Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
*UPDATED*: Notes at bottom.
Hello. This is my FIRST post ever here - or really in any forum.

I just recently finished building my first custom PC and just finished writing, recording my first Electronica Album also.

I assembled an AMD 1950x Threadripper Workstation.

1950x Threadripper
64GB RAM
X399 Taichi Motherboard
Asus Strix RGB 1080 GPU
500 GB SSD
1TB HD
Enermax Liqtech 240 "TR4" AIO Cooler
Corsair Vengeance Case

I bought this because my old Intel I7-4770 couldn't process a song that I was working on. It couldn't handle the Mastering plugins that I wanted to use. So - I figured I'd go all out on a new build - or close to it.

I did a fair amount of research - what I thought at the time was significant, but what is now in retrospect, just fair.

I was advised by the "bros" at Micro Center that their best AIO and best cooler was the Enermax 240 - so thats what I picked up and have been using. This keeps my CPU cool on idle at around 30 degrees C. Under stress tests, it gets up to about 68 - 70.

HOWEVER - I built the PC to run Reason 10 and Ableton Live 10 as my DAWS.

Ableton is NOT an issue - as it runs nice and easily.

Propellerhead Reason, though, does NOT.

First of all, the song I built the PC to PLAY wont play at "stock settings." SO - I HAVE to overclock to get it to run. Which it DOES. So thats GOOD.

The problem I run into is overclocking in Reason with the 1950x TR - even at 3.6 GHZ slowly begins overheating my system. The temps jump 20 degrees simply by opening Reason. Loading the song, then pressing "play" makes them slowly rise from 50 to 60 to 70 to 80 to 85, then soon after - CRASH.

Even if I press "stop" - the temps don't come down while in Reason. I have to actually CLOSE the program.

From what I can tell - this is the ONLY program that challenges my CPU and system like this.

I played Far Cry 5 and FF XV and have done Cinebench and AIDA 64 and UserBenchmark - and those were all stable and my system performed with outstanding results. Even NOW - I'm running at 34 degrees C at 3.8 GHZ.

So - I reached out to Propellerhead Tech Support - and all they would tell me is that "Reason has not yet been tested with Threadripper CPUs and we do NOT tell our users what to expect with upcoming updates" - which is just really REDACTED if you ask me.

So - boys - girls - nonbinaries - what are your thoughts here? Am I doing something wrong? Should I swap out my AIO? Should I go Custom Loop? Or should I wait for Propellerhead to TEST and OPTIMIZE before I do that?

Also - I wanted to make this thread/ topic/ issue AVAILABLE to people because as far as I can see - there is VERY LITTLE INFORMATION about this issue on the Internet for PC and Reason users - and I want them to be aware of this issue BEFORE they sink money into a PC Workstation build like I did. Not that I necessarily regret it - but they should be aware.

1.) *This issue was resolved by connecting a disconnected wire to the radiator header of my Enermax 240 TR4 AIO* - (Two PC repair technicians failed to catch this mistake. It took a THIRD to find and solve the problem.)

2.) *Furthermore - for anyone else running MANY tracks like I am with MANY plugins/ chains/ effects with the 1950X Threadripper - I would highly suggest Overclocking at least SLIGHTLY to a higher base frequency rather than relying on the stock settings. This is due to the fact that at the stock settings, the Threadripper is set to "AUTO" and will "fluctuate" it's clock speed - which may result in some "tearing" in the playback of the music as it has for me.*

3.) *The fact that my CPU was overheating was forcing my CPU clock speed to "down-throttle" - which was resulting in sub-par performance. Fixing my Cooling System has drastically improved the performance of my PC system performance and has even allowed me to play songs that were previously unplayable at STOCK SETTINGS without Overclocking.*

I realize this is your first post here, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt.
We have a ZERO tolerance policy of no profanity in the Tech sub-forums.
This will be your only warning. Please don't do it again.

Iron Woode
Super Moderator

Last edited:

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
The voltage is fine.

