3000 Anytime + FREE LD in NV & CA - $49.95

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

larciel

Diamond Member
May 23, 2001
still waiting for feedback around oc area.. especially inside buildings and downstairs.

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
From what I was told by other people who use both T-Mobile and Cingular, they do share the switches and towers initially and then T-Mobile will be building their own towers or something. It seems all the Cingular resellers which are really MCI/WorldCom wireless resellers have all switched to T-Mobile since Cingular doesn't seem to have resellers other than their own stores and the retail chain stores but no independents.

if you've never seen cingular resellers, go to rowland heights. every other store is a cingular reseller. =)

Almighty1

Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: smartcap
Originally posted by: Almighty1From what I was told by other people who use both T-Mobile and Cingular, they do share the switches and towers initially and then T-Mobile will be building their own towers or something. It seems all the Cingular resellers which are really MCI/WorldCom wireless resellers have all switched to T-Mobile since Cingular doesn't seem to have resellers other than their own stores and the retail chain stores but no independents.

Cingulars do have independent resellers....we were one... AND no most of them were not MCI/Worldcomm dealers...

Well, maybe the question is are you talking about Cingular as in Cingular or PacBell Wireless because I know everyone who advertises as PacBell Wireless in San Francisco were all selling MCI/WorldCom Wireless. Except for Circuit City, Good Guys. They said that PacBell doesn't allow resellers or something.

Almighty1

Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: udonoogen
From what I was told by other people who use both T-Mobile and Cingular, they do share the switches and towers initially and then T-Mobile will be building their own towers or something. It seems all the Cingular resellers which are really MCI/WorldCom wireless resellers have all switched to T-Mobile since Cingular doesn't seem to have resellers other than their own stores and the retail chain stores but no independents.

if you've never seen cingular resellers, go to rowland heights. every other store is a cingular reseller. =)

Maybe southern california is different than northern. The only resellers in Northern California for PacBell Wireless were Circuit City, GoodGuys types in San Francisco atleast. Everyone else who advertised PacBell were reselling MCI/WorldCom.

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
forgive me if im wrong but pacbell was bought out by cingular. so pacbell wireless = cingular?

anyhow, it seems as if resellers (of all kinds, cingular included) seem to congregate in primarily asian areas. not sure why asian people are all into this cell phone craze. SF chinatown has resellers. the local 99 ranch market them near my place as well as a few hole in the wall stores. i dunno. your mileage will vary where you are in norcal i suppose. a lot of resellers are dropping cingular (esp in norcal) tho cuz the service sucks so bad. i think its a good idea, personally.

Almighty1

Oct 1, 2000
forgive me if im wrong but pacbell was bought out by cingular. so pacbell wireless = cingular?

anyhow, it seems as if resellers (of all kinds, cingular included) seem to congregate in primarily asian areas. not sure why asian people are all into this cell phone craze. SF chinatown has resellers. the local 99 ranch market them near my place as well as a few hole in the wall stores. i dunno. your mileage will vary where you are in norcal i suppose. a lot of resellers are dropping cingular (esp in norcal) tho cuz the service sucks so bad. i think its a good idea, personally.

Cingular = merger of SBC Wireless which includes PacBell Wireless and SWB Wireless and BellSouth. I know SF Chinatown has resellers but if you actually go inside to World Communications or even Future Communications or even SuperCom as well as any of the others who advertise in the Advertiser, you will see it says Cingular Wireless or PacBell Wireless but the service you get it actually through MCI WorldCom Wireless even though it's basically using PacBell under their own name. I know most of the people who own those stores and what they told me before during the days before it became Cingular was that PacBell Wireless doesn't allow resellers so the only way to get a PBW account it to goto PBW's own stores so people had to resell MCI WorldCom. Ofcourse, after there was Cingular, you see GoodGuys and CircuitCity, BestBuy types carry Cingular as well. One bad thing about Cingular compared to AT&T/Verizon is you don't get a period of time where you can return the phone and get your money back and can cancel the contract. PacBell Wireless used to offer that many years ago and even then, their service wasn't that good. I've been using and testing Cellphones for the last 13 years. PacBell Wireless used to be PacBell/PacTell Mobile Services in Northern California which owned 60% of Bay Area CellularOne. That 60% became Airtouch and when Verizon Wireless did the partnership with GTE Wireless, Vodafone Airtouch, PrimeCo, BellAtlantic Mobility.... Airtouch sold their
60% to AT&T since AT&T already owned some portion of CellOne. All of those seemed to have went T-Mobile now.

