18 per cent “man tax” as well as giving women priority over seating.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I'm sorry, but if you really believe women are equal, you accommodate their biological functions

You want more benefits and less work for the same pay?

Oh, I'll add that the Washington Post article did a great job of surmising the problems of using a mindless stat.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Literally who gives a shit? With all that's going on in this country, how could you possibly get riled up about what is going on in some single cafe in Australia?

Equal Pay is definitely a drum beat and a dog whistle frequently used here in America during campaigns.
Single issue voters who get these delusions of being slighted by others will eat it up and vote for whoever sings this tune.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Story about a single restaurant in Australia reported by a U.K. tabloid prompts the op to create this thread ranting about 'liberals' what dark corner of the internet is this the outrage of the day in?

Reactions: WelshBloke

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Single reason articles like this exist is to anger and divide the people who'd otherwise be content with their lives.

Vegan cafe? I'm not Vegan, so are most men, so it doesn't matter.

Australia? Canada here. So everyone who lives outside doesn't need to care about the article.

If you believe this woman is bad because of her stance, you can ignore her. I doubt the cafe has menus so life changing that men should care.

Personally I think feminist beliefs are stupid as well, but fortunately they can be ignored if you wish it to be.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Nice. You have a liberal spirit. I would be willing to pay more to eat there because I can. I have at least 18% more money than most women. My mMother was also a woman. Thanks Mom, for me. I owe you everything, not just 18%. Of course if I were suffering from massive self hate, this 18% thingi would bug the shit out of me. Poor poor me, I suffer so from white male abuse.

What bugs me are people rushing to create bias and inequality under the guise equal outcome. If someone is going to create a topic on the subject I may as well chime in to express my position. But when it comes to election(s) I'll grit my teeth and accept that my candidates are far from perfect. For me this is hardly an issue worth voting over, at least until someone campaigns to tax me 18% more than others.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
What bugs me are people rushing to create bias and inequality under the guise equal outcome

Crazies exist everywhere in the world. She just happened to be on a news article. I understand the rationale for people supporting feminism, but they usually take it to the other extreme.

It never was about equality.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
You want more benefits and less work for the same pay?

Again, you're treating male as the default, where any different care is merely a perk. Think of it more as giving women the same economic opportunities as men. Instead of having to decide between the illustrious career and a child, they can have both like men already do. Letting a woman take several months' paid time off once or twice in her life is not going to spark an economic disaster.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Melbourne.. beautiful place.

Way the fuck better than inbred rural fucktown America.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Again, you're treating male as the default, where any different care is merely a perk. Think of it more as giving women the same economic opportunities as men. Instead of having to decide between the illustrious career and a child, they can have both like men already do. Letting a woman take several months' paid time off once or twice in her life is not going to spark an economic disaster.

What I'm hearing is you want equal pay for different work.

From there we'll just have to agree to disagree. The Washington Post did a great job explaining all the details and nuances, and concluded how it may be a 5% gap with all things considered. To which I have to politely shrug.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
What bar did you pay an 18% tax just for being a man?

They should be sued for being sexist.

When I was trolling the bars it was common practice to only have a cover charge for the guys only. I NEVER resented this.... in fact, once they were in I was buying as many girls drinks as I could. Bottom line, I wanted as many drunk girls as possible at the same bar as me. I take it you preferred to have more guys at the bar with you than girls. If that is the way you swing there are PLENTY of bars that inhabited mostly by men.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Can you do a 200% gay tax, Muslim tax or Asian tax? Can't imagine this is going to be allowed to stand for long.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
While I am enjoying all the pearl clutching from our conservative contingent let's use the standard conservative justifications for sexism against women to explain this blatant sexism against men. I'm sure it will help them feel just as good as women and minorities do when used on them.

The pseudo scientific argument:
Just like Jasklas is arguing the average woman takes a lower paying job the average woman eats 20% less than the average man. So shouldn't men pay more?

The faith based arguement:
If her faith demands men be treated as second class citizens who are we to force her to change her faith.

The capitalist arguement:
If this really a problem shouldn't we let the market handle it. We shouldn't ask for government intervention.

What did I miss?

Reactions: TheVrolok
Nov 25, 2013
Has anybody seem this crap. Holy sexist.

I guess it doesn't have a huge impact as real men don't eat at vegan cafes anyway.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4176712/men-tax-pay-more-melbourne-cafe/

The feminist vegan owner of Handsome Her eatery in Melbourne, Australia, is making them pay an 18 per cent “man tax” as well as giving women priority over seating.

Owner Alex O’Brien told Broadsheet website: “I do want people to think about it, because we’ve had this (pay discrepancy) for decades and decades and we’re bringing it to the forefront of people’s minds.

“I like that it is making men stop and question their privilege a little bit.”

Next time you're in Australia you should make a point of stopping by and letting that business owner know that she's lost your business.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Not a good business model, but it's their business. If they want to make a Social Comment, I'm ok with it, just wouldn't ever go there. Mainly because I'm not a vegetarian, but also because I'll save 18% anywhere else.

Like wedding cakes for gays I guess.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
It's a great gimmick and nice advertisement for a vegan cafe in a town filled with them, all this faux outrage is hilarious.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
OP thinks all should be treated equally from a private business? If so, I agree. Same service and prices for EVERYONE.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
While I am enjoying all the pearl clutching from our conservative contingent let's use the standard conservative justifications for sexism against women to explain this blatant sexism against men. I'm sure it will help them feel just as good as women and minorities do when used on them.

The pseudo scientific argument:
Just like Jasklas is arguing the average woman takes a lower paying job the average woman eats 20% less than the average man. So shouldn't men pay more?

The faith based arguement:
If her faith demands men be treated as second class citizens who are we to force her to change her faith.

The capitalist arguement:
If this really a problem shouldn't we let the market handle it. We shouldn't ask for government intervention.

What did I miss?
I'm ok with any of those, but it should apply to everyone. Substitute 'black', 'gay', or any other favored class of people for 'men', and if your opinion changes, you're a piece of shit. It's really that simple.

Nov 25, 2013
To help sooth all the pearl clutchers frayed nerves here's some information that was left out of the original article.

"One week out of every month we have an 18 per cent premium for men which is the same as the gender pay gap," Ms O'Brien said."

"The tax is optional but so far, none of the cafe's male customers have refused to pay it."

"If men don't want to pay it, we're not going to kick them out the door. It's just an opportunity to do some good," Ms O'Brien said."

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/36612230/melbournes-handsome-her-cafe-charges-men-more/#page1