16th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Race: The race is over and the Moonshots win!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Endgame124

Feb 11, 2008
Hey, before I am not speaking with half the TeAm for the next month... :)

I am running 1 GPU with no CPU slots allocated to folding@home on one Windows 10 computer that most of the time will just be crunching. Any suggestions on how to set up all remaining available CPU % for running BOINC, besides a few % to support the GPU running Folding@Home? And at this point any participants not on my future 1/2 of TeAm will be suspect? :)

Too many variables to really have a method or direct answer? Just observations from Task Manager or HWiNFO64 that I use?

I don't want any CPU cycles going to waste or my waist as the Galumpkis is "on that" task already... :)
The easiest method is to Set your boinc Client to use max CPU - 1. Ex, on a 4 cpu host, set Boinc to use 75%.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Well, let’s see. I averaged about 41mil last year and I am running the exact same rigs this year……………..
I have no idea why my production would be higher.
Either I will fall back to the norm, or everyone will see an increase.
Anyway, that's my line of thought right now.
The new cuda drivers.....I mean you could always turn them back on later. You are only supposed to add new hardware after we start... Se we want what your capability is NOW before we start.

cellarnoise

Mar 22, 2017
If you are not on my halfling team, I would run the old drivers for sure! I'd look up the specific one from the rounded door 1418 era :)

Correction year 1418 era. :) It is precious!

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
I am running 1 GPU with no CPU slots allocated to folding@home on one Windows 10 computer that most of the time will just be crunching. Any suggestions on how to set up all remaining available CPU % for running BOINC, besides a few % to support the GPU running Folding@Home?
How much load you can put on the CPU without reducing the F@h throughput too much depends on several factors:
  • How much is too much is ultimately a matter of your opinion.
  • The outcome depends on the GPU, the CPU, perhaps a little bit on RAM performance, in some cases on RAM size, and definitely on the kind of extra workload which you put on the CPU.
Just try different CPU percentages in BOINC and see what happens to F@h's PPD estimation.
Just putting a single logical CPU aside from BOINC can be enough. However, on several occasions I preferred to use only half of the logical CPUs of a HyperThreaded CPU in total. And from this half, I tend to use one logical CPU for each GPU application instance and just the rest for other BOINC applications.

(Though just one of my GPU equipped computers has got a big CPU. The others just have 4-core CPUs but dual GPUs, and I tend to dedicate this latter type of computers to GPU applications exclusively.)

PS,
I'm on the other team. Therefore you need to do exactly the opposite of what I am trying to talk you in to.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
So its Dec 1st in England, does this mean the race is started ?

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Are we supposed to choose an item in the "I support research fighting...", or leave it at the "Any disease" default?

Screenshot 2021-11-30 162052.jpg

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Hi @CuriousMike - 'Any disease' should be fine. That's how I have mine setup. in addition you may like the 'Folding@home Client Advanced Control' a bit more than the web version, unless you've already looked at it and prefer the web version. If you're running Windows and go under Start --> Folding@home --> FAHControl it will launch the desktop client that has more options and shows more information.

I take it by your post you're looking to join the Folding@home Holiday Season Race that starts in 12 hours? If so, welcome to the challenge we're glad to have you join in!

Reactions: biodoc and Markfw

Markfw

May 16, 2002
12 more hours to go. "The race starts December 1, 12:00 UTC and ends January 1, 12:00 UTC". It's currently 00:19 UTC :)
So, it begins at 4 am my time. BTW @Icecold I have not seen any output from you at all. Whats up ?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I am going to start bunkering now and will get up at 4.a.m. to launch!
bunkering does not effectively work in this app. Just turn it on now. There is no way to crunch, and stop upload, and you loose the bonus if you delay,

Reactions: cellarnoise

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
I was waiting on my parts to come in to get this setup-
[...]
I finally got it setup tonight, but I'm still ironing out a bunch of issues, which is why I didn't want to give a PPD estimate. Plus I won't be running the full month.
Wow, nice setup :) Congrats! Is this your dual Epyc or another system?