smartcap

Jan 27, 2002
Originally posted by: Almighty1
One bad thing about Cingular compared to AT&T/Verizon is you don't get a period of time where you can return the phone and get your money back and can cancel the contract.

U have 14 days to cancel w/Cingular...

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
i actually didn't say that smartcap. =)

anyhow, i really considering getting t-mobile now ... probably through amazon tho cuz i want the v60. thanks for the deal smartcap!

Almighty1

Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Almighty1
One bad thing about Cingular compared to AT&T/Verizon is you don't get a period of time where you can return the phone and get your money back and can cancel the contract.

U have 14 days to cancel w/Cingular...

You sure about that one? I remember PacBell Wireless used to be 30 days where you can return the equipment. When I called Cingular's own stores a few months ago, they said you can't return the phone at all. So you buy the phone but you can cancel the service, is this still the case? What about T-Mobile?

smartcap

Jan 27, 2002
You sure about that one? I remember PacBell Wireless used to be 30 days where you can return the equipment. When I called Cingular's own stores a few months ago, they said you can't return the phone at all. So you buy the phone but you can cancel the service, is this still the case? What about T-Mobile?

U have 14 days w/CIngular & Verizon...3 days with T-Mobile...

immortalis

Dec 28, 2000
Cancellation: "...3 days with T-Mobile..."

3 Days??

Did you drop a "0" or is it really just three days (72 hours)?

Sobe

May 13, 2002
amazon has the t68 but not to CA but okay for NY zips . . . why? does this phone not work in CA?

wlau

Jun 14, 2002
Okay, I had T-Mobile service since the launch. I have the v66 phone, it sounds GREAT. BUT, the service SUCKS, period. I carry both my T-Mobile and Cingular phone (from work). There is NO coverage improvement what's so ever (so the extra approved sites for T-Mobile is not up and running yet). At night, the network is STILLLLLLLL busy for both Cingular and T-Mobile customers. In fact, I had more problems with my T-Mobile phone. The Cingular phone had 3x more chances on acquiring and establishing calls during busy hours. The T-Mobile would revert to Emergency Only, I assume the network is so busy that T-Mobile customers don't have priority. I took the phone back, and ran into another really pissed off customer. So, this is the end of T-Mobile for me. From what I was told, the actually sites have the ability to determine which carrier you are with, and route the call signals to the corresponding switch, which may explain why my Cingular scored better during busy hours, they probably prioritize their own customers.

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: wlau
Okay, I had T-Mobile service since the launch. I have the v66 phone, it sounds GREAT. BUT, the service SUCKS, period. I carry both my T-Mobile and Cingular phone (from work). There is NO coverage improvement what's so ever (so the extra approved sites for T-Mobile is not up and running yet). At night, the network is STILLLLLLLL busy for both Cingular and T-Mobile customers. In fact, I had more problems with my T-Mobile phone. The Cingular phone had 3x more chances on acquiring and establishing calls during busy hours. The T-Mobile would revert to Emergency Only, I assume the network is so busy that T-Mobile customers don't have priority. I took the phone back, and ran into another really pissed off customer. So, this is the end of T-Mobile for me. From what I was told, the actually sites have the ability to determine which carrier you are with, and route the call signals to the corresponding switch, which may explain why my Cingular scored better during busy hours, they probably prioritize their own customers.

yikes doesnt sound hot at all. im glad i didnt jump into t-mobile. i had cingular and didn't like that service too much at all. i guess ill wait for more feedback. where are you located wlau? bay area perchance?

Almighty1

Oct 1, 2000

U have 14 days w/CIngular & Verizon...3 days with T-Mobile...

