16th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Race: The race is over and the Moonshots win!

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
Welcome to the 16th Annual intra-team Holiday Race between members of Team Anandtech. Participation is voluntary and the goal is to have a bit of fun while contributing to the scientific goals of the Folding@Home project. Just before the start of the race, I'll split the enrolled participants into 2 teams and choose captains for each team.

The race starts December 1, 12:00 UTC and ends January 1, 12:00 UTC
  • Please post in this thread if you intend to take part (see below for more info).
  • If you need help installing or running the F@H app go to this link or ask for help here. The TeAm AnandTech number is 198.
  • If you don't have a passkey, get one here. If you have a passkey you'll get bonus points.
  • You can join any time during the race and I'll decide which team you are assigned.
For those who want to participate:
Please post your forum name and your Folding@Home name in this thread and estimated PPD.
If you have a one or more GPUs, this database will give you an idea of expected PPD. The same site also has a CPU PPD database.
Please also indicate if you will participate for the full month or just part of the month.
I will put together the initial composition of the teams just before the start of the race.

@Pokey is the captain of the Moonshot Gang team
@Markfw is the captain of Mark's Marauders team

Enrolled participants (forum name - Folding@home name - Est. PPD - participation estimate (days or full month):

biodoc - biodoc - 5 million -full month
Orange Kid - OrangeKid - ? - part time
Markfw - markfw - 29 million - full month
crashtech - crashtech - 23 million - full month
voodoo5_6k - voodoo5_6k - 1.4 million - full month
icecold - Icecold - ? - part time
cellarnoise2 - cellarnoise2 - 2 million - full month
StefanR5R - xii5ku - 7.5 million - full month
Pokey - Pokey_TA - 30 million - full month
Assimilator1 - [TA]Assimilator1 - 0.4 million - part time
Endgame 124 - Endgame124 - 3 million - full time
Ken g6 - Ken_g6 - ? - part time
petrusbroder - TAS-petrusbroder - 1.8M - full month
salvorhardin - salvorhardin - 500k ppd - full month
CuriousMike - CuriousMike - ? - part time
LANMAN - LANMANTA - 20 miilion - full time
TennesseeTony - 10esseetony - 7 million - full time
Skillz - Skillz - ? - part time
kiska - kiska - ? - part time
QuietDad - QuietDad - ? - part time

Last edited:

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Orange Kid - OrangeKid - ? - As I can.

Time out for the PG challenge and maybe the last FB sprint.

Reactions: biodoc

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Of course I am in.. markfw markfw Average 29 million ppd, give or take. full month of course.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'm in, ~13 Mppd, full month.
If I have time, I'll start running next week to determine actual output.

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I'm in - folding name Icecold. I'm not sure how much my output will be and I'll need to pause all output from 7-17 December for the Primegrid challenge.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I've changed my mind about my output, going all in, should be in excess of 20Mppd. Since December is the only time I run F@H, I will not be running GPU in the Geminids Shower Challenge.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
BTW, primegrid is all CPU, correct ? If so I can put my 5950x's to work on it, and still stay at 100% on F@H

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
BTW, primegrid is all CPU, correct ? If so I can put my 5950x's to work on it, and still stay at 100% on F@H
The PG Geminids Shower Challenge is mainly a GPU race, though CPU works in one of the subprojects (GFN-21). I am not sure if CPUs are worth running in it, though. I'll put CPU in it if the gang thinks it's worthwhile.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
StefanR5R - xii5ku - 7.5 M - full month

I plan to align PPD with the heating requirements of the apartment, but for now I think these 7.5 M should fit.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
Hello all.
I made the mistake of “checking in” on you at the wrong time!!
I would like to dust off the rigs and get in the Dec FAH event if you’ll have me. Not sure of points but it could be 30M+/- if I remember. That’s assuming I can get them all updated and running again. They are last year’s rigs, no new hardware.
Folding name is still Pokey_TA.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
I'm in, but I can't even remember the right stats site to see my folding name! lol
I'll be in for most of the month, but I might miss the 1st couple of days as I'm not back home from my little holiday in France until the 1st.
Also, because my energy supplier went bust a couple of months ago, and I'm on a new tariff with a new company with gas prices shooting up, I haven't gotten around to seeing how expensive it's going to be. So to be on the safe side I'll only be running my main rig :(

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I'm in, but I can't even remember the right stats site to see my folding name! lol
I'll be in for most of the month, but I might miss the 1st couple of days as I'm not back home from my little holiday in France until the 1st.
Also, because my energy supplier went bust a couple of months ago, and I'm on a new tariff with a new company with gas prices shooting up, I haven't gotten around to seeing how expensive it's going to be. So to be on the safe side I'll only be running my main rig :(
Thats the site.

Reactions: Assimilator1

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
I’m in
Endgame 124 - Endgame124 - approximately 3m per day - full time.

3 mill power day anyway, Unless I happen to see a 3080ti in stock at microcenter and get myself a Christmas present. Or my team falls behind and I have to conjure up more hardware, but my max output without buying stuff probably isn’t much more than 3.2m per day.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
WOW, I have forgotten everything I ever knew. 😊

But I think I’ve got all the rigs updated and running. After a few hiccups updating Mint, most just picked up right where they left off.

One problem getting FAH Control working on one rig but I think it’s solved.

Questions:
1. Under Advanced tab, are we still picking “Covid-19” or do we run “All” now?
2. Under Expert tab, do we still add client-type advanced?

Thanks

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
WOW, I have forgotten everything I ever knew. 😊

But I think I’ve got all the rigs updated and running. After a few hiccups updating Mint, most just picked up right where they left off.

One problem getting FAH Control working on one rig but I think it’s solved.

Questions:
1. Under Advanced tab, are we still picking “Covid-19” or do we run “All” now?
2. Under Expert tab, do we still add client-type advanced?

Thanks
I'm on Debian, but it should be the "same", basically ;)

1. Any (at least that's what I've always been using)
2. Yes (I've been using it for quite some time thanks to one of @StefanR5R's tips)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pokey

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
I'll try to join this year. Username with an underscore: "Ken_g6". It should be interesting because my power company now has four peak hours a day when I want to shut down the client. Not sure what's the best way to do that - shut down early or pause an active WU?

Also, PrimeGrid. So I certainly won't be running all the time.

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
I'll try to join this year. Username with an underscore: "Ken_g6". It should be interesting because my power company now has four peak hours a day when I want to shut down the client. Not sure what's the best way to do that - shut down early or pause an active WU?

Also, PrimeGrid. So I certainly won't be running all the time.
Depends on how long you plan to pause (is this a consecutive 4h break you're planning on, or are these 4 peak hours distributed somehow over the day?). Because you'd lose the quick return bonus if the pause is too long.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
@biodoc, for balancing purposes, I think my production might be higher than I originally guessed. At least the way it looks now I may be closer to 40 mil. I'll check again when I get more data.

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
Not sure of points but it could be 30M+/- if I remember. That’s assuming I can get them all updated and running again. They are last year’s rigs, no new hardware.
At least the way it looks now I may be closer to 40 mil.
All: When was the CUDA based FahCore introduced? Was it just this year, or already in 2020?