ZEN ES Benchmark from french hardware Magazine

Page 17 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
You're right, tag team. Faith makes that 8C 5GHz 95W sound so easily doable

None of your underlying assumptions have any hard data behind them... As explained a tireless amount of times. Unlinked, unconnected or ambiguous data exists but your link/jump from one to another requires a HUGE leap of... Faith.

Sent from HTC 10
(Opinions are own)
Where i am saying that it will have 5GHz@95W? FX9xxx have 220W TDP and clocks at 4.7/5GHz max. It's a 316mm2 chip. We can't have 220W on a <200mm2 chip, because it would melt. David Kanter on Real World Tech stated in a post that he never seen a chip with more than 1W per mm2 of TDP. I am not saying than you will have 95W@5GHz, but if a 316mm2 chip walls at 5.2GHz of OC, then another chip of 200mm2 walls at 5GHz, probabily the power consumed is not the same of the 316mm2 chip, because the area is smaller... So at same clock we have a chip that consumes less power... So probabily it will clock higher than the corresponding 8c@95W that was the FX8370E, rated at 3.3/4.3GHz... We all already know that the Zen base clock will be at least 3.4Ghz, so my statement is even backed up by official AMD statements. The only unknown is the turbo clock, but since at 5GHz draws less, probabily it will go higher than 4.3...

Stating that mine was faith ridiculize all my reasoning. I spent many time writing my reasoning and condensing all in the word faith, being an atheist, find this hylarious.
I have faith in my reasoning based on facts.
Stating that 5Ghz OC is ridicolous, without proof, is ridicolous...

Last edited:

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Plot twist: 5Ghz air validation, not actual stability of any sort.
Zen is soldered unlike core line.
It will oc to 5GHz
It will have great st perf
It will have great mt perf
Meaning eg excellent cache and brand prediction

It took some guys years to acknowledge bd was crap. Dont fall into that trap beeing so inflexible.
If you can not enjoy it at least get used to it. Better start now instead of resisting.

Reactions: coffeemonster

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
It will oc to 5GHz

It took some guys years to acknowledge bd was crap. Dont fall into that trap beeing so inflexible.
If you can not enjoy it at least get used to it. Better start now instead of resisting.

https://youtu.be/idRLZTy9Pio?t=5m looks like they are taking the DNA of both bulldozer (low FO4, i think) and Jaguar (low power)...

and

https://twitter.com/BitsAndChipsEng/status/814184127339655169

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
Actually, reading between the lines, it seems that there will be at least two models: one with base clock of 3.4GHz and one with higher base clock...
Or the reverse: there shall be a model with base clock below 3.4 and the one with 3.4 or higher base clock.
Semi-relevant.
It will oc to 5GHz
To what extent of stability? That was never specified and i have had few separate leaks hint that 5ghz on air would be bogus stability-wise.
In fact, i bet it will have better st perf than my present 6400 even in stock. How about that one?
See above.
Never reverse the order of implication and reason. It needs those to have great perf, st or mt.
Yeah I see where you got that, the 3.4 ghz or higher obviously meant 3.4ghz or lower. Wasn't this binary obviously fake by the way? What happened with that?
Don't cut yourself on that edge and grasp concept of SKUs. I understand, it's hard, but do it.

Last edited:

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
Or the reverse: there shall be a model with base clock below 3.4 and the one with 3.4 or higher base clock.

Yeah I see where you got that, the 3.4 ghz or higher obviously meant 3.4ghz or lower. Wasn't this binary obviously fake by the way? What happened with that?

qookap

Aug 17, 2015
Zen at 5ghz sounds ridiculous for one reason: AMD would be better than Intel. We can't absorb this kind of shock. Also, why are people saying this because of some flaky ENCODED magazine page?
I swear though, if AMD is trolling everyone with their 3.4ghz talk and then suddenly a huge OC bomb drops in all the reviews on release day, I will seriously laugh my ass off and then promptly buy a Zen platform.

5GHz is liquid nitrogen and 4.2@1.5V. 14nm shouldn't be able running here for long time.

"百度貼吧" always bullshit, just take a look...It's joke generator like FX 8350@5GHz(useless overclock lol)

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
You've been trolled :D

Zen does not run @5GHZ, peeps.

https://twitter.com/CPCHardware/status/814263696948162560

It says

Intel GPU = AMD

They're just joking around. Text being put in a binary translator does not make it reliable, or true.

Edit: The font sized looked kinda overkill, even for a title.

Maybe next time before writing a "jewel" like above (all with supersized, underlined font- yes before the edit), you can just copy/paste the binary code into one of many free online binary-to-text converters and see what it really means?

