6700K price going up??? Now $399.99 @ Newegg

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If I was Intel I would raise the price of Kaby lake to reflect the price gouging. Intel is leaving money on the table.

I agree. Intel should double the price of their CPUs. Show the market no mercy for their miraculous technology.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
If I was Intel I would raise the price of Kaby lake to reflect the price gouging. Intel is leaving money on the table.

Like the "mini craze". The price grouging is essentially an isolated problem. You can buy all the 6700K you want at MSRP prices. It just depends on the retailer and if you are willing to wait a week or 2 in some cases.

I dont get why people continue to buy of places like Newegg when they keep doing what they do. They vote with their wallet and they support this behavior.
My own hardware pusher still sells the 6700K for ~365$, stock or not. (Currency insurance adds in these volatile times.)

Last edited:

mysticjbyrd

Golden Member
Oct 6, 2015
Like the "mini craze". The price grouging is essentially an isolated problem. You can buy all the 6700K you want at MSRP prices. It just depends on the retailer and if you are willing to wait a week or 2 in some cases.

I dont get why people continue to buy of places like Newegg when they keep doing what they do. They vote with their wallet and they support this behavior.
My own hardware pusher still sells the 6700K for ~365$, stock or not. (Currency insurance adds in these volatile times.)

What retailers do you use?

Mar 10, 2006
My point was, that if Intel doubled their prices, it would leave plenty of "breathing room" for AMD. And Intel enthusiasts wouldn't care, they're made of money. :p

If Intel doubled their prices, you would see PC prices skyrocket at every given performance level. This would significantly (and negatively) impact PC demand and Intel would ultimately wind up either shifting a much poorer mix of chips (i.e. everyone buys Celeron/Pentium chips) or they'd just not buy PCs at all.

Seriously, economics 101 here, people. If Intel could double prices and actually make more money that way, don't you think they would? They keep prices flat generation-over-generation SKU to SKU (roughly) despite the fact that AMD is basically a non-factor at the moment.

That should tell you that a lot of the "doom and gloom" hypotheses that people sling around to try to make people feel guilty about buying Intel products and not "supporting" struggling AMD. :p

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
... Are you being intentionally ignorant or what? Newsflash: Not every country is the same.

I can find way overpriced 6700K here as well.

However as long as the customer keeps supporting retailers doing this. Then it will continue. Dont tell me there isn't any other retailers in the US besides Newegg.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

However as long as the customer keeps supporting retailers doing this. Then it will continue. Dont tell me there isn't any other retailers in the US besides Newegg.

I invite you to take the time to find an i7-6700K available (as in, in-stock) from a reputable online vendor in the US at or near the retail price. If you live near a Microcenter, you can get one for $360 but you must purchase in-store. That's the lowest I've seen recently. Fry's will occasionally mark them down to $349 but again, that seems to be on sales and not the normal prices.

Last edited:

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Is stock a required feature? If you have to backorder then backorder. The place I primary buy got 8 days delivery time for 6700K. Just buy, wait 8 days and then you got it for "cheap".

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Is stock a required feature? If you have to backorder then backorder. The place I primary buy got 8 days delivery time for 6700K. Just buy, wait 8 days and then you got it for "cheap".

OK, find one reasonably priced which is not in-stock (bonus for an ETA date) and can be ordered online and shipped from a reputable vendor in the US. I'm pretty sure that if Microcenter would ship their 6700K stock, they'd be backordered as well. For me, the closest Microcenter is 2 hours away (which isn't terrible) and if I had settled on the 6700K, I'd make the drive because there are other things in that area which I can also do so I can kill many birds with one stone; however, many folks don't have this luxury. They're also selling the 5930K for $399, the 5820K for like $320, and the 4790K for $249 so the 6700K is a hard value proposition when you go there. That might also be why they still have stock of the 6700K.

Last edited:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Proshop.dk mainly. Komplett.dk and Dustin.dk is even cheaper at the moment.

There is no reason to pay overprice.