Not according to the Cingular owned stores in San Francisco. I called them and they tell me that you can't return the phone at all. You can only cancel the contract so if you want their service, try out a friend or someone that uses their service first. Verizon is 15 days but used to be 30 days when it was GTE Wireless.

Almighty1

Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: wlau

yikes doesnt sound hot at all. im glad i didnt jump into t-mobile. i had cingular and didn't like that service too much at all. i guess ill wait for more feedback. where are you located wlau? bay area perchance?

I guess I was correct that if it's related to Cingular in anyway, you should just be like be a little worried since even though they may have different switches. The problem isn't the switches as Sprint PCS and GSM are new networks so their signals aren't as strong as the traditional A and B carriers as well as coverage.

MuffD

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
After reading this long and hard I think I have come to the conclusion to stick with Verizon and maybe others here should think of that too in SO Cal. This is my plan.
I'm paying 49.99 for 1000 peak minutes and unlimited night/weekends with free long distance to anywhere in the country. I can also roam for free in the western region (I forgot exactly which states).
I think they also offer a plan for 39.99 which only offers 700 peak and still unlimited night/weekends.

Almighty1

Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: muffstah
After reading this long and hard I think I have come to the conclusion to stick with Verizon and maybe others here should think of that too in SO Cal. This is my plan.
I'm paying 49.99 for 1000 peak minutes and unlimited night/weekends with free long distance to anywhere in the country. I can also roam for free in the western region (I forgot exactly which states).
I think they also offer a plan for 39.99 which only offers 700 peak and still unlimited night/weekends.

Good idea. I'm sticking to Verizon too with my v60c with the software upgrade that I did last week to match everything on the new v60i(c) internally. I think you have the Anytime 1000 plan which means that if you got the plan in California, it's Nevada and California only for free roaming. I have National Single Rate 400 for $55.00 for 400 minutes but I can roam anywhere in the US for free and free long distance plus 2000 weekend minutes and 400 anytime minutes. The Anytime 1000 plan is actually $55.00 since it's $5 for the free long distance option while the Anytime 700 is $45.00 with the free long distance option. I'm thinking about the America Choice Plan since it offers more minutes and I rarely travel anyways and if I do, it's to Florida or Dallas or Hawaii so I'm pretty much covered and I'll get the unlimited weeknight/weekend option as well. I guess Verizon or AT&T is still the safest and less risky when you want a phone that works when you need it. In Oregon, AT&T is better than Verizon though.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Note for potential buyers...

T-mobile is leasing tower 'space' from Cingular predominantly so coverage and reception will be about what Cingular gets...I areas in SoCal (which is all the experience I have) Cingular is one of the poorer carriers in terms of reception but other people may have different opinions/experiences.

One of my acquantances owns (in part) a small chain of cell phone stores in SoCal and warned me away from T-mobile due the factors mentioned above. T's service could turn out to be really good or it could turn out to suck big time..until I find out, I'm staying with Verizon and At&T which have the best coverage in my experience.

IgorTs

Dec 4, 2001
Finally cingular will have a competitor. much better plans, great CS.
I used P-280 phone with cingular for some time and it has T-Mobile startup logo.
I will switch as soon as my contract will end.

db

Lifer
Dec 6, 1999
I looked long and hard at this 8 days ago, and finally decided to wait.
Right now it still can't beat what my daughter has, considering all the n/w and pcs-pcs minutes she uses:
600 anytime
1000 pcs to pcs anytime
5400 n/w
etc
$45 (after discount)
(but checking her 'free' email cost major $ last month, cuz of minutes usage) <-- lesson learned the hard way.

ynotravid

Jun 20, 2002

I'm in the east bay and I've used a bunch of different providers and only Verizon has had great signal. Be carefull though cuz yer phone plays a big part in the quality of the signal.
I just switched to Cingular cuz Verizon has THE absolute worst customer service out of all the providers. My past experiences were reconfirmed by a survey reported on the channel 2 news.
But then again they are the only provider (except maybe expensive Nextel) that has great signal in the east bay.