16th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Race: The race is over and the Moonshots win!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Thanks for the stats, @biodoc :)

Once Mark has updated all his systems, with Tony now at full steam, and the cheering gerbils, Mark's Marauders will be a very tough opponent for the Moonshot Gang :) Very exciting race so far!
Well, the first one I tried today I decided to try mint 20. Problem is, you can't install fahcontrol, due to python issues. The web says unfixable, so tomorrow, I will reformat back to 19.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Code:
sudo apt install python-gobject-2
sudo apt install python-cairo
wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/p/python-gtk2_2.24.0-5.1ubuntu2_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i python-gtk2_2.24.0-5.1ubuntu2_amd64.deb
sudo apt-get install -f

I think the python-gtk2 line has to be updated to the newest version because this info is a year old. But try it if you want to and let us know what happens.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Code:
wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/p/python-gtk2_2.24.0-5.1ubuntu2_amd64.deb
sudo apt-get install -f

I think the python-gtk2 line has to be updated to the newest version because this info is a year old. But try it if you want to and let us know what happens.
DAMN ! Thanks. Every research I did on the web said it could not be fixed. Here is a screenshot. Went from about 1m to 1.8m. 4 more to go !
1638930868899.png

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Talk about peer pressure... Mark completes a software update and outdoes my total output from the update alone....

"I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate" :)

There is always next year?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Talk about peer pressure... Mark completes a software update and outdoes my total output from the update alone....

"I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate", "I shall not be inadequate" :)

There is always next year?
Hey I have been doing this for 15-20 years, and I have a lot of hardware (that I sometimes need help with)

Stay in and have some fun, I can't do this by myself !

Edit: I just looked it up.... You are doing 3.3m ppd average.... Don't give me that crap.....

Reactions: cellarnoise

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
Sometimes a copious amount of bullsheet is my "software" update!

The past 2 years during the colder northern climate time, I do enjoy this team's challenges. Gives me something to look forward to and to plan for hardware upgrades. So much to learn about these challenges and projects ;)

Reactions: Markfw

Markfw

May 16, 2002
What I can say, without exaggerating, is that starting at 39 million ppd, I have gone up several million ppd by just driver updates. My current total is for 12 video cards(not sure they are all updated). I don't have that many more to update.

But then there is the 3070TI coming online next week....

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
Well, the first one I tried today I decided to try mint 20. Problem is, you can't install fahcontrol, due to python issues. The web says unfixable, so tomorrow, I will reformat back to 19.
Good that it's fixed, thanks to @crashtech :) One question out of curiosity. Why do you need fahcontrol on the system? I just install fahclient, and do everything else remotely from the same workstation BoincTasks is running on.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Good that it's fixed, thanks to @crashtech :) One question out of curiosity. Why do you need fahcontrol on the system? I just install fahclient, and do everything else remotely from the same workstation BoincTasks is running on.
without fahcontrol, I can't configure the slots, or enable remote monitoring or anything. I use fahcontrol for all control of F@H, boinctasks only works for BOINC projects.

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
without fahcontrol, I can't configure the slots, or enable remote monitoring or anything. I use fahcontrol for all control of F@H, boinctasks only works for BOINC projects.
Yeah, but you can do all that remotely too. I have fahcontrol on the remote workstation. You can configure a port and a password for remote access for each fahclient instance. Also, you can configure the slots from the CLI. If you're interested, I can the post or send you how to do it.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Back in 2016 when I first got into DC, all computers which I could use for Folding could not run FAHControl either. I found it easy enough to get FAHClient up and running by writing my own config.xml back then. (Or actually, to create a functioning initial config.xml with fahclient and edit it later for less essential options, IIRC.) But I was folding on CPUs only at that time, didn't have any usable GPUs at all.

I used FAHControl on Linux later when I had some Linux machines which could run it, but now I don't have it on any of my Linux computers (just on one rarely used Windows laptop), despite the existence of the workaround which @crashtech posted.

Last edited:

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
Yeah, I don't install it too. Also, the system is "headless" anyway (for Linux). So, CLI only ;)

On the client machine, open the CLI, and stop the fahclient (if you installed it with "autostart").
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient stop

Now, edit the config.xml (you might want to check the path, it's from Debian), using nano as an example. I'm also assuming you have the GPUs.txt already on your system.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fahclient/config.xml

Change the GPU flag to true.

Add the following to allow remote access (replace the x.x.x.x with your admin workstation's IP, and xyz with your desired password).
Code:
<allow>127.0.0.1 x.x.x.x</allow>
<password>xyz</password>

Then, configure the advanced option and the slots (if you want to do it right away).
Code:
<client-type value=”advanced”/>
<slot id=”0” type=”GPU”>
   <paused value=”true”/>
</slot>
<slot id=”1” type=”CPU”>
   <paused value=”true”/>
</slot>

I'm setting everything to "paused" so I can do other changes before the system actually starts pulling work. Save, exit editing and restart fahclient.
Code:
sudo /etc/init.d/FAHClient start

Now, you can fire up fahcontrol on your admin workstation and add the system to your client list by specifying its name, port & password. And then, it's all like you know it, just without the fahcontrol on your actual "box".

Last edited:
Reactions: crashtech

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

There is a python 3 version of FAHControl on github which I use. Link for download.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Well Gang, I am pedaling about as fast as I can, except for a brief hiccup. Had a couple of rigs go down overnight shortly after a visit from the grand kids...... ;) .......but other than that............
The way I see it, we are only about a quarter of the way through, and this is still just an "event" until the teams get whole again, and equalized. It should turn into a race then.
We can only do what we can do, so enjoy the holidays. (As much as possible in this day and time.) :)

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I am at half throttle till the time at which it is no longer feasible to get a PG task done.
Then I'll throw the kitchen sink at it.

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
Thanks @biodoc, for another round of stats :)

Wow, @Markfw really has a huge uplift in production due to the new drivers :) Will be interesting for me, personally, how much uplift the old GM200 Titan can achieve. But currently, 460 series drivers is the newest for Debian 11.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
There is a python 3 version of FAHControl on github which I use. Link for download.
I feel like this and perhaps voodoo5_6k's post should be put somewhere that will be easy to find later, perhaps over on TAAT?

Also, after the incident with the Ethernet switch, I went around and optimized everything a little and added half my CPU cores. It looks like I am well in excess of the ~23M I committed to at this time, so maybe I will pull one GPU out for Primegrid...?

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
You need a FahCore for Linux on ARM with Ethernet cluster feature!

(The older fahcore_a7 scales very well across many cores, on dual socket computers at least. I wouldn't be surprised if it still scaled well across more than one node using MPI over GbE. It's a pity that most CPU work seems to be for fahcore_a8 now which is a dud in higher threaded folding slots, last time I checked.)

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
@voodoo5_6k Check the CUDA version you have. If not 11 see if you can add that version.
I may be wrong, but I think it is the CUDA version that makes the difference.