18 per cent “man tax” as well as giving women priority over seating.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
When I was trolling the bars it was common practice to only have a cover charge for the guys only. I NEVER resented this.... in fact, once they were in I was buying as many girls drinks as I could. Bottom line, I wanted as many drunk girls as possible at the same bar as me. I take it you preferred to have more guys at the bar with you than girls. If that is the way you swing there are PLENTY of bars that inhabited mostly by men.

So what you are saying is that you have to get girls drunk in order to get laid.

Got it.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Republicans are a party of grievance, not governance. When they are put in power and position to do something, they don't know what to do and move on to grievances outside of their control. That's why they are more concerned with Charlie Gard in UK than our own country's third world levels of infant mortality. And "man tax" in Australia instead of American men dying from preventable diseases.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
look at this sensitive alt right militia man. We should all be going to class to learn how to be sensitive to the rural white male.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Sure, have a laugh ol dinosaur, not much else old dinos have left in this world, so have at it.
It is evident that the cards are stacked against the female part of the population on multiple levels, expenses towards feminine hygiene products is just one, agreeable minor one.
Using this *fact* to justify a 18% man tax goes back to that old saying that two wrongs dont make a right.
On the other hand if the owner is this feminist activist that is using the 18 percenter to raise awareness then that is what it is, an act of protest, nothing more nothing less. If you get your knickers in a bunch over that then you're proving her point.
It always comes back to this construct that all people are equal race and gender included. That means that women are given equal oppertunity (and pay) to lay bricks just as you have the same the same rights as her to the kids in a divorce even if you cant produce the milk.

Blame nature or evolution...

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
It's funny how sensitive pcgeek is and at the same time calling liberals sensitive. I guess it's true we throw insults we fear at our enemies

You must be scared to death of me then if that is the measure.
LOL

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
look at this sensitive alt right militia man. We should all be going to class to learn how to be sensitive to the rural white male.

Where did I say anything about white, black, red or yellow?

Well now that we all have exposed the hypocrites.... We can move on.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
That is a nonsense statement. Who gets charged several hundred dollars a year just to leave home?

Well, not several hundred (sorry about that), but each box of tampons typically costs $9-10 a pack after tax. You might get to stretch those, but it depends on whether you're doing anything active or have.... stronger-than-usual needs. That doesn't sound like much, but remember: if women want to leave home when they're on their period, they typically have to use two or more tampons every day... for several days a month, every month, for decades.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Well, not several hundred (sorry about that), but each box of tampons typically costs $9-10 a pack after tax. You might get to stretch those, but it depends on whether you're doing anything active or have.... stronger-than-usual needs. That doesn't sound like much, but remember: if women want to leave home when they're on their period, they typically have to use two or more tampons every day... for several days a month, every month, for decades.

Well they can blame mother nature for that... I suppose cramps and PMS are men's fault too. Jump through some more hoops.

Nov 25, 2013
Would you say the same if they charged Gays more? How about if they charged women more would that be OK too?

How about if they refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding. There are alternative bakeries right?
are you being hypocritical? Yes, you are.

EDIT: added a comma

Nobody is actually being "charged more". It's voluntary.

In case you missed it the 1st time, the article that you linked left out the following information:

"One week out of every month we have an 18 per cent premium for men which is the same as the gender pay gap," Ms O'Brien said."

"The tax is optional but so far, none of the cafe's male customers have refused to pay it."

"If men don't want to pay it, we're not going to kick them out the door. It's just an opportunity to do some good," Ms O'Brien said."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/36612230/melbournes-handsome-her-cafe-charges-men-more/#page1

And the money collected through this voluntary action is donated to a charity for abused Aboriginal women and kids

So, what's your issue again?

Last edited:
Reactions: bshole and ch33zw1z

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Nobody is actually being "charged more". It's voluntary.

In case you missed it the 1st time the article that you linked left out the following information:

"One week out of every month we have an 18 per cent premium for men which is the same as the gender pay gap," Ms O'Brien said."

"The tax is optional but so far, none of the cafe's male customers have refused to pay it."

"If men don't want to pay it, we're not going to kick them out the door. It's just an opportunity to do some good," Ms O'Brien said."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/36612230/melbournes-handsome-her-cafe-charges-men-more/#page1

And the money collected through this voluntary action is donated to a charity for abused Aboriginal women and kids

I saw that in a much later post that it was optional. No I didn't read every article on the internet about it. That being said the original article stated:

The feminist vegan owner of Handsome Her eatery in Melbourne, Australia, is making them pay an 18 per cent “man tax” as well as giving women priority over seating.

