11th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season 3-way Race

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
b) The cost of entry into the top 20 is rather "expensive". VirtualLarry is right now at #20 at 545k ppd. You're not making it easy for those that are primarily folding with CPUs to get on that list. lol...
Two $200 3GB 1060s can do 800KPPD. If building new all you should need is a board with two PCIe slots. With a B150 and an i3 that's about $800, $1/1KPPD.

Reactions: crashtech

brownstone

Golden Member
Oct 18, 2008
You can probably just leave me off. My GPU keeps failing in the F@H client. I looked around the forum and it seems to be a driver issue. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a few newer games right now and don't want to roll back to an old driver. Sorry for the trouble.

I just realized a few days ago that BF1 and folding are not an option as I need the latest drivers for BF1, but the older drivers for folding....what's up with that Nvidia?

alpha754293

Nov 13, 2008
Two $200 3GB 1060s can do 800KPPD. If building new all you should need is a board with two PCIe slots. With a B150 and an i3 that's about $800, $1/1KPPD.

Yeah, I tried looking at a spreadsheet with data to find the optimal card for TCO, SWaP, and efficiency ($/ppd) and ended inconclusive mostly because the projects were changing, so not consistent enough testing acrossed the board (by using the same set of WU for data collection as the different projects can have a profound impact on ppd stats/production).

And like I've said, I'm not out to build a dedicated F@H machine, so it has to be practical and useful to me beyond just being a F@H machine.

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
You can probably just leave me off. My GPU keeps failing in the F@H client. I looked around the forum and it seems to be a driver issue. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a few newer games right now and don't want to roll back to an old driver. Sorry for the trouble.
The recommended driver is 373.06 which is not that old, was released 2 months ago.

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Gonna have to take my Fury out of this race. It's started to show mild artifacts when running at 1050 mHz boost clocks. I guess running at 100% load the whole time must've harsh on the chip.

Edit 1: Still trying to figure out the cause of the issue. I can see intermittent black horizontal lines while playing PlanetSide 2, though this happens maybe once or twice every 5 minutes.

Edit 2: Decided to resume, but I've downclocked the thing to 875 mHz. Fiji is actually quite energy efficient. https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/54dskp/experience_with_fiji_part_2_how_far_can_you/
What temp was the Fury running at?

Titillating

Assistant Community Manager
Sep 9, 2014
A final count of points accumulated during the race period:

TH 212,467,005
AT 296,180,869

Wow! Way to go, TeAm AnandTech!

I'll be forwarding this to the writers, and we'll get a piece up announcing the winners as soon as we can. Congratulations to you all; keep up the folding for the rest of your annual race!

Reactions: Ken g6 and biodoc

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Dang it, no updates to EOC, as the stanford stats server is down !!!

arg

Titillating

Assistant Community Manager
Sep 9, 2014
Dang it, no updates to EOC, as the stanford stats server is down !!!

arg

Yeah, looks like we're missing the final 3-hour period, so the numbers are slightly off, but they are impressive nonetheless!

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Here are the stats for December 7, 2016, the sixth day of the race and the final day of the race against Tom's Hardware.
The stats are from http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=, updated at 18:00 UTC (=12pm CST).
Only the points count. The ppd is there for information only.

The Teams' stats
33lnq7l.jpg

The numbers are off by three hours since the stats servers at F@H are behind schedule. But anyway:
The winner of the race between Tom's hardware and TeAm AnandTech is Team Anandtech.
The overall winner are the projects at Folding@Home and the science behind the computing.
Well done, all folders!

A diagram of the production of each team (Y-axis) for each day (X-axis)
ddnqew.jpg

The overtake stats
e8sq61.jpg

Thanks, Tom's Hardware, for a very nice and exciting first week of our 11th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season race!

The Yetis vs. The Snowmen
jiflow.jpg

The daily production for the teams
ja9zy1.jpg

The daily production for the racers
2h4wej7.jpg

The numbers are staring to pile up ... well done all racers!

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
It shall be interesting to see the internal race scores if we lose more racers now that Tom's has been defeated.

Been fun everyone. I just finished my last final exam so I'm gonna reward myself with some shooty games. I'll be shutting down. I'll be back next year hopefully with some new cards.

