50 Years of Failed Climate Change Predictions

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Obama's new seaside mansion ok today? Just checking, according to some predictions that land should have been underwater by now.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Last edited:
Reactions: nickqt

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He's a geologist in Tx. His primary job was making money for oil execs, not understanding how our planet works.

What I offered is basic knowledge for anybody with a geology degree. Actual career employment opportunities for geologists w/o advanced degrees are scarce & have been for decades. It's also erratic over time, fluctuating with the ups & downs of the oil bidness. I've known a few geologists & what they all wanted was a tenured position at a college or university.

Reactions: Meghan54

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
It is actually shocking how identical the arguments are of climate change deniers to ANY science denial, or conspiracy theory.

And this comes from a reformed climate change denialist.

Science denial is science denial. It doesn't matter if it's anti-vax, flat earth, anti-GMO, moon landing hoaxers, organic food buyers, alt-med believers, etc. It is ALL identical. The cherry picking, the holding on to debunked "facts."

It's actually quite sad how easily we are led to believe insanely paranoid fallacies to hold onto our worldview.

For the anti-vaxxer it is the belief that every single immunologist, virologist, epidemiologist and 99.999% of medical doctors in every country on earth are conspiring to lie to you.

For the flat earther it is the belief that every scientist and navigational expert in every country on earth are conspiring to lie to you.

For the climate change denialist it is the belief that every climatologist and 99.9% of scientists in climate and meteorology in every country on earth are conspiring to lie to you.

The paranoid inasanty of that is astounding once seen from the outside.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Have you guys seen where the rich people around Miami are trying to buy the poor areas up since they're they highest ground in the area?

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Obama's new seaside mansion ok today? Just checking, according to some predictions that land should have been underwater by now.

Did he buy that place? I thought that was gossip. How did he afford it? Wasn’t it like 14m?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Watched TV news tonight. Dang! Millions all round the planet, mostly the young, marched, demonstrated in favor of addressing the climate change crisis. Wished I'd known, I'd have joined them. Well, I did dedicate my radio show on 9/11 to the crisis (nothing to do with the attack on N.Y.). I said a lot and played appropriate songs. I only had around 3 in mind but as the show progressed I thought of many many other related songs, and I got some requests by listeners.

Why didn't the news last night announce the demonstrations! The media are not to be trusted (i.e. to be LIBERAL ENOUGH). Go to hell SS!

The media ARE catching on, but it's just the start.

I'm going to have to subscribe to something so I get advanced info on the climate crisis demonstrations... this is only going to escalate BIGTIME!

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Did he buy that place? I thought that was gossip. How did he afford it? Wasn’t it like 14m?
I have a feeling that not too many banks are going to turn down a recent President's mortgage loan.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
LOL, you're reduced to doing the "you'll be sorry!" speech? What are you, Dr. Claw saying "I'll get you next time Inspector Gadget, next time!"
The way the system is set up right now, its only the upper upper class that will manage to edge it out. From where I am sitting ill just point my finger at your sorry ass dying and whisper : Told you so.
Good luck.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Maybe this is a defining moment in our history.. for a short while Darwins natural selection will be in full effect again on homo sapiens.. after being dorment for hundreds of years.
Its time to cull the fucking herd.
Lets be done with it then already, push the oven to max and get it over with.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I'll use my Trump straw to sip out of my bottled water. Some of these restrictions liberals think matter remind me of gun restrictions... feel good do nothing moves to help people feel better about doing nothing.

Feb 16, 2005
I'll use my Trump straw to sip out of my bottled water. Some of these restrictions liberals think matter remind me of gun restrictions... feel good do nothing moves to help people feel better about doing nothing.
you are such a sad little cvnt. It'd be a total fucking shame if that straw penetrated your soft palate and lodged in that wasted matter between your ears

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Stop feeding the friggin troll people. He isn't interested in anything close to scientific reality, he's doing this not out of ignorance but to cast nets and get people on his hook. He's irrelevant to the relevant, the science. Let him say that Tinkerbell will lead us to MAGA.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
It is actually shocking how identical the arguments are of climate change deniers to ANY science denial, or conspiracy theory.

And this comes from a reformed climate change denialist.

Science denial is science denial. It doesn't matter if it's anti-vax, flat earth, anti-GMO, moon landing hoaxers, organic food buyers, alt-med believers, etc. It is ALL identical. The cherry picking, the holding on to debunked "facts."

It's actually quite sad how easily we are led to believe insanely paranoid fallacies to hold onto our worldview.

For the anti-vaxxer it is the belief that every single immunologist, virologist, epidemiologist and 99.999% of medical doctors in every country on earth are conspiring to lie to you.

For the flat earther it is the belief that every scientist and navigational expert in every country on earth are conspiring to lie to you.

For the climate change denialist it is the belief that every climatologist and 99.9% of scientists in climate and meteorology in every country on earth are conspiring to lie to you.

The paranoid inasanty of that is astounding once seen from the outside.

You forgot the by-far biggest difference that blows up your comparison. Unlike climate change, all the others from anti-vaxxers to flat earthers and alt-med believers aren't asking everyone else on earth to completely and drastically change their way of life and upend their economy otherwise "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE." I've never ever been asked by a flat-earth person to stop driving an SUV or had them attempt to guilt me into transfer payments to the poors because otherwise NYC will be submerged.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You forgot the by-far biggest difference that blows up your comparison. Unlike climate change, all the others from anti-vaxxers to flat earthers and alt-med believers aren't asking everyone else on earth to completely and drastically change their way of life and upend their economy otherwise "WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE." I've never ever been asked by a flat-earth person to stop driving an SUV or had them attempt to guilt me into transfer payments to the poors because otherwise NYC will be submerged.

Anti-vaxxers are asking other people to die so they can keep believing a fantasy. It’s just like climate change deniers.

Also, you should want NYC to stick around as it probably significantly helps fund where you live.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Anti-vaxxers are asking other people to die so they can keep believing a fantasy. It’s just like climate change deniers.

Also, you should want NYC to stick around as it probably significantly helps fund where you live.

There's honest and dishonest versions of climate change believers. The dishonest are modern progressives. The honest are these.

main-qimg-453e6d41d7daaa500d134dc5499bd984

Anyways, here's to the next few decades of you guys losing at the ballot box, having your policies ignored and treaties withdrawn from, and coming back in another 50 years and still saying "unless we completely change our economies in the next 10 years by 2080 then WE'RE ALL DOOMED, DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!"

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Haha, it’s funny how you think you wasting your money and giving it to a grifter would make other people mad.

It’s like how you idiots bragged about donating to the NRA only to find out that they were laughing at you behind your backs and going on a shopping spree with your money.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Haha, it’s funny how you think you wasting your money and giving it to a grifter would make other people mad.

It’s like how you idiots bragged about donating to the NRA only to find out that they were laughing at you behind your backs and going on a shopping spree with your money.

Well, stop acting so upset. I don't own any Trump straws, though I can imagine 50 years from now when the sky hasn't fallen and the climate hasn't radically changed and there is still ice over the arctic they'd be a cool collectible to own. I think you should buy some.