Isn't this about $460 USD?:

345ef51.png

I didn't really check to prove you wrong, I was going to try to buy one...

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
That is a job for yourself and your fellow Americans.

Of course it is, and we're telling you that it can't be done but you keep disputing the point. That's why I asked you to find one for us since you seem to think it is just Newegg gouging and we should have plenty of options. Amazon and Newegg are where most folks buy their parts and both are currently charging in excess of $400 and Newegg, at least, is backordered.

As I said, I *CAN* get one under $400 if I'm willing to drive 2 hours to Microcenter. Fry's is about an hour from me and is also only charging $390, but that's still overpriced and isn't the $370 or under price we keep hearing about. Those places are more like large regional players though and for high-demand items like processors, require you to buy them at the store most of the time rather than ship them.

Last edited:

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I'm seeing the price of i3 6100's going up now too but it's scattered, some retailers here are still selling it for $140-149 while others are selling $175-180. It's definitely retail gouging.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Of course it is, and we're telling you that it can't be done but you keep disputing the point. That's why I asked you to find one for us since you seem to think it is just Newegg gouging and we should have plenty of options. Amazon and Newegg are where most folks buy their parts and both are currently charging in excess of $400 and Newegg, at least, is backordered.

As I said, I *CAN* get one under $400 if I'm willing to drive 2 hours to Microcenter. Fry's is about an hour from me and is also only charging $390, but that's still overpriced and isn't the $370 or under price we keep hearing about. Those places are more like large regional players though and for high-demand items like processors, require you to buy them at the store most of the time rather than ship them.

Just curious. How many retailers do you have/or have checked?

We need to use price index bases here to keep track. Because there are 100s of retailers. 1000s if EU that we can all freely buy from.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013

The only retailer I can find that isn't gouging or sold-out is Microcenter, and those are pretty rare. Even then, MC traditionally offers CPUs at a discount compared to others anyway, making this price rather high for them.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Just curious. How many retailers do you have/or have checked?

We need to use price index bases here to keep track. Because there are 100s of retailers. 1000s if EU that we can all freely buy from.

The US is a much different market. At one point, we did have dozens of large companies which sold computer parts over the internet nationally, along with a healthy network of local shops we could buy from. I live in a city with 2 million people in the metro area and I would struggle to name a good, independent computer shop. The ones I knew about all closed long ago.

Now? Well, it really has been mostly consolidated down to Amazon and Newegg, with TigerDirect bringing up the rear and large regional presences from Fry's and Microcenter. Anyway, many of the other large sites (anyone remember mWave, ZipZoomFly, and Insight?) and companies from many years ago either closed, pivoted to focus on the enterprise market or general consumer market, or were bought out.

Microcenter in particular beats everyone on pricing and has awesome sales, but they're mostly located east of the Mississippi so a huge portion of the population doesn't have access to them. Fry's has a larger presence and generally has good deals too, but again, you have to go to the store.

I'm not saying that you CAN'T find them on the internet in the US and I'm certainly not trying to be a pain; there might be some obscure Mom and Pop store in the US selling them on the internet for $360, but I sure haven't seen it and I'm hoping someone can show me.

http://www.frys.com/product/8521659 390$.

But else it seems I can count all US retailers on my hands. Is that really so?

Yes, it is really so. The CPU above is available only for in-store pickup - this is the problem I've been talking about. For people like me, that's fine, but many don't have Fry's near them. Fry's is about 45 minutes to an hour away and if I'm going to drive that far, I probably should just drive another hour and go to Microcenter because they have other deals too and I'd save $40 on the CPU.

Last edited:

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
This is retailers making the most out of supply and demand. Via pcpartpicker, OutletPC has it for $698! :)

Amazon is OOS at $419. Microcenter at $359 store only.

I have a Fry's about 45 mins away and it is usually not worth the drive versus mail/internet order. It is better now with cheaper gas prices but you're then at the mercy of what Fry's has in stock. Ended up with a $150 mobo I didn't really need before because of that.

Right now Skylake makes little sense for most given prices of X99 or 4790k.