Ryzen around the 5 GHz some time ago :)

But of course, LN2 cooling

Thanks Flanker :). 5Ghz 2000 points (in R15 I suppose). So at base clock of 3.4Ghz it should be doing 2000 x 3.4/5=1360pts, just like some of the earliest Chinese leaks pointed out ( 1300+ points in CB R15 for top of the line SKU). If AMD manages all core boost of around 3.6Ghz then it should be almost touching 1500pts. Excellent :)

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016
Don't cut yourself on that edge and grasp concept of SKUs. I understand, it's hard, but do it.

"Our Ryzen processors at launch will have a frequency of 3.4ghz or higher" Word for word. So unless you think the lower core count SKUs will be clocked lower or something I don't know how you got the less than 3.4ghz. You seem to just be grasping at straws tbh.

Also you didn't answer my second question... I thought the binary string was obviously fake and photoshopped on the online pub, what happened with that?

bjt2

Sep 11, 2016
I don't get it. 28nm BULK allow 4 base and 4.3 turbo and 4.9 overclock.
14nm is way better than 28nm bulk.
Now we must only know the FO4.
Hint: Keller speech. https://youtu.be/idRLZTy9Pio?t=5m stating they have put bulldozer DNA in Zen. This can only mean the FO4 and a long pipeline. It was even simplified! (6x1way scheduler vs 1x4 way scheduler)
With low FO4 and better process, Zen should reach higher frequencies than excavator...

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
"Our Ryzen processors at launch will have a frequency of 3.4ghz or higher" Word for word. So unless you think the lower core count SKUs will be clocked lower or something I don't know how you got the less than 3.4ghz. You seem to just be grasping at straws tbh.

Also you didn't answer my second question... I thought the binary string was obviously fake and photoshopped on the online pub, what happened with that?

It was not Photoshopped. If Zen can achieve 5Ghz on air is a different matter.

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016

Agreed on both counts, I just find it funny that he was adamant before that it was photoshopped, now he conveniently ignores that it wasn't and moves on to another random made up gripe like interpreting "3.4Ghz or higher" as "3.4Ghz or lower."

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
Yep, it is in the magazine and not photoshopped. Also the hint never said Zen achieves a stable 24/7 OC of 5Ghz on air, just that it can clock that high which is still great news. People with high end WC setups will likely reach 4.3-4.5Ghz stable clocks if chip is able to run at 5Ghz clock.

lolfail9001

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2016
You thought, not I, so ask yourself.
"Our Ryzen processors at launch will have a frequency of 3.4ghz or higher" Word for word.
See Rx480 campaign to understand why this statement means that there shall exist at least 1 SKU with base frequency of 3.4ghz or higher. Does not have be one, but does not mean "all will" either.
Agreed on both counts, I just find it funny that he was adamant before that it was photoshopped, now he conveniently ignores that it wasn't and moves on to another random made up gripe like interpreting "3.4Ghz or higher" as "3.4Ghz or lower."
Of course i ignore it, i was provided evidence i have asked. Learn to be skeptical, mr "I thought". Not to mention, this binary code thingy looked too ugly to be real. Apparently, French have bad taste of layout in their easter eggs.
Frequency is not about process since at least 32nm.
Do Broadwell and Haswell have different FO4, by the way?

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
14nm is way better than 28nm bulk.
Hint: Keller speech. https://youtu.be/idRLZTy9Pio?t=5m stating they have put bulldozer DNA in Zen. This can only mean the FO4 and a long pipeline. It was even simplified! (6x1way scheduler vs 1x4 way scheduler)
With low FO4 and better process, Zen should reach higher frequencies than excavator...
He said they took the best of both zen and jag. You cant derive much from it regarding if this oc to 4 or 5GHz imo.
We have canard saying 5GHz on air. Not LN stability whatever crap. It means what it means. Its the same as kbl 5GHz on air. I find the rest nitpicking.
As for the Keller interview did you mention how he described i asume bd arch as trying to "make the ocean boil". Lol.

Last edited:

HiroThreading

Apr 25, 2016
Ryzen may not be enough to knock Intel off the performance throne, but it will offer some serious competition.

This is fantastic news. I honestly prefer Intel platforms, but if AMD can give Intel a good smackdown in the performance class ($200-600), then this is great for all PC (and Hackintosh! Haha) enthusiasts.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
You do realize the binary code that's been asked about in that tweet is from an older publication from March 2016? Their response is basically, "we were right, weren't we?"

It's not the same page. The "Intel is using AMD GPUs" rumor has been somewhat confirmed lately, so it makes their new publication with the "Zen on air OC = 5GHz" code even more credible. This is the opposite of trolling. It seems your mind short-circuited for a moment, as I like to call these moments ;)

Think about it. The twitter message is dated from 6th December, when the AMD graphics licensing deal was lifted and floated around in many news. So this is just based on the licensing deal, means there is no confirmation for an Intel chip with AMD graphics. You may be wasn't aware that Intel had previously such a deal with Nvidia, do you see Intel CPUs with Nvidia graphics build in somewhere? The credibility of this magazine is very low therefore, they are just trolling around and the people buy it. They also denied the 5 Ghz air message, it was just another trolling.