18 per cent “man tax” as well as giving women priority over seating.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I knew someone would trot that out. It's not what I'm getting at.

I said that women have a hard time getting jobs equal to men, not that they aren't being paid as well as men when they do (although even this is occasionally untrue -- there are some actresses who'd beg to differ, for example). Think about boy's clubs where men tend to hire other men; think about ostracization and harassment that push women out of roles prematurely; think about girls being discouraged from entering STEM programs because they're supposedly not as good at math and science as the boys. And of course, think about having to settle for a lower-paying job to support a new child.

Also, you do realize that you're treating male biology as a default, right? You gripe about women wanting more healthcare and more flexibility than "other workers," but who are these other workers? Oh, right. Men to you are the norm, and all women are outliers. I'm sorry, but if you really believe women are equal, you accommodate their biological functions -- you don't act as if pregnancy and menstruation are strange occurrences, or that it's somehow fine for women to assume they'll take a pay cut the moment they start a family.

This is true.

And I really don't care about a cafe in Australia (though, in passing, I wonder where the 18% surcharge ends up...does it effectively lower the prices for the women customers or does it just become extra profit for the cafe owner? The spirit of the idea would surely mean it ought to be the former, while the latter doesn't seem right - "help gender equality by giving extra money to one business owner who happens to be a woman"...or they could just donate it to women's refuges or such like, which would avoid that problem).

The only thing about the pay gap figure that bugs me a bit is you don't often seem to hear the same statistic calculated the same way for other forms of disadvantage. e.g. how much less a black person will be paid than a white person, or someone from a poor uneducated background vs someone born to elite parents, etc. It only seems to be for gender that the stat is quoted frequently.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I my opinion it is illegal in the US to charge more based only on sex. ( I know this is in Australia ) I know all the liberals will support this no matter how wrong it is. The lamest is because they have to pay for fucking tampons and pads. LOL!

Yup. I support it. And add 2% for white males.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I my opinion it is illegal in the US to charge more based only on sex. ( I know this is in Australia ) I know all the liberals will support this no matter how wrong it is. The lamest is because they have to pay for fucking tampons and pads. LOL!

Sure, have a laugh ol dinosaur, not much else old dinos have left in this world, so have at it.
It is evident that the cards are stacked against the female part of the population on multiple levels, expenses towards feminine hygiene products is just one, agreeable minor one.
Using this *fact* to justify a 18% man tax goes back to that old saying that two wrongs dont make a right.
On the other hand if the owner is this feminist activist that is using the 18 percenter to raise awareness then that is what it is, an act of protest, nothing more nothing less. If you get your knickers in a bunch over that then you're proving her point.
It always comes back to this construct that all people are equal race and gender included. That means that women are given equal oppertunity (and pay) to lay bricks just as you have the same the same rights as her to the kids in a divorce even if you cant produce the milk.

Reactions: MajinCry

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
What bugs me are people rushing to create bias and inequality under the guise equal outcome. If someone is going to create a topic on the subject I may as well chime in to express my position. But when it comes to election(s) I'll grit my teeth and accept that my candidates are far from perfect. For me this is hardly an issue worth voting over, at least until someone campaigns to tax me 18% more than others.
I think the intent was to raise awareness. The extra cost creates that. I like it.

Nov 25, 2013
This is true.

And I really don't care about a cafe in Australia (though, in passing, I wonder where the 18% surcharge ends up...does it effectively lower the prices for the women customers or does it just become extra profit for the cafe owner? The spirit of the idea would surely mean it ought to be the former, while the latter doesn't seem right - "help gender equality by giving extra money to one business owner who happens to be a woman"...or they could just donate it to women's refuges or such like, which would avoid that problem).

Not hard to find out. From the original article:

"The extra money will be donated to the Elizabeth Morgan House which supports Aboriginal women and children."

Reactions: MajinCry

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Has anybody seem this crap. Holy sexist.

I guess it doesn't have a huge impact as real men don't eat at vegan cafes anyway.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4176712/men-tax-pay-more-melbourne-cafe/

The feminist vegan owner of Handsome Her eatery in Melbourne, Australia, is making them pay an 18 per cent “man tax” as well as giving women priority over seating.

