2.5 inch HDD in 3.5 inch enclosure

abungas

Dec 2, 2017
I know this may be a strange question, but I am wondering if it's okay to install a laptop HDD into a USB enclosure intended for full sized drives.

I presume it is as you know sata power and data connectors are standard. My concern is that the 3.5 enclosure is powered with 12 volts, which IIRC 2.5 drives are only 5 volt.

I know what some will say, why don't I install it sata? But I have none free and my case is a nightmare

Edit: I had my sizes mixed up

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I have a 2.5" HDD installed in a larger enclosure that supports 3.5" drives a well. It shouldn't be a problem at all, but since I have no idea who makes your enclosure (it could be one you bought in a back alley for $1 for all I know), so I don't want to say you are 100% safe. But odds are it will be fine.

abungas

Dec 2, 2017
Thanks for responding. It's an Orico brand and I paid about US$20 two years ago.

I just realised I had the wrong sizes in my first post. Just for clarification, I'm talking about putting a laptop HDD in an enclosure meant for desktop HDD.

I'm going to look into the SATA power pinout and if there's differences in 2.5 & 3.5 and weather or not I'll be zapping the disk with 12v

Feb 25, 2011
The voltage difference won't be a problem. 12v and 5v are supplied on different pins, and the 2.5" HDDs don't connect to the 12v pins at all. (The PSU for the enclosure should provide both voltages on the appropriate lines.)