I wish, I could upgrade my GPU (or get additional ones), but I refuse to buy for these prices... So, my old and (t)rusty GM200 will have to do :D

The cheapest RTX3070 here is already over €1,000... For a €500,- card, that's already more than a year old tech. No, thanks. Maybe next gen.

Reactions: Assimilator1

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I was waiting on my parts to come in to get this setup-

View attachment 53662

I finally got it setup tonight, but I'm still ironing out a bunch of issues, which is why I didn't want to give a PPD estimate. Plus I won't be running the full month.
Since I have one, I will guess 16 million ppd. Lets see how close I am.

Edit: That would be under linux. Are these windows or linux ?

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
After my recent "we have a new Fahcore_22 for you but your CUDA version is too old to run it" surprise, emptying all queues, upgrading to Debian 11.1 and ramping up again, I'm now exactly where I used to be :D Just in time for the race :)

fah.png

biodoc

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2005
12 more hours to go. "The race starts December 1, 12:00 UTC and ends January 1, 12:00 UTC". It's currently 00:19 UTC :)

Correct. :) The time above will be "time 0" stats so any points awarded AFTER the start time will count in the race. I'll be collecting stats from the EOC stats site.

Reactions: voodoo5_6k

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Since I have one, I will guess 16 million ppd. Lets see how close I am.

Edit: That would be under linux. Are these windows or linux ?
It's Linux, and I think once it's stable will be around 14 million PPD. I meant that I didn't want to estimate my own PPD, though, since I wasn't(and still am not) sure how much of a role this machine will play in this race. I finally got it working last night, temporarily, but it's still really unstable and the 4th GPU dropped off overnight, so I currently have the machine turned off until I can troubleshoot further. It was kind of a pain to put together and get configured, so I don't really want to tear it down to put the GPU's in other machines without giving it a really good shot at figuring out how to make it function correctly. I do have a few other GPU's in the race, though, that are lower PPD than a 3070.

Wow, nice setup :) Congrats! Is this your dual Epyc or another system?

I wish, I could upgrade my GPU (or get additional ones), but I refuse to buy for these prices... So, my old and (t)rusty GM200 will have to do :D

The cheapest RTX3070 here is already over €1,000... For a €500,- card, that's already more than a year old tech. No, thanks. Maybe next gen.
I already had the cards, this is just my attempt at making a 'GPU crunching only' machine instead of having them spread out in other systems. It's a different machine - an i7 5930k in a Supermicro X10SRi-F with a bifurcation adapter card and PCIe x8 and x16 risers.

Yay, finally! The suspense was killing me :) Let the fun begin!
I agree :D

Last edited:

voodoo5_6k

Jan 14, 2021
I already had the cards, this is just my attempt at making a 'GPU crunching only' machine instead of having them spread out in other systems. It's a different machine - an i7 5930k in a Supermicro X10SRi-F with a bifurcation adapter card and PCIe x8 and x16 risers.
Wow, interesting. Hope, you'll get it stable. Although, I don't feel comfortable using risers, at least not the flexible ones. They tend to introduce inherent instability, hard to reproduce but enough to bring down the system whenever you turn your back on it ;)

This must be a hell of a crowded case :D Do you happen to have a picture of the internals?

Icecold

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
It's using risers since it's in a mining rack to spread the cards out, and the bifurcation cards aren't spread out enough themselves to plug the cards into even if it was a normal case. It's either this exact mining rack, or one similar - https://www.amazon.com/Mining-Support-Bitcoin-Ethereum-Dogecoin/dp/B095YKHT71 I definitely wouldn't use them if I didn't have to, though.

If I can get it working correctly I'll take some pictures and try to do a write up about it. 4 Decent cards are the limit I'm comfortable using a 120v/15amp circuit anyways, and Haswell has enough lanes to run 4 cards at PCIe 3.0 x8, so in theory it should be a good setup if I can get it configured correctly.