Discussion 2024 USA Election Thread: Biden and Dems might have problems in 2024 swing states - The Gaza Issue

Page 93 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Well good thing the VP doesn't have the power to do any of those things.

yeah, you've already forgotten dick cheney/don't know anything about US politics because you've never lived here.

You think Trump with his pusbrain is more difficult to manipulate than Dubya? lol.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Nate moving from a "numbers guy" to sub-replacement level punditry was pretty predictable. His political advice has been astoundingly terrible.

Reactions: Brainonska511

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Looks the campaign's efforts to boost the ticket via Harris may be paying some dividends. Age concerns or a lack of enthusiasm about Biden himself could be viewed as less of an issue for minority voters if she can favorably raise her profile which appears to be at least somewhat working.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...voter-trust-in-2024-election-swing-state-poll

Kamala Harris Is Gaining Swing-State Voters' Trust to Step In for Biden​

Vice President Kamala Harris is increasingly endearing herself to swing-state voters, a development that if it persists, stands to neutralize Republican attacks around Joe Biden’s age.
Nearly half of swing-state voters, 48%, say they trust Harris to fulfill the duties of the presidency if Biden were no longer able to serve, according to a Bloomberg News/Morning Consult poll conducted in early May. The reading marks the highest level of confidence since the survey was first conducted in October.
In recent months, Harris — the first woman, Black or Asian vice president — has held a series of high-profile events that resonate with key parts of the Democratic base. They include a historic visit to a Minnesota abortion clinic, a nod to the rollback of federal reproductive rights that has galvanized women voters, and an impassioned speech at the Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama, a landmark of the Civil Rights era. Harris and the administration have also leaned into detailing her personal arc and record in public office.

Republicans have sought to attack Biden’s fitness for a second term by casting her as unprepared to take his place. Polling shows voters are more concerned about the fitness of Biden, 81, for office than Donald Trump, four years younger at 77.
“It would be foolish to think that voters aren’t thinking a little more about who the vice president is and whether she’s capable of taking over,” said political scientist Christopher Devine, who co-authored a book about vice presidential candidates.

Warming sentiment toward Harris was on display at a recent stop in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, a key swing state. During an on-stage interview with the vice president, comedian D.L. Hughley unexpectedly apologized.
“I have to say that I’m sorry,” Hughley told Harris. “I had let a media narrative co-opt my perspective, and I think that tends to happen with women and people of color.”
Hughley, who met privately with Harris in November, explained that he was critical of her time as a prosecutor in California, where he grew up and Harris spent her early political career. But, he said, “some of the things that I have subsequently come to learn about you, not only make me proud of you, but make me be an advocate.”

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 8.28.17 AM.png

• Love
Reactions: Fenixgoon
Dec 10, 2005
Love all the people screaming to replace Harris with someone else. Think of the great optics that would have: replacing the Black woman VP with some white person.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Love all the people screaming to replace Harris with someone else. Think of the great optics that would have: replacing the Black woman VP with some white person.

I'm presently lighting a candle for the wish that Trump picks Rick Scott for his VP.

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Looks the campaign's efforts to boost the ticket via Harris may be paying some dividends. Age concerns or a lack of enthusiasm about Biden himself could be viewed as less of an issue for minority voters if she can favorably raise her profile which appears to be at least somewhat working.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...voter-trust-in-2024-election-swing-state-poll

Kamala Harris Is Gaining Swing-State Voters' Trust to Step In for Biden​

View attachment 99676
But I don't know people like Boomer and geek tell me Kamala is a fucking idiot of the highest order but absolutely can't tell me why. This can't be happening!

Reactions: hal2kilo

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Could argue that Biden's campaign needs to make sure this is widely known. Though it would be a strange kind of campaign message - "hey look, he's even more opposed to the safety and wellbeing of your extended families than I am".

Don't really know how one would go about making that point to the necessary audience and yet it remains true.

Donald Trump has told a group of wealthy donors that he will crush pro-Palestinian protests on university campuses if he is returned to the White House.

The former president and presumptive Republican nominee called the demonstrations against Israel’s war in Gaza part of a “radical revolution” and promised the predominantly Jewish donors that he would set the movement back 25 or 30 years if they helped him beat Joe Biden in November’s presidential election.

Reactions: hal2kilo and Racan

iRONic

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2006
yeah, you've already forgotten dick cheney/don't know anything about US politics because you've never lived here.
Wait, what?! The diaper king is not an American citizen?! Are you bullshitting me?

JFC… such an irrelevant pussy.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
yeah, this one hasn't said it/revealed it specifically that I recall. He's either a true quisling or he plays one on the internet, because he speaks the same language of our crowd from St Petersburg.

