93 years old man got beat up by young robber, he didn't get mad

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Police: El Dorado man, 93, shoots robber after beating
Accused robber at LSU-Shreveport
July 28, 2007

The Associated Press

EL DORADO, Ark. - An elderly man beaten unconscious by an assailant wielding a soda can later awoke and shot the man during an attempted robbery, police said.

Willie Lee Hill, 93, told police he saw the robber while in his bedroom Wednesday night. Hill confronted Douglas B. Williams Jr., 24, of El Dorado, who struck the elderly man at least 50 times, knocking him out, police said.

Hill, covered in blood from the attack, regained consciousness and pulled a .38-caliber handgun on Williams. Williams saw the gun and charged Hill, who fired one round, police said. The bullet struck Williams in the throat.

When police arrived, officers said Williams told them, "I can't feel my legs and I got what I deserved."

Paramedics took Hill and Williams to the Medical Center of South Arkansas for treatment. Doctors later sent Williams to LSU Hospital in Shreveport, where he was listed in critical condition early today.

Police said Williams suffered at least temporary paralysis from the gunshot wound. Officers said Friday he would remain at the hospital indefinitely.

Hill, recovering Friday at the Medical Center of South Arkansas in El Dorado, said he would stay there through at least the early part of next week. After that, he said he would spend some time in nursing home to recuperate. Bruises covered his body, with four large gashes across his head.

"You can't imagine what an experience it is with somebody on top of you trying to kill you," Hill told The El Dorado News-Times. "I never had that happen to me."

Hill said he keeps his handgun "always loaded" near his bed. He carried the weapon outside to his porch as he waited for police, unsure if Williams would remain down.

Williams' first punch "hit me with all his might in the left side of my face," Hill said. "My teeth don't fit right now."

Officers reported finding a set of keys, two hearing aids, a CD player, an MP3 player, a Craftsman drill bit set and three pocket knives inside Williams' pockets. Police plan to charge Williams with residential burglary, second-degree battery, theft of property and theft by receiving.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com.../BREAKINGNEWS/70728002

Anghang

Platinum Member
Apr 30, 2001
robber got what he deserves, and i actually hope the robber lives the rest of his life crippled in some way...

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Something makes me think the old man was aiming for the head, and got a lucky miss.

Always aim center mass. There is a reason police and soldiers are taught this.

At any rate, good for him! Another valid example of why law abiding civilians MUST be allowed to keep and bear arms. And another example of a defensive gun use that did not end in death, so will not be used in the absurd "a gun is more likely to kill a family member than attacker" politically engineered statistic.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
Seems odd that the bastard could speak to police after taking one in the throat, but Kudos to the old fart :thumbsup: hope he recovers fully.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
Hopefully if they kept the items in question as evidence, they at least gave the guy his two hearing aides back.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Just wait until his grandson looks under the bed, finds the gun, and starts shooting people.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Hacp
Just wait until his grandson looks under the bed, finds the gun, and starts shooting people.

LOL at you.. seriously..

I never would have thought a single comment could substantiate stupidity with complete certainty... Until I just read yours.

eleison

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006

In any given year, there are more kids (13 years or younger) killed by the bath tub then by their parents/grandparents firearms.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: caivoma
The thief beat him to unconscious with a soda can ?
Hmm...

If it was full it was a 12oz brick. You can do a lot of damage with something like that.

Congrats on winning the Stupid Post of the Day award.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005

Yep, it is stupid when innocent people die because of misconcealed guns.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: eleison

In any given year, there are more kids (13 years or younger) killed by the bath tub then by their parents/grandparents firearms.

Maybe thats because its the neighbor kid that gets killed.

No acceptable number of people killed accidently by irresponsible gun owners IMO.

YoungGun21

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
Originally posted by: bctbct
Originally posted by: eleison

Maybe thats because its the neighbor kid that gets killed.

No acceptable number of people killed accidently by irresponsible gun owners IMO.

Don't even try to turn this into a gun control debate. That gun saved this mans life (possibly).

He probably lived by himself anyway so I don't really see the problem with keeping a gun loaded under his bed.

FlashG

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 1999

So what does your statement have to do with the circumstances of this case? Are you saying that you wish the old man was killed by his assailant because without a gun he wouldn?t be able to defend himself?

Jun 27, 2005

It's also stupid when people completely overstate a problem and blow it out of proportion. More kids die in swimming pools than from gun accidents. LOTS more. Should we outlaw them as well? More kids die riding bikes. Guess no kid should be allowed near a bike. Those deaths are just as senseless and preventable.

Yet here we have an instance of a person who was physically incapable of defending himself against a physically superior attacker. A gun saved his life and all you can do is harp on the same bogus negativity that the stats just don't bear out.

If you're that concerned about kids, there is a whole laundry list of things you have to eliminate that cause far more carnage to children before you get to guns.

Besides, what does your anti-gun mantra have to do with an old man who lives alone?

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
His grandson is likely to be 40-50 years old.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Howard
His grandson is likely to be 40-50 years old.

That changes everything, 40-50 yos are much more likey to shoot people compared to 4-12 yos. :)

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy

It's also stupid when people completely overstate a problem and blow it out of proportion. More kids die in swimming pools than from gun accidents. LOTS more. Should we outlaw them as well? More kids die riding bikes. Guess no kid should be allowed near a bike. Those deaths are just as senseless and preventable.

Yet here we have an instance of a person who was physically incapable of defending himself against a physically superior attacker. A gun saved his life and all you can do is harp on the same bogus negativity that the stats just don't bear out.

If you're that concerned about kids, there is a whole laundry list of things you have to eliminate that cause far more carnage to children before you get to guns.

Besides, what does your anti-gun mantra have to do with an old man who lives alone?

Safter swimming pools and safter bikes are needed then.