16th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Race: The race is over and the Moonshots win!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I had a network switch stop working sometime yesterday without me noticing, so I will have a big dip in production, two 1070ti's and one 3060 for however many hours it was.

• Wow
Reactions: Markfw

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I had a network switch stop working sometime yesterday without me noticing, so I will have a big dip in production, two 1070ti's and one 3060 for however many hours it was.
Too bad my new 3070TI (and all the parts for the box) won't be here until at least next weekend. Coolermaster has not even replied yet on my AM4 conversion hardware for my 612-2 cooler.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I guess I should be paying more attention, we've been so busy. By the time I noticed a dip in production I was already far away from the problem.

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
@crashtech That's OK, I have spent the greater part of the day with router issues. My production is lacking for the day also. I had to pull my extender and redo all my appliances, resetting all the names, etc. Seems I have 21 various things connected to the router. What a headache to redo all at once.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
@crashtech That's OK, I have spent the greater part of the day with router issues. My production is lacking for the day also. I had to pull my extender and redo all my appliances, resetting all the names, etc. Seems I have 21 various things connected to the router. What a headache to redo all at once.
My router is fine... Unless the power goes out in the house. For some reason, it changes all the IP addresses, so BOINCTASKS requires that I reconfigure every computer for the new IP address. and the BoincTasks master has to have every computers new IP address set also, as well, as FAHControl.

So I know what you mean about router issues.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
When are the teams set? I've learned that I have been sandbagging in multiple ways!

I want to know when I can push my system without hurting whatever team I am on if I fail!

Come on! These rules should be set before the challenge! Unlike bat-sheet examples like the FHCHC.....

I need new shoes, and the attached meme was stolen off the webs. Hope that is o.k. :)

hobbit-memes-lord-of-the-rings-featured.jpg

Last edited:

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
When are the teams set?
Probably around the middle of the month. Some may move all or some of their hardware to the PG challenge which runs 10 days starting the 7th.
I want to know when I can push my system without hurting whatever team I am on if I fail!
It's probably a good idea to hold back some of your hardware and tweaks until the teams are finalized. It's up to you.
These rules should be set before the challenge!
There are no rules. :) You can buy or rent new hardware at any time. Even trash-talk is encouraged. :DThe idea is to have a bit of fun and give our year-long folders support. :)

Reactions: cellarnoise

Markfw

May 16, 2002
OK< so I wanted to upgrade a box with newer nvidia drivers. It refused to and said (mint 19) something about certificate not found or updated or something. So I used update manager, then tried to update drivers. Well, it hosed the entire linux install. So now I am trying 19.2 alongside the others. So I am down 5 million ppd until its back up.

• Wow
Reactions: CuriousMike

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
My router is fine... Unless the power goes out in the house. For some reason, it changes all the IP addresses, so BOINCTASKS requires that I reconfigure every computer for the new IP address. and the BoincTasks master has to have every computers new IP address set also, as well, as FAHControl.

So I know what you mean about router issues.
This is not a router issue- but a configuration issue. Your user requirement is "static IP address for each client". In order to achieve this, you have several options.

Go to each client and configure the wired/wireless connection you're using for static IP address by specifying the IP address, subnet mask and gateway address. This is a bit heavy on the maintenance side, but still works should the DHCP service fail on your router. Make sure to only use IP addresses outside the DHCP's assigned address range to avoid duplicate assignments (but still within your net/subnet of course).

OR

Go to your router and configure your DHCP service (assuming you have the DHCP service running on the router and not on a separate device). Enter a static lease for each client (i.e. tying its MAC address to the IP address you'd like it to use). Again, make sure to only use IP addresses outside the DHCP's assigned address range to avoid duplicate assignments (but still within your net/subnet).

If you have a "cheap" consumer router, then you might only have a function to "remember" each client's IP address (has most likely to be activated for each client separately).

Edit: Although the first approach is more resilient, I actually prefer the second. That way I can make all changes in a central location. To make sure the DHCP service is always running, there is a "watchdog" that monitors all essential services and restarts them if necessary. (This is on pfSense, running on a Supermicro E200-9A with 16GB ECC RAM and a 256GB Intel SSD)

Last edited:
Reactions: VirtualLarry

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Day 4 stats: I found a spreadsheet error which failed to include @Icecold 's production in the moonshot total race points. Sorry about that. @Pokey suggested I clarify the bottom section and include more data on the total race points from previous years. There are 2 sections: One is total race points which includes the tally from this year's race and the previous 3 years and the other section is total team points (racers + other anandtech team members) which includes this years tally and the totals from the 3 previous years.

1638713552372.png

1638713600077.png

Markfw

May 16, 2002
@biodoc , when I go into driver manager in the home window of mint, its displays a list of driver, nvidia-495 is the recommended one, but everything is greyed out and you can't click on it to select it. Ideas ?

Or anyone who knows.....

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
@biodoc , when I go into driver manager in the home window of mint, its displays a list of driver, nvidia-495 is the recommended one, but everything is greyed out and you can't click on it to select it. Ideas ?

Or anyone who knows.....
If this is a clean install of the OS, have you tried 'sudo apt update' and then 'sudo apt upgrade' ? Also what is the output of 'nvidia-smi'?

Last edited: