Discussion Zen 5 Speculation (EPYC Turin and Strix Point/Granite Ridge - Ryzen 9000)

Page 838 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OneEng2

Sep 19, 2022
AMD hasn't OoOE'd the SMT away. 8-wide decode on Zen5 is only really feasible with SMT-enabled.

Intel has too much OoOE optimization to make SMT have a worthwhile massive uplift.
True that. It seems like they have Zen 5 balanced pretty well with respect to decode, execution, and retire paths. It wouldn't be able to feed all those execution units in parallel without the wide decode front end.

OneEng2

Sep 19, 2022
Intel never got more than 10% for some reason. Their design must be garbage.
Ya know, I really don't quite understand this, but you are right (although I generally hear 10-15%). Intel was first to the desktop with SMT. Before P4, SMT was only used in high end server/workstation chip designs. Strange that they haven't managed to get better at it in all these years.

Also interesting is the spin from the 2 companies. When AMD had only SMP, their marketing spin was "we believe in having FULL cores". Now I hear the same type of discussion from Intel. It didn't go so well for AMD. Hope Intel has better luck with the idea.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
True that. It seems like they have Zen 5 balanced pretty well with respect to decode, execution, and retire paths. It wouldn't be able to feed all those execution units in parallel without the wide decode front end.
I'm really, really hoping AMD improves Zen 6 such that both sets of decoders can work on the same thread in SMT-off mode. Then for those who want maximum MT throughput, they can leave SMT on. For those who want a stronk core, they can turn SMT off.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
I'm really, really hoping AMD improves Zen 6 such that both sets of decoders can work on the same thread in SMT-off mode. Then for those who want maximum MT throughput, they can leave SMT on. For those who want a stronk core, they can turn SMT off.

Given that Mike Clark himself was confused for a bit over whether both sets of decoders could be utilized without SMT, my guess is that it's just bugged in Zen 5.

DavidC1

Dec 29, 2023
If it’s a bug, I hope it can be addressed via some sort of microcode update.
The problem is, we already know what to expect from Zen 6. If they are updating the clustered decode to work that way, a significant portion of the 10 or so percent gains will be entirely due to the decode change.