It sounds like they are backing off the original idea to me. As the sign which there is a picture of clearly states nothing about optional...

Still sexist.

Nov 25, 2013
I saw that in a much later post that it was optional. No I didn't read every article on the internet about it. That being said the original article stated:

The feminist vegan owner of Handsome Her eatery in Melbourne, Australia, is making them pay an 18 per cent “man tax” as well as giving women priority over seating.

It sounds like they are backing off the original idea to me. As the sign which there is a picture of clearly states nothing about optional...

Still sexist.

No, it sounds like The Sun, a known tabloid of low repute, published an article that left out some very pertinent information about the situation. It also sounds like you are incapable of acknowledging that the situation is nothing like you thought it was even when presented with that excluded information.

I'll let you get back to clutching your pearls now. Watch out for the vapours though. Nasty business that.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
No, it sounds like The Sun, a known tabloid of low repute, published an article that left out some very pertinent information about the situation. It also sounds like you are incapable of acknowledging that the situation is nothing like you thought it was even when presented with that excluded information.

I'll let you get back to clutching your pearls now. Watch out for the vapours though. Nasty business that.

LOL. I know nothing about the "Sun". I acknowledged the "correction".

That doesn't make it proper and is still sexist. After all we know women can't be sexist right.............

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
I my opinion it is illegal in the US to charge more based only on sex. ( I know this is in Australia ) I know all the liberals will support this no matter how wrong it is. The lamest is because they have to pay for fucking tampons and pads. LOL!

You know thats a really funny thing to say......

In Australia female sanitary products are subject to sales tax but pretty much all other essential items are GST free. Its long been a contentious point.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Blame nature or evolution...
I think you are missing the big picture, here is what I believe to be an undeniable fact. If we, everyone, do not share equal rights *in everything*, it all goes to shit at some point. Those not in favor *ALWAYS* rises to revolt and revolution so you might as well nip in the butt right now, wether you believe it to be "the right thing" or not... In terms of self preservation : Equal rights. For all.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

- Is an optional tax a tax though? A tax is something that when not paid all hell breaks loose at some point, IMO. So its not a tax, its an incitament to pay a dollar to a subjectively deemed good course.

But it is really a loose loose proporsition for men, you got two choices
1. Admit your man guilt by paying the "tax".
2. Be subject for ridicule for not following the local lore, whatever.
I guess either you should be able to enjoy humorous act(and pay) or dont go there at all.
You could launch a counter protest, gather a group of men to go eat there and have none of them pay the tax... If one really think this is an important issue that needs to be delt with.

Edit : What about all those "all you can eat buffets"? Can we agree that women pay more for the same service as men here? With a loose definition of tax we can call this the "Woman Buffet Tax" and should be well above the 18% mark anyway.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Why is it when someone disagrees with you it is called a "rant". I was only pointing out that it is sexist, oh and stupid...

No you went beyond that in several posts making up reasons "liberals" would be ok with it. You created this thread to once again whine about imaginary liberals.

Last edited:
Reactions: ch33zw1z

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Hmm... So every time I went to a bar in my 20's where they charged a cover charge for MEN and not WOMEN I was supposed to get infused with R A G E ? ? ? ? ?

Nah, up to my armpits in inebriated pv$$y seemed like a fair return on my investment back then. Have times changed?

Is the OP sure he is not a limp wristed beta liberal?

Fox news has an opening.

Reactions: umbrella39

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Fox news has an opening.
Are you sure? It seems to me like the openings are actually closing and as a consequence, in search for the forbidden openings, the male talent is freaking out in so many ways that gets you laid off rather than just laid. *shrugs*. No, as a provider of openings I dont see Fox offering much of the sort.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Well they can blame mother nature for that... I suppose cramps and PMS are men's fault too. Jump through some more hoops.

Didn't say it was men's fault, just that this is half of the human race and that we've strangely decided that women should just have this extra, mandatory expense for most of their adult lives. I'll bet that, if men bled several days out of every month instead of women, you'd be complaining that women were freeloaders who weren't sharing in the costs of a functioning society.

Last edited:

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
LOL. I know nothing about the "Sun". I acknowledged the "correction".

That doesn't make it proper and is still sexist. After all we know women can't be sexist right.............

Oh for fucks sake... this seriously bugs you? Grow a pair...

Reactions: Meghan54

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Are you sure? It seems to me like the openings are actually closing and as a consequence, in search for the forbidden openings, the male talent is freaking out in so many ways that gets you laid off rather than just laid. *shrugs*. No, as a provider of openings I dont see Fox offering much of the sort.

Simply trying to inject some levity into an otherwise dumb thread.