

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Published Mon, Oct 23 2017 8:49 AM EDT Updated Mon, Oct 23 2017 3:50 PM EDT

Already said and hell they were WAY off.

Does that look like -60% to anyone? Just more FUD.

Yeah they don't do 6 year predictions...............................
It wasn't quite 60% but around the time of this article AMD stock did drop quite a bit.

M6EaIIP.jpg

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
That old age phase mate. wait til you spend hours looking for your glasses to realize they were on you the entire time.

I do that now.

My admin saw me pacing my office and hallway.
She thought i was worried a large deal fell, and got canceled.
I told her i can't seem to remember where i left my reading glasses.

She face palmed me... told me to go home and take the day off.

I sometimes wonder who the real boss is.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I do that now.

Man is cancel sulfite getting out of control if your boss is getting canceled just for falling down.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Okay, 2nd times the charm I hope. I accidentally posted this in the Intel ER thread (oops) but this is the right place. :)
Original Article from Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-05-04/microsoft-is-helping-finance-amd-s-expansion-into-ai-chips?srnd=premium&leadSource=uverify wall

FvTPWxuWAAY1NV0

FvTRT63WAAgpJ_w

FvTRXnPWACQ3woj

There is an update from Dylan, though, that claims that Athena is NOT AMD-based:

Yeah, it seems like MS may be funding (or assisting) AMD in some fashion in AMD's AI efforts. Maybe it's more on the software side. Then at the same time, MS is developing an in house chip of their own. Perhaps some kind of mutual arrangement where MS helps AMD on the software side and AMD helps MS on the hardware side? Looks like we won't really know for a little while either way as clearly neither company is willing to talk about it yet.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Bloomberg is pretty specific about the amount of people working on chip designs in-house at Microsoft. Possibly it's a semi custom solution, like taking MI300 as a base but adding a Microsoft specific chiplet to the mix.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Did they miss 'Coffee Lake' as well?
tbf to him coffee lake was another skylake.
I do that now.

on your head or on your eyes? I've done both now and spent one long afternoon at work retracing my steps over our facilities only to notice it was shoved into my shirt pocket when I passed by a row of mirror finished doors. freezer, freezer in a container of half eaten ice cream, refrigerator, on the mower's seat. I usually feel on top of things!

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
i spoke too soon or i am a prophet. there is rumor amd is spinning up production of 3000g class processors again which are 4-4 and 4-8.
The rumor also says 30K units, trivial and probably for long term Pro support policy. My guess.

Reactions: Tlh97 and A///

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
from what little i can gather these are zen+ stock that was fabbed long ago.it's not unheard of to get backstock. these are for the low end china market from what im reading. now what is really funny to me is the 3000g are win 11 compatible. the haswell 22 nano meter based pentiums intel respun several years back are not. those were to fill a void because they couldn't supply enough leading edge parts to oems. or maybe the joke is on me because in a few years intel will double dip into companies pockets through proxy of the oems. long term service branches and iots will be on 10 for a long time but the advent of 11 has spurred their hardware enforced kernal protection measures which are either good or bad idk for company industries where direct attacks would cost them a lot of money or open to foreign corporate espionage

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
the small benefit of the pandemic and mass buying with glut right now is both companies can produce and keep stock for when the market turns up. lisa su stated the company has some overstock right now they may be cautious aboutt heir future wafer orders per month and be more conservative but they will sell and you don't wan to get caught your trousers down around your ankles then.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Not to go too far off-topic, but how will Athena add to (or detract from) AMD's existing lineup of AI hardware? Pretty sure the MI300 is already competing with some of NV's products.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
It's not complain, read comment I quote, he Claim Amd has best Apu for low end which is not correct, because Ryzen 7 has best Igp doesn't translate to all portfolio,

Again, how is that really relevant except for the small number of users that actually want an APU-only laptop AND care about the iGPU performance? Like I said, AMD has catered to that segment before. They got spat upon by buyers for their troubles. Intel consistently had the "best" mobile offerings of the Kaveri era despite having demonstrably worse iGPUs in most cases.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Not to go too far off-topic, but how will Athena add to (or detract from) AMD's existing lineup of AI hardware? Pretty sure the MI300 is already competing with some of NV's products.

MS has stated that AMD is not involved with Athena.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
MS has stated that AMD is not involved with Athena.

wha . . .?

edit: okay so I see the rumor mill is disputing the initials reports. Also @moinmoin brings up an interesting possibility of Athena being added as a chiplet to the existing MI300 structure. So that sort-of answers my question.