Owner Alex O’Brien told Broadsheet website: “I do want people to think about it, because we’ve had this (pay discrepancy) for decades and decades and we’re bringing it to the forefront of people’s minds.

“I like that it is making men stop and question their privilege a little bit.”

Hmm... So every time I went to a bar in my 20's where they charged a cover charge for MEN and not WOMEN I was supposed to get infused with R A G E ? ? ? ? ?

Nah, up to my armpits in inebriated pv$$y seemed like a fair return on my investment back then. Have times changed?

Is the OP sure he is not a limp wristed beta liberal?

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Hmm... So every time I went to a bar in my 20's where they charged a cover charge for MEN and not WOMEN I was supposed to get infused with R A G E ? ? ? ? ?

Nah, up to my armpits in inebriated pv$$y seemed like a fair return on my investment back then. Have times changed?

Is the OP sure he is not a limp wristed beta liberal?

lol if you think any of these cuck snowflake alt righters have ever been to a club.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Not hard to find out. From the original article:

"The extra money will be donated to the Elizabeth Morgan House which supports Aboriginal women and children."

Fair enough, guess that answers my question (am not keen on clicking on links to The Sun!)

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Has anybody seem this crap. Holy sexist.

I guess it doesn't have a huge impact as real men don't eat at vegan cafes anyway.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/4176712/men-tax-pay-more-melbourne-cafe/

The feminist vegan owner of Handsome Her eatery in Melbourne, Australia, is making them pay an 18 per cent “man tax” as well as giving women priority over seating.

Owner Alex O’Brien told Broadsheet website: “I do want people to think about it, because we’ve had this (pay discrepancy) for decades and decades and we’re bringing it to the forefront of people’s minds.

“I like that it is making men stop and question their privilege a little bit.”
More hard, direct evidence that Christian white men are the biggest victims on the planet!

Some podunk cafe located on an chunk of rock that is mostly uninhabited, has a surcharge for men.

Holy. Fuck.

Meanwhile, here in the US...

Ladies night at bars and clubs, and the cultural normalcy of men buying womens' drinks, is, uh, I guess proof that "real men" are caught paying extra at public houses simply for being men, after all.

Or something. As long as it is more direct proof that Christian white men are still the biggest victims on the planet.

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
It's illegal in the US, as well it should be. But this is a business decision for the owner. Why? Because 80% of vegans are women.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/01/vegan-woman-lifestyle_n_5063565.html

This isn't about food. If you want to attract people to your vegan cafe it doesn't make sense to potentially alienate 20% of your customers. You might just want to make the best vegan food possible and go after 100% of the market.

I'm guessing the owner envisions her business as an edgy, lesbian focused community center of sorts, which is fine. The surcharge seems misguided though and will probably backfire as these things tend to do when you don't stay focused and positive.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
It's funny how sensitive pcgeek is and at the same time calling liberals sensitive. I guess it's true we throw insults we fear at our enemies

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Hey, let's try charging you several hundred dollars a year just to be able to leave your home and see how you feel.

That is a nonsense statement. Who gets charged several hundred dollars a year just to leave home?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Good thing about fair capitalism people have alternatives. If a vegetable goes up in price there are usually alternatives.

When people are beholden to a single source product they are held hostage. Not much of a story absent feign outrage.

Would you say the same if they charged Gays more? How about if they charged women more would that be OK too?

How about if they refused to bake a cake for a gay wedding. There are alternative bakeries right?
are you being hypocritical? Yes, you are.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Whoa, trigger. Easy there.

Getting your panties in a wad over someone making a statement will never end well.

Put down the Bloom Axe.

I don't wear panties, but my drawers are not in a wad either. I only posted this to bring out all of the hypocrites. Looks like it is working.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Story about a single restaurant in Australia reported by a U.K. tabloid prompts the op to create this thread ranting about 'liberals' what dark corner of the internet is this the outrage of the day in?

Why is it when someone disagrees with you it is called a "rant". I was only pointing out that it is sexist, oh and stupid...