To those that we may be losing shortly, don't forget, if you need some heat this winter, you might as well download another round or two of Folding@Home! :)

I do understand 24/7 does not appeal to everyone, but after the sun sets and your head hits the pillow.....why not? ;)

Thanks to all who have contributed for an awesome start to this year's race! If you're bowing out now, don't forget us next year! I get the feeling we will be having a rematch with Tom's Hardware.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
I plan on folding the whole month, then Jan 2nd, I'm gonna fire up the 30lb air compressor in the garage and clean, clean the dust that's gonna be in the case. I hate having the side off but, she is staying cool now that its dropped into the 40's F outside, finally.

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
Since I'm vacation this week, which has sucked the most part. Been sick and it rained 4 days until the temp dropped. A round of Jim or Jack for everyone!

Reactions: TennesseeTony

Smoke

Distributed Computing Elite Member
Jan 3, 2001
@petrusbroder ....... I think AT has sealed up the victory nicely :)

No matter 6, 7 or 8 days, the old TeAm got 'er done. Great work everybody from our newest crunchers to our heavy hitters. Thank you, Titillating, for your sponsorship and donation to a very good cause.

To our worthy adversaries, Tom's Hardware, it was fun and especially rewarding in the knowledge that your team is now invigorated to achieve even higher goals. <Clink>:wineglass:<Clink>

BrainEater

Apr 20, 2016
Cheers AnandTech.good job !

:beercheers:

------

I wouldn't worry about 'ramping down' , you could lose 75% of your team and still beat us.
S'all good , science is the winner.
Our team is waay up too , which is cool.
I've got 5 video cards sitting here waiting for host machines , so we are still increasing.
But it looks like Pandegroup has given us stinkfruit for Christmas , what is up with these garbage 9040/9041 units.I've got a 1070 doing 90k a day , and one doing 20k .

:cool:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
...snip...
But it looks like Pandegroup has given us stinkfruit for Christmas , what is up with these garbage 9040/9041 units.I've got a 1070 doing 90k a day , and one doing 20k .

:cool:

Something is wrong with your setup. Do you have at least 10 units done under your passkey ? do you have a passkey ? is your box configured with a passkey ? I have NEVER seem any of my 12 video cards ever get under 250k under any circumstances (except the 290 does 220k all day every day) 1070's should be doing 400-600k,

Edit : just thought of more. What motherboard ? is your CPU running idle ? It should be until you get everything else nailed down. And 373.06 drivers ?

edit2: duhhhh(to me).... 9040 is a CPU unit.[ You need to add the GPU slot, and disable the CPU client for now....

edit3: that 9040 is an a4 core. I have never seen 90k even from my 24 core server, so for CPU thats great. My 24 core box is currently for CPU using 20 cores, on an a7 core, and getting 72k.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Been fun everyone. I just finished my last final exam so I'm gonna reward myself with some shooty games. I'll be shutting down. I'll be back next year hopefully with some new cards.

Guess I'll have to get some new cards too, to race you again. You beat me this first leg, fair and square. Of course, it took me a few days to ramp up, but still. Nice job!

BrainEater

Apr 20, 2016
haha , good catch , looking at the wrong thang.(on this machine)
One of my 1070's at work is doing 90k , there is no cpu folding running on that machine.I coulda sworn it said 9041 unit.I'm not there right now so I can't recheck.

Mark : yes,yes,yes,yes,yes,and yes.

I agree there is something wrong with that boxen.I've got a titan to add to it so I need to find out whats wrong.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
LOL, What Mark said.................. BrainEater, something is certainly wrong. Hope you get it figured out. Drivers, drivers drivers.........................

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
On page 22 of this thread, Storm Vanguard and myself were reporting GPU clock speed drops. A restart was required (although now I've learned closing F@H and restarting it works too).

I think I have narrowed this down to closing Firefox/Chrome, as I've witnessed it happen twice immediately upon closing my browser. Additionally, GPU Shark reports my browsers as being one of the tasks using 3D acceleration, adding evidence to support my theory.

BrainEater, with a mild overclock of 150core/475memory, my pair of 1070s average 1,400,000ppd. Get that problem figured out ASAP. ;) (driver version 373.06 I think is the most recent that is functional, although they say 372.70 here. Wow, stats are down for another TWO days. :(:coldsweat::confounded::fearscream: I'll be ok. I'll be ok. I'll be ok. I'll....

And about those 1070's.....NewEgg is sold out, but had open box units for a little over $330 today. Snatch them puppies if you ever see them at $350 or less in the near future! Larry, you could go from six cards to 2, save massive energy, and gain several hundred thousand ppd at the same time!

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Braineater, you did 1.4 million so far today ! and 2.3 million in the last 24 hours, and that with that stats down for the last 6 hours ! You sure you have a problem ???