11th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season 3-way Race

Page 28 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
The latter. It's about half the speed of a normal WU.
Yeah, deleting and re-adding the slot is the easiest way I have found to restart with a new WU. Of course, it might be another slow one. I can't monitor my machines enough to do that, but it does work.
Just a note that having a slow WU is not reason to delete it. This should only be done in the case of a WU that will not complete properly. :)

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Just a note that having a slow WU is not reason to delete it. This should only be done in the case of a WU that will not complete properly. :)
Of course I agree, yet especially in a short and lively competition, I can see why it would be done. It's not as if the science won't get done, the vast majority of Folders don't care which WUs they get.

BrainEater

Apr 20, 2016
Yep , looks like that was the problem.
I did re-install video drivers , but that whole 'full' OS drive thing was bad..

I borrowed that rig from a friend who hasn't used it in over a year (since our last LAN) ....he evidently downloaded a whole bunch of Steam games....
I deleted 3 and everything worked again.Your 'C' drive should never appear as a giant red bar under 'my computer'
haha
It's doing 550k right now.woop !
He's bringing me the psu cable I need to get the TITAN running too so...

------

My last problem appears to be close to fixed too : I have 2 NVidia 760's sitting here waiting for a host rig.
I have a dual pcie slot mobo running a q6600 waiting....what I don't have is a 32 bit OS.

Good old folding , always keeping you on your toes !

:beercheers:

Reactions: TennesseeTony

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have a dual pcie slot mobo running a q6600 waiting....what I don't have is a 32 bit OS.

I don't see the correlation. Q6600 is x64-compatible, you don't have to run a 32-bit OS, just to run F@H, that happens to be a 32-bit app.

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
True. To test this, go ahead and throw a fresh download of Windows10 on it. They will nag you to activate after three days. And the nag continues after 30 days. And 60 days. And....:smirk:

BrainEater

Apr 20, 2016
Yea , the mobo ain't tho.I get 32 bit fail on install of the 64 bit version.

No worries , got a 32 bit win7 on the way.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I never knew a motherboard would prevent a 64-bit install if the CPU was 64-bit.

Canadian bacon is like some kind of ham, really. Not like real bacon made from fat juicy pork belly.

Reactions: TennesseeTony

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Too bad the current scores are not accurate, for the "last 24 hours." The outage yesterday caused all the stats to come in at once when the system was back up and running. So I'm showing 8.6M and the TeAm is showing almost 70M. :D

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I never knew a motherboard would prevent a 64-bit install if the CPU was 64-bit.

Core2Quad machines ARE compatible with Win10 64-bit, except there are a few BIOSes out there that block some CPUID bits or something, that prevents detection of the necessary feature bits to run Win10 64-bit. Maybe try updating the BIOS first?

Reactions: crashtech

BrainEater

Apr 20, 2016
Hehe.

.. with extra bacon. American bacon. Not that Canadian stuff.

...Canadian bacon is like some kind of ham, really. Not like real bacon made from fat juicy pork belly.

-------
My 'Canadian Bacon' is the same thing you call "American Bacon"...nice thick strips you put in the frying pan...not that ham s&^t...

Yea folding !! I gotta go cook.

:tonguewink:

alpha754293

Nov 13, 2008
Yea , the mobo ain't tho.I get 32 bit fail on install of the 64 bit version.

No worries , got a 32 bit win7 on the way.

I didn't think that your mobo would care. If the CPU fits, and it'/ a 64-bit processor, then it goes.

If you're trying to upgrade an existing 32-bit install, this is when you usually will encounter this problem. (i.e. you're starting the installation from within a win32 install)

But if you do a fresh install (boot from the optical media or USB drive), you shouldn't have this problem, unless there is a setting in your BIOS that forces the CPU to run in ONLY 32-bit mode.

Canadian bacon is like some kind of ham, really. Not like real bacon made from fat juicy pork belly.

Rasher, according to wiki, is back bacon.

Ergo, that is the "real" bacon (a.k.a back bacon) rather than thin slices of pork belly.