Are you taking into account that there is a +27°C offset in the tCTL value?

The temperatures are within spec as long as they stay below 95°C (tCTL), i.e. at 68°C tDie.

Reactions: Drazick

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
No, sir, I don't even know what that means. I'm a musician/ producer, not a techy. :/

However - I did read somewhere that the offset was "fixed" or something in the Ryzen Master software?

Also, I'm using Core Temp - I thought that was accurate...

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
I've looked all over for Threadripper OC Voltage guides. Can't find ANYTHING. I got that 3.8 Voltage from a Youtube video.

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
Thanks for your interest in this thread/ case, by the way. Thanks for responding. More than the REDACTED at Propellerhead have done. Never asked me a single question about my "Voltage" - and I've paid them SIGNIFICANT amounts of money.

Last edited by a moderator:

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
I think that Ryzen Master has a toggle for game mode which disables one CPU die with dual-channel RAM. You could try that or alternatively use task manager to set core affinity to test how the software deals with fewer available threads.

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
Right on, man! Now thats the kind of Troubleshooting I'm talking about! :]

Thank you!

Now... A) What is a CPU "Die"?

B) How might disabling it enhance the performance of my system in Reason?

C) I will try this and let you know the results.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
The crash is certainly concerning and seems to correlate with the high temperature that you mentioned but the high temperature might not actually be the cause.

Does the whole system crash or just the app?
Can you take a screenshot of the task manager CPU usage while running the app to see how it is loading the CPU? (press ctrl+shift+esc then click on the performance tab. If you don't see the performance tab then click on more details on the bottom left first. Once on the performance tab, right click on the graph and make sure Logical processors is chosen under the "Change graph to" option).

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Right on, man! Now thats the kind of Troubleshooting I'm talking about! :]

Thank you!

Now... A) What is a CPU "Die"?

B) How might disabling it enhance the performance of my system in Reason?

C) I will try this and let you know the results.

Don't worry about the word die, just know that Threadripper is actually two CPUs in one inside the package (the thing you see/hold). Tamz is just saying that with Ryzen master you can turn off one of the CPUs so that it is just a single CPU operating. This is done because sometimes there is a performance penalty and/or weird behavior with some apps when trying to use a 2 in 1 type CPU. If Reason can't use more than what 1 CPU can do anyway, you'd get better performance and a little lower temperature by just turning off the other CPU.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
BTW, the Enermax 360 TR4 is the best cooler for your CPU. But use Ryzen master to overclock, and tell you your temps correctly.

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
Mark - ok thank you for the clarification.

So - I turned on Game mode and opened my song in Reason.

I didn't even press "play" - I just sat there and watched as the temps slowly, very slowly fluctuated and rose to 70 degrees C - then I closed the program.

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
To me - this is absurd. Even on my i7 with MORE tracks AND mastering plugins NOTHING overheated. NO, it didn't play AT ALL, but at least it wasn't overheating until it crashed just by sitting there, not even playing.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Raizor, can you take a screenshot of task manager while running the program?

Have you seen anyone else online who has used this program with a Ryzen or Threadripper CPU?

Raizor

Apr 26, 2018
I can take a screenshot, but unfortunately, I don't know of anyone using Ryzen with Reason. Most people use Macs.

(PC MASTER RACE)

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Also, which version of the program are you using?

Just click on the start menu and type snip (Snipping tool should pop up), it's a free Windows app that you can use for full screen grabs or you can choose a custom area of the screen.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
You need to use Ryzen master to OC and show us the temps please.
My TR runs 46c @100% load. running 3.8 all cores. 1.125 vcore. Bios is all stock

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
I found someone using a Ryzen R7 1700 who had good results in a user created stress test / benchmark.

https://forum.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?p=342882#p342882

Perhaps that forums has people who could help you better with this specific program?

I'd also like to see you set everything back to stock and see what happens to temperatures and such in the app. I know it won't play the song but this would give us a baseline to reference.

Reactions: Raizor