This is a textbook Biden cult response. Present anything unflattering about Biden or point out his cratering numbers on...just about anything...and get called a Russian. At least @brycejones gets a chuckle out of the crowd. C'mon man, do better.

Tell me - why would it be so bad for Biden to pull out in August if he continues to flop all summer long? Yes it would be chaos but better than walking into a sure defeat in November. At least give us a chance. He gave us a chance in 2020, and we should all be grateful for it. But now he needs to do the right thing (should have already) and step aside.

I'm sure the DNC's internal polling/data already shows this, so let's see how their language changes over the next couple of months.

• Haha
Reactions: iRONic

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
"THE GOP IS FAVORED to narrowly win a trifecta in the race for the White House and both houses of Congress in a newly released Decision Desk HQ/The Hill forecast model. The model currently gives Trump a 58 percent chance of winning the presidency, showing him with slight leads in most of the key swing states. It more comfortably favors the GOP in Congress, giving the party a 79 percent chance of winning the Senate and a 64 percent chance of holding onto a majority in the House. But The Hill’s Jared Gans reports that with the election still more than five months away, the percentages will change as new data comes out and Election Day approaches."

Yes...lots of time still left. For Biden to change course and pull out.

I had long thought the Dems were a lock to retake the House...this is the first projection I've seen of the opposite. Perhaps we're seeing cratering across the board for anyone associating with Biden. This makes sense, as quite a few of the recent special election wins by Dems (Tom Suozzi comes to mind) where when they distanced themselves from Biden or at least went out of their way to not even mention him.

I had assumed Dems winning the House would mitigate somewhat the impact of Project 2025. If GOP takes full control, well, you know. I wonder if we'll look back at Biden remaining in the race in the same light as RBG refusing to retire - both actions cemented GOP control in their respective branches of government. GG.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
"THE GOP IS FAVORED to narrowly win a trifecta in the race for the White House and both houses of Congress in a newly released Decision Desk HQ/The Hill forecast model. The model currently gives Trump a 58 percent chance of winning the presidency, showing him with slight leads in most of the key swing states. It more comfortably favors the GOP in Congress, giving the party a 79 percent chance of winning the Senate and a 64 percent chance of holding onto a majority in the House. But The Hill’s Jared Gans reports that with the election still more than five months away, the percentages will change as new data comes out and Election Day approaches."

Yes...lots of time still left. For Biden to change course and pull out.

I had long thought the Dems were a lock to retake the House...this is the first projection I've seen of the opposite. Perhaps we're seeing cratering across the board for anyone associating with Biden. This makes sense, as quite a few of the recent special election wins by Dems (Tom Suozzi comes to mind) where when they distanced themselves from Biden or at least went out of their way to not even mention him.

I had assumed Dems winning the House would mitigate somewhat the impact of Project 2025. If GOP takes full control, well, you know. I wonder if we'll look back at Biden remaining in the race in the same light as RBG refusing to retire - both actions cemented GOP control in their respective branches of government. GG.

I like how you followed up a post saying Trump is headed for certain victory with one that said he had a 58% chance of victory and didn’t seem to notice any discrepancy there. Lol.

Remember when your genius electoral prediction was that Republicans would win more than 100% of available Senate seats and then instead the Democrats picked seats up?

Have you given any thought as to why your predictions are always so ludicrously and predictably wrong?

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
I like how you followed up a post saying Trump is headed for certain victory with one that said he had a 58% chance of victory and didn’t seem to notice any discrepancy there. Lol.

Remember when your genius electoral prediction was that Republicans would win more than 100% of available Senate seats and then instead the Democrats picked seats up?

Have you given any thought as to why your predictions are always so ludicrously and predictably wrong?

They estimated 58% as things stand today.

I said if he continues to crater this summer, then yes, those odds for Trump only go much higher. Biden would be looking at defeat.

Again, just look for the DNC's language over the next couple of months, and see if they continue to provide full throated support for him. Their internal numbers are likely worse than anything we'll see.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
They estimated 58% as things stand today.

I said if he continues to crater this summer, then yes, those odds for Trump only go much higher. Biden would be looking at defeat.

Again, just look for the DNC's language over the next couple of months, and see if they continue to provide full throated support for him. Their internal numbers are likely worse than anything we'll see.
Funny how when Biden was rated at having a much higher probability of winning in 2020 you were deeply pessimistic about it, constantly filling your diaper about his impending loss. Then in 2022 your diaper was positively overflowing where you convinced yourself that Republicans would do the logically impossible and win more than 100% of available seats.

Again, have you considered why you are always wrong and your predictions are always wrong in the exact same direction?

Like do you realize how much money someone could make in the elections prediction business by betting on exactly the opposite of anything you say?

• Haha
Reactions: gothuevos