(cf. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacon)

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Of course I agree, yet especially in a short and lively competition, I can see why it would be done. It's not as if the science won't get done, the vast majority of Folders don't care which WUs they get.
It will slow down the project in question because the WU will not be reassigned to someone else until the timeout deadline has passed, which can be a week or more. It is not worth possibly delaying scientific progress to get a few more PPD. :)

Reactions: VirtualLarry

borandi

Feb 27, 2011
Back bacon is real bacon; otherwise it's just all fat. You need some meat on there :)

It's great that in the space of 1/2 weeks we have overtaken:

TheTechReport
Hewlett Packard
Hardware Canucks Forum and
Tom's Hardware

Ionstream

Nov 19, 2016
What temp was the Fury running at?
I tweaked the fan curve to ensure it stayed below 70C. Not sure what the intermittent black horizontal lines were all about, but ever since I switched to the second BIOS (with higher power limits) and changed to the HDMI port, I haven't encountered any problems. I doubt it's my PSU, because it's a RM1000x from Corsair, which is plenty even for two CPUs and a Fury.

Some people say it's the software, some say it's the memory, others claim that it's interference from mobile phone signals. Whatever it is, I'm glad that I don't see it now, and I'm definitely not willing to risk it again.

ZipSpeed

Golden Member
Aug 13, 2007
FYI: I am seeing Windows 10 updates on my crunchers. I hate the fact that you can't ignore updates like you can on Windows 7. I have to make sure it's updated while I'm around otherwise they're going to restart outside the active hours.

Pokey

Platinum Member
Oct 20, 1999
FYI: I am seeing Windows 10 updates on my crunchers. I hate the fact that you can't ignore updates like you can on Windows 7. I have to make sure it's updated while I'm around otherwise they're going to restart outside the active hours.

Yep, they have gotten quite aggressive about forcing updates. You can make the argument that is a good thing but for DCers that rely on stable drivers, not necessarily so.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Here are the stats for December 9, 2016., the 8th day of the 11th Annual Folding@Home Holiday Season Race.
The stats are from http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=, updated at 21:00 UTC (=12pm CST).
Only the points count. The ppd is there for information only.

The Teams' stats
rbkz85.jpg

The Yetis vs. The Snowmen
15cocv7.jpg

The daily production for the teams

2945ssz.jpg

The daily production for the racers
140dz0g.jpg

Sorry for being late with the stats. The stats represent 27 hours of production, not 24 hours.
Anyhow: well folded!

Edit: Thanks Smoke for finding and pointing out an error in my spreadsheet.
The error has been corrected in the spreadsheet and in the tables above.

Last edited:

theAnimal

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2003
Yep, they have gotten quite aggressive about forcing updates. You can make the argument that is a good thing but for DCers that rely on stable drivers, not necessarily so.
I'm so glad the free upgrade failed on my PCs. :)

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
After you boot, disable the windows update service. Stop it, and set it to manual startup

Reactions: ZipSpeed

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I have gone into Services and disabled Windows Update on machines that I cannot don't always remember to monitor more than once a day. Of course, this should be re-enabled once in a while for security purposes.

Also, machines that are not intensively monitored get set to login automatically sans password just in case there is an unexpected failure.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZipSpeed
Nov 18, 2016
hello guys, i had some problems the last two days but thanks to you i may have found the cause. i experienced some system reboots seemingly at random and had to shut down everything hoping it was not the power supply telling me he didn't want to die yet. since shutting down F@H i've not experienced such issues anymore. however, as was pointed out two pages ago, it seems there is a bug correlated to firefox and 3D acceleration while folding; while that was for frequencies drops, indeed i have a correlation between it and at least one of the unexpected reboots. particularly, the machine completely crashed when i attempted to put a flash video fullscreen, which should engage the gpu in 3D activity. the strange thing is that at that time it was not the main gpu, the one tasked with 3D rendering, also the one engaged in folding; everything however seems to point to a software issue since the power supply doesn't even spin up his fan under load and it very well should if indeed the strain on it was too much. anyway, i will resume folding and keep an eye out for browser 3D acceleration just in case. however if i run into this constantly i may be forced to exit the race since i cannot risk to incur damage to this very expensive and not replaceable pc. :rolleyes:

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
PCs almost always will have built-in safeguards in place that will prevent damage from overheating. The drops some of us are experiencing are evidence of that. Some safeguard mechanisms can be overprotective; it's unlikely that F@H could damage a modern PC.