Zen delayed to 2017 (DigiTimes)

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
If Intel and MS play it right they could still keep their unofficial alliance going strong for business use just like once blackberry. If you phone can also be your computer and you can just dock it and work on a bigger screen like a normal computer, that sounds pretty great to me for all manager type persons. It obviously greatly depends on MS delivering a usable surface phone.
Take a look a the new HP Elite X3 .... thats sound exactly like what you describe http://store.hp.com/us/en/ContentView?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&eSpotName=Elite-x3

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016
This leaked roadmap is about the "PRO" products, that is, not the consumer ones. It says nothing about standard solutions, which normally are coming earlier to market than the professional versions.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Take a look a the new HP Elite X3 .... thats sound exactly like what you describe http://store.hp.com/us/en/ContentView?storeId=10151&catalogId=10051&eSpotName=Elite-x3

More or less expect that it's powered by ARM and not Intel (x86). Which means it can't really be a full laptop replacement. It needs some sort of virtualization (HP Workspace) which requires additional IT resources (http://www.zdnet.com/article/hp-see...sing-piece-of-the-microsoft-continuum-puzzle/). What I was thinking was an x86 Phone. Hence you don't need anything extra as it's a full functional x86 win10 but with phone capabilities. Still, this device shows that there are other people that think this could be a highly profitable market and yeah you don't need to be a genius to see that.

I think Intel isn't quiet there yet and given their recent actions (canceling mobile SOCs) probably sadly won't be anytime in the near future. But a core-m powered phone would be pretty cool. I would also imagine the dock to offer additional cooling to increase clock speed and performance. How? no idea. Peltier cooler?

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
I think Intel isn't quiet there yet and given their recent actions (canceling mobile SOCs) probably sadly won't be anytime in the near future. But a core-m powered phone would be pretty cool. I would also imagine the dock to offer additional cooling to increase clock speed and performance. How? no idea. Peltier cooler?

That hits the nail on the head, intel does not have any more interest in the phone soc market, unless AMD brings something there its highly probable that there will be no x86 phone

FlanK3r

Sep 15, 2009
Its psosible A0 is not final revision and clocks? Example retails will be A1 nad about +200 MHz higher clocks? (so around 3GHz and up to 3500 MHz turbo) ?

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006

8LFyenx.png

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
That sheet looks so poorly made (visually) that I wonder if it's even real. There should be no reason to forge it thou.

Aug 11, 2008
That sheet looks so poorly made (visually) that I wonder if it's even real. There should be no reason to forge it thou.

Yea, looks bogus to me. Just look at the timeline. The arrow for Zen and the circle at the top are at the beginning of 2016 (obviously incorrect) while the big bold, letters say 2017. If that was made by AMD, they should hire me as an artist. I have no artistic ability, but at least I can make a powerpoint slide.

Mar 10, 2006
Yea, looks bogus to me. Just look at the timeline. The arrow for Zen and the circle at the top are at the beginning of 2016 (obviously incorrect) while the big bold, letters say 2017. If that was made by AMD, they should hire me as an artist. I have no artistic ability, but at least I can make a powerpoint slide.

You would be amazed at how sloppy such slides are from both AMD and Intel. I think it's legit.

The Stilt

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2015
Its psosible A0 is not final revision and clocks? Example retails will be A1 nad about +200 MHz higher clocks? (so around 3GHz and up to 3500 MHz turbo) ?

I've heard from multiple sources that A0 is the current stepping. The CPU Lisa Su displayed at Computex was also A0 stepping. If AMD plans to release any Zeppelin based chips (regardless of the segment) prior the end of Q1 of 2017, then ZP-A0 is the final (major) stepping. Minor revisions (A0x, essentially hotfixes / workarounds) could be possible, but there is no way they can launch anything that has major changes in it prior that. In order to be able to ship any final silicon even on 31.12.2016, they must have completed all the validations of the silicon revision in question by the end of September (at latest). Since A0 is the current revision, there is no way to make & validate a new revision in just less than two months. So there are two options, either A0 is the stepping Zeppelin is going to launch on or the release will be postponed until the spring.

AMD has worked on Zen so long that I don't think they're able to squeeze much more out of it with a respin. I find the aging of the process to be much more potent way to increase the frequencies, in case of 14nm LPP. That obviously is not going to happen over night, but the improvements should be quite steady. That was the case with 32nm SHP and 28nm HPP at least.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
That puts it in Kaby Lake-S time frame, and closer to Skylake-X / Kaby Lake-X than Broadwell-E. Once again DigiTimes and their 'industry sources' got it right.

Reactions: Drazick

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
That puts it in Kaby Lake-S time frame, and closer to Skylake-X / Kaby Lake-X than Broadwell-E. Once again DigiTimes and their 'industry sources' got it right.

The same article claims that Kaby Lake will also be delayed to 2017, so it seems less a case of any "industry sources" and more a case of guesses being sometimes right.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
The same article claims that Kaby Lake will also be delayed to 2017, so it seems less a case of any "industry sources" and more a case of guesses being sometimes right.

Kabylake-S launch in Q1 2017 is no delay if you look closer to older Roadmaps. We knew that since months, only the ULT SKUs are for 2016. Sure digitimes wasn't aware of it, it just makes it clear that they have different sources. The big question for Zen is can it launch in January or will it slip even further back. At this point AMD won't tell us this or they don't know yet.