Question Zen 4 builders thread

Page 60 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SK10H

Jun 18, 2015
New BIOS from Asrock rocks. :cool: Updated BIOS to 1.18AS04 ComboAM5 1.0.0.5c. Older 1.0.0.4 BIOS takes min 33-40 secs for cold/hot reboot before monitor turn on. New BIOS takes on average 8 secs with min value ~5 secs but is very rare.

People with Asrock and GSkill Flare X5 6000 which uses Richtek PMIC should come out from the shadow and do your testing again. It unlocks the high voltage mode!! :D
Either CL28 or tRCD36 used to error out within minutes at 1.43v, currently set to 1.48v in BIOS and testing fine at both CL28 and tRCD36.

High voltage 1.48v Flare X5 Richtek PMIC.png

SK10H

Jun 18, 2015
I also try to do an idle / light load test and see how the Eco PBO 65W mode compare to the good old static 1.025v 4.8Ghz cool and quiet mode. I try to make it as fair as possible on both idle and light load test by not doing anything else. Both obviously include the capturing software usage, so probably not so fair to the PBO side.

Idle* Test

The Eco mode simply cap the PPT as it makes no attempt to lower the overvolted 1.3-1.4 vcore when core speed is only in the 1-4Ghz range. It usually burn 15-25W CPU power. I don't know if it's a limitation because it may degrade the cpu quickly if AMD set it to 1v on low speed and spike to ~1.4-1.52v quickly and repeatedly.

The manual 1.025v static 4.8GHz uses ~7-9W CPU power.

Light load test on streaming quote from Tradingview on 1 Chrome window only

The Eco mode light load test use ~28W on avg, spike to ~46W max CPU power.

The manual 1.025v static 4.8GHz use ~9-12W on avg, spike to 18W max CPU power.

Using Asrock Blazing OC Tuner 1.04 to test, the feature is a bit limited. Although I can set either static OC or PBO mode manually, it does not provide a way to set this by schedule to define how it would run automatically. Also it would have been excellent if I can just right click on systray and select the OC or PBO mode easily instead of opening it up like this.

Since I use this as a 24/7 server/vm/gaming comp, it seems to be more efficient to just set static OC manually most of the time, forget about Eco mode, and only turn on PBO mode through the App when gaming.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
He said that sometimes the memory doesn't initialize when you enable fast boot.
Sounds like fast boot should make sure memory is already initialized before handing over to the OS. (This makes it sound like there were parts being reinvented for little reason. Isn't this being done already anyway?)

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Anyone else have updated to 1.0.0.5c?

Updated to it on my X670E Aorus Master. All my previous settings working fine.

I was hoping to see the Cache/memory analysis feature that was shown in the ASUS 1.0.0.5C update, but I see nothing of the sort. At this point unsure if ASUS exclusive feature or if it's just hidden without an X3D CPU installed.

Reactions: lightmanek

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Updated to it on my X670E Aorus Master. All my previous settings working fine.

I was hoping to see the Cache/memory analysis feature that was shown in the ASUS 1.0.0.5C update, but I see nothing of the sort. At this point unsure if ASUS exclusive feature or if it's just hidden without an X3D CPU installed.
Do you save your settings to a flash drive and then import them or manually change them each time?

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Do you save your settings to a flash drive and then import them or manually change them each time?

Doesn't seem to be a way to save a bios profile on my gigabyte board (at least not that I could find in the UEFI or in the manual) so I have to re-enter everything every time.

They do allow saving of fan profiles, but those didn't work across this last update to 1.0.0.5C so I had to re-enter the fan profiles by hand as well.

o_O

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'll update my Asus ROG X670E Extreme to 0922 tonight. I'll save off my settings from 0902 to USB and import them. Won't use CO values afterwards since every AGESA is different.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Doesn't seem to be a way to save a bios profile on my gigabyte board (at least not that I could find in the UEFI or in the manual) so I have to re-enter everything every time.

There is one, in advanced mode menu, of saving. Compared to MSI it even works between BIOS versions, i was very surprised it did.

EDIT: At least on B650M Aorus Elite Ax, the unbreakable retarded streak of borked AMD BIOS'es continues. After reboot HWinfo64 is missing all MB related items like Fan Speeds etc. Obviuosly Fan Control does not work either. Proud of those guys and their testing.
EDIT2: C-States also broken, CPU can't go lower than C1 and lovely burns the power @35W idle.

Last edited:

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
Is 1.0.0.5C Beta for you guys with Asus, ASRock, and Gigabyte boards? It is for MSI.

Mine was not beta, but completely unworkable, returned back to F3h on B650M Aorus Elite ax.

Everything working just great on trip back, including loading the profile from M.2 drive partition. They have this part of solution figured out.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
There is one, in advanced mode menu, of saving. Compared to MSI it even works between BIOS versions, i was very surprised it did.

EDIT: At least on B650M Aorus Elite Ax, the unbreakable retarded streak of borked AMD BIOS'es continues. After reboot HWinfo64 is missing all MB related items like Fan Speeds etc. Obviuosly Fan Control does not work either. Proud of those guys and their testing.
EDIT2: C-States also broken, CPU can't go lower than C1 and lovely burns the power @35W idle.

Can you specify where the feature is in your bios? I'd like to look. I was pretty irritated when I couldn't find any way to save a UEFI config after getting the board.