3000 Anytime + FREE LD in NV & CA - $49.95

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ynotravid

Jun 20, 2002
Originally posted by: NewSc2
Originally posted by: immortalis
So let's see.

First you wrote "free nights", then you reverted that!
Then you said "free nationwide long distance", later you reduced that "nation" to CA and NV.
You also said 1600 minutes but now it is 800 only.
And you write you don't have the T68 available.

Anything else?

Did you sell cars in the other life?

Do you have a cell phone?

Can you not see that this is a hot deal?

Give the guy a break, he's trying to save some AT members some money.

As you can see smartcap and I are fairly new here and Hawk is not. I really am wondering what the policy is on plugs. I mean I work for a computer store that has a lot of great deals but I'm not sure if I should post them cuz I don't know what the policy is.

Especially if I were to make commission on the deal.

Nov 29, 2001
The Get More plan seems like a great deal. I signed up for it on T-mobile.com and ordered the free Nokia 3390 Gold. Along with the 2.99 upgrade to 500 text messages (including AIM). My wife is quite happy with the gift.

According to Judith from their customer service, there is a 72 hour buyer's remorse clause that allows you to cancel without charge. I plan to use that if and only if I get really bad service in my area.

1000 Weekday minutes, unlimited weekend minutes, and free long distance -- what a deal!

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Rate Plan|||||||||||||||||||||||||Bonus Whatever Minutes||||||||||||||||||||Total Whenever Minutes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$39.99 Get More 400 per month 1000
$59.99 Get More Plus 700 per month 1500
$99.99 Get More Max 1600 per month 3000

this is on the back of the brochure i picked up for the "Limited Time Offer"

stryder390

Dec 7, 2000
Yeah..I have gotten the 59.99 family Plan and got 2 R225 Samsung phones. Initially the sales rep gave me the phones for $22 (tax only) for each phone plus $89 rebate. I later complained about it when I read that SmartCap was giving away the phone for free but he said that I won't be able to get the rebate..WTF--the rebate has nothing to do with the getting the phone for free or not. I called CS and she credited me the $44 for 2 phones plus credited back $50 activation fees. In all, I will be making $178 in rebates..once I get the rebate forms. Reception is OK because I seem to lose recpetion when I am walking around the house but it still works, better than Cingular. CS is great and they open 24/7.

smartcap

Jan 27, 2002
Glad u got a good deal on the R225...they're NICE fones.... If u need the rebate form..lemme know and i'll email it 2 u...

He charge you $22/phone for tax...!!!! Wow....talk about underhanded.....

Originally posted by: stryder390
Yeah..I have gotten the 59.99 family Plan and got 2 R225 Samsung phones. Initially the sales rep gave me the phones for $22 (tax only) for each phone plus $89 rebate. I later complained about it when I read that SmartCap was giving away the phone for free but he said that I won't be able to get the rebate..WTF--the rebate has nothing to do with the getting the phone for free or not. I called CS and she credited me the $44 for 2 phones plus credited back $50 activation fees. In all, I will be making $178 in rebates..once I get the rebate forms. Reception is OK because I seem to lose recpetion when I am walking around the house but it still works, better than Cingular. CS is great and they open 24/7.

jinduy

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
hey smart cap, what's the best free phone i can get from you, i mean best as in best reception? I'm not that far from la habra..about 19 miles.

Wurlybird9

Jun 30, 2001
I'm not sure if this Link works, but anyway....I live in the Detroit area and according to this site, I'm not offered the 1000 minute plan, but I am being offered the 3000 anytime for 50 bucks. That is an assload of daytime minutes. This says Voicestream, not T-mobile. Great Lakes area. No indication of Cali or Nevada. So maybe this isn't just a West Coast thing....for once. :p Can anyone verify this? Without nites, I think the 1000 minute plan isnt that hot anyway. 3000 is just ridiculous. I can just call you guys in Cali all day whenever I get bored and burn up those minutes.

smartcap

Jan 27, 2002
I would say the best fone IMHO is the V60..but unfortunately it's not free.. 8(

Originally posted by: jinduy
hey smart cap, what's the best free phone i can get from you, i mean best as in best reception? I'm not that far from la habra..about 19 miles.

bradster

Jul 12, 2002
I went back to the store I got my R225 from...to complain that others got their phones for free and made $89 on the rebate (I paid $97 out the door). They said they were giving the phones away for free as well, but corporate busted them and told them to stop. They also said that people who got their phones for free will be denied their rebates. Well, we'll see about that. If anyone gets their rebates after getting a free phone, let us know.

BTW I'm selling a Motorola V60g UNLOCKED that works with both Cingular and T-Mobile. The internet function works really well with it (has GPRS). If you're interested in buying it, lemme know. It's only a few weeks old.

WileCoyote

Aug 4, 2000
I live in northern Virginia and for me, it's $59.99 a month for 3000 mins. Notice the bold area in the plan: that long distance is only good as long as I call within northern Virginia. This plan is a joke. It should be "extremely short Long Distance." I can drive 1 hour south and be charged .20/a minute. Also, northern Virginia ran out of number is the 703 area code, and had to add another one. That means a call to a friend of mine 10 minutes away will be a roaming call.
I went to the a T-Mobile store, set to buy, but left empty handed. I wonder why.

Long Distance Per Minute With Northeast Neighborhood, you pay no long distance or digital roaming charges to call from your home digital coverage area to anywhere in NY, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, D.C., and N. Virginia. $0.20/minute for any calls made to anywhere in the USA outside the Northeast Neighborhood.

Roaming Per Minute With Northeast Neighborhood, you pay no long distance or digital roaming charges to call from your home digital coverage area to anywhere in NY, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, D.C., and North Virginia (area code 703), $0.49/minute for any calls made outside the Northeast Neighborhood.

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
if anyone is interested in T-Mobile in the bay area/norcal area, go ahead and give me a PM. a good friend of mine runs a store in oakland. he's running a few deals as well but i dont want to break forum rules by posting his address. just pm me you're interested

MuffD

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
Anyone in San Diego try their service yet? I'm curious as to how their coverage is. I still have verizon but was contemplating this.

goodoptics

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
ok, before i jump on this deal, I have one question to ask:
How's reception inside a building? Do you get any at all?

Thanks.

siclithat

Mar 28, 2001
guys, you can get a MUCH BETTER deal by buying form Amazon.com... Sad but true. Free shipping, the normal voicestream rebates PLUS Amazon is giving up to $180/phone rebate. It's crazy. That's what I got -- free V60g after rebate. Some phones, you get paid up to $145 (R225 is one). You realize that that $145 pays for about 3.5 months of your one year contract. Pretty cool. (BTW HURRY -- ONLY 2 DAYS LEFT FOR AMAZON REBATES -- THEY WEREN'T AVAILABLE IN CA/NV AT FIRST, BUT SWITCHED JUST THE OTHER DAY)

goodoptics

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
Originally posted by: bradster
I went back to the store I got my R225 from...to complain that others got their phones for free and made $89 on the rebate (I paid $97 out the door). They said they were giving the phones away for free as well, but corporate busted them and told them to stop. They also said that people who got their phones for free will be denied their rebates. Well, we'll see about that. If anyone gets their rebates after getting a free phone, let us know.

BTW I'm selling a Motorola V60g UNLOCKED that works with both Cingular and T-Mobile. The internet function works really well with it (has GPRS). If you're interested in buying it, lemme know. It's only a few weeks old.

Price After Special Offers: -149.01 at amazon.com

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
At Amazon--the way I'm reading it--your cost after rebates for the v60g is $zero, that is, you do not make money on the deal, you just get a free phone.

m1ke101

Platinum Member
Mar 30, 2001
hmmm i really don't like dealing with rebates, seeing how they a lot of times never actually come, and $250 seems to be a lot of money in rebates if you ask me. anyone know of a good deal in sf/bay area for a phone and this 39.99 deal? if not i was just thinking of going to one of those stores on irving.

Almighty1

Oct 1, 2000
For all you guys, T-Mobile is just the new name for Deutsche Telecom's launching of VoiceStream wireless which they acquired and merged with their own wireless company. In California and Nevada, it's pretty easy to tell how service quality will be since if you have used a Cingular phone before, it's the same as VoiceStream as VoiceStream will be using Cingular's network in California/Nevada while Cingular will use VoiceStream's Network in New York City. So depending how service is with Cingular, it's worst in Southern California than Northern California and reading the alt.cellular hierarchy newsgroups will give you more information that you want to know. In some areas, you will get good service but very slim. In other areas, you'll have a phone but the chances of you being able to make a call or receive one is slim since Cingular's network is overloaded. So just wanted to remind people that while you may have a nice phone, it'll be there just for looks and not usage. You'll be better off with AT&T's GSM service on AT&T's own network or Verizon Wireless's CDMA service. Take a look at the following article which has been in several other wireless industry magazines as well:

http://www.wirelessnewsfactor.com/perl/story/14162.html

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
earlier in this thread i offered people to pm me if they were interested in a bay area store that sold these phones/plans. one of the guys from my church co-owns a store in oakland. i got a lot of pms and someone wanted me to post the info up, so i thought i would now since im tired of returning pms (im lazy =P). if this is against forum policy (which is why i hesitated to post it first) i'll edit out whatever needs to be edited. but its a good deal so i'm just giving out what i know.

these deals are for T-Mobile
- the Motorola V66 (thinner than V60) and Samsung R225 are free after mail in rebate (i confirmed with him on this ... v66 is free)
- one year contract required (not two)

smartcap: you're right. talked to him this morning. v60 hasn't come in yet but he said it wont be free.

someone pm'd me about the shared plan ...
all dealers have the same plans i think
- 800 minutes anytime, weekends free, long distance included, mobile to mobile free, and can travel to different city across the united states and phone calls are free because the long distance are included

3336 International Blvd., Oakland, CA 94601.
next to Fruitvale Dental Office

smartcap

Jan 27, 2002
There's no way you can get the V60 for FREE unless u get it thru Amazon....I've seen my boss order the fone @ wholesale price...and that shiny piece of metallic costs a lot of money EVEN @ wholesale. The rebate for the v60 is $100 & the rebate for the V66 is $50 (not $89).

Look around and u can find the v60 for $79 after rebate, the v66 for $30 after rebate, and the Samsung R225 is FREE period...u will actually make money on the Samsung R225 (no need 2 wait for rebate)

Originally posted by: udonoogen

I think he said the V60 was free after $50 rebate but i didn't quite understand. if anyones interested in the v60 for tmobile ill email him to make sure

smartcap

Jan 27, 2002
Actually the article is very misleading....

1) yes...they are sharing the tower, but not the switch
2) T-Mobile have been approved for additional towers where Cingular have not
3) They have an extra 20Mhz of bandwith with translate into being able to handle more callers...
4) I have both Cingular and T-Mobile....and I must say that I have not had any problems making any calls since the 15th ...customer service are open 24/7, only a 1 year contract, activation is only $25 (about $10 less than other carriers), and is the best bang for the bux right now.

Originally posted by: Almighty1
For all you guys, T-Mobile is just the new name for Deutsche Telecom's launching of VoiceStream wireless which they acquired and merged with their own wireless company. In California and Nevada, it's pretty easy to tell how service quality will be since if you have used a Cingular phone before, it's the same as VoiceStream as VoiceStream will be using Cingular's network in California/Nevada while Cingular will use VoiceStream's Network in New York City. So depending how service is with Cingular, it's worst in Southern California than Northern California and reading the alt.cellular hierarchy newsgroups will give you more information that you want to know. In some areas, you will get good service but very slim. In other areas, you'll have a phone but the chances of you being able to make a call or receive one is slim since Cingular's network is overloaded. So just wanted to remind people that while you may have a nice phone, it'll be there just for looks and not usage. You'll be better off with AT&T's GSM service on AT&T's own network or Verizon Wireless's CDMA service. Take a look at the following article which has been in several other wireless industry magazines as well:

Almighty1

Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: smartcap
Actually the article is very misleading....

1) yes...they are sharing the tower, but not the switch
2) T-Mobile have been approved for additional towers where Cingular have not
3) They have an extra 20Mhz of bandwith with translate into being able to handle more callers...
4) I have both Cingular and T-Mobile....and I must say that I have not had any problems making any calls since the 15th ...customer service are open 24/7, only a 1 year contract, activation is only $25 (about $10 less than other carriers), and is the best bang for the bux right now.

Originally posted by: Almighty1

From what I was told by other people who use both T-Mobile and Cingular, they do share the switches and towers initially and then T-Mobile will be building their own towers or something. It seems all the Cingular resellers which are really MCI/WorldCom wireless resellers have all switched to T-Mobile since Cingular doesn't seem to have resellers other than their own stores and the retail chain stores but no independents.

smartcap

Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Almighty1From what I was told by other people who use both T-Mobile and Cingular, they do share the switches and towers initially and then T-Mobile will be building their own towers or something. It seems all the Cingular resellers which are really MCI/WorldCom wireless resellers have all switched to T-Mobile since Cingular doesn't seem to have resellers other than their own stores and the retail chain stores but no independents.

Cingulars do have independent resellers....we were one... AND no most of them were not MCI/Worldcomm dealers...

ynotravid

Jun 20, 2002
I'm starting to see and hear T-Mobile Ads everywhere. Seems like the earlier the better to get in. While they are trying to dazzle customers.