Question Zen 4 builders thread

Page 70 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
any of you running msi boards? I've gone ahead and ordered some RAM and other bits and bobs while they're cheap. The MSI boards seem to be a nice mix between good features, components and price.

unfortunately I had a little mishap while doing renovations last week and managed to end up having to get checked out in case. in said mishap I managed to destroy some expensive office equipment that I'm now trying to figure out how to replace on those and cleaning bits of shards of glass here and there.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
any of you running msi boards? I've gone ahead and ordered some RAM and other bits and bobs while they're cheap. The MSI boards seem to be a nice mix between good features, components and price.

unfortunately I had a little mishap while doing renovations last week and managed to end up having to get checked out in case. in said mishap I managed to destroy some expensive office equipment that I'm now trying to figure out how to replace on those and cleaning bits of shards of glass here and there.
I have the B650 Edge. I've had several MSI boards over the years and when I started looking at the AM5 boards they seemed to have what I was looking for. Not disappointed at all in my choice so far although there have been a couple of times I wish I had a clear CMOS on the back of the board. I have a vertical mount GPU and it's hard to reach. I just bought a 3 pack of switches though that should allow me to have an external switch now if I need it. One day I'll stop fiddling with the BIOS settings and it won't be needed! :p

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
What does Commited Memory in Task Manager mean?

Currently on a 32GB system, i have opened Opera browser (takes cca 1,7GB), 3dsmax with 2GB scene (takes cca 8,3GB) and Octane Render with relatively big scene taking 12GB of VRAM (and cca 6GB in system RAM). RAM "in use" in Task Manager says 24,4GB, commited says 63,4/71,9 GB. What is it, does it mean if i had more than 32GB of physical RAM, it would be all used?

Just trying to figure out, whether this is a sign i should consider adding another 64GB kit of RAM to my new AM5 system for 128GB total, even if its gonna run at just 3600MHz. Up until now i thought i might be fine with just 64GB i already got, because i only paid attention to available/in use RAM, but this got me thinking.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
What does Commited Memory in Task Manager mean?

Currently on a 32GB system, i have opened Opera browser (takes cca 1,7GB), 3dsmax with 2GB scene (takes cca 8,3GB) and Octane Render with relatively big scene taking 12GB of VRAM (and cca 6GB in system RAM). RAM "in use" in Task Manager says 24,4GB, commited says 63,4/71,9 GB. What is it, does it mean if i had more than 32GB of physical RAM, it would be all used?

Just trying to figure out, whether this is a sign i should consider adding another 64GB kit of RAM to my new AM5 system for 128GB total, even if its gonna run at just 3600MHz. Up until now i thought i might be fine with just 64GB i already got, because i only paid attention to available/in use RAM, but this got me thinking.

Committed memory is the total memory in use. As you have 32GB of RAM, the rest is virtual or your SSD or HDD filling the rest.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Tim could you take a beating on memory freq and go with one of them 192 gb kits now or are your render apps memory freq sensitive?

Timmah!

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2010
Tim could you take a beating on memory freq and go with one of them 192 gb kits now or are your render apps memory freq sensitive?

192GB kits are not being sold here in my country yet, would need to order one from Amazon. Additionally, i already paid like 500 EUROs for the RAM i got (G-Skill 64GB Neo5Z 6000), cant return it now, but i should not be reselling it either (as its been purchased "on" company, i mean for administrative reasons). All in all, my best bet would be getting one more kit like i already have, but i would have to run it at 3600 most likely (unless this gets "fixed" by future BIOS/Agesa).

I am rendering on GPU, the system RAM comes into play only during loading/caching the scene (and the one i did yesterday filled entire 32GB of RAM), so the RAM frequency is not that important i guess, 3600 would be acceptable. But i do use do computer for other things like CAD, photoshop and would like do a bit of gaming as well, in other words things benefittting from faster RAM, so its a conundrum. Thats way i inquired about commit charge - i did bit of googling myself and it seems its only reserved memory space, demanded by apps, but not neccesarily used, so i will be probably fine with "just" 64GB. Thus i will probably stay put for time being and only get more RAM if the need truly arises. Maybe at that point those 128/192 kits will be readily available, for lower price as well.

Reactions: A///

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
So if had 63GB of commited memory, does it mean i could use that much of physical one?
That would depend on what is running at the time. Windows attempts to use the physical ram first. In your example, if you had 64GB of physical Ram, you would used little to no virtual ram.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
Is the PBO really worth doing? Is it actually supposed to take 2.5 or 3 hours? I tried to do it a couple weeks ago, but got impatient and stopped it halfway through and I ended up having to reset my bios to get it working again.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Is the PBO really worth doing? Is it actually supposed to take 2.5 or 3 hours? I tried to do it a couple weeks ago, but got impatient and stopped it halfway through and I ended up having to reset my bios to get it working again.

I would say, if you have the cooling, yeah, probably. Unless you just don't need the extra performance. The 7950X3d is beastly enough on its own that maybe you don't.

@Det0x

Interesting results on the delid. I think I'm gonna skip that and just rely on my new waterblock and old rad to carry the day. What's interesting is you got such huge drops on a few cores, but your tctl only dropped by 6C.

Reactions: Det0x

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
For over or under-clocking ? I do PBO CO -25, and it takes 5 seconds and done. Runs 142 watts @ 90-95% of the performance of regular at almost half the wattage.

as to the 7950x3d, I got it 5 minutes after it was available, on newegg, and they had it for 2 hours. Almost got 2 just due to stuff like this.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
where did you get a 7950x3d? I took today off to see if I could grab one now and get a janked build up and running but was turned away at 7 stores.

I bought mine like 10 minutes after it launched following an unlisted Amazon link (or whatever it was, maybe it was a NewEgg link). After losing mine from the amd.com shopping cart before I could finish buying it.

Scalpers are selling them for $1300 right now. Le sad. But the 7900X3D is still available for anyone that wants one.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I bought mine like 10 minutes after it launched following an unlisted Amazon link (or whatever it was, maybe it was a NewEgg link). After losing mine from the amd.com shopping cart before I could finish buying it.

Scalpers are selling them for $1300 right now. Le sad. But the 7900X3D is still available for anyone that wants one.
oh that. i noticed the date on the listing link last week and didn't place that the page was always there but unlisted through serps and internal search. the amazon page shows the page came online in september around the launch period but was never publicly accessible until 3d launch dates. don't know how anyone can figure those pages out unless they have a contact within.

That isn't too bad a price! before c19 the scalper prices for the 3950x were far higher. the 3950x took over six months for general availability to come online and this was due, and something you and i discussed and argued about and amd admited they never thought it would get the take rate it did. on the one hand I can see why they thought that and on the other they must have forgotten how well the 1800x sold when ryzen first launched. 8 cores for $500 was a steal given what intel was trying to charge back then.

Reactions: Markfw

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
8 cores for $500 was a steal given what intel was trying to charge back then.

Yeah glad I got one of those on launch day too. That was a heck of a CPU for its time. Not sure if 7950X3D warrants quite as much hype (maybe it does), but Zen5 certainly will whenever it comes out.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Yeah glad I got one of those on launch day too. That was a heck of a CPU for its time. Not sure if 7950X3D warrants quite as much hype (maybe it does), but Zen5 certainly will whenever it comes out.
I knew a lot of people in my tech circle who got one. I was the only one who didn't due to not wanting to use a 1st gen product. Now tell me why I want the 7950x3d? when the memory issues of 1st gen ryzen came out I definitely didn't want it. I did consider getting a 20 something x but ended up not finding a real need for it. X470 and B450 had some wicked good mobos. My go to budget board of that gen has to be the tomahawk.

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
Watch out if you (or anyone else) has the same PBO scheduling bug I have seen since launch. When I enable PBO in any way, scheduling just starts slapping singlethread loads on the V$ CCD only, and doesn't even respect the preferred cores anymore.

Reverting PBO to off immediately fixes it. Easy to see with Cinebench single, it appropriately schedules to the preferred cores on the frequency CCD, but with PBO on it just round robin jumps around all the cores on the V$ CCD.

I hope they fix it soon.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Tried the new BIOS update on my MSI B650 Edge. The memory context restore doesn't work for me. PC won't boot with it enabled. I get BSODs right after the post screen. As soon as I disable it it boots. Haven't tried it with it set to AUTO.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I am very happy with the kit in my sig. I am able to use the Bullzoid meme timings from the video.

Easy memory timings for Hynix DDR5 with Ryzen 7000
I didn't know Corsair was using Hynix dies. Is the Dominator series a higher end memory series from them?

I'm using this kit of Teamgroup at 6200C30 with Buildzoid's timings. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B3HGJ4V7?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Yes that is the exact pair I've been looking at but on newegg. I've been following the lad's memory discussions on DDR5 with great interest for a while. Even 32 gb is very overkill for my needs. It's not as cheap as good 32 gb ddr4 was not long ago or now, but it'll get there.

I would eventually love to see mobos and processors be capable of not experiencing such speed loss with 4 populated slots.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
That Teamgroup memory looks like a good deal, but it doesn't have Expo. Is that needed? Otherwise I was going to the G.skill CL30 6000 pack that costs a bit more.

I'm wondering what the 7800X3D availability will be like. I'm hoping at least Microcenter will